Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Am I Too Young?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You havent said how long it'll be till your sixteen
  • Options
    RudeBwoy wrote:
    Yi live in a very wrong part of essex where older men walk the streets and find some young 14/15/16 year old girl pissed out of their head just so he can shag her in an alley and be done with it. A lot of sick stuff happens round here and its worrying.

Yes, I'm sure they do :rolleyes:

One day people will realise that most of what is in the newspaper is not true.
  • Options
    Depending which bit of Essex he's from, it wouldn't surprise me. You get a lot of perverts in Braintree, and it's supposed to be decent here ;(.
  • Options
    I'll agree with the Essex bit... not all of it obviously, it's a reasonably nice place, but when I visited my mate, she was very careful to point out to me certain things and people I should be careful of!
  • Options
    well I live in Essex and I think stereotyping Essex as something it isnt is not particularly useful. Nor has it got anything to do with this girl.
  • Options
    RudeBwoy wrote:
    Yeh good point you do seem like a very mature and intelligent girl and im not knocking you what-so-ever. You seem sensible enough so go for it i wish you a happy relationship.

I was just stating my opinion, i live in a very wrong part of essex where older men walk the streets and find some young 14/15/16 year old girl pissed out of their head just so he can shag her in an alley and be done with it. A lot of sick stuff happens round here and its worrying.

But hey you seem intelliegent enough, just try not to embaress your guy with all this algebra stuff ;) can be embaressing lol
    That can happen anywhere.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Yes, I'm sure they do :rolleyes:

One day people will realise that most of what is in the newspaper is not true.

Newspaper? Iv lived here all my life i think I know what my area is like without reading the paper.

Im not stereotyping essex at all its where I live.
  • Options
    RudeBwoy wrote:
    Newspaper? Iv lived here all my life i think I know what my area is like without reading the paper.

Im not stereotyping essex at all its where I live.
    stereotype your own town then, not the whole county.
    I live in Essex too, yet I dont recognise your description of it.
  • Options
    From the main site, some things to think about before deciding to have sex (none of which have anything to do with the sexual habits of Essex)

http://www.thesite.org/sexandrelationships/sexuality/awareness/amireadyforsex
  • Options
    If I may ask! What realy is the rush? And why would a 19 yr old guy want to move in with you? stop and think! You are FIFTEEN and thats too young you think you are matured and sensible but your not!!
    Heres a story I read in the paper, Its about a 14 year old who thought she knew it all and against her mums wish was sleeping with her BF! neighbours said they where like husband and wife cos she spent the night with him most times.
    one morning though her lifeless body was found, she had been raped to death, her boy friend brought in two of his friends and I guess things went rough!
    Why the rush you have got your whole life ahead of you, theres college and work!!! wait till your matured.
    And this goes for all the young gurls who think they have their views and can do what ever they like.
  • Options
    If you want to advise someone that they should think before making any serious decisions then that's fine. To tell a user they are going to be raped to death by their boyfriend is both unhelpful and staggeringly unpleasant. Nothing that's been said in this thread makes any sense as a comparison to the story you've dragged into your message.

I'm actually pretty troubled that you're implying that all sexually active teenagers have rape and murder awaiting them, and I'd certainly advise you to consider your posts more carefully in the future.

I'd also like a link to the story you mention, if it exsists.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    mandin wrote:
    Heres a story I read in the paper, Its about a 14 year old who thought she knew it all and against her mums wish was sleeping with her BF! neighbours said they where like husband and wife cos she spent the night with him most times.
    one morning though her lifeless body was found, she had been raped to death, her boy friend brought in two of his friends and I guess things went rough!
    Why the rush you have got your whole life ahead of you, theres college and work!!! wait till your matured.

How does her age come into that anyway?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I've read a few of these threads over the past few weeks, finally got around to registering today, one thing I've noticed is that 90% of the posters here have an attitude that an age gap is very wrong and that their must be something wrong with a guy or girl wanting to be with a younger partner.

I find this a weird attitude to have, how can you judge someone straightaway without listening to what they say, I would have expected people to have more open minds on a forum like this.

This girl seems mature for her age, she has had a bad experience earlier on in her life, she has found she trusts this guy, from what I've read and that all I can go on, plus she has kept withing the laws of her state.

