Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Discrimination in insurance

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would say so, but it would need to be pretty overwhelming stats.

Just found this, which may support why men are charged more for insurance

Between birth and age 45, there are 1,812 male deaths, of which 1,372 (76%) are due to motor vehicle accidents, suicide, and AIDS, leaving 440 deaths unrelated to behavior. Although the male excess of deaths from car accidents may, in part be attributable to greater distances driven and not behavior while driving, the male "relationship" with the automobile is almost certainly another aspect of gender roles. Only 308 (33%) of the 936 female deaths are explained by such behavior. Source: http://www.equityhealthj.com/content/4/1/11
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    It is. It's based on statistics gained from the ability of other drivers, not from my ability as an individual.
    But then what would be the point of statistics if they took into account the ability of every single driver?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Just found this, which may support why men are charged more for insurance

Between birth and age 45, there are 1,812 male deaths, of which 1,372 (76%) are due to motor vehicle accidents, suicide, and AIDS, leaving 440 deaths unrelated to behavior. Although the male excess of deaths from car accidents may, in part be attributable to greater distances driven and not behavior while driving, the male "relationship" with the automobile is almost certainly another aspect of gender roles. Only 308 (33%) of the 936 female deaths are explained by such behavior. Source: http://www.equityhealthj.com/content/4/1/11

Ok but like Kermit has pointed out he pays £400 quid more than his wife for his insurance yet has never had an accident. Is that right?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    It is. It's based on statistics gained from the ability of other drivers, not from my ability as an individual.

But for it not to be based on stats the insurance company would have to test every single persons driving.
  • Options
    That insurance companies need to generalise isn't disputed. I wouldn't expect to pay the same as the bloke who has 30 years impeccable drivinbg experience, that would be stupid.

BUt surely it should be generalised along experience not on the simple fact that I have a penis and my wife does not? We have equal driving records- completely clean, not even a speeding or parking ticket- and equal experience. Why does she therefore get quoted a price one third less than mine?

If black people were statistically more likely to crash, would it be acceptable to charge black people 1/3 more?
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Ok but like Kermit has pointed out he pays £400 quid more than his wife for his insurance yet has never had an accident. Is that right?
    Well yeah, because statistically he's more likely to have an accident than Mrs Kermit because he is a male. And like Bong points out, if the insurance companies were to test everybody's driving ability, it would just be impractical.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    But for it not to be based on stats the insurance company would have to test every single persons driving.

Or give them quotes in the first place which arn't based upon age and sex.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    That insurance companies need to generalise isn't disputed. I wouldn't expect to pay the same as the bloke who has 30 years impeccable drivinbg experience, that would be stupid.

BUt surely it should be generalised along experience not on the simple fact that I have a penis and my wife does not? We have equal driving records- completely clean, not even a speeding or parking ticket- and equal experience. Why does she therefore get quoted a price one third less than mine?

If black people were statistically more likely to crash, would it be acceptable to charge black people 1/3 more?
    I can see what you're saying, but part of it is down to experience (no claims bonus, number of year had licence etc), and part of it's down to gender as well. If males (young males especially) weren't found to be the cause of many major accidents, then as a whole demographic males wouldn't have to pay more. If black people were statistically more likely to have a crash, then yeah, of course it would be acceptable to charge them 1/3 more.
  • Options
    But that is a non-argument.

People who crash should pay for it. People who don't should not.

Why should I have to pay for the mistakes of some statistic? Why should I be discriminated against because of a statistic? Why is it OK for me to be discriminated against because of a statistic, but not women in the workplace?

What do I have in common with the boy racers except the fact that I have a penis? Why is making me pay not discriminatory?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    But that is a non-argument.

People who crash should pay for it. People who don't should not.

Why should I have to pay for the mistakes of some statistic? Why should I be discriminated against because of a statistic? Why is it OK for me to be discriminated against because of a statistic, but not women in the workplace?

