Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Discrimination in insurance

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No, I'm not saying women should be penalised for having kids, I'm saying men shouldn't be penalised for a quirk of statistics.

Stats can prove anything you want them to prove. Insurance companies can get away with charging more- regardless of risk- so they use stats to do so.

It's the same principle. Either you are in favour of the principle of discrimination due to "risk" of gender or you are not. Personally, I am not.

THis isn't going anywhere. Yu seem happy to pay a fortune for no reason, so I will quite happily let you continue.
  • Options
    Of course you having a penis is an obvious risk assessment. IIf you have a penis, you're more likely to crash, it's simple averages.

Don't talk shite. The idea behind statistics is to have a vague guess about what may or may not happen in the future based on past results. As no two individuals are the same, it's horseshit. All you can use statistics for is to say "sometimes this happens, sometimes it doesn't".
    If men have more accidents, then you as a man, of course it has an impact on the risk assessment of you.

This implies that the arbitary grouping "men" means anything for an individual. Obviously it doesn't Unless of course you are in favour of drawing up arbitary groupings and the discriminating against them merely because they are part of the arbitary group you just drew up.

How about all the groups of people you haven't created yet? Green eyed peeps, fat peeps, short peeps etc etc ?

It's useful for the insurer to asses their risks, but why charge people less or more based on those estimations? Once you prove the estimation of you to be correct, then the price should go north. Not before.
  • Options
    To be fair having a higher chance of car theft because you are in a car theft area makes sense and statistics support it.

What reason does a penis have on every mans ability to drive? Does it swing with the momentum of the car and pull an arm down turning into other cars or what? It might be on average men have bigger claims (not more!) but saying that the fact they have a penis and they are men is the reason seems a bit daft.
  • Options
    It's not a quirk of statistics though. It's been shown time and time again that men have more car accidents. I don't see how that's me 'talking shite', as you so eloquently put it Klintock.
    As no two individuals are the same, it's horseshit.

So, stats based on heart attack liklihood in Scotland, for example, are horseshit because they don't take into account every single person? Or the fact that if you smoke you're more liklely to get cancer, because no two individuals are the same? Don't be ridiculous.
    This implies that the arbitary grouping "men" means anything for an individual. Obviously it doesn't Unless of course you are in favour of drawing up arbitary groupings and the discriminating against them merely because they are part of the arbitary group you just drew up.

How is 'men' an arbitary grouping? It's a solid, well defined dividing line between the genders. And it's backed up with stats to prove it.
    It's useful for the insurer to asses their risks, but why charge people less or more based on those estimations? Once you prove the estimation of you to be correct, then the price should go north. Not before.
    Because the alternative of having to vet every single driver before they get covered is impractical, and would probably lead to increased costs.
    Stats can prove anything you want them to prove. Insurance companies can get away with charging more- regardless of risk- so they use stats to do so. It's the same principle. Either you are in favour of the principle of discrimination due to "risk" of gender or you are not. Personally, I am not.
    But with accidents, it's in black and white, it's not made up. And as for women, they might choose not to have kids. I honestly can't believe you're comparing the two... How would you feel if your wife was rejected for a job simply because she might have kids?
  • Options
    To be fair having a higher chance of car theft because you are in a car theft area makes sense and statistics support it.

What reason does a penis have on every mans ability to drive? Does it swing with the momentum of the car and pull an arm down turning into other cars or what? It might be on average men have bigger claims (not more!) but saying that the fact they have a penis and they are men is the reason seems a bit daft.

Using the crime rate of your area as part of the calcualtion to price up a persons premium makes perfect sense to me, though you would be discriminating against people who live in shit areas.

Is insurance on the whole just one big ball of discrimination?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    It's not a quirk of statistics though. It's been shown time and time again that men have more car accidents.

But that's not to say I'm going to have any more accidents?

In this current climate most terroists are Islamic, but that doesn't mean we should treat all Muslims as suicide bombers.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    So, stats based on heart attack liklihood in Scotland, for example, are horseshit because they don't take into account every single person? Or the fact that if you smoke you're more liklely to get cancer, because no two individuals are the same? Don't be ridiculous.

Statistics don't 'make' things more likely.

If I moved to Scotland would the likelyhood of me suffering a heart attack suddenly increase?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    How is 'men' an arbitary grouping? It's a solid, well defined dividing line between the genders.

Why should there be a dividing line between the genders though?

