Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

"Pay as you Go" road use

The Government have suggested that as a way to curb congestion, they may well consider bringing in PAYG road use, instead of a fuel duty. If you drive on congested roads you will pay a lot, if you drive on quiet rural roads you won't.

Story.

I personally think it is a stupid idea, for the reasons that this article spells out. It wouldn't sufficiently penalise gaz-guzzling cars, it would punish the urban poor, it would destroy city centres, it would make congestion more prolonged, and the "Big Brother" idea of tracking movements is something that scares me deeply.

10/10 for trying, 0/10 for thinking it through first.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Excellent.

Rip out the black box (which by the way will be able to tell if you are speeding or not) and voila! no more road tax.

It's got fuck all to do with the environment and everything to do with screwing you lot over for a few more quid.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Excellent.

Rip out the black box (which by the way will be able to tell if you are speeding or not) and voila! no more road tax.

It's got fuck all to do with the environment and everything to do with screwing you lot over for a few more quid.

... and keeping tabs on where you go to. Doubtless they'll try and work it so that it can also tell every time you speed, commit a parking offence etc, and then they can send you an automatic fine.

I think this is a ridiculous idea. The car lobby won't much like it either - and in this instance they'll be absolutely right. Looking forward to mass non-compliance if this is ever put into practice, which I doubt it will be.
  • Options
    If we had an excellent public transport system to fall back on (outside of London) then it may just work but because we don't...........
    10/10 for trying, 0/10 for thinking it through first.
    :yes:
  • Options
    Ridiculous. It will only affect the urban poor, as above.

And it will destroy our native tourism.

We want alternatives to oil, not alternatives to the car.
  • Options
    I read a couple of years ago that 80% of work commuters who use cars, travel less than 2 miles to reach work.

Therefore my verdict is that you should pay one flatrate cost per journey. All journeys should cost £3 - long or short. So if it's from Shropshire to Devon (which is about 190 miles), that will be well worth it for £3 + petrol. If you travel from door to desk, the £3 should disencourage you from using the car.

Yes, cars are great for longer journeys, but much too depended on for short journeys.

I live on a very busy road. When I walk out of my house, I have to cross the road to get to the other side. It's pretty difficult. I have to wait for about 8 cars until I see an opening. As I doing this in the rush hour, I think to myself "how many of these people are travelling less than 2 miles as per above statement?"
  • Options
    It's an incredibly poorly thought out idea that - not surprisingly - was made very little of pre-election.

Such schemes do not solve the traffic problem, they simply move it from a place where it is more suited - ie motorways - to places where it is less suited such as city routes.

It wouldn't reduce road usage, because there is no alternative in place, it simply penalises those who have to use the roads.

Of course, it's fine for Londoners who have already abandoned the cars and use the tube for most of their travel, or for the uber-rich who wouldn't notice the charges, everyone else is left in the shit. Super.
  • Options
    Maybe this could be for Labour what the poll tax was to the Conservatives. If the government goes ahead with these new plans I think the next election will be very close and I don't think I'd be surprised if Labour even lost...

As has been said it would hurt the poor, harm city centres badly and hurt businesses in the centre as the congestion charge has done according to some.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Get rid of road tax and bump up the fuel tax.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Stupidest idea ever. Its like Road Tax 2.

That'd be like having VAT twice on any shop product. It'll only make people poorer, they still need to use the bloody road.

They would be better just leaving the system as it is, or abolishing road tax and having a toll system like on the continent.

:no:. Bad idea.
  • Options
    Personally, in the future I want to see less cars and more public transport, and something like this should be in place at some point - so that all motorised transport is monitored. However, I don't think we're quite there yet. If I wanted to travel to London from Leicester by car it would be far simpler, by rail or bus it's expensive or complicated (well, harder than getting in a car and following the signs :p).

If there was an integrated system of public transport (so you go into a booth, select your destination, and it tells you what buses / trains / planes there are etc. etc., prints off your tickets) that was heavily improved upon todays so it was no less convenient than driving, then I would be all for this idea.

As it stands, people do need to use their cars, and put simply, the alternatives aren't as good!
  • Options
    Is it even strictly morally correct to monitor somebodys movements?
  • Options
    it's a daft idea, the reason people don't give up their cars, is because it's not viable to use public transport. it takes 2 1/2 hrs from my home town to uni town, 3/4 hrs on the train if I go through london and easily 4/5 if I don't. It costs twice as much to go through london as well.
  • Options
    Is it even strictly morally correct to monitor somebodys movements?

I don't think so, unless you have good cause (i.e. a criminal on probation). However, I think monitoring vehicles is slightly different, I'm not sure why, I can just justify it to myself - same with mobile phones. I think associating personal ifnormation with the tracking is dangerous though - but a car might be driven by more than one person.

That's why I look toward a time :p when we have a brilliant public transport system. You want to go to America? Just hop on the closest shuttle bus and follow the personalised instructions! I really think it will happen one day. I think personal cars are uneconomical, the average car has 1 and a bit people in it. Whereas if you got 10 of those cars going to the same place and put them on a bus, brilliant! Save on car park space too :p
  • Options
    A car MIGHT be used by just one person but that isn't nesscesarily true. It is a direct infringement on privacy. The difference between mobile phones and cars is the precision that would be required to monitor a car.
  • Options
    The suggested amounts are far too much anyway. £1 per mile (and sometimes more)? Completely out of proportion. So visiting relatives/ going for a weekend break/ whatever would cost you £300+ for a round trip, if you happen to travel just 150 miles.

Fuel duty is actually fairer- but having said that heavy discounts should be provided for haulers and other jobs where vehicle use is vital.

Much if not most of the bulk of traffic is created by commuters and the school run. That is the kind of traffic we ought to try to reduce as much as possible.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Aladdin wrote:
    Fuel duty is actually fairer

:yes:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Aye, hauliers would go out of business.. they usually use motorways and also travel 24 hours a day meaning that they would undoubtedly use the roads a peak time.. that means the higher charges...

Is it practical to fit 20-odd million black-boxes??

Will it not mean that people will use country/rural roads more - merely shifting the congestion?
  • Options
    why not just remove road tax and put the duty up on petrol then it will be pay as you go and those with more efficent engines pay less too - very simple very effective is making it pay as you go
  • Options
    I don't think putting road hauliers out of business would be such a bad thing, tbh. Road haulage is only justifiable where there is no train line to that town, especially given the greater use of Freightliner trains where you just reverse the lorry trailer onto the train and collect it again in Glasgow or wherever.
  • Options
    Just upping the fuel tax to even higher would create a black market.

What the country needs is cheaper alternatives to the car, not more expensive car use.
  • Options
    We need expensive car use because the full costs of using a car and different types of cars/vans/lorrys etc are not properly taken into account when charging tax on fuel and road use. This is why i'd support toll roads or the privatisation of large motorways.

I don't see why they dont marginally diminish the charge per mile. As somene said something like 80% of all car journeys are under 2 miles so they should charge extortionatly for the first mile, a little bit less for the second, less for third and alot less for subsequent miles etc so people driving long journeys aren't penalised so badly. Also they should exclude haulage companys completely.

Of course this system is retarded but it looks like the government will get it's way.
  • Options
    i currently do around 500 miles a week ...and they want to charge me a pound a mile on top of my road tax and fuel tax!
    i'm already paying shit loads of tax to use the friggin roads thankyou.
    as someone said ...it's alternative fuels we should be looking at.
    as for monitoring everyones movements as if they are criminals ...thats outragous but ...more and more people seem to think that having no privacy is perfectly ok!
    how did that come about?>
  • Options
    The only thing I would say is that these new measures are not so much because of climate change but because of one more simple, yet urgent issue: there are too many cars in this country, and if nothing is done there will be traffic jams pretty much 24 hours a day, in all our roads, within two decades or so.

However taxing people to death without offering an alternative mode of transportation is not going to solve anything. In any case, it's not the long-distance travellers that cause the most traffic.

Perhaps Congestion Charge is the way forward. Perhaps any mum insisting on driving her three-tonne 4 x 4 to take his child 2.5 miles to school instead of using public transport (or walking, which by all means children in this country are in desperate need of) should be made to pay £20, £30 a day for the privilege.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    if nothing is done there will be traffic jams pretty much 24 hours a day, in all our roads, within two decades or so.

It wont though will it, why would anyone bother? If traffic gets really bad people wont bother.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Just upping the fuel tax to even higher would create a black market.

What the country needs is cheaper alternatives to the car, not more expensive car use.

I agree, in my opinion the car will be outdated sooner or later. Private transport will die out.
    why not just remove road tax and put the duty up on petrol then it will be pay as you go and those with more efficent engines pay less too - very simple very effective is making it pay as you go

The issue I have with this is what about those who need a car. This also targets people who aren't earning as much and really we shouldn't be putting extra financial burden on them. We don't want a two tier society where rich people drive and poor peope take buses (I know that's the way it is, but it's not good for the country).

What do you do with disabled people who drive? They can't easily just say 'petrol is more expensive now, so I'll walk'. They will just be inconvenienced. Fuel duty is a nice idea in theory but it's too broad brush and effects everyone whereas it is the case that some people make more worthwhile journeys than others. (ambulance vs. healthy middle aged man driving to the local shop to get the newspaper, for example)

I actually had a small lecture on this subject exactly from a proffessor of economics who had been commisioned by the government to research into it. The bottom line from him was it was a good idea because then it's fairer for everyone. But me and my economics teacher discuessed afterwards and both agreed that there is not the public transport infrastructure to support the change from cars to public transport.

My view, as before, is that it's a good idea but we're not ready for it :p. Perhaps it's a bit like communism in that sense, it just wouldn't work.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:
    I don't see why they dont marginally diminish the charge per mile. As somene said something like 80% of all car journeys are under 2 miles so they should charge extortionatly for the first mile, a little bit less for the second, less for third and alot less for subsequent miles etc so people driving long journeys aren't penalised so badly. Also they should exclude haulage companys completely.

Of course this system is retarded but it looks like the government will get it's way.

the problem is you really a need a simple system otherwise it costs loads to stop fraudsters

theres omly problems with duty free fuel in northern ireland as theyre on the border with another country

my suggestion for upping fuel duty and removing road tax is there if you people want a pay as you use service

people who use the "we need better alternatives first" know that wont come about cause improvement will take decades to see and to improve public transport outside of london is the key, especially bus services, which are best for town to town journeys but i will not use when im out of london as theres so few routes and so few per day

in london you can live on bus and tube and its affordable even if prices are rising sharply at moment to 'fund improvements' ie ppp profits
  • Options
    I am 'urban poor' if anyone is and I wouldn't suffer from this legislation. More knee-jerk class war bullshit...?

If they're poor they can't afford unnecessary luxuries like cars.
  • Options
    I am 'urban poor' if anyone is and I wouldn't suffer from this legislation. More knee-jerk class war bullshit...?

If they're poor they can't afford unnecessary luxuries like cars.

you expect them to go to work right? and its relatively poor and in many cases a car is a necessity, even if lots of journeys are pointless

on the proposals themselves its compelte crap and designed to pander to the country areas

if you want pay as you go usage, you make the tax on the fuel which encourages people to buy more efficient cars or mopeds etc

persoanlyl i prefer a mix of this and flat rate like road tax is but heavily in favour of cars thast are deemed to be really efficient
  • Options
    I would prefer that the word poor wasn't used to describe people with a material wealth most people around the world today and throughout history could only dream of!

I'd also like to drive my car as much as I like without government nannying.
  • Options
    I would prefer that the word poor wasn't used to describe people with a material wealth most people around the world today and throughout history could only dream of!

I'd also like to drive my car as much as I like without government nannying.
    people in the west may well be rich when compared with the third world but ...when it is almost impossible to afford to live in the west then they are rightly considered poor.
    a car for many people is the only thing that enables them to work.
    it is not a luxury but an essential tool.