Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Teenage Depression

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    wow....the first person i really told of ''medial profession'' was the school nurse, and her answer was ''you can't be depressed at your age'' eventually when i went back to the doctors, they told me they couldn't offer me councelling because it was adults only, and the only 1 for young people was full, and for serious cases. So basically because i wasn't threatening to kill myself they weren't interested. Eventually i saw another doctor (who we know because he's 1 of my brothers friends dad) and he put me on propanolol for the anxiety and reffered me to councelling....same sugery aswell!
  • Options
    I don't think you can be clinically depressed at say 12 or 13, they are the developmental years of your life, everyone feels the world is against them at that age, you then sorta grow out of that.

I think with my prolonged ecstacy use I've done something fucked up with my seritonin levels, usually quite lethargic and not my usual happy self, though I don't want to kill myself or want to self harm or nothing like that.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I don't think you can be clinically depressed at say 12 or 13, they are the developmental years of your life, everyone feels the world is against them at that age, you then sorta grow out of that.

I think with my prolonged ecstacy use I've done something fucked up with my seritonin levels, usually quite lethargic and not my usual happy self, though I don't want to kill myself or want to self harm or nothing like that.
    i dont see how being bullied and being depressed about it at 9/10 years old is any different from being bullied and being depressed about it at say 13/14 it was still the same typical feeling
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    i dont see how being bullied and being depressed about it at 9/10 years old is any different from being bullied and being depressed about it at say 13/14 it was still the same typical feeling

Being clinically depressed and feeling depressed are two different things, I just don't think young people are in the right stage of mind to be clinically depressed.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Being clinically depressed and feeling depressed are two different things, I just don't think young people are in the right stage of mind to be clinically depressed.
    so what is the difference between feeling depressed and being clinically depressed
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    so what is the difference between feeling depressed and being clinically depressed

Well being really sad and feeling no one understands you is not clinical depression. There's plenty of info on the internet about the thing. Do a search, i'm just saying the typical teenager going through puberty who's having a tough time aint depressed.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    That happens a lot of the time with the teaching profession.

If you become quiet and introverted because of the bullying the teachers just think its your fault, you should go and play with the other children and stop thinking that you're better than everyone else.

Teachers are worse than useless when it comes to bullying. Schools deny that it happens, "We don't have any bullying here", and ignore the pupils who are being bullied at their school.

That is indeed very true. I remember in Year 9, I was being bullied for no reason at all. Even when someone was bullying me right front of the teacher, she just turned a blind eye and did nothing. And for the past two years, she's being having digs at me for various things. (Being kicked off one of my lessons, taking loads of time off school [not my fault though] and needing to go home for various reasons)
  • Options
    You can be depressed at any age, its not something that comes with adulthood. Children don't tend to get depressed, but that doesn't mean they can't.

Turlough is meaning the difference between depression and dysphoria. People who are a bit dysphoric will say they are "depressed" when they aren't strictly so; the term "depressed" has come to mean feeling low. It's not strictly accurate, but its what it means colloquially.

The defintion of depression is prolonged feelings of sadness, emptiness, lethargy, and so on. The key is prolonged. Teen angst can often actually be classified as depression it is so severe. People tend to ignore the feelings of teenagers because of the whole "teen angst" thing. Just because it can be attributed to hormones does not make the feelings less real, and it is dealing with the feelings that is so important.

Youths can get depressed, it is often more likely in them. I find it disturbing how people denigrate what can be very severe feelings just because the person feeling them is 14.
  • Options
    in year 5, it was the end of the school day and we were all sat around with our coats and bags ready to go home, the teacher was sat at their desk. And i cant remember what or why, but i remember the whole class smirking, laughing and pointing at me. I was sat there in tears right infront of her and all she did was mouth to me ''are you ok?'' Do i bloody look ok? I think they don't know what to say to them and think they'll make it worse most of the time. I know i certainly didn't want to tell, the same girl had bullied someone else before and when she told it got worse.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    You can be depressed at any age, its not something that comes with adulthood. Children don't tend to get depressed, but that doesn't mean they can't.

Turlough is meaning the difference between depression and dysphoria. People who are a bit dysphoric will say they are "depressed" when they aren't strictly so; the term "depressed" has come to mean feeling low. It's not strictly accurate, but its what it means colloquially.

The defintion of depression is prolonged feelings of sadness, emptiness, lethargy, and so on. The key is prolonged. Teen angst can often actually be classified as depression it is so severe. People tend to ignore the feelings of teenagers because of the whole "teen angst" thing. Just because it can be attributed to hormones does not make the feelings less real, and it is dealing with the feelings that is so important.

Youths can get depressed, it is often more likely in them. I find it disturbing how people denigrate what can be very severe feelings just because the person feeling them is 14.
    :( when i had these feelings it was for several months, i cant remember how many but quite alot. Has anyone else noticed when the person got upset, they'd get all worried they'd tell and go ''we're only having a bit of fun with you'' :mad: then of course carry on...
  • Options
    The thing is, they probably were only having a bit of fun. There's always one spiteful ringleader, the rest just tag along as a way of scoring cheap humour points.

