Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Discrimination in insurance

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What about natural talent? Obviously a little hard to measure, but just as an additional thought, I'm naturally better at driving than many people my age, who have had more experience than me.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    And?

One of my friends (female) has had about four prangs in her car now, whereas I haven't had any. And I've been driving longer.

Guess who gets the cheaper insurance?

Same with old people. The old drivers are the most dangerous on the road- yes, 28mph on a trunk road is dangerous- but they get cheaper insurance. Why? They're less "risk"- the bloke who runs into them doing 28mph on a trunk road is at fault.

Everyone should pay the same, based on experience and crashes.

And I tell you that if insurance firms could not discriminate then they will make losses and go out of business or everyone will pay more.

Which do you prefer? That everypone pay the same for some petty sense of 'justice'?

And of course I am sure you are aware that 'personal experience' is completely irrelevant to the argument, as it is to most......
  • Options
    So it's a necessity for the race, but not for each female - which is the point I am getting at.

So, the race needs to reproduce. Thta still doesn't explain why an employers whouldn't take it consideration the fact that a wome is more likely to take time off- as part of that process - than a man is.

It still doesn't justify why the employer should make provision for crech etc and allow "as much time off" as you suggested previously...

So, rather than offering the usual one line response, is there any possibility that you could actually support your postion for once?

I have supported my position - it doesn't need more than a one liner. Having children is a right, is neccesary for society, it is necessary for society that parents look after children, more neccessary than the right of a company to make a profit. I guess it comes down to what you prioritise - people or profit.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I have supported my position - it doesn't need more than a one liner. Having children is a right, is neccesary for society, it is necessary for society that parents look after children, more neccessary than the right of a company to make a profit. I guess it comes down to what you prioritise - people or profit.

For some people, having a car is a personal necessity (work, relationships, lifestyle etc - which all have knock-on effects to all aspects of life). If you accept discrimination against social/gender groups on that, then it would stand to reason you would accept discrimination on other grounds as well (race etc).

If a gender or social group is discriminated against, it stands to reason that all other social groups can be discriminated against equally. But this isn't so -it's an illogical double standard.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    For some people, having a car is a personal necessity (work, relationships, lifestyle etc - which all have knock-on effects to all aspects of life).

Having a car is comparable to having a child? Errr...no.
    Spliffie wrote:
    If you accept discrimination against social/gender groups on that, then it would stand to reason you would accept discrimination on other grounds as well (race etc).

Who is accepting discrimination? :confused:
    Spliffie wrote:
    If a gender or social group is discriminated against, it stands to reason that all other social groups can be discriminated against equally. But this isn't so -it's an illogical double standard.

Look, this is a non-argument. You might as well argue that insurance companies discriminate on age (younger drivers have higher premiums) or postcode or size of car or whether people have alarms etc.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Having a car is comparable to having a child? Errr...no.

No. But it can still be a critical necessity as I said for some people.

Who is accepting discrimination? :confused:

Well, you're opposing the right of an employer to take a women's age and status into consideration yet don't have a problem with insurance companies milking more money from young males by means of gender discrimination. You can say one is more important than the other, but it's hard to deny the evident contradiction. Permitting statistical discrimination wholesale or prohibiting it wholesale would be a far more sensible and even approach.

Look, this is a non-argument. You might as well argue that insurance companies discriminate on age (younger drivers have higher premiums) or postcode or size of car or whether people have alarms etc.

You could do, but I don't really care either way. All i'm saying is there's a double standard with slightly dubious foundations.
  • Options
    No, not really, for the reasons already mentioned.
  • Options
    So the argument is that because childbirth is a "necessity" then sometimes discrimination is okay?

What about age discrimination, sexuality? Neither of those relate to human necessity... is it okay to discriminate on those grounds?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    And I tell you that if insurance firms could not discriminate then they will make losses and go out of business or everyone will pay more.

I'm 22 and male.

I couldn't pay much more anyway.

Why should I care?
    That everypone pay the same for some petty sense of 'justice'?

Got it in one.
  • Options
    So the argument is that because childbirth is a "necessity" then sometimes discrimination is okay?

What about age discrimination, sexuality? Neither of those relate to human necessity... is it okay to discriminate on those grounds?

Oh Christ. :rolleyes: Its not discrimination OK?
  • Options
    on the driving point.. surely it would be discrimination against women to make them pay the same as men when it is men who have the most accidents.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Got it in one.

Well how big of you to admit that you are a petty person, well done to you ........... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Well how big of you to admit that you are a petty person, well done to you

It's not pettiness though, is it?

Why should I have to pay £400 more than my wife for my car insurance simply because she is a woman? We're equally good drivers, both with clean licenses and no crashes, why should I pay more?

If questioning why I should pay more makes me petty, then an awful lot of people are petty.
  • Options
    on the driving point.. surely it would be discrimination against women to make them pay the same as men when it is men who have the most accidents.

Think its already been covered that this statement isn't correct.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Oh Christ. :rolleyes: Its not discrimination OK?

How so? Insurance costs based on your age, gender, employment - but not on the individual asking for cover. How is that not discrimination?
  • Options
    How so? Insurance costs based on your age, gender, employment - but not on the individual asking for cover. How is that not discrimination?

This is a corker worthy of it's own thread i think!

My two cents:

I don't think there's any doubt that insurance companies discriminate. I'm certainly penalised as a 23 year old male driver (with no claims to my name) because of the track record of my demographic. Whether the discrimination involved is comparable to that received by women in the work place is a toughie!

I think my place of work poses a good, but perhaps atypical, scenario for analysis. I work for a company that it made up of 6 people (including myself). It lives very much hand to mouth and the work load increases quite significantly for everyone else when a member of staff takes holiday or time off through illness. Would it be unreasonable for the owners of my company to seriously consider not hiring a woman in her late twenties / early thirties woman because they simply couldn't afford to pay her maternity leave and have her work load distributed between the remaining staff members (or hire another member of staff to cover in her absence)?
  • Options
    And like magic - one new thread
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    And like magic - one new thread

:D - Cheers Jim
  • Options
    WTF

Thought I was going mad...
    Whether the discrimination involved is comparable to that received by women in the work place is a toughie!

It isn't, not directly. The principle is the same, which was my point.
    Would it be unreasonable for the owners of my company to seriously consider not hiring a woman in her late twenties / early thirties woman because they simply couldn't afford to pay her maternity leave and have her work load distributed between the remaining staff members (or hire another member of staff to cover in her absence)?

Exactly. Why should the business suffer for what is effectively a lifestyle choice? And as they would, if that choice is taken up, why shouldn't they be allowed to take it into consideration?
  • Options
    Exactly. Why should the business suffer for what is effectively a lifestyle choice? And as they would, if that choice is taken up, why shouldn't they be allowed to take it into consideration?

As a side point, isn't illegeal for an employer to ask in an interview if the woman has any plans for children? Now normally my first reaction would be "What does that matter? The chances are she will.", but knowing my employers situation it would seem like a perfectly reasonable question to ask as long as they explained their reasons behind it.
  • Options
    As a side point, isn't illegeal for an employer to ask in an interview if the woman has any plans for children?

Not so much illegal in a criminal sense, but certainly in a civil sense.

It's why I ask the question in the first place.
  • Options
    As a side point, isn't illegeal for an employer to ask in an interview if the woman has any plans for children?

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that its only illegal if you ask it to women and then factor in that she'll be off work as a reason for not giving her the job as that's sexual discrimination. Its OK if you also ask men the same question and then don't use the answers you got when deciding who to give the job to. Which off course means it makes no sense to ask the question anyway...

That said this information is based on a semi-drunken pub conversation and I can't vouch for its accuracy.
  • Options
    personally i'm against the idea of companies even being allowed to profit from car insurance, when this mode of travel is a necessity in modern life.......should be regulated by the government on a not for profit basis, that way i might actually be able to afford getting on the road, as it is right now i've got absolutlely no chance........when insurance is costing more than the car this is surely a ludicrous scenario........
  • Options
    "Governments also sometimes require that people buy insurance. For example, many states require drivers to buy automobile insurance. The federal government requires that all workers "buy" disability insurance through social security as well as unemployment insurance.

The problem of adverse selection explains some of these government requirements. With adverse selection, people with high risk (unobserved by the insurance firms) tend to buy insurance; but this tends to drive up insurance rates so that people with lower risks do not buy. In extreme cases of adverse selection, no insurance will be provided. Requiring that everyone buy eliminates the adverse selection problem. "

(John Taylor, Stanford University)
  • Options
    I don't know why I'm down as the thread starter on this thread, as far as I'm concerned its a non-argument.
  • Options
    sorry you only see a little bit of each message when splitting them, so it's hard to tell when the insurance discussion started
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I don't know why I'm down as the thread starter on this thread, as far as I'm concerned its a non-argument.

Of course it is.

You have nothing to back up this "non-argument" position, of course. Other than the "human necessity" approach, which doesn't actually mean jack.
  • Options
    I've backed it up as much as a I need to. Its a non-argument for reasons stated. End of.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit

Blaggy?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    and the fact car insurance isnt much cheaper than paying for incidents yourself, considering i know people so desperate not to ruibn their insurance status they pay for repairs themselves cause its cheaper than the rise in insurance costs fi they report it - how is that cheap? id rather people were forced to pay into their own fund of somesort that will provide moeny if they need it after an accident and if they havent got enough lend it to them