Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Karl Marx voted greatest philosopher

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah exactly, you plop-monkey. So it won't really be indicative of the greatest philosopher of all time then. It's probably more likely to be based largely upon who the majority of Radio 4 listeners have heard of.

Christ, you're a knob. Its more likely to be a poll of who Radio 4 listeners think has had the most influence. Its not meant to be a poll of philosophers, its meant to be a poll of the Radio 4 audience. Now quite why you think that the Radio 4 audience is so dumb as to only vote for people they've heard of, christ only knows. I've heard of all the philosophers in the top ten there and I'm not that well educated.
  • Options
    Because of the results you jobby.

The reason why they voted the way they did was probably heavily influenced by who they had heard of, a poll of people who know a little more would have had different results.

What is the matter with you? I'd bet most people (especially a Radio 4 audience) would have heard of all those in the top ten.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Christ, you're a knob. Its more likely to be a poll of who Radio 4 listeners think has had the most influence. Its not meant to be a poll of philosophers, its meant to be a poll of the Radio 4 audience. Now quite why you think that the Radio 4 audience is so dumb as to only vote for people they've heard of, christ only knows. I've heard of all the philosophers in the top ten there and I'm not that well educated.

You are a complete dick.

I didn't say the Radio 4 audience are stupid, just that that poll is more a reflection of who they've heard of and not a true representation of their opinions about who has contributed the most/been the most influential/is the greatest philosopher of all time.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    What is the matter with you? I'd bet most people (especially a Radio 4 audience) would have heard of all those in the top ten.

Doubt it.

I doubt even more that many of them have any more than a superficial knowledge of even half of those ten philosopher's theories.
  • Options
    You are a complete dick.

I didn't say the Radio 4 audience are stupid, just that that poll is more a reflection of who they've heard of and not a true representation of their opinions about who has contributed the most/been the most influential/is the greatest philosopher of all time.

And on what evidence do you base that opinion?
  • Options
    Doubt it.

I doubt even more that many of them have any more than a superficial knowledge of even half of those ten philosopher's theories.

As I said - I've heard of all of them and my formal education isn't that great.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    And on what evidence do you base that opinion?

The fact that Marx would not be considered the greatest philosopher of all time by most people who know a bit about philosophers.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    As I said - I've heard of all of them and my formal education isn't that great.

Well Q.E.D. then! :yeees: Or maybe you are just very clever.
  • Options
    Sorry, what? You seem to be basing your view on nothing at all.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    A lot of economists and capitalists do accept it, as do a lot of historians.

A lot is different from most and I suspect most economists and historians don't agree with his analysis.

But at the end of the day its unproovable without questioning every historian and economist (and then we get into arguments over who qualifies).
  • Options
    Is it limited to european philosophers or summit?
  • Options
    Balddog wrote:
    Is it limited to european philosophers or summit?

No these were just the top 10 finalists.
  • Options
    just euros in shortlist too....odd
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Sorry, what? You seem to be basing your view on nothing at all.

No, not really. More than you are basing yours on, which seems to be no more than you are left-wing and think it validates your views because people voted for who you see as the champion of your cause.
  • Options
    Eh? :confused: I'm basing my opinion on the fact that the poll was for the Radio 4 programme "In Our Time" which is a long running and well known programme that discusses, amongst other things, philosophy. Couple that with the mostly middle class and educated demographic of Radio 4 and the fact that the poll was about greatest philosophers, and that leads me to believe that people voted for who they thought the greatest philospher was.

Whereas you seem to be basing your opinion on your dislike of the left, rather like the fit that the Daily Mail had.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    A lot is different from most and I suspect most economists and historians don't agree with his analysis.

But at the end of the day its unproovable without questioning every historian and economist (and then we get into arguments over who qualifies).

Have a read of that Francis Wheen article I linked to.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Have a read of that Francis Wheen article I linked to.

At the risk off appearing stupid the only link I can see on this thread is the BBC Radio 4 one. Could you repost, thanks.
  • Options
  • Options
    Balddog wrote:
    just euros in shortlist too....odd

I think you will find that it is only European culture philosophers who are ever considered in these things.