I was bullied by those who were stronger than me. I insulted and attacked those who were lower down the pecking order.

The strong bully the weak. That's life. School is the worst time for it, because children are the most feral.

I expect that if several people from my school knew what they did to me, they would be ashamed of themselves. Some would be delighted, but you always get cunts.
  • Options
    hhm, months of laughing, comments, stealing/breaking my stuff, prank calls and kicking me in the back seemed a bit more than 'just a bit of fun' to me....i'm glad i went to a different senior school from them all. I haven't had any problems while i've been there, but i've learned to stand up for myself. So fuck the bullies, getting satisfaction by making others miserable is sick.
  • Options
    yeah, i get that all the time, the thing is with me it can be kinda random, i mean nothing has to set it off, and like it'll just be like a little voice in the back of my head telling me im worthless and i hate it! (kinda makes me sounds a insane doesn't it)
    i'm not alone then :D i don't really get them anymore, but i used to.
  • Options
    I really have to disagree with this, im 15, and i honestly feel crap most of the time, i cant reallly put it into words well, but its a horrible feeling, and i wouldn't wish it on anyone, what i really hate is people instantly dismissing me because im a teenager, i hate people who think im just doing it for the attention of something. I just hate people who're like, oh shut up and stop being a moody cow, i've tried it, it doesn't work, or maybe am i not trying hard enough?
    know how you feel, and it's not all being 'woe to me, i'm a moody teenager' but it does get dismissed alot, but then again there are teens who draw attention to themselves by saying they're 'depressed' etc which gives it a bad name :(
  • Options
    yeah i know ones who were all like ''oh i hate life and everyone in it, humans are such fuck ups, i'm gonna go home and take an overdose tonight, don't cry when i'm gone...'' etc, it pisses me off, when they sit and moan about life when there is actually nothing majorly wrong with it
  • Options
    it's for attention at the end of the day, it gives people who are genuine about it a bad name....but people who think they're the only depressed person in the world piss me off aswell ''omg like you've never been what i've been through so fuck off, you don't know anything about me, no one can ever understand''
  • Options
    exactly :thumb: you want to give them a good slap so they can wake up
  • Options
    When you lot were ging through the phase of being depressed, did you act as though nothing was wrong, or is that just me?
  • Options
    i never carry out my thoughts, me and other friends just laugh at all the funny things that should be done to them....god i really am post whoring here....over 80 posts in less than 24 hours!!! :nervous:
  • Options
    For me it triggered a long time ago. I had/have a friend whom i've known since I was 2 who is a classic bully in the sense of using people. She made me feel worthless and crap. I was just her geeky tag along friend. Then my brother got ill with ME and my parents focused all their efforts onto to helping him. I began slipping, losing motivation, feeling down and that combined with the teen angst led me to start self-harming. I have an addictive personality so right from the first time I kept doing it. Two days later, four days later, next day. To me I was just dealing with things. That was four years ago. I spent the best part of three years cutting myself to pieces, overdosing, drinking, but slowly through it all I began opening up to people. Friends and then teachers. Then November last year I went to see my doctor and he laughed at me. In hindsight (wonderful thing it is) I expect he was just trying to take the edge of the situation and make me more comfortable. He prescribed me ADs and sent me on my way. I was horrifed and torn to pieces. I took the meds and they had some bad effects. I pulled myself together around february time this year started seeing a different doctor, tried two more types of ADs (currently on prozac) and have been having counselling for about 3 months. And ya know what I'm getting there. I've just done my A Levels and not done as well as I hoped. But I'm dealing with it. I don't really know why I'm posting this but hey thats my experience with depression.
  • Options
    I haven't read a lot of this (it's half past midnight and I was work til 9 - I cba), but I have a few things to say.

In regards to pressure on teenagers etc - there is SO much pressure on us. In year 7 at my school they had CAT tests. I didn't take them til year 8, which meant I got 123 (the highest in the year was 127 - I was second), which meant that EVERYONE in my school expected me to do stupidly well. My baseline grades at the beginning of year 10 were 1 A*, 9 A's and a C. What I actually got was 4 A's, 4 B's and 3 C's. I know I'm not stupid, but I was never that smart to get those grades. But I could have got better than I did. The pressure put on me because of my high CAT mark just scared me. My mum put pressure on my, my teachers put pressure on me, and I had pressure put on me by my peers to look good (the popular group were BRUTAL at my school), and pressure on myself to stop being so weak and letting people walk all over me. I have pressure put on me still at college.