Oh, because it's a completely arbritary grouping.

I have more in common with my wife than I do with many men.
  • Options
    It's not a quirk of statistics though. It's been shown time and time again that men have more car accidents. I don't see how that's me 'talking shite', as you so eloquently put it Klintock.

Except there are no "men" there are only individuals. You are advocating penalising (snigger) one person because of the actions or potential accidents of some people who have something you consider to be in common with them.
    So, stats based on heart attack liklihood in Scotland, for example, are horseshit because they don't take into account every single person?

Exaclty right. Well done. You are one of these idiots who say that 8% of people who do "x" have "y" happen to them, so if you do "x" then you have an 8% chance of "y" occuring. Obvious bollocks.

From each individuals point of view, it's 50%, they either will or they won't. Or do you know someone with 8% of a heart attack or 5% of a cancer cell?
    Or the fact that if you smoke you're more liklely to get cancer, because no two individuals are the same? Don't be ridiculous.

More likely? Sure you can say that. You can't say it for definite though, and this is what you are arguing, discriminating against an individual because of perceived similarities. Out there somewhere is an individual who won't get cancer no matter how much they smoke, just because.
    How is 'men' an arbitary grouping? It's a solid, well defined dividing line between the genders. And it's backed up with stats to prove it.

Because there are no real similarities between individuals. Every single person is completely different. Even twins. You can choose to make up an arbitary grouping but it's not present out there in the good old real world.
    Because the alternative of having to vet every single driver before they get covered is impractical, and would probably lead to increased costs.

No, I already gave you an alternative - charge everyone the same for insurance until they have an accident. Then do what the fuck your precious pie charts tell you. It would actually be cheaper.
    But with accidents, it's in black and white, it's not made up.

Yeah it is. A 17 year old male who has just got into his first car is charged a fortune. he might crash it round the first bend, he might drive til he's 70 and hit nothing. You don't know, you've just made it up.
    I honestly can't believe you're comparing the two... How would you feel if your wife was rejected for a job simply because she might have kids?

I am sorry? They are both wrong. Anytime you choose to behave towarda a person a certain way because they resemble something else you are

1) being an idiot

2) being discriminatory
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Statistics don't 'make' things more likely.

If I moved to Scotland would the likelyhood of me suffering a heart attack suddenly increase?
    If you adopted an aspect of the culture of Scotland (in the whole battered black pudding and chips for breakfast lunch and dinner, 40 fags a day, and a 12 pack everynight), then yes, I would say so.
    Why should there be a dividing line between the genders though? Oh, because it's a completely arbritary grouping.
    How is it arbitrary? Arbitrary is something which is 'determined by chance, whim, or impulse, and not by necessity, reason, or principle'. The differences between male and female isn't exactly arbitrary...
    Statistics don't 'make' things more likely
    I know, but they predict the chances of something happening.
    But that's not to say I'm going to have any more accidents?
    I know that, but your chances of having an accident is increased on the evidence produced by your demographic profile.
    And Kermit, you ignored my last point.
    How would you feel if your wife was rejected for a job simply because she might have kids?
  • Options
    I know that, but your chances of having an accident is increased on the evidence produced by your demographic profile.

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    I know, but they predict the chances of something happening.

They don't predict anything. They show past trends.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Except there are no "men" there are only individuals. You are advocating penalising (snigger) one person because of the actions or potential accidents of some people who have something you consider to be in common with them.
    There are no men, only individuals? Don't be absurd... Consider to be in common with them (i.e. boy racers)? I have a penis? You (I assume) have a penis? That's something in common, is it not?
    You are one of these idiots who say that 8% of people who do "x" have "y" happen to them, so if you do "x" then you have an 8% chance of "y" occuring. Obvious bollocks.
    That's not idiotic. Looking at things on a microcosm is idiotic... You are losing sight of the whole picture, which is what's important.
    From each individuals point of view, it's 50%, they either will or they won't. Or do you know someone with 8% of a heart attack or 5% of a cancer cell?
    Of course that's true. But in a group of 100 people, you saying 50% of them will get heart disease and 50% of them won't? Doesn't work like that.

You can't say it for definite though, and this is what you are arguing, discriminating against an individual because of perceived similarities. Out there somewhere is an individual who won't get cancer no matter how much they smoke, just because.
    It's not perceived similarities, it's definite, solid, indisputable similarities. All men have a cock! So what if there is one person out there who might not get cancer even though the smoke all their lives? The chances are they will, statistically it's more likely that you will. I'll say it again. STATISTICALLY IT'S MORE LIKELY THEY WILL.

[qoute]Because there are no real similarities between individuals. Every single person is completely different. Even twins. You can choose to make up an arbitary grouping but it's not present out there in the good old real world. [/quote]

Are you a complete mentalist? No real similarities between individuals? You have hair, a full complement of arms and legs, a set of genitals, a heart, a kidney, thoughts, feelings, emotions, toenails. Just like almost 100% of the human race? Unless you're some sort of one-armed, one-legged, heartless, biomechanical wheelchair person, who has had their brain removed and cuts all your toenails off?
    No, I already gave you an alternative - charge everyone the same for insurance until they have an accident. Then do what the fuck your precious pie charts tell you. It would actually be cheaper.
    Ok, that's a good idea. But it still doesn't negate the fact that the present system works.
    A 17 year old male who has just got into his first car is charged a fortune. he might crash it round the first bend, he might drive til he's 70 and hit nothing. You don't know, you've just made it up.
    How is it made up? The statistical chances of him having an accident are higher. That's the whole fucking point.

I am sorry? They are both wrong. Anytime you choose to behave towarda a person a certain way because they resemble something else you are

1) being an idiot

2) being discriminatory

I am discriminating against you because quite clearly, you've lost the plot. Oh, and there's no need for you to get so abusive in your replys btw. It's people like you that makes the forums so irritating, rather than having an adult coversation.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    They don't predict anything. They show past trends.
    They show patterns.
  • Options
    I have a penis? You (I assume) have a penis? That's something in common, is it not?

So because you both have that in common it means you both have the same ability in driving a car?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    :lol::lol::lol:
    Look, you live in Glasgow, park on the street, are a male driver aged 17. You have no no-claims bonus, and you use your car everyday. Why are you focusing on the gender aspect of discrimination? You live in Glasgow you're more likely to get your car stolen. You haev no no-claims discount. Yo uhave no experience or have recently claimed. YOu use your car every day. Increases your risk of being in an accident. You park on the street. It's not secured in a garage. You're young. You don't have much experience. You're male. Males are more likely to be involved in a major traffic accident than females. Stop tryign to be a smart arse and answer me why you're concentrating on one small variable in this big equation? I really don't see what the problem with in charging more to men who are more likely to be involved in a crash. Unless you have fanny-envy or something....
  • Options
    But in a group of 100 people, you saying 50% of them will get heart disease and 50% of them won't? Doesn't work like that.

Groups of people don't get cancer inividuals do, so statistics about groups are irrelavent.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    So because you both have that in common it means you both have the same ability in driving a car?
    It doesn't matter about ability, it's about what demographic group you fit into. If I was male but had 5 years NCD, then that would be taken into consideration as well.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Groups of people don't get cancer inividuals do, so statistics about groups are irrelavent.
    Stop focusing on the specific. Groups of people who have cancer though typically have something in common, whether it was the fact they smoked, or had an unhealthy diet. I know it's individuals that get cancer, but there are certain profiles that lead to an increase in the chances of getting cancer. So, if that holds (which it does), then you can say that 'if you smoke, have an unhealthy diet, and don't exercise', there's more liklihood you'll get cancer.
  • Options
    If I was male but had 5 years NCD, then that would be taken into consideration as well.

Yet it would still be cheaper if I didn't have a cock.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Stop focusing on the specific.

But that's what insurance should be - specific for the indidual.

Why is car insurance discrimination any worse than the type employment discrimination discussed earlier?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Yet it would still be cheaper if I didn't have a cock.
    Yeah, because there's still statistically a higher chance of you having an accident. Because you have a cock. If your mother had a penis, she'd need to pay more [/joke, from Goldie Lookin' Chain song]
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    But that's what insurance should be - specific for the indidual.

Why is car insurance discrimination any worse than the type employment discrimination discussed earlier?
    It's be too difficult to be specific. Then everybody would have to be vetted on their ability to drive. It's not worse or better than the employment discrimination mentioned earlier, it's just different. Women don't have to have kids, they have a choice in the matter. Men don't have to have accidents, but they usually don't have a choice in the matter. The cause of this is in their 'genes' :lol:
  • Options
    There are no men, only individuals? Don't be absurd...

