Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Karl Marx voted greatest philosopher

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The poll was for who the greatest philosopher was, but seeing as the Radio 4 audience will on the whole only have basic knowledge of philosophy and philosophers, the results will be based more on who they have heard of and about their very superficial knowledge (if any, in some cases) of the philosophers shortlisted.

Eh? It was a poll for a well known radio programme about philosophy for the greatest philosopher. On that basis, it is wiser to assume that people voted for who they believe the greatestm philosopher to be. Unless you're privy to info that the rest of us aren't?
    Your worst trick of all; losing an argument? I know! I'll compare him to the Daily Mail or the BNP! That'll prove my point. :yeees:

Eh? :confused:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    it is wiser to assume that people voted for who they believe the greatestm philosopher to be.

Normally I'd agree with you. The trouble is that no matter how I try (and even taking into account the obvious subjectivity of the matter) there's no way I can see why a majority of people would think that Marx was the greatest philospher - I speak as a philosophy graduate.

His writing is not, in my opinion, that revolutionary in a philosophical sense. He's not a pure philosopher. He doesn't have the radically different way of thinking that Nietzsche had - that's not even to mention the likes of Plato. he doesn't have the staggering intellect of Leibniz and he had a partner in his writing, Engels, who, it seems, is completely forgotten when it comes time to decide who's the greatest.
  • Options
    I think the term 'greatest' isn't specific enough.

I think Marx would win 'most influential' perhaps

and of course there are many different branches of philosophy which are difficult to compare perhaps.........

Also there is the distinction between the method and the results.........
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I don't understand what point you're trying to make. :confused:

Point 1 We agree that some people think Marx's critique is correct and we agree that some people's critique is incorrect.

Point 2 Where we don't seem to be able to agree is the number who think Marx is correct compared to those who don't. I suspect you think the numbers who agree with it are higher than I think.

Unfortunately neither of us can proove our views are on Point 2 are correct, all we can is provide anecdotal evidence of people agreeing or disagreeing, which only provides evidence for point 1.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    I think Marx would win 'most influential' perhaps

A very good point...but good luck to anyone who wants to argue that Marx's theorys are more influential than, say, Aristotelian Ethics.

Rather hard to prove either way. We can point to the fact that at one point in the last century, half of the world claimed to be following Marxist principles, but how does that compare to centuries of influence to the extent that many people probably don't realise what's even based on Greek philsosphy these days (not to mention Aristotle tutored Alexander the Great).
  • Options
    I was thinking the same thing with regard to Aristole, particulalry with regards to his influence on Christian thought etc through Thomas Aquinas and other Christian thinkers.

However I would say Aristotles influence has been restricted more to other thinkers whereas Marx has been more influential of 'ordianry' people.

I would imagine most people could give a very basic idea of what 'Marxism' meant whereas the numbers who could do similar for Aristolte, at any time in the last 2000 years, would be minute..........
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    I would imagine most people could give a very basic idea of what 'Marxism' meant whereas the numbers who could do similar for Aristolte, at any time in the last 2000 years, would be minute..........

Indeed...that rather backs up what people are saying about the voting being based on the most famous rather than the best. Despite the fact that a lot of people can give you a potted version of Marxism (actually rather debateable I should think), far more will have used Aristotle's work and never realised it.

Is 'influential' defined by knowing a philosopher's work and using it, or in using it whether you know who's it is or not.
  • Options
    Not sure to be honest

I am not certain that far more people have used Aristoles work, even without knowing it and if they did it was probably to a rather limited degree wheras Marxism has been THE central ideas system for millions of people.........
  • Options
    Yeah an analysis of capitalism, however important it might be to people who are obsessed with such things(blagsta), doesn't make him the greatest philosopher of all time.

So, an analysis of how our society is organised is not actually important to you? I guess you'd rather hang on to discredited ideas like the social contract huh?
  • Options

Is an analysis of the workings of capitalism, strictly speaking, philosophy anyway? Seems more like sociology/economics/political science or somesuch. Marx wouldn't even be on my list of 10.

Politics & philosophy are inseparably linked. I probably wouldn't have voted for Marx, but still, as political philosophy it's easy for people to understand the main concepts and see their relevence today, which would be my guess as to the reason for him being voted no 1.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Eh? It was a poll for a well known radio programme about philosophy for the greatest philosopher. On that basis, it is wiser to assume that people voted for who they believe the greatestm philosopher to be. Unless you're privy to info that the rest of us aren't?:

You know exactly the point that I (and about 3 other posters) were trying to make. Either that or you're thick. Whichever it is I'm not going to repeat it AGAIN.

Blagsta wrote:
    Eh? :confused:

You said I was having a fit "like the Daily Mail had", which is your way of "proving" a your point. You always compare the other person to the Daily Mail, The Sun or the BNP, which just shows how meaningless your arguments are.
  • Options
    I think that Marx is a very influential philosopher, the fact that the 20th century was shaped by the division between Communism (shaped by Lenin but was inspired by the works of Marx) and Capitalism. The question asked is there another philosopher who has had as big an impact on history??

Most people who have a rough idea about Marx's and his work but would not have a clue about other philosopher such as Hobbs’s or Plato.

Also this is not the only victory Marx's has had on the BBC...

Marx the millennium's 'greatest thinker'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/461545.stm

:yes:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    So, an analysis of how our society is organised is not actually important to you? I guess you'd rather hang on to discredited ideas like the social contract huh?

Hardly discredited. Disputed certainly.