My advice to her is your not too young, he respects you and just because he's a few years older doesn't make him a bad man.
  • Options
    i wouldnt take any notice of mandin by the way.... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    i wouldnt take any notice of mandin by the way.... :rolleyes:

I don't think its just Mandin, I just wish people would be more open minded, just because 2 people wern't born within a couple of years of each other, how come that means they can't be really good partners.

Although a few 15 year old girls do get carried away with ideas of romance, and do get used by 19 year olds, it doesn't mean that always happens, there are a lot of decent guys out there, and just because their with younger girls, it doesn't mean there perverts or that they can't get a girl their own age, it means they have fallen for a girl.

There are a lot more important things in a relationship than age, people born along time apart can still have lots in common, can share a sence of humour, share a common interest, they might just love being together, and if their are some things they don't have in common, they can have fun in finding out about their partner.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    If you want to advise someone that they should think before making any serious decisions then that's fine. To tell a user they are going to be raped to death by their boyfriend is both unhelpful and staggeringly unpleasant. Nothing that's been said in this thread makes any sense as a comparison to the story you've dragged into your message.

I'm actually pretty troubled that you're implying that all sexually active teenagers have rape and murder awaiting them, and I'd certainly advise you to consider your posts more carefully in the future.

I'd also like a link to the story you mention, if it exsists.

i just told a story I read in the paper i didnt say anyone was going to be raped to death! or cant any one read again! the fact thats she is 15 and having sex with a 19 is bad enough, you say its okay for the BF to move in with her. why dont u wait till u have your own kid so u can give such wonderful adice, you could even hook her up with a 50 yr old to keep her shagged up!!! I guess its kool right!!!!!! Right!!!!!
  • Options
    *feels a banning coming on*
  • Options
    mandin wrote:
    i just told a story I read in the paper i didnt say anyone was going to be raped to death! or cant any one read again! the fact thats she is 15 and having sex with a 19 is bad enough, you say its okay for the BF to move in with her. why dont u wait till u have your own kid so u can give such wonderful adice, you could even hook her up with a 50 yr old to keep her shagged up!!! I guess its kool right!!!!!! Right!!!!!

I've got 2 girls and a boy, there toddlers right now, but I know I "might" face a situation like where one of the girls wants to move in with a boyfriend at 15, it's something that happens, now if one of my daughters does came to me and says she loves a guy and wants to move in with him, I'd first make sure we get to know the guy, and if we like him and feel he's a nice guy, then I'd hope my wife and I would be understanding and talk sensibly about the situation, if my daughter convinces me that she and this guy are right for each other then they would have my blessing, ( I say with gritted teeth, because I don't want any guy anywhere near my girls).

Now the girl who originally posted this thread, said that her mother approaved of this guy and of them moving in together, her and her mother seem to have a good relationship and can talk things through, the girl seems pretty level headed, so I don't see an issue here. Good luck to her.
  • Options
    Boozy wrote:
    I don't think its just Mandin, I just wish people would be more open minded, just because 2 people wern't born within a couple of years of each other, how come that means they can't be really good partners.

No point in trying to reason with people like that, because they're not reasonable people.
  • Options
    Teenagers tend to be the ones who are so fussy about even the slightest age gap, I think it is more because they are worried of what other people would think. TYhey won't go out with someone two years younger because their friends would take the piss. It's quite pathetic really.

Some age gaps are not morally desirable, particularly if one person is under the age of consent in the UK, buit most are. Completely mis-matched people don't tend to get together very often, and they tend to be the vulnerable ones.
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    No point in trying to reason with people like that, because they're not reasonable people.

Not sure about what you put there, everyone has the right to their opinions, and no parent wants there daughter hurt, I don't want my daughters to go near a guy till their wedding days, but I live in the real world, and I know that not everything will go to plan, but the important thing is that the girl who started this thread can talk about things with her parents, thats what kids need parents that can listen and give constructive advice.

Thats the lecture over.
  • Options
    Boozy wrote:
    everyone has the right to their opinions

NO they don't.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Teenagers tend to be the ones who are so fussy about even the slightest age gap, I think it is more because they are worried of what other people would think. TYhey won't go out with someone two years younger because their friends would take the piss. It's quite pathetic really.

Some age gaps are not morally desirable, particularly if one person is under the age of consent in the UK, buit most are. Completely mis-matched people don't tend to get together very often, and they tend to be the vulnerable ones.

I have an issue about age of consent laws, while I want everything done to protect children from abuse, I don't see what good it does to criminalise people who are not out to hurt anyone.

