Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

manchester shopping centre stops goff girl entering

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
"cause she'll put of customers"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=15599732%26method=full%26siteid=94762%26headline=banned%2dfrom%2dshops%2d%2d%2dbecause%2dshe%2ds%2da%2dgoth-name_page.html

so theyll be so hard pressed to find another boots, mcdonalds, topshop, hmv etc :lol:

Comments

• Options
    Absolutley pathetic.

As I have said before, they wouldn't dare do it do an adult.
  • Options
    what a load of crap
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    That takes the piss. Its not as if she is wearing a motorbike helmet or something to disguise her is it? She's hardly a threat.
  • Options
    Absolutely ridiculous.

People treat young adults as vermin, and then wonder why kids say "fuck you" to the world and go and trash phone boxes.

For all this talk of "respect" in government, it seems that little has changed from when children were expected to be not seen and not heard. Respect works both ways, it's bizarre how it's only the weakest and least enfranchised in society who suffer this trouble.

If 16-year-olds could vote maybe politicians would start listening a bit more.
  • Options
    Anyone noticed:
    article wrote:
    Bosses claimed visitor numbers rocketed 23 per cent as a result.

I think companies always have and always will try to maximise profits and exclude whoever makes this more possible. It's not ethical, but it makes money.
  • Options
    I did notice.

I also noticed it was half-term holidays last week, which would account for the increase.

Shurely shome mishtake?
  • Options
    I like The Triangle. I won't stop shopping there just because they won't let a goth in.

Seriosuly though, I didn't think it would be the type of place a goth would want to go into - it's trendy.

ETA - that isn't meant offensively. I can't phrase it any other way though.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Absolutley pathetic.

As I have said before, they wouldn't dare do it do an adult.
    Actually, when I was nineteen I was asked to leave a bar for wearing baggy pants and a Tshirt when there were people in scruffy paint coated jeans and trackie bottoms in there. I'm a clean person, don't wear makeup... I just happened to be wearing baggy pants and a rockerish Tshirt.
  • Options
    This is a disgrace - and doesn't exactly encourage younger people to be respectful towards authority when they treat them so badly.

So much for the Dear Leader going on about 'respect'. Can they really blame the young people who tell the authoritarian fuckwits in power where to get off when they adopt this sort of attitude?
  • Options
    If they have a dress code in this premises then it should be respected, nevertheless. What about that muslim girl who wanted to wear an alternative school uniform, and most people on here thought she was a bit of an idiot. I think the hypocrisy with this case is they let her in with her mum, but not on her own. If you're going to have dress codes they have to be consistently applied, as the case of the boy, his trainers and an english exam proves.

There are dress codes all over the place, don't see why it's such a big deal. :chin: Go into a fancy restuarant wearing greasy dirty jeans, they'll probably ask you to leave. Etc. etc. etc.
  • Options
    There are dress codes all over the place, don't see why it's such a big deal. :chin: Go into a fancy restuarant wearing greasy dirty jeans, they'll probably ask you to leave. Etc. etc. etc.
    lol the bar I was in was a Wetherspoons type bar and it was around 3pm on a weekday. The staff just didn't like "goffics", whatever they are... Neither did the police.

The thing is people stereotype and often these stereotypes are based on media icons. I can't think of any positive 'goth' icons of today... If you can call the music 'goth'.
  • Options
    J wrote:
    That's completely different in my opinion. Education is all about discipline whereas a shopping center is all about bringing in customers and making money. It has nothing to do with the way people look.

But if you bring in more people by not letting in people who look a certain way...? They just want to bring in more customers like middle aged and older genration people (with more money than teenagers) who will buy stuff than letter teenagers 'scare them away'.

I may be a bit posh in this regard but I think if you're going out to a high street shopping centre then you should be dressed appropriately smart. Not OTT, but looking like marilyn manson is more something I'd expect to see at halloween, not everyday.

And to moonrat: I wasn't responding to your experience individually, and having read it it does seem a case of unfair discrination based on prejudice. But then again, if the customers prefer not to see people dressed as goths; well a happy customer is what business is all about!
  • Options
    I may be a bit posh in this regard but I think if you're going out to a high street shopping centre then you should be dressed appropriately smart.

I don't think that makes you a bit posh. A bit naive maybe, and definitely a bit pretentious.
    If they have a dress code in this premises then it should be respected

And it should also be applied fairly and consistently.

The girl could go in with her mum, but not with her friends? Why the inconsistency?

Would she have got in if she'd been wearing tight Miss Sixty jeans that gave her four arse-cheeks and a tank top from Republic? "Smartness" has to work for all, not just clientele that aren't wanted.

Speaking for myself, if somewhere or someone doesn't like how I'm dressed, then they can go fuck themselves. If they won't let me in I don't want to go in.

The amusing thing is that I was at work today in a solicitor's chambers wearing something not that much different to that girl. Odd how standards change.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I don't think that makes you a bit posh. A bit stupid maybe.
    No need for that Kermit, stick to the topic.
    And it should also be applied fairly and consistently.

The girl could go in with her mum, but not with her friends? Why the inconsistency?

That's what I said in one of my posts :p you're replying to what I said, with something else I said? Or just a general remark? I agree with you, you can't have one rule sometimes and another at other times, it's completely unfair.
    The amusing thing is that I was at work today in a solicitor's chambers wearing something not that much different to that girl. Odd how standards change.

Perhaps a solicitors chambers panders to all sorts of people, whereas they are trying to attract the people with the most money in a shopping market..
  • Options
    No need for that Kermit, stick to the topic.

I quite agree, shame you beat me to my edit.
    I agree with you, you can't have one rule sometimes and another at other times, it's completely unfair.

Good. I thought you were arguing that she deserved it because of "the rules". Which you kind of were, really, at least you appreciate the need for consistency.
    Perhaps a solicitors chambers panders to all sorts of people, whereas they are trying to attract the people with the most money in a shopping market..

The stupid thing is that the goths probably have more money than a lot of adults. There's a reason why adolescent marketing is a growth area.

I was merely commenting how odd it is that working as a solcitor's clerk requires a lower dress sense than shopping in a horrible clone centre.
  • Options
    I may be a bit posh in this regard but I think if you're going out to a high street shopping centre then you should be dressed appropriately smart. Not OTT, but looking like marilyn manson is more something I'd expect to see at halloween, not everyday.

:eek2:

Why the hell do you need to look smart to go shopping on the high street? Money is money and with spending falling shops should just be thankful of a sale.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The stupid thing is that the goths probably have more money than a lot of adults. There's a reason why adolescent marketing is a growth area.

If that's the case then the guys who implemented this are going to be out of a job soon when sales revenue starts to fall :p. But so far, all indicators seem to point to an increase in sales.
    I was merely commenting how odd it is that working as a solcitor's clerk requires a lower dress sense than shopping in a horrible clone centre.

It's a very strange world... I'm not too keen on shopping centres and buy most things online, I only go to them when I go out with friends for the day to town. And even then, we tend to stick to high street shops or other shops than going in the Shires (which doesn't have much, except a small WH smiths (when there's a big one outside) and a place that does nice cookies! Oh, and a virgin too, but they have extortionate prices)/
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:
    :eek2:

Why the hell do you need to look smart to go shopping on the high street? Money is money and with spending falling shops should just be thankful of a sale.

True, it's just my personal opinion though. :chin:
  • Options
    But so far, all indicators seem to point to an increase in sales.

Depends where you look.

Sales are actually down in the market as a whole, and "bad debt" in the banks is up. Perhaps Bluewater shouldn't start turning down custom.
  • Options
    Can I ask how many of you have been to the Triangle in Manchester? Just a question really... I mean, I live in Manchester, I shop at the Triangle sometimes. I've never seen a security guy at the front (so maybe it's a new thing?) but it's full of pretentious shops with a very pretentious clientele. My opinion anyhow. Expensive shops like Ted Baker and Nicky Clarke and stuff.

And if I was refused access to a centre like that, the last thing I would do is run to The Mirror for a bit of cash out of it. I would just make a mental note not to spend any cash there again. I noted she came from Denton...
  • Options
    She ought to sue for discrimination

or use the rock of justice...but that might be going too far.
  • Options
    She ought to sue for discrimination

or use the rock of justice...but that might be going too far.

:shocking:

Would you sue for discrimination if you were turned away from a nightclub because you weren't dressed in a manner that pleased them?

I don't think turning her away is the issue here, more that the inconsistency in which it is applied, and the lack of information. They seem to just stop people on the door, when it is obviously a popular shopping area where people go to so why no warning of the new regulations to how people dress?
  • Options
    Surely a stupid and short sighted move, but businesses should be free to trade (or not trade) with whoever they please. Same for consumers of course…
  • Options
    So you think it would be OK if the only supermarket in a particular area refused to serve black people?
  • Options
    Yes I would. Freedom is more important than pigmentation. Do you think race matters? I know you're not bothered about freedom ;)
  • Options
    Yes I would. Freedom is more important than pigmentation. Do you think race matters? I know you're not bothered about freedom ;)

So you are for freedom on your own terms only? Yes, race matters when people are discriminated against on the colour of their skin, like in the scenario mentioned. You're for freedom only for people in a position of power. That ain't freedom.
  • Options
    No I'm for freedom for all Blagsta as I've said - you're obviously not in favour of freedom for shopkeepers or racists - I can understand why but I just won't limit freedom (yet strangely that's what you accuse me of).
  • Options
    No I'm for freedom for all Blagsta as I've said - you're obviously not in favour of freedom for shopkeepers or racists - I can understand why but I just won't limit freedom (yet strangely that's what you accuse me of).

Unlimited freedom for every individual?

Thats nice dear

:wave:
  • Options
    Right, someone explain to me who has the freedom. Goth girl wants to shop but shopkeeper doesn't want to let her in due to his predujices. Now surely she is losing her freedom because of the shopkeeper's freedom - so how on earth does the idea of unlimited freedom actually work?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    So you are for freedom on your own terms only? Yes, race matters when people are discriminated against on the colour of their skin, like in the scenario mentioned. You're for freedom only for people in a position of power. That ain't freedom.

You are free to not let a person into your house due to thier ethnicity because you own your house. Shopkeepers should be extended the same right.