It's the case. Sorry to disturb you with facts.
    Consider to be in common with them (i.e. boy racers)? I have a penis? You (I assume) have a penis? That's something in common, is it not?

Not unless we have exactly the same penis, which I reckon we don't. you are missing my point totally. No two individuals have anything in common. Ever. You can make up useful lies about them which may or may not get you results, but they are still lies.
    That's not idiotic. Looking at things on a microcosm is idiotic... You are losing sight of the whole picture, which is what's important.

You have probably never seen the whole picture as I would mean it. The whole pictuire is that there isn't a picture in the first place.
    Of course that's true. But in a group of 100 people, you saying 50% of them will get heart disease and 50% of them won't? Doesn't work like that.

No I am not. I am saying that -

1) there are no groups

2) individuals have a 50% chance of something happening to them or not

Drop the idea that people can ever be grouped up except on the inside of your head. Doesn't happen out there in the real world.
    It's not perceived similarities, it's definite, solid, indisputable similarities. All men have a cock! So what if there is one person out there who might not get cancer even though the smoke all their lives? The chances are they will, statistically it's more likely that you will. I'll say it again. STATISTICALLY IT'S MORE LIKELY THEY WILL.

No, it's entirely arbitary similarity, chosen at random. You could pick others just as easily. Green eyes, braod shoulders etc. What about size of penis? perhaps all men with 5 inchers or less are safe drivers?

And i am saying that statistically the chance of you getting something wrong about an individual is 100% and then you are discriminating against them on a false basis.
    Are you a complete mentalist? No real similarities between individuals? You have hair, a full complement of arms and legs, a set of genitals, a heart, a kidney, thoughts, feelings, emotions, toenails. Just like almost 100% of the human race? Unless you're some sort of one-armed, one-legged, heartless, biomechanical wheelchair person, who has had their brain removed and cuts all your toenails off?

Every single one of those things you mentioned is completely, utterly different to any other individual that you have crudely lumped me together with. It's just fact mate. My toenails are different, my hair is different, my kidneys etc etc are all totally different and unique to me as yours are to you. Are you insane or can you not see the differences staring you in the face?
    Ok, that's a good idea. But it still doesn't negate the fact that the present system works.

Thank you. It also proves that the current system is discriminatory with no real need.
    How is it made up? The statistical chances of him having an accident are higher. That's the whole fucking point.

Only iof he genuinely is part of the group you decide to make up. Which he cannot be. The chances of him having an accident are 50/50. He either will or he won't. You are claiming to read his future based on other peoples pasts. Nuts.
    I am discriminating against you because quite clearly, you've lost the plot. Oh, and there's no need for you to get so abusive in your replys btw. It's people like you that makes the forums so irritating, rather than having an adult coversation.

At no point did I insult you. Please apologise for that.
  • Options
    Yeah, because there's still statistically a higher chance of you having an accident.

Whether I crash or not has absolutely nothing to do with statistics or a penis. Either I will or I won't.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Look, if you think that me having toenails that are different to yours is somehow not having something in common, if you think there are no groups, only individuals, if you think people can't be group according to some shared characteristic, then you have quite clearly a completely different view of the world which I would argue isn't cogent with the majority of people, and I'm going to have to bow before your clearly ludicrous and potentially disturbed view of modern living, in fact of life in general, because trying to discuss anything with a person who has such a disturbed view of society far surpasses my powers of reasoning...

Yes, future performance is based on past patterns, if you were a woman I'm sure you wouldn't be moaning about the state of the insurance. Women are generally safer drivers. Are you a closet mysoginist? Do you really want women not to take a job because they might have kids. You want that to be used as employability criteria in the future?
    Drop the idea that people can ever be grouped up except on the inside of your head. Doesn't happen out there in the real world.

It doesn't happen in the real world? So, year groups, faculties, sports teams, debating clubs, call centres, militray forces, police, fire brigade, nurses, doctors, etc etc, are only grouped up inside my head? These 'arbitrary distinctions' serve no purpose? Honestly mate, that's crazy :/
    No, it's entirely arbitary similarity, chosen at random

It's not chosen at random. It's based on the fact men have more accidents than women. End of. You think there's some big conspiracy out to get us men to pay more for bloody car insurance? :lol::lol:

Hoesntly though, I don't expect you to accept this. You have a devotion to your view that borders on religious hysteria, and you can never reason with a fanatic... And I never said you insulted me, I said your message was abusive. There's a difference.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Whether I crash or not has absolutely nothing to do with statistics or a penis. Either I will or I won't.
    What is wrong with you? Yes, either you will or you won't, I'm not disputing that fact. But whether you will or won't is dependant on many factors, one of which is your gender. It's biologically set into us that, men like taking risks, and risk taking can be bad, because one day, that risk taking might just lead you to an accident. Saying that your gender doesn't have any bearing is like saying what kind of car you drive has no bearing... Totally absurd.
  • Options
    Look, if you think that me having toenails that are different to yours is somehow not having something in common, if you think there are no groups, only individuals, if you think people can't be group according to some shared characteristic

Our total difference is what we have in common now? Okay. I think.