What do I have in common with the boy racers except the fact that I have a penis? Why is making me pay not discriminatory?
    How is it an non-argument? The thing you have in common with boy-racers is that you have a penis. That's enough for the insurance companies. They don't know that you're a great driver, they don't want to take the risk of insuring you for less. And they don't know you from John. Statistics are not a mistake, they predict the likelihood of you having an accident based on a number of factors, including gender. If the stats say that males have a statistically larger chance of having an accident, ergo, as a male, you pay more. I reckon you gruding paying more in insurance is like saying that as a smoker, you grudge paying taxes that fund the treatment for lung cancer in smokers, if you never have lung cancer [/hypotetical situation].

And what do you mean about the 'but not women in the workplace'? That's why the thread got confusing.
  • Options
    Yes its unfair, yes its discrimination, but no, its not going to stop.

Insurance has and will always work based on risk to the insurance company, that is based on statistics.
  • Options
    Of course it won't stop.

But that doesn't make it moral.

And it certainly doesn't make it any more morally justifable than discrimination in the workplace.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Yes its unfair, yes its discrimination, but no, its not going to stop.

Insurance has and will always work based on risk to the insurance company, that is based on statistics.
    I don't think it's discrimination on the same level though as not employing a woman because she might have kids.
  • Options
    I don't think it's discrimination on the same level though as not employing a woman because she might have kids.

Of course it's the same level. Princples don't come with degrees of acceptability.

Either discrimination is okay, or it isn't.

Statistically women spend more time away from work giving birth to, and raising, children. Why is it illegal to take that into consideration?
  • Options
    Statistically women spend more time away from work giving birth to, and raising, children. Why is it illegal to take that into consideration?

Because women vote more than men, and most men generally accept they have to pay more for insurance.
  • Options
    Of course it's the same level. Princples don't come with degrees of acceptability.

Either discrimination is okay, or it isn't.

I can see your logic, but it's totally flawed imo. Discrimination can have differing degrees, but whether it is okay or not is besides the point. Men on insurance and women in the workplace is not on the same level at all. Charging men more on insurance is not discrimination, it's based on statistical probablility. The chances of them having an accident is higher, so they have to pay for it. Next you'll be moaning that you need to pay more in insurance because you're being discriminated against for living in an inner-city area, which although you might live in a nice area, that postcode is known as having high rates of car theft. So what if women are more likely to spend time away from work due to childbirth etc, does that really matter? They lose out on proper pay, keeping up with their career, knowing waht's going on in their area of employment etc etc. Taking into consideration if a potential employee might have children is ridiculous (if it's taken into consideration on whether they get the job).
  • Options
    But women are more at risk for taking lots of time away from the workplace, costing the employers thousands of pounds. Why should the employer have to take these losses on the chin when insurance companies don't have to?

It is exactly the same principle. Principles don't come in varying levels- either you agree with the principle or you don't.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    But women are more at risk for taking lots of time away from the workplace, costing the employers thousands of pounds. Why should the employer have to take these losses on the chin when insurance companies don't have to?

It is exactly the same principle. Principles don't come in varying levels- either you agree with the principle or you don't.
    Ok, it's discrimination if you define it as 'The ability or power to see or make fine distinctions; discernment', but that's as far as it goes. You cannot compare having a child and driving a car. As for the workplace losing money. WOmen are replaced for the duration of their maternity leave. Women take a period of unpaid absence. Women don't have to have kids. But to drive you have to have insurance. Why are you not up in arms about being discriminated about where you live for your insurance, or what kind of car you drive, or whether it's parked on the road or in a garage? Or be annoyed when men take paternal leave? You seem to be stuck in some primal theme here...
    Why should the employer have to take these losses on the chin when insurance companies don't have to?
    They do, they pay out for the accidents caused by males. And because the majority of accidents are caused by males, it's males who pay more, and the males who have accident pay even more than that.
  • Options
    You cannot compare having a child and driving a car.

This discussion is giving me deja vu I think!
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Where you live is an obvious risk assessment. If you live in a high crime area you will be mor elikely to crash, its simple averages.

I am not more likely to crash simply because I have a penis, there are no statistics that say I am. Some may possibly say that men have more accidents, but that has zero impact on the risk assessment of me.

I aren't bothered that women have maternal rights, that's the whole point. I am bothered that people think that this is unacceptable, yet are so willing to justify the discrimination employed by insurance companies, because they are both the same principle, and both just as morally abhorrent.
  • Options
    Discrimination can have differing degrees

In terms of impact there are different degrees, but the principle is the same.
    Charging men more on insurance is not discrimination, it's based on statistical probablility. The chances of them having an accident is higher, so they have to pay for it.

based on statistical probability any woman under the age of 35 is several times more likely to take time off to give birth (given the zero probability that a man will) and is more likely to take time off for childrens sickness/school leave etc.

Surely then that is relevant to her employment.

I'm not talking about degrees of impact, I'm talking about the principle of using statistics to discriminate.
    So what if women are more likely to spend time away from work due to childbirth etc, does that really matter? They lose out on proper pay, keeping up with their career, knowing waht's going on in their area of employment etc etc. Taking into consideration if a potential employee might have children is ridiculous (if it's taken into consideration on whether they get the job).

You mean apart from the cost of recruitment, training, cover for leave etc? The fact that the higher your turnover of staff, the greater the costs and the lower the effectiveness?
  • Options
    OK, we've agreed its unfair, we've agreed it will continue regardless and we've agreed that the only way insurance can possibly work is by using statistics.

So how did this topic get to 6 pages?!
  • Options
    I'm getting a little confused here. :)

Is the idea of necessary discrimination being thrown out?

If my employer (using the case i cited earlier) needs to employ another person but really can't afford to have that person take any more time off than the statutory holiday and few days illness, it's obvious that it is discriminating against late / twenties early thirties woman, but is this wrong?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    So how did this topic get to 6 pages?!

The same way all P&D threads do. Tangents and obstinence.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    OK, we've agreed its unfair, we've agreed it will continue regardless and we've agreed that the only way insurance can possibly work is by using statistics.

Can I just add that my concern was never whether it was okay for insurers to use statistics. I have no problem with that at all. Risk analysis is important.

My question was more about why the same concept cannot be used elsewhere, if it is considered okay for insurance.
  • Options
    My question was more about why the same concept cannot be used elsewhere, if it is considered okay for insurance.

Its just were the focus is, women being kicked out of jobs while pregnant get sympathy, men moaning on about high insurance do not.

I guess its a sign that men are second class citizens.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I guess its a sign that men are second class citizens.

Truest thing said on this thread so far.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Where you live is an obvious risk assessment. If you live in a high crime area you will be mor elikely to crash, its simple averages.

I am not more likely to crash simply because I have a penis, there are no statistics that say I am. Some may possibly say that men have more accidents, but that has zero impact on the risk assessment of me.
    Of course you having a penis is an obvious risk assessment. IIf you have a penis, you're more likely to crash, it's simple averages. If men have more accidents, then you as a man, of course it has an impact on the risk assessment of you.
    based on statistical probability any woman under the age of 35 is several times more likely to take time off to give birth (given the zero probability that a man will) and is more likely to take time off for childrens sickness/school leave etc.
    But you're not figuring in the chances that a man will do the same (not have a baby, take time off) Ditto to
    You mean apart from the cost of recruitment, training, cover for leave etc? The fact that the higher your turnover of staff, the greater the costs and the lower the effectiveness?
    OK, we've agreed its unfair,
    I think it's fair :)

Skive, yup, deja vu for me too mate... ;)
  • Options
    Of course you having a penis is an obvious risk assessment.

No it's not.

And why is that an acceptable risk assessment but in employment it is not?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    No it's not.

And why is that an acceptable risk assessment but in employment it is not?
    Are you being deliberately obtuse? You said
    Where you live is an obvious risk assessment. If you live in a high crime area you will be more likely to crash, it's simple averages.
    Your gender is an obvious risk assessment. It's simple averages that the majority of accidents are caused by young male drivers, therefore if you have a penis, and are therefore a male, you have a statistically more chance of having an accident. It's fairly obvious I would've thought? I don't think the same applies to the workplace. Statistically women are more likely to have women. Despite the concessions I pointed out earlier, basically your suggesting that women are penalised for having kids? Men are penalised because they generally cause accidents. Women should not be penalised for having kids.