Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Homosexuality, right or wrong?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have no problem with it,but the people who are religious on this site will most likley will since they believes every word the Bible says.but actually,there are plenty of evidence of homosexual happenings in the Bible!so clearly it cant be wrong.
My view is that, even though sex is meant for reproduction and obviously gay couples prevent this,there is no problem.They are doing no harm, lets face it straight couples use protection so cant really argue sex is for reproduction.

Anyway what are your views on homosexuality?

Comments

• Options
    let them get on with it i say
  • Options
    err, what examples of homosexuality in the bible? And as I said in the other thread, if you want to find a post of me saying anything along the lines of "all gays should be beaten to death" be my guest.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    let them get on with it i say
    indeed!
  • Options
    I think it's worth avoiding targetting comments at particular users - it doesn't add anything to a debate and just makes it personal. So the start of the thread has been edited.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    err, what examples of homosexuality in the bible? And as I said in the other thread, if you want to find a post of me saying anything along the lines of "all gays should be beaten to death" be my guest.

im sorry? oh there are in the Bible,certain stories touch upon that certain people may have been homosexual.but u wouldnt know!
  • Options
    :lol: you make me laugh mate, enjoy your discussion.
  • Options
    If you want to say that then you're going to have to quote it or provide links to where such passages are discussed.
  • Options
    but what is your view? maybe u should do an alevel an r.s then u would see!
    you say there are no homosexual happenings in the Bible,so therefore does that mean its wrong? Nah it doesnt,they should be free to do what they want to do.
  • Options
    billybob87 wrote:
    im sorry? oh there are in the Bible,certain stories touch upon that certain people may have been homosexual.but u wouldnt know!
    Which stories? Got any proof of that?

Uhm I think that Fiend would know the Bible, she's not stupid. Why would she think it's wrong if there are no examples?

Please link to a source about the Bible because like... I think you have the wrong end of the stick.
  • Options
    ther are no actual passages that say hey this is homosexuality,but at a.s we did something that gave hints of it.we were doing a debate on homosexuality and yes it can be interpretated as contradicting itself.but the Bible does not actually say it is wrong anyway!
  • Options
    I don't have any 'views' per se, they're just people who happen to want to be with members of the same gender.
  • Options
    evidence off the net, as i said it doesnt say direclty but it can be interpretated!

Some passages that have been advanced as pertinent to the issue of homosexuality are, in fact, irrelevant. One is the attempted gang rape in Sodom (Gen. 19:1-29). That was a case of ostensibly heterosexual males intent on humiliating strangers by treating them "like women," thus demasculinizing them. (This is also the case in a similar account in Judges 19-21.) Their brutal behavior has nothing to do with the problem of whether genuine love expressed between consenting adults of the same sex is legitimate or not. Likewise Deut. 23:17-18 must be pruned from the list, since it most likely refers to a heterosexual prostitute involved in Canaanite fertility rites that have infiltrated Jewish worship; the King James Version inaccurately labeled him a "sodomite."

Several other texts are ambiguous. It is not clear whether 1 Cor. 6:9 and 1 Tim. 1:10 refer to the "passive" and "active" partners in homosexual relationships, or to homosexual and heterosexual male prostitutes. In short, it is unclear whether the issue is homosexuality alone, or promiscuity and "sex-for-hire."

Putting these texts to the side, we are left with three references, all of which unequivocally condemn homosexual behavior. Lev. 18:22 states the principle: "You [masculine] shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination" (NRSV). The second (Lev. 20:13) adds the penalty: "If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall be put to death; their blood is upon them."
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I don't mind 'em, as long as they aren't those twats who insist on going on about that they are gay and shove it in your face, all the time. I don't mind if they get on with it like anyone else. Most of 'em dom thnakfully.
  • Options
    billybob87 wrote:
    ther are no actual passages that say hey this is homosexuality,but at a.s we did something that gave hints of it.we were doing a debate on homosexuality and yes it can be interpretated as contradicting itself.but the Bible does not actually say it is wrong anyway!
    Examples?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I don't mind 'em, as long as they aren't those twats who insist on going on about that they are gay and shove it in your face, all the time. I don't mind if they get on with it like anyone else. Most of 'em dom thnakfully.

What do you consider as 'shoved in your face'? Public kissing etc? I find heterosexual couples mostly guilty of that crime [the embittered single :p]
  • Options
    Googled it...

Romans 1:26-27: "For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence [sic] of their error which was meet."

Leviticus 18:22: "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination." 8

So basically it's Ok to be gay as long as you do it standing up?

Leviticus 20:13: "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them."
  • Options
    billybob87 wrote:
    there are plenty of evidence of homosexual happenings in the Bible!so clearly it cant be wrong.
    billybob87 wrote:
    evidence off the net, as i said it doesnt say direclty but it can be interpretated!

Some passages that have been advanced as pertinent to the issue of homosexuality are, in fact, irrelevant. One is the attempted gang rape in Sodom (Gen. 19:1-29). That was a case of ostensibly heterosexual males intent on humiliating strangers by treating them "like women," thus demasculinizing them. (This is also the case in a similar account in Judges 19-21.) Their brutal behavior has nothing to do with the problem of whether genuine love expressed between consenting adults of the same sex is legitimate or not. Likewise Deut. 23:17-18 must be pruned from the list, since it most likely refers to a heterosexual prostitute involved in Canaanite fertility rites that have infiltrated Jewish worship; the King James Version inaccurately labeled him a "sodomite."

Several other texts are ambiguous. It is not clear whether 1 Cor. 6:9 and 1 Tim. 1:10 refer to the "passive" and "active" partners in homosexual relationships, or to homosexual and heterosexual male prostitutes. In short, it is unclear whether the issue is homosexuality alone, or promiscuity and "sex-for-hire."

Putting these texts to the side, we are left with three references, all of which unequivocally condemn homosexual behavior. Lev. 18:22 states the principle: "You [masculine] shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination" (NRSV). The second (Lev. 20:13) adds the penalty: "If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall be put to death; their blood is upon them."

Please explain your first statement, in all the passages you've quoted the people performing homosexual acts are shown in a disapproving light, because something features in the Bible doesn't mean it's approved of under Christian faith, there's enough murder and incest to make a sister shagging serial killer blush.
  • Options
    therefore there is homosexual references!
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    What do you consider as 'shoved in your face'? Public kissing etc? I find heterosexual couples mostly guilty of that crime [the embittered single :p]

Gays who act like Graeme Norton. Trust me, i've seen them. I don't mind kissing or hugging or whatever. Just don't be a prat. I don't prance about going "Im straight, look at me". What makes you special and different?
  • Options
    I didnt say it was approved,I said there are references and yes there are whether they are approved or not!
  • Options
    You can dispute most of the "clobber verses" in the Bible. I don't have the time (or inclination right now) to go into all of them but just as a small aside, when was the last time you saw a Christian check their blouse to make sure it's not linen/wool mix (Deuteronomy 22:11, "Do not wear clothes of wool and linen woven together" (NIV)? And how many Christian women dress according to 1 Timothy 2:9, "...not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes" (NIV)?

think about it.

For reference: "But the Bible..."
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    You can dispute most of the "clobber verses" in the Bible. I don't have the time (or inclination right now) to go into all of them but just as a small aside, when was the last time you saw a Christian check their blouse to make sure it's not linen/wool mix (Deuteronomy 22:11, "Do not wear clothes of wool and linen woven together" (NIV)? And how many Christian women dress according to 1 Timothy 2:9, "...not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes" (NIV)?

think about it.
    i take it u dont believe in the bible then?
    yeah times change,so should views!
  • Options
    billybob87 wrote:
    i take it u dont believe in the bible then?
    yeah times change,so should views!

It's not about belief in the bible.

The point is that if you are going justify your opinions on something in the bible, don't be selective and only use those passages which support your bigotry.

Otherwise someone will quote the West Wing passage, which is where this debate usually ends up.

As for right or wrong, there is no answer because it is neither. Homosexuality just is.

For the Christians I would add "judge not, lest.." etc
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Gays who act like Graeme Norton. Trust me, i've seen them. I don't mind kissing or hugging or whatever. Just don't be a prat. I don't prance about going "Im straight, look at me". What makes you special and different?

As a gay mate of mine says "to me, the whole world is a straight club".
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Gays who act like Graeme Norton. Trust me, i've seen them. I don't mind kissing or hugging or whatever. Just don't be a prat. I don't prance about going "Im straight, look at me".
    But you do, every time you eye a woman up and discuss tits and arse with your mates, or talk about who you've slept with... Effectively anything you do that's considered masculine by our society is rubbing your sexuality in people's faces if you're going to go by stereotypes.
  • Options
    yeah thats true,to be honest no matter what the sexuality,i think kissing in public is rude with other people present....get a room!
  • Options
    Otherwise someone will quote the West Wing passage, which is where this debate usually ends up.

Oooh, please, I've never read it.
  • Options
    billybob87 wrote:
    yeah thats true,to be honest no matter what the sexuality,i think kissing in public is rude with other people present....get a room!

I don't mind a peck or hug between anyone.

A full on snog though... just fuck off. I don't mind gays discussing anyone else's body, but you know, you get right cunts who sortof make it public. Like someone striaght shouting out "Nice arse" down the street. I don't like that either. Anything like that for any sexuality should be stopped, but some gays claim discrimination on it and abuse the fact they are gay. Like Women getting cheapr car insurance than men, because it's "sexist" if they have to pay the same. x(
  • Options
    Do you have a problem with straight couples kissing in public?
  • Options
    If they are gonig for a full on song, yeah, as I said above. But betwee anyone a quick kiss or hug is ok.

Going for it in the middle of the street is a bit nasty.