Of course analysis of society is important, but once again you either deliberately or through stupidity miss the point. Analysis of capitalism doesn't make Marx the greatest philosopher ever, some would say it's not even a part of philosophy. Understand that?
  • Options
    Oh fer Chrissakes. :rolleyes: No one is claiming that he is the undispusted greatest philosopher ever. What it is was was a straw poll of Radio 4 listeners to a certain programme. I was hoping to generate an interesting thread, not get it bogged down with pedantic arseholes.
  • Options
    You know exactly the point that I (and about 3 other posters) were trying to make. Either that or you're thick. Whichever it is I'm not going to repeat it AGAIN.

No, that is not the point you made. The point you made was that you thought that people were only voting for the people they'd heard of. I'm pointing out that you're being incredibly simple minded. Some people may have voted for that reason certainly, but you cannot say that everyone did.

You said I was having a fit "like the Daily Mail had", which is your way of "proving" a your point. You always compare the other person to the Daily Mail, The Sun or the BNP, which just shows how meaningless your arguments are.

No, I was saying that your idiotic pedantry seems to be based on a dislike for Marx and his ideas rather than any seriously thought out arguments. Just like the Daily Mail's reaction.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    No, that is not the point you made. The point you made was that you thought that people were only voting for the people they'd heard of. I'm pointing out that you're being incredibly simple minded. Some people may have voted for that reason certainly, but you cannot say that everyone did..
    I didn't say everyone did and I made that clear. You can't keep track of a discussion you lose track of the plot.

Blagsta wrote:

No, I was saying that your idiotic pedantry seems to be based on a dislike for Marx and his ideas rather than any seriously thought out arguments. Just like the Daily Mail's reaction.

I admire Marx and think he should be in at least the top 20. My arguments are always more thought out than yours. My reaction was nothing like the Daily Mail's you cock. I made a perfectly valid point about why he was voted top, which most people on this thread agreed with. You're the pedantic fuckwit.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Politics & philosophy are inseparably linked. I probably wouldn't have voted for Marx, but still, as political philosophy it's easy for people to understand the main concepts and see their relevence today, which would be my guess as to the reason for him being voted no 1.

Yep.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Oh fer Chrissakes. :rolleyes: No one is claiming that he is the undispusted greatest philosopher ever. What it is was was a straw poll of Radio 4 listeners to a certain programme. I was hoping to generate an interesting thread, not get it bogged down with pedantic arseholes.

You were certainly insinuating this poll was credible a minute ago. I made a valid point, you bogged it down with shite nonsensical points.
  • Options
    I didn't say everyone did and I made that clear. You can't keep track of a discussion you lose track of the plot.

Errr...yeah you did. Look -
    Most well-known more like.
    http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showpost.php?p=1394619&postcount=2

That very much implies that you think that people voted for Marx because he is the most well known. I'd argue that Plato is more well known as a philosopher than Marx.
    I admire Marx and think he should be in at least the top 20. My arguments are always more thought out than yours. My reaction was nothing like the Daily Mail's you cock. I made a perfectly valid point about why he was voted top, which most people on this thread agreed with. You're the pedantic fuckwit.

You haven't made any argument except that "more people have heard of Marx as a philosopher", which is (a) compeltely unprovable and (b) not thought out at all
  • Options
    You were certainly insinuating this poll was credible a minute ago. I made a valid point, you bogged it down with shite nonsensical points.

Oh fer fucksake. Please try reading what I actually write rather than what you imagine I write.
  • Options
    J wrote:
    Not at all.

No, really.

Politics (as we know it) is the practical manifestation of philosophy.
  • Options
    the philosophers have only interpreted the world, the point is to change it

Karl Marx
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Errr...yeah you did. Look -

http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showpost.php?p=1394619&postcount=2

That very much implies that you think that people voted for Marx because he is the most well known. I'd argue that Plato is more well known as a philosopher than Marx.

No, again you miss/twist the point. I didn't say everyone did. Just that the results that came up were because a majority or at a lot of the people voted for who they'd heard of.

It's pointless arguing with you, you are either thick or just obtuse.
  • Options
    No, again you miss/twist the point. I didn't say everyone did. Just that the results that came up were because a majority or at a lot of the people voted for who they'd heard of.

You have absolutely no evidence to base that on.
    It's pointless arguing with you, you are either thick or just obtuse.

Aaaah, lose the argument and resort to abuse. Well done.

Look -

No one has ever said its meant to be the definitive poll on the bestest philosopher ever. Its a straw poll of listeners to a Radio 4 programme. However, this does not mean that people only voted for who they've heard of. If that was the case, Plato or Socrates would probably have won.
    You are basing your opinion on nothing at all. I'm basing mine on the fact that it was a poll of Radio 4 listeners to a programme that often discusses philosophical ideas. See the difference?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

Aaaah, lose the argument and resort to abuse. Well done.

So very rich coming from you. You lost the argument a while back and you resorted to your old tactic of comparing me to the Daily Mail or calling me a "BNP troll" (whatever the hell that is) :thumb: .
  • Options
    So very rich coming from you. You lost the argument a while back and you resorted to your old tactic of comparing me to the Daily Mail or calling me a "BNP troll" (whatever the hell that is) :thumb: .

As I said - try reading what I actually write, rather than what you imagine I write. It will make things easier for everyone.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    As I said - try reading what I actually write, rather than what you imagine I write. It will make things easier for everyone.

Hmmm, remind me never to bother arguing with you again. That was pretty pointless.
  • Options
    Balddog wrote:
    Is it limited to european philosophers or summit?

Anyone in mind?

seeker
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    So, give me a critique of Marx then.

Do YOU not have one yourself ?

(BTW,thats a serious question)

seeker
  • Options
    Hmmm, remind me never to bother arguing with you again. That was pretty pointless.

It was. Maybe you need to learn to read properly.