If I met a girl tonight, (my wife would kill me if I did), and she turned out to be 15, although she acted alot older, and we had sex I'd have committed a crime, I could face a prison sentence and be put on the sex offenders register.

Now if i had met her a week later when she turned 16, I'd be fine, (well apart from having my dick surgically removed by my wife that is).

There are a great many 15 year old girls who are far more emotionally responsible and mature than a lot of 17/18 year old girls, I'm not sure how a prosecution for under age sex would fair if it was challenged under the human rights act.

I don't think we protect children very well by using the law this way, we drive under age sex underground, we protect children by as parents and guardians by showing them we are there for them, showing them they can talk to us and by living by the principals we believe in.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    NO they don't.

Huh? Did I miss some sarcasm or is that an honest belief that we're not entitled to our thoughts?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Teenagers tend to be the ones who are so fussy about even the slightest age gap, I think it is more because they are worried of what other people would think. They won't go out with someone two years younger because their friends would take the piss. It's quite pathetic really.

I agree there is a lot of peer pressure, I was on a tube a couple of days ago, and a group of college girls were talking about sex, they were talking about one of there friends who was going out with a 26 year old, in a very dissaproving way.

I think this is a fairly new idea, because when I was that age, an older girl/boyfriend gave you a lot of status.
  • Options
    Boozy wrote:
    I have an issue about age of consent laws, while I want everything done to protect children from abuse, I don't see what good it does to criminalise people who are not out to hurt anyone.

If I met a girl tonight, (my wife would kill me if I did), and she turned out to be 15, although she acted alot older, and we had sex I'd have committed a crime, I could face a prison sentence and be put on the sex offenders register.

Now if i had met her a week later when she turned 16, I'd be fine, (well apart from having my dick surgically removed by my wife that is).

There are a great many 15 year old girls who are far more emotionally responsible and mature than a lot of 17/18 year old girls, I'm not sure how a prosecution for under age sex would fair if it was challenged under the human rights act.

I don't think we protect children very well by using the law this way, we drive under age sex underground, we protect children by as parents and guardians by showing them we are there for them, showing them they can talk to us and by living by the principals we believe in.

:yes: In Holland there are no age of consent laws, and people there are more open about sex and the consequences of not being safe etc etc, as a result many teenagers wait until they are older before having sex and there is a lower rate of teenage pregnancies and STIs as they are more informed, but i guess it's just not the british way to be open about sex.
  • Options
    The only problem with our Britishness and sex attitudes is that now we are so deeply rooted in this mindset of sex is bad until 16 it'll open the floodgates- much like how it is anticipated that this whole "round the clock" style licensing laws will mean that we will adopt a "continental" drinking patter. Hah, no. In the same way that whilst people don't feel tha same way in Holland as they do here, it'll just be a free reign to start...er..."getting friendly" at any age.
  • Options
    *subzero* wrote:
    :yes: In Holland there are no age of consent laws, and people there are more open about sex and the consequences of not being safe etc etc, as a result many teenagers wait until they are older before having sex and there is a lower rate of teenage pregnancies and STIs as they are more informed, but i guess it's just not the british way to be open about sex.

I've seen a couple of documentaries about the Dutch system and it does produce very good results, but surely they must have something equivilant to statutory rape for cases where very young girls are having sex ?
  • Options
    Jem wrote:
    The only problem with our Britishness and sex attitudes is that now we are so deeply rooted in this mindset of sex is bad until 16 it'll open the floodgates- much like how it is anticipated that this whole "round the clock" style licensing laws will mean that we will adopt a "continental" drinking patter. Hah, no. In the same way that whilst people don't feel tha same way in Holland as they do here, it'll just be a free reign to start...er..."getting friendly" at any age.

Jem I feel the media has a lot to answer for, if sex, drink, tobacco and drugs wern't glamorised by the media, they would soon lose there attraction.
  • Options
    That is very true, but it's a double edged sword- the same rights that protect our abilities to talk about whatever we want and discuss things also allow this portrayal- and it's always been portrayed as glamourous: even back in the day when these issues weren't so much of an epidemic as it is today, they were still glamourised and people dealt with them. I'm sure in Holland they still see films and such and obviously people still believe in the glamour of sex and drugs, they've just learnt to exercise self control. This is a trait, I feel, that is not built into the British psyche.