Yes, you can group people up if you like. It's an arbitary, made up distinction that the real world doesn't bear out though. All I am pointing out is what reality is before you go rushing off into the ether with your theories about groups.
    then you have quite clearly a completely different view of the world which I would argue isn't cogent with the majority of people,

So I have been told. Mines pretty accurate though.
    and I'm going to have to bow before your clearly ludicrous and potentially disturbed view of modern living

Yes, everybody does eventually, ask Al or Blagsta. While it's obviously disturbed, it always falls down when we get to details and it's much easier to dismiss me then argue (because you can't because I am correct) or change your mind.
    because trying to discuss anything with a person who has such a disturbed view of society far surpasses my powers of reasoning...

I don't have any view of society. I just see individuals, prisioners of their own heads mainly, tbh. I don't think there is any society. At all.
    Hoesntly though, I don't expect you to accept this. You have a devotion to your view that borders on religious hysteria, and you can never reason with a fanatic...

Well, I do like the truth, god help me. I no more expect you to change the habit of a lifetime and organise your perceptions based on difference than commonality as I do.
    And I never said you insulted me, I said your message was abusive. There's a difference.

Yes, of course there is. However in order to be abusive, there must be an abused. As I never abused you by your own admission, I never insulted you so.......apology please.
  • Options
    Mines pretty accurate though.
    It's not accurate, it's just different.
    Yes, everybody does eventually, ask Al or Blagsta. While it's obviously disturbed, it always falls down when we get to details and it's much easier to dismiss me then argue (because you can't because I am correct) or change your mind.
    Like I say, you can't argue with a fanatic, whether it be a religious fanatic or whatever. You clearly have a base disability in being able to distinguish between the group and the individual, that disturbs me. But bear in mind, just because what you say is eloquent and has the appearance of fine words, it doesn't make you right. I've said your argument is flawed, for a number of reasons, and the best you can come up with is some pendantic point about how my cock isn't exactly the same as yours. That's not intellectual. It's not smart. Its not even illuminating. Arguing at the points of insignificant details will always win out, because people realise that you (klintock) will never be able to extrapolate to the big picture, because for you, there is no 'big picture', and because you are blinded by your own arrogance, you'll never see it. And just because I don't wish to engage in what I consider to be a futile waste of my time and intellectual effort, doesn't mean I'm wrong, it means I can't be bothered wasting my time with someone who is so blown up with his own image of intellectual grandeur. You're not clever, you're a pedant.
    However in order to be abusive, there must be an abused. As I never abused you by your own admission, I never insulted you so.......apology please
    See what I mean? You used abusive language, at which I took offence, because there as no need for it. Clear? See what I mean? Pedant...
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Yes, everybody does eventually, ask Al or Blagsta
    Er... sorry to rain on your parade mate but I have not bowed to you in any way whatsoever. As far as I'm concerned the subject in question ("do countries exist" and assorted questions) died down and was abandoned. When you chose to post another reply some 2 days after the last one I chose to ignore it.

I'd also say that as far as I'm concerned you weren't faring terribly good in that particular thread and were going round in circles. The only thing left to answer was how long would you be prepared to go on. I could have easily carried on for weeks, even months or longer, but I didn't do so solely on the basis that:

a) it's a terrible pointless bore on the rest of the forum and the thread would surely have put to death by the mods sooner rather than later

b) I had figured out that since the kind of argument you were putting forward didn't have a leg to stand on, your sole aim in such situations is to carry on replying forever and ever until the other poster gives up out of boredom. That way you can have the last word and convince yourself that constitutes final proof that you were right and they were wrong. By the looks of it my guess was right on this respect.

c) I know I'm right, I know everyone else knows this already, I know there is nothing else to prove, and I know you would never admit to the truth