Eastern philosophy etc isn't considered because it is essentially something completely differenbt i.e. mysticism and wothavyou
  • Options
    Incidentally I would have gone for Aristotle out of those.............
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

Thanks (OK I'm officially stupid).

I'm not sure it invalidates my point though, some anecdotal evidence that some financiers, economists and journalists accept Marx's theories doesn't mean that the majority of people do.

Other economists, financiers and journalists don't accept his theory.

And Frances Wheen is surely a man who want to say that Marx is the greatest philiosopher given that he wrote an autobiography on him and was also his supporter for the Radio 4 programme.

I suspect another reason why Marx did well is that he still has active adherents - I'm not sure that's there's many people nowdays who claim to be active supporters of Hume or Plato.
  • Options
    Since philosophy is thinking about why wer are here etc. then surely rockstars are pretty influencial, even if it wasn't their thoughts etc. and just lyrics written for them, some songs have made millions think. Please tell me if I'm getting completely the wrong end of the stick :) I'm not actually 100% sure what philosophy is, jsut that it's generally about ideas and idealogys.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Thanks (OK I'm officially stupid).

I'm not sure it invalidates my point though, some anecdotal evidence that some financiers, economists and journalists accept Marx's theories doesn't mean that the majority of people do.

Other economists, financiers and journalists don't accept his theory.

And Frances Wheen is surely a man who want to say that Marx is the greatest philiosopher given that he wrote an autobiography on him and was also his supporter for the Radio 4 programme.

I suspect another reason why Marx did well is that he still has active adherents - I'm not sure that's there's many people nowdays who claim to be active supporters of Hume or Plato.

So, give me a critique of Marx then.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    So, give me a critique of Marx then.

Whats that got to do with it? I'm not arguing whether he's right or wrong. I'm arguing that there are plenty of people who do not accept the analysis of Marx.
  • Options
    Yes there are. However, a lot of capitalists and economists do accept his analysis of capitalism.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Yes there are. However, a lot of capitalists and economists do accept his analysis of capitalism.

Fine so we agree that some people agree with Marx and others don't. Now all we disagree on is this relative numbers and I can't proove anything either way - though I have my views. Can you?
  • Options
    I don't understand what point you're trying to make. :confused:
  • Options
    I can only assume that the title is wrong on the Beeb page and this is actually a poll for 'Best Philosophical Beard'.

Marx?! You're having a laugh intcha?

Is an analysis of the workings of capitalism, strictly speaking, philosophy anyway? Seems more like sociology/economics/political science or somesuch. Marx wouldn't even be on my list of 10.

What no Sartre? Kierkegaard? Leibniz? Heidegger?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Eh? :confused: I'm basing my opinion on the fact that the poll was for the Radio 4 programme "In Our Time" which is a long running and well known programme that discusses, amongst other things, philosophy. Couple that with the mostly middle class and educated demographic of Radio 4 and the fact that the poll was about greatest philosophers, and that leads me to believe that people voted for who they thought the greatest philospher was..

The poll was for who the greatest philosopher was, but seeing as the Radio 4 audience will on the whole only have basic knowledge of philosophy and philosophers, the results will be based more on who they have heard of and about their very superficial knowledge (if any, in some cases) of the philosophers shortlisted.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Whereas you seem to be basing your opinion on your dislike of the left, rather like the fit that the Daily Mail had.

Your worst trick of all; losing an argument? I know! I'll compare him to the Daily Mail or the BNP! That'll prove my point. :yeees:
  • Options
    I can only assume that the title is wrong on the Beeb page and this is actually a poll for 'Best Philosophical Beard'.

Marx?! You're having a laugh intcha??

Would be more appropriate - Marx's beard is no1.
    Is an analysis of the workings of capitalism, strictly speaking, philosophy anyway? Seems more like sociology/economics/political science or somesuch. Marx wouldn't even be on my list of 10.

Yeah an analysis of capitalism, however important it might be to people who are obsessed with such things(blagsta), doesn't make him the greatest philosopher of all time.