In regards to teenage depression - I'm aware of a lot of girls at my old school that used to put smileys on their arms and cut names and things into them for attention. I self-harm, but although I tell my friends (only my very best friends nowadays, because my friends starting calling me attention seeking), I do not want attention. I just want them to be aware. There was an incident at my school when I had just scratched up my stomach (it looked like I'd been in a very nasty fight with a thorn bush) and we had PE and I forgot to wear a top under my shirt. Someone asked me what it was and I told them my cat scratched me. I didn't want anyone that I wasn't really friends with knowing. There has only been two occasions when I have been so upset that I have been self-harming at school. Once was when I was very angry, and I was biting my lip and scratching my hands, and once when I was really upset and I scared a lot of people because I was crying and scratching at my hand til it looked like I had a rash. I had a shit time at school. I was mentally bullied by people that didn't realise they were doing it from the time I moved there (physically at one point, there was a boy who used to repeatedly kick me in the legs all lunchtime and I'd go home with bruises all over my bum and my legs and filthy trousers), because they wanted a reaction and I gave it to them. My friends used to walk all over me, use me to buy them cigarettes and carry their stuff when we went into town after school. They were bossy, they knew I would do what they wanted because I had no other proper friends. At the moment, I have a lot of friends, but because of things that happened in the recent past, I can't trust almost all of them. I have paranoias and insecurities that are embedded into my brain. I often feel like none of my friends actually like me, and they are just trying to make me feel better. When I get upset, nobody can convince me otherwise. These days, me feeling good is rare. On an average day I will feel shit for at least half the day. Tiny insignificant comments will upset me more than they should, and I dwell on everything. My best friend gets scared to say anything to me when I'm feeling crap, in case he makes it worse. I am aware that I'm not the most unhappy person in the world, I'm aware that I don't have a bad life, I'm aware that everything could be a lot worse, but that doesn't mean that I don't have a problem, it doesn't mean that when I feel shit, it isn't affecting me. My mum has said before now (she said it to the doctor that was helping me, and he started saying it too and I haven't seen him since) that I just need to deal with my problems like a "regular teenager". I know I have the same issues as all teenagers, but that doesn't mean I can deal with them better.

I'm going off on a tangent which would be better off in the D&SH thread, so I'm gonna stop. That's just my piece, is all. I'm going to bed now...very tired.
  • Options
    I haven't read a lot of this (it's half past midnight and I was work til 9 - I cba), but I have a few things to say.

In regards to pressure on teenagers etc - there is SO much pressure on us. In year 7 at my school they had CAT tests. I didn't take them til year 8, which meant I got 123 (the highest in the year was 127 - I was second), which meant that EVERYONE in my school expected me to do stupidly well. My baseline grades at the beginning of year 10 were 1 A*, 9 A's and a C. What I actually got was 4 A's, 4 B's and 3 C's. I know I'm not stupid, but I was never that smart to get those grades. But I could have got better than I did. The pressure put on me because of my high CAT mark just scared me. My mum put pressure on my, my teachers put pressure on me, and I had pressure put on me by my peers to look good (the popular group were BRUTAL at my school), and pressure on myself to stop being so weak and letting people walk all over me. I have pressure put on me still at college.

:confused:

Did you actually listen to them tests? They're never reliable
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I think the pressure and bulying at schools tends to affect teenagers as well. It was hte main reason I just lost control of my life and feel down a fair bit. I started self harming mainly just for having alot of rage and needing something to direct it at when I was feeling down. I mainly blamed myself for it.

Thankfully, I am reasonably better now. It is so much easier to just not give a fuck about anything, don't let shit get to you.
  • Options
    What I don't get about depression is how some people go through a lot more than other people who are depressed and still have a smile on their face at the end of the day, just makes me think there must be a genetic defect making some people more susseptable to depression than others.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    :confused:

Did you actually listen to them tests? They're never reliable
    No. But the school did. I could have got a lot better than I did, maybe close to what the baseline grades were, but the pressure scared me that badly.

Stupid school.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    What I don't get about depression is how some people go through a lot more than other people who are depressed and still have a smile on their face at the end of the day, just makes me think there must be a genetic defect making some people more susseptable to depression than others.
    As I think klintock said earlier on, anti-depressants are based on raising serotonin levels in the brain. It's the hormone that makes you feel good.

There is also evidence of it being hereditary. Looks like it is in my family, at least.
  • Options
    No. But the school did. I could have got a lot better than I did, maybe close to what the baseline grades were, but the pressure scared me that badly.

Stupid school.

:mad:

That makes me angry, my school actually told us it was only procedure and not to listen to them. See in future, and someone tells you what you should do or what you should be or what they expect from you, tell them to fuck away off and you're going to be what you expect yourself to be and nothing more or less.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    :mad:

That makes me angry, my school actually told us it was only procedure and not to listen to them. See in future, and someone tells you what you should do or what you should be or what they expect from you, tell them to fuck away off and you're going to be what you expect yourself to be and nothing more or less.
    At my school it was all "your CAT results show you could get x result in x test". They cared more about results than anything else, really.
  • Options
    At my school it was all "your CAT results show you could get x result in x test". They cared more about results than anything else, really.

Yea, it's another one of the reasons why I don't like too much the education system, but that's for another thread ;)
  • Options
    we never did CATs at my school, but my brother did at his school a few miles away :confused: