Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

I despair at the human race sometimes...

Italian court says gay man can drive

ROME (Reuters) - A Sicilian court condemned road authorities on Monday for suspending the driving licence of a man after finding out he was gay.

The court on the Mediterranean island said being gay was merely "a personality disturbance" which had no bearing on a person's ability to drive, Ansa news agency reported.

The 23-year-old man, who was identified as Danilo G., got into trouble with the road licence authorities in the city of Catania after they discovered he had been exempted from military service because he was gay.

The authorities suspended his driving licence ahead of further checks on his "suitability" to take the wheel.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050606/80/fkist.html

Thank god for the sanity and tolerance of the Sicilian judicial system for recognising homosexuality is "merely a personality disturbance" that should not affect driving skills.

:rolleyes:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote:
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050606/80/fkist.html

Thank god for the sanity and tolerance of the Sicilian judicial system for recognising homosexuality is "merely a personality disturbance" that should not affect driving skills.

:rolleyes:

A name is spelt with a capital letter, Lamp Boy.
  • Options

Can anyone translate this for me? :confused:
  • Options
    thats shocking...it's like, "ok being homosexual will not affect your driving skills but btw, it's still wrong"
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Can anyone translate this for me? :confused:

Perhaps he thinks Aladdin should have used a capital 'G' for god? If that is what he means, then I've never seen a worse case of nit-picking.
  • Options

you talking in relation to god, does it have to be spelt with a capital letter? and if so, why the pedanticness
  • Options
    Have you ever seen Born Slippy make an intelligent comment?
  • Options
    Go lapdance on a minefield if you don't like it.
  • Options
    lol its a stupid forum
    anyways thats pretty funny. But then again it is Italy and Rome likes to decide the outcome of human lives by setting guidelines and one of them being anti-homosexual. In other words, a bunch of bible thumpers who can't realize gays are practically harmless and who cares what they do?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    thats shocking...it's like, "ok being homosexual will not affect your driving skills but btw, it's still wrong"
    Innit.

Such breathtaking ignorance and bigotry is truly astonishing. Can't believe such things can still happen in Europe today.
  • Options
    What? Continental Europe is one of the most xenophobic and intolerant places in the world, I dont know what you are so suprised at.
  • Options
    But gays are like women.

And women can't drive.

Innit.
  • Options
    tell me this is a wind up ...please.
  • Options
    tell me this is a wind up ...please.

nope it's very real...and i hear Welsh people are next on their list of hate!
  • Options
    What? Continental Europe is one of the most xenophobic and intolerant places in the world, I dont know what you are so suprised at

Projecting your ill informed ideological delusions on others again Mat? Seems you have no real experience of Continental Europe, nor the fact that there is no homogenous culture that one can simply call "Continental Europe" as you are wont to do.

FYI, Holland is perhaps the finest example of institutionalised tolerance on the planet. Belgium too is lightyears ahead of either the UK (with its tabloid regurgitating neanderthals like yourself) or my own US (with its jackboot, totalitarian funadmentalist conformists).

How strange to hear you suggesting that other people's intolerance is so distasteful when you are the very mouthpiece of intolerance yourself.

Might shock you to learn that upwards of 65% of civil servants working in the EU institutions are avowedly homosexual. Might give you some fuel for later posts on yet another reason to hate the EU (in demonstration of your own well recognised tolerance, of course!) ;)
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    But gays are like women.

And women can't drive.

Innit.
    Agreed... But at the same time they benefit to the capitalist economy by all the shopping they buy, in particular hair care products and shoes.

I never honestly knew that homosexuality made you incapable of driving... A personality disturbance? Like an illness?
  • Options
    Might shock you to learn that upwards of 65% of civil servants working in the EU institutions are avowedly homosexual.

um, could you give a source for that statistic?......
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    But gays are like women.

And women can't drive.

Innit.

Sexist pig.
  • Options
    Sexist pig.
    see kermit could be on to somehing here.
    ban women from driving ...no need for congestion charges ...
  • Options
    Projecting your ill informed ideological delusions on others again Mat? Seems you have no real experience of Continental Europe, nor the fact that there is no homogenous culture that one can simply call "Continental Europe" as you are wont to do.

Would this be the same continent where a racist bigot came 2nd in the French election? Or where the far right Austrian freedom party is in the political mainstream? Or perhaps the Netherlands where the Fortyn List party (far right) was stopped only by the murder of its leader?

No. 40 years of race relations laws in the UK have made it a far more welcoming place for ethnic minorities than the massive racism and bigotry that exist on the continent.
  • Options
    Sexist pig.
    How can a feminist hate women?
  • Options
    Nothing that I know of online at the moment sorry. This comes from discussions I have had with associates in the Commission and Parliament whom I know to be quite openly gay and members of Egalite, which serves the interests of gay and lesbian staffers in the EU institutions.

I can certainly ask if there are any online figures and get back to you on that though. Its hardly the main point I am addressing in my post however. More a matter of Mat's seeming hypocrisy calling other's intolerant when he himself routinely displays intolerance on almost any issue under discussion.
  • Options
    not sure about hate, but would they not particularly like Stepford wives?
  • Options
    Would this be the same continent where a racist bigot came 2nd in the French election? Or where the far right Austrian freedom party is in the political mainstream? Or perhaps the Netherlands where the Fortyn List party (far right) was stopped only by the murder of its leader?

No. 40 years of race relations laws in the UK have made it a far more welcoming place for ethnic minorities than the massive racism and bigotry that exist on the continent.

Holland = Theo Van Gogh....

And btw, I CAN DRIVE! Just got a compliment on my parking today :)
  • Options

Hmm, far right candidates whose views would echo all the very similar intolerances you have routinely spouted on these boards, perchance? How much further will you carry your hypocrisy Mat?

Be that as it may, you have listed three countries (and one - Holland again - in which fortyn's party would not have been the governing party by any stretch regardless of its leader's ill fortune) out of 25. Hardly indicative of this homogenous delusion you wish to subscribe to to avoid confronting the reality of your own bigotry.

No, dear boy, I think you are again conflating your delusions with the spun claims of the Daily Hate Mail rather than any verifiable data on the situation of immigrants to differing EU countries.

Address your own clear deep seated hatred and bigotry first and stop projecting on societies of whom you obviously know absolutely nothing.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aladdin wrote:
    Go lapdance on a minefield if you don't like it.

Owned.

Any what the fuck? Oh well. Seems like people are being arses again.

What if it came to light Michael Schumacher was gay? Is that how you spell his name?

Gayness in no way affect driving ability. Except if you are one of those annoying twats who puts on make-up in the mirror whilst driving.

God with or without a capital? No one cares. Perhaps he isn't a religious perfectionist? Perhaps in the context as a saying it is not refering to "God" as such but just an exasperated statement?

Either way, no one cares.
  • Options
    Now now Jacq, let us not feed mat's little ideological delusions by suggesting that the murder of one man is indicative of some institutionalised intolerance by all of Dutch society. That's stretching matters to the point of absurdity.

Van Gogh was murdered by one man's intolerance translated into criminal action, just one can countless examples of in any country in the world. Shall we examine more idicative cases of the sort of institutionalised xenophobia and racism by the UK MET for which Mat would like to condemn his homogenous "continental" boogeyman?
  • Options
    It was made pretty clear that the whole incident polarised the Dutch society and put an emphasis about problems integrating immigrants in Holland.
    Oh, and it is said that Theo Van Gogh was himself racist to the bone, and not just "critical" of Islam.
  • Options
    To add a note further on success of Le Pen in the first round of the last French election; if you had any actual intellectually honest understanding of the situation, Mat, you would know that it was due more to the apathy of most moderate and liberal French voters who simply didnt bother to turn out in the first round than some widespread subscription by the French public to his ideas.

That in itself did more to demonstrate the risk when too great a percentage of any democratic society, our own notwithstanding, disregards its civic duty to maintain active participation in their nation's governance. Actual adherents to Le Pen and his message in France remains a minority, however vocal they may be.
  • Options
    Sexist pig.

I thought he was a frog? :confused:
  • Options
    It might have polarised Dutch society Jacq, but youll still find the majority of the public as well the institutionalised tolerance of its laws and principles of governance to be quite open and accepting of diversity.

"Polarised" is a far cry from Mat's suggestion of "homogenised".