Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Karl Marx voted greatest philosopher

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    It was. Maybe you need to learn to read properly.

Hmm. I don't need to.

I'd tell you to browse back over the thread and see it's you who always misses the point or ignores it but there wouldn't be much point.
  • Options
    I think you need reading glasses.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Politics (as we know it) is the practical manifestation of philosophy.

Can you expand on this? It's difficult to make it into a meaningful statement. You could just as easily say that technology is the practical manifestation of philosophy...

Furthermore, if we're going to end up saying that all fields of knowledge are inseperable from philosophy (and we may well end up at that conclusion) can we really say that a philosopher, whose contributions to the field are entirely based in the political sphere and have led to half the world creating practically unnworkable societies (whether by misunderstanding, misappropriation or downright mismangement of his ideas), is the greatest when many who went before were able to produce philosophies spanning the political, ethical and metaphysical AND have them last for hundreds or even thousands of years?

That's what makes me suspicious of this poll. In all honesty, I can't see anyone with an in-depth knowledge of philosophy, voting for Marx. His ideas just aren't of the magnitude of so many other thinkers and their impact has been largely negative (with the best will in the world).

We also seem to be saying that anyone with very little idea of the ideas put forward by Marx, would've voted for one of the bigger names such as Plato.

Which all begs the question, why Marx?
  • Options
    Did you see that Marx quote I posted earlier?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Did you see that Marx quote I posted earlier?

Yes and I disagree on a number of levels.

Most obviously, have Marx's theories actually changed anything for the better? However good you think they are as theories, they have the disadvantage of having been put into practice with some fairly disasterous results.

Now...you might say to me that that is because they weren't put into practice properly - that the gradual change Marx talks about, never happened and that people didn't properly observe his ideas, but I might equally say that humans are not predisposed to act in the way Marx suggests, and I don't think they are.

Furthermore I maintain that a critique of capitalism is not philosophy in any meaningful sense, except inasmuch as we might claim that the theory of relativity is philosophy.
  • Options
    Marx did a lot more than critique capitalism. He formulated views on human nature, history, work, social relations etc. Have his theories been put into practice? Well a lot of his work wasn't about "putting into practice", it was about analysing and critiqueing capitalism - which much success. His views on alienation and commodity fetishisism are more relevant now than ever before.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Marx did a lot more than critique capitalism. He formulated views on human nature, history, work, social relations etc. Have his theories been put into practice? Well a lot of his work wasn't about "putting into practice", it was about analysing and critiqueing capitalism - which much success. His views on alienation and commodity fetishisism are more relevant now than ever before.

I agree he was a great philosopher - far better than I'll ever be - but most of what he did, Hegel did better and earlier.
  • Options
    Now...you might say to me that that is because they weren't put into practice properly - that the gradual change Marx talks about, never happened and that people didn't properly observe his ideas, but I might equally say that humans are not predisposed to act in the way Marx suggests, and I don't think they are.

You could also make a case for stating that what Marx pointed out stopped it from happening. If you tell humans what the future holds, it won't.
  • Options
    Well I'll freely admit I haven't read anything by a couple on that list and very little of several others but, sinse no other poster has mentioned him and to my mind he is the greatest philosopher ... i'll put my vote for David Hume (although if I ever see another copy of Enquiry I might throw myself of a bridge).

As to the most influential philosopher I think I'd have to go with either Plato or Aristotle mainly for reasons already mentioned.

And although I don't want to get into or re-start Blagsta and groovechampion's argument . . . it does say something for BBC 4's audience intellect that they didn't vote Descartes up there despite how well known he is.
  • Options
    I agree he was a great philosopher - far better than I'll ever be - but most of what he did, Hegel did better and earlier.

Hegel and Marx were very very different, except for dialectics. Hegel was basically a mystic, Marx a materialist.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Hegel and Marx were very very different, except for dialectics. Hegel was basically a mystic, Marx a materialist.

Without Hegel, there would've been no Marx. Hegel pretty much invented the concept of alienation. Trouble is, Hegel's writing is even more turgid than Marx's (and that's saying something!) so nobody reads him (I was subjected to him as an undergrad...Marx as well).

Marx's views on human nature were way off beam - that's the main reason his philosophy falls down in my view.
  • Options
    Without Hegel, there would've been no Marx. Hegel pretty much invented the concept of alienation. Trouble is, Hegel's writing is even more turgid than Marx's (and that's saying something!) so nobody reads him (I was subjected to him as an undergrad...Marx as well).

Marx's views on human nature were way off beam - that's the main reason his philosophy falls down in my view.

Of course Marx built on Hegel. So what? All knowledge builds or draws from other knowledge - thats the nature of knowledge, it doesn't exist in a vacuum.

What is it about Marx's views on human nature that you disagree with?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Human nature is a matter of opinion. In my opinion, its all down to nurture, how you are bought up and grow up.

Either way, Marx is undoubtably, IMO, the most influential thinker.
  • Options
    what about Engles, did he not help write Das Kapital?
  • Options
    Yes, he did. But sadly he less well know than Marx, despite their close freindship and co-opperation.
  • Options
    There was a wonderful article about Marx in the mail a couple of weeks back, I'll try and find it for you all.
  • Options
    Hopefully NOT the daily mail.

Just to show how shit it is, (My parents read it. Sigh.) I was reading an article about the scrapping of a Jaguar squadron. The Picture was labeled as a jaguar. It was a motherfucking Tornado. Front page. "Police Officers carrying Machine Guns". I hope not. They are rather heavy and inacurate unless deployed. They would hit shit. Those are SMG's, or Sub Machine Guns.

Sorry if this post is a tad shit. I've been drinking. But I hope you get the point. I might complain.