Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

manchester shopping centre stops goff girl entering

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Having a group of teenagers with their faces concealed is threatening and intimidating.

No, some people perceive it as threatening. The act itself is neither threatening, nor intimidating.

Still. end of the day its a waste of time talking about it - society is being herded into intolerance without a bleat.......
  • Options
    I never knew hoodies were banned in the Trafford Centre (saw that in the article).

I'm sure I've worn my Evanescence hoodie in there before. :chin:

It's more about having the hood up, and concealing your face from people/cameras.
  • Options
    It's more about having the hood up, and concealing your face from people/cameras.

cameras and people that shouldn't be being nosey in the first place, i've always believed teenagers are always in rebellion from the "system", more cameras and rules just give them more reasons to be the rebel and make the problem worse...it's quite funny...
  • Options
    No, some people perceive it as threatening. The act itself is neither threatening, nor intimidating.

Well that's what I meant, as an adjective (describing the kids) rather than a verb (in what the kids were doing was).
    Still. end of the day its a waste of time talking about it - society is being herded into intolerance without a bleat.......

I disagree. Society is tolerant, but some things take it too far. Like this case.
  • Options
    I disagree. Society is tolerant, but some things take it too far. Like this case.

Yes, and detention without trial, ASBOs, hoodies, trainers b4 exams, injunctions against protestors, curfews for kids, id cards, cctv, deporting asylum seekers to Zimbabwe, detaining child refugees ......... they all link together, and form a pretty unpleasant picture.

:eek2:
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    cameras and people that shouldn't be being nosey in the first place, i've always believed teenagers are always in rebellion from the "system", more cameras and rules just give them more reasons to be the rebel and make the problem worse...it's quite funny...

Personally, as a young person, I don't have a problem with cameras and stuff following me - I do nothing wrong, I have nothing to hide. But you obviously haven't been to Manchester and seen the types of kids that hang around these places, stealing and causing trouble and abusing people and stuff.

We shouldn't have to have cameras - but the 'bad' behaviour came first. The cameras came second.
  • Options
    If any of you had actually been to Manchester city centre and seen the hordes of Goth teenagers who congregate aroudn the place every weekend then your views would be different.

They are a nuisance and they definitely intimidate some shoppers by loitering around in front of the Triangle.
  • Options
    And now you can kiss your 'rights' goodbye....
    Personally, as a young person, I don't have a problem with cameras and stuff following me - I do nothing wrong, I have nothing to hide. But you obviously haven't been to Manchester and seen the types of kids that hang around these places, stealing and causing trouble and abusing people and stuff.

We shouldn't have to have cameras - but the 'bad' behaviour came first. The cameras came second.

Yes, and the harsher the measures adopted, the worse the behaviour gets....
    Just when it seems we have reached full panic mode, an even bigger problem erupts.

The process seems to be working just fine.
  • Options
    If any of you had actually been to Manchester city centre and seen the hordes of Goth teenagers who congregate aroudn the place every weekend then your views would be different.

They are a nuisance and they definitely intimidate some shoppers by loitering around in front of the Triangle.

Exactly my point. I fully agree with this.
    Yes, and the harsher the measures adopted, the worse the behaviour gets....
    Just when it seems we have reached full panic mode, an even bigger problem erupts.

The process seems to be working just fine.

Well, how about you come up with a scheme that actually does work? If that;s your attitude, then nothing will ever be good enough for you. It's a fucking stupid rule that we must behave worse if we are actually being watched, it all adds to the drama and excitement of being caught acting stupidly and making other peoples lives difficult...

Balls.
  • Options
    How big is a "horde" and how does it intimidate?
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

ETA:

Manchesteronline
    Steve wrote:
    Yes, ban people who wear black. I've never trusted nuns, they're always up to something. Seriously. Show me the times that a group of Goths have caused trouble, they are far too vain to risk chipping a nail. Take a close look at their boots, it's not footwear for running away in. Imagine the police line-up. "It was her with the bright red hair and 15 facial peircings."
    BigK wrote:
    Adam says "If its the way she wants to dress she can dress like it" Sure she can Adam but if society sees her as a possible trouble causer then she has to consider her position.

Yes, we should all bow at the altar of public perception - I hate Ben Sherman shirts I do, and I'm fucked if I'm wearing one to get into a shop......
  • Options
    :shocking:

Would you sue for discrimination if you were turned away from a nightclub because you weren't dressed in a manner that pleased them?

I don't think turning her away is the issue here, more that the inconsistency in which it is applied, and the lack of information. They seem to just stop people on the door, when it is obviously a popular shopping area where people go to so why no warning of the new regulations to how people dress?

yes, I would sue...or rock of justice.
  • Options
    Personally, as a young person, I don't have a problem with cameras and stuff following me.

:yes: That is true, if you aren't doing anything wrong you don't have anything to fear in terms of direct repercussions. And most teens can walk around in business establishments without being hassled. But with all the cameras and security officers I can't help but be reminded of Jeremy Bethman's panopticon.

I have to say I agree with Blagsta and FTP of this one (although ya might wanna not go after shy boy as hard as ya did ;) )

By wearing abnormal cloths you aren't intimidating anybody. I suggested that she sue the business because money really is the only language that they understand, and someone has got to teach those elitist pricks and their security guards a lesson.

Junk like this drives me nuts. I once was asked to leave a store because i have short hair and was wearing camo shorts. Apparently that's rather frightening for some adults and was hindering commerce.
    :rolleyes:
  • Options

I frequently go there, and I feel much safer and less intimidated on the streets around Affleck's Palace than I ever do walking around the squares by Urbis and Selfridges.

Society is very intolerant, I don't think its any more so than it ever was, there's finally the technology to enforce it now.

Nightclubs having dress codes are a funny one, I'm not sure where I stand. I don't think it is the same as restricting access to schooling or shopping because of clothing, however.
  • Options
    I'm sure in America somewhere they banned those trenchcoats because they were intimidating / you could hide a weapon. But don't quote me. Anyway, I agree in principle that if people are intimidating shoppers then it's ok to exclude them - however, has anyone here even been intimidated by a 15 year old goth?
  • Options
    If it was urgent I'd go home, take off the black make up, pull on some jeans or trousers and a shirt or top, wash my hair and go back down to the shop. Perhaps it's not fair to force people to do this if it's their only option though, but I personally see a shopping centre as a luxury as predominantly it's indulgence items that are bought. Thorntons chocolate, snazzy clothes shops etc. etc.

Eh? :confused:
  • Options

How are goths intimidating? If you find goths intimidating, I dunno how you cope with the world.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    How are goths intimidating?

Their faces are so low that you could trip over them. v. dangerous.

Possibly.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Eh? :confused:

Sorry, I was saying if it was a life or death situation then I would change my clothes so I could get in the shop. But I'm aware that people should have the freedom to where what they like (so long as it's not stupid; i.e. nothing) when they go out shopping.
  • Options
    give teens a chance...manners will follow after that!
  • Options
    im sorry....but where i live the goths are quiet and dont cause any trouble....its the chavs that hang round in groups in the shopping centers and intimidate people
  • Options
    Sorry, I was saying if it was a life or death situation then I would change my clothes so I could get in the shop. But I'm aware that people should have the freedom to where what they like (so long as it's not stupid; i.e. nothing) when they go out shopping.

I was having a debate with the free marketeers about whether a shop owner has the right to refuse service to black people. A black person can't exactly change their skin colour can they?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    im sorry....but where i live the goths are quiet and dont cause any trouble....its the chavs that hang round in groups in the shopping centers and intimidate people

but they were black, and they're likely to spread the depression disease
  • Options

yeh but why if i havent done anything illegal or unethical thati should have to have my hood down, i dont have my hood up normally im just saying why should people be forced to

if someone is scared of me with my hood up then theyre the ones with the problem, not me and i shouldnt be punished for someones insecurities
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    but they were black, and they're likely to spread the depression disease

then if i ran a shopping centre id ban guys who look camp, cause i dont want the trend of looking camp to catch up.......
  • Options
    then if i ran a shopping centre id ban guys who look camp, cause i dont want the trend of looking camp to catch up.......

exactly, in fact just ban everyone who's not a white, straight, male who dresses "normally"...should sort the problem out!
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    exactly, in fact just ban everyone who's not a white, straight, male who dresses "normally"...should sort the problem out!

furthering the zombiefication of this coutnry

this country thrives when people are allowed to do their own things in a responsible environment, and yet this country is going to the dogs cause of the over nannyfication of people who expect to be happy 100% of the time, and live the celeb fucknig lifestyle, and if theyre not its something medical whic his out of their control, when its is their bloody fault for expecting too much, i not happy 100% nor do i live a celeb lifestyle but im somehow content and really healthy - life ISNT SUPPOSED TO BE PERFECT - celebrate our differences and accept others and find them amusing :D
  • Options
    We've come a long way... banning someone from a shopping centre is better than sticking a sword in them, after all ;). I think issues with groups / clans / tribes or whatever you want to call them have and likely will always be there. As you pointed out with "the zombiefication of this country" we can't all be the same, but for that reason I doubt it will be possible for everyone to get along perfectly.

I think exclusion and segregation can sometimes be good. But many would disagree with me I'm sure - but it's a phenonimon that creates itself. Many here would not want to hang out with 'chavs' from their own free will, they don't need to be held apart by rules. Same with goths, or any group to be honest. But anyway...
  • Options
    I'd rather hang out with chavs than goths (and I say that as an ex-goth :o )
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I'd rather hang out with chavs than goths (and I say that as an ex-goth :o )

prejudiced scum

i talk to anyone, if they annoying they annyoing, and if i get on with them i jsut do, how it should be....
  • Options
    prejudiced scum

:yeees:

What the fuck are you on? It's a preference. I've got mates on both ends of the spectrum, and to be honest I'd rather hang out with the 'chavs'/scallies than the 'goths'. And what?

And can only be a good thing in my opinion. The goth birds round here tend to be fat ugly fuckers with their tits spilling out everywhere, I don't wanna have to catch a glimpse of that as I'm picking out something nice for the old dear. :razz: