Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Jobseekers and Holidays?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    quite frankly, it's none of your fucking business!

i disagree. i think it is his business. since he is paying his tax money so you can spend your benefits on:
    crap like clothes and shoes and ebay

if you had a valid reason for not being able to work then i would have no problem at all. please don't take the piss with this social anxiety business. i know people with that, and you'd be fucked if you'd be getting them anywhere near a plane, let alone a foreign country.
    Oh and for your information 'data entry clerks' don't have Carpel Tunnel Syndrome do they?? No.

generally neither do people who manage well enough to sit on the internet typing all day.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    if you had a valid reason for not being able to work then i would have no problem at all. please don't take the piss with this social anxiety business. i know people with that, and you'd be fucked if you'd be getting them anywhere near a plane, let alone a foreign country.

Jeez, I'm impressed by your all encompassing knowledge of the "social anxiety business" - have you had training in it?

Does it always manifest itself in exactly the same form?

Is it easy to dignose the exact symptons online?

:confused:

On the whole though, I have to say your advice worker skills are wanting too.

One of the qualities sought is the ability to be non-judgemental.
  • Options
    If you are disabled or incapacitated then you should be on disability benefit or Incapacity Benefit. If you were on those then I wouldn't label you lazy, because you would have a bona fide reason for not working.

Point is, you're not on them. You say you're able to work in a "small" shop but not in a big one. Well that doesn't mean that you're incapable of working, it means you would prefer to sit on your bottom on the internet until you find a job that you would deign to lower yourself to. If you are well enough to work in one place you are well enough to work in any place in the same field, so stop trying to claim that you can't get a job because of your social anxiety.

And I don't think I'm being unfair in being skeptical about your carpal tunnel syndrome if you are capable enough to sit at a computer and type long messages about why you're not being lazy. If you can sit on TheSite and type, you can get a job and type and stop sitting on your arse living off my hard-earned wedge.

I don' think I am being unfair, though I shouldn't swear so much. If you're genuinely incapable of working then fair dos, you should get all the help you need, but in reality I rather suspect that you are too lazy, not too incapable, to find work. And if you are too lazy to find work then it is my business, because I have been at work since 8am to pay for your "crap and shoes and ebay". Don't forget that, it's not magic money, it's my money.
  • Options
    something contrary

i'd value your points if (a) you were any more than a troll, albeit comparitively well-spoken or (b) you appeared to have read any of Ilora's previous posts.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    If you actually read any of my posts in this thread you'll see that there are some circumstances in which a person is not ABLE to just 'get a job'. For some people it's not as easy as walking into a place and being offered a job on the spot.

Yes, there are situations people are not able to get a job. However, you don't seem to have given us any valid reasons why you don't have a job which is why people have "jumped to conclusions" and gotten extremely pissed off.

For a start, I have never been employed before, due to wanting to concentrate on my A-Levels, and have therefore no experience in employment - this also makes it difficult to get a job because most employers want people with SOME experience.

You don't need any experience to work in a shop, to clean, to do data entry ... the list goes on. I didn't have any experience working in a shop but still managed to get a job doing it. So this argument is shit.
    I also suffer with social anxiety and may also be diagnosed with ADD - Which, when diagnosed, would be registered as a disability. This also presents difficulties in employment.

If these were *serious* issues to contend with you would not be on JSA but on Incapacity Allowance or whatever it is called.
    I am not a 'sponger' and do my fair share to actually get a job. I have been to over 10 job interviews since Oct last year when my degree at uni fell through, only I have been unlucky enough to choose places that either want experienced staff, or don't even get back to me after receiving my CV. I have been to interviews and told that I was 'unsuccessful in my application' so many times before.

Jeez. Ten job interviews since October. Don't overdo it, like. I have been to more than that since January and still didn't get my ideal job so I had to look elsewhere. If you keep being told that you are unsuccessful then maybe you should try jobs that are more junior to those you have been trying for. These jobs *do* exist.

Although, this doesn't seem to stop me, because I have applied for 2 jobs this week.[/quote

Good.
    I don't know where you get your ideas from, but you certainly need to open your eyes and your mind and stop judging people before you know their circumstances.

Then tell us why you can't work because you ain't given us good reasons to.
    Whatever happened to 'each to their own'????? Ilora x

But it isn't your own though, is it? It is our money as we are the taxpayers.

I have returned home from a shit job because I can't get the job I would like (and also note - am qualified for) You are squandering my tax because you "can't find a job". Well, you can. Anyone can. Life ain't a walk in the park. You need to start at the bottom. Obviously you are being a bit too picky about what you want to do. Which you shouldn't be.

This has pissed me off hugely.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    i'd value your points if (a) you were any more than a troll, albeit comparitively well-spoken or (b) you appeared to have read any of Ilora's previous posts.

Aah, I understand - you think that if you know something about someone, then it's alright to be judgemental ........

It is out of order to use a simple request for information as a launchpad to attack someone .............. and its considerably worse when its a whole bunch of people who seem to consider themselves the "in crowd" around here ......

:eek2:
  • Options
    Aah, I understand - you think that if you know something about someone, then it's alright to be judgemental ...

Remind me, who started the personal attack in the "Arbeit Mach Frei" thread?
  • Options
    I've been claiming job seekers allowance now for a couple of months and I'm going on one weeks holiday to Greece. I was told by one advisor in the jobcentre, that all I do is lose one week JSA because I'm out of the country and thus unavailable for work.

Now, at my last signing on, I queried this with another advisor and was told that I'd have to sign off and then sign on when I come back - this would include going through the whole interviewing process that I had to do to start JSA which took over 3 weeks....

I can't see that one contradicts the other.

If you sign off, then sign back on when you returned then you would only lose the one week when you were away from the country...
  • Options
    Remind me, who started the personal attack in the "Arbeit Mach Frei" thread?
    Ah, Man of Kent, I could kiss you :D
  • Options
    You don't know where he's been :eek:
  • Options

AFAIK the other thread wasn't a simple request for advice - it was in the P+D forum, and the idea for came it from your posts, which is why I credited you for it.

It wasn't however meant to be a personal attack - although it did quote some of your posts. It is an attempt to explore the idea that people should take the first shitty job that they can get ........ which is what I believe you said, and so far I have seen nothing that contradicts that belief.

If that thread made you uncomfortable however, then maybe you could reflect on how Ilora feels about this thread - where she has been personally attacked by a number of posters.

Your post aimed at me was a personal attack - as were Kermit's posts.

So, if it had been meant as a personal attack, I wouldn't be feeling guilty.

And while I'm on this thread - when I posted my advice, it came from the DMG, which is the Guide that Benefits Agency Staff use when they make decisions.
  • Options
    I haven't been made uncomfortable - in fact, I am entertained. MOK's comment merely tickled me, that's all :)
  • Options
    fucking hell theres some scary people out there!
    it's a few quid ...it's money that is employing some of you for fucks sake ...
  • Options

You've only been married a few weeks. Get a hold on yourself girl :impissed:

Of course, if things are that bad already... :naughty:

Seriously, just doing my civic duty. It appear that I may be on his "ignore list" though. Guess I question his perspective too often and too closely. Oh well...
  • Options
    fucking hell theres some scary people out there!
    it's a few quid

No sense of the bigger picture at all then hmm? Of course it is a few quid for one person, shame there's not just one person using it though...
    ...it's money that is employing some of you for fucks sake ...

I've no idea what that means.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    I've no idea what that means.

I think he means that this money is being used to buy clothes/food etc. This then goes to wages for the producer/vendor (which could be you), who then spends its elsewhere (which could be you)...

It's the cycle of money through the system...
  • Options
    I think he means that this money is being used to buy clothes/food etc. This then goes to wages for the producer/vendor (which could be you), who then spends its elsewhere (which could be you)...

It's the cycle of money through the system...

Although this is true, the argument against it would be that with a job, the person would still be getting money to spend in the cycle, and less people would be outraged by the having money to spend on "crap like clothes and shoes and ebay" as it would be money earned, not money handed over on JSA which is funded by the taxpayer.
  • Options
    Not only that, but people would prefer to have the choice of putting that money into the economy themselves instead of having it taken away in a larger tax bill to be spent on "crap like clothes and shoes and ebay" by others.
  • Options
    Not only that, but people would prefer to have the choice of putting that money into the economy themselves instead of having it taken away in a larger tax bill to be spent on "crap like clothes and shoes and ebay" by others.

Where do you think that money comes from that gets paid in wages?

It gets invented by the banks. You lose out either way. If the total amount of money goes up by someone's wages every week, inflation takes that value off everyone else anyway, so in fact you lose less of value by having people on JSA than having them working.

Add in the cost of profit, and subtract the actual value of whatever they produce to get the net benefit to "the economy". Basically if you are working in anything that doesn't physically produce goods you might as well be on the dole from an economic point of view.

(I know, I know you do valuably social stuff etc, but this is from a purely economic pov)
  • Options
    The job centre will take a weeks money from you, yes. It's a bit tricky to explain to someone who has no real knowledge of any type of anxiety disorders about how you feel and what you can and can't do. Alot of he time people will say "well if you can do that then why can't you do this?". I think it's hard for them to get their head round the way it effect's you. If you tell the people at the dole that you have a social phobia and you cannot do certain jobs because of this then they may be able to help you.

You should say to them that even though your out of the country you still have access to the Internet for the whole week and you can still check for jobs via the net and apply for them either by emailing them or by phone which you can then arrange for an interview after you get back. See what they say, might work.

Failing that get your GP to write them a letter so they can actually try and understand how you feel and see what happens from there.
  • Options
    The job centre will take a weeks money from you, yes. It's a bit tricky to explain to someone who has no real knowledge of any type of anxiety disorders about how you feel and what you can and can't do. Alot of he time people will say "well if you can do that then why can't you do this?". I think it's hard for them to get their head round the way it effect's you. If you tell the people at the dole that you have a social phobia and you cannot do certain jobs because of this then they may be able to help you.
    Finally, someone who knows what social anxiety actually is. "well if you can do that then why can't you do this?" - my sister asks me that all the time, and still I can't explain it, only someone with real knowledge of SAD will know how it effects my life.

To whoever asked me the question of why I don't claim Incapacity Benefit or Disability Living Allowance, is because I'm not a 'registered disabled'. I also don't want to be relying on benefits for the rest of my life.

Me going on JSA was and still is a temporary situation, and I'm claiming what I'm entitled to according to the law; I'm over 18 and actively seeking employment therefore entitled to claim £44 a week until I find employment.
    What I do with my benefits is entirely at my discretion and I won't have anybody telling me how to spend it.

Anyway, to (hopefully) end this horrible thread I should never have bothered to start, I signed off today. So, you angry little people will be pleased to know that I won't be receiving my 44 pounds this week, so maybe you'll be a little bit less angry. (I doubt that somehow).

So, yes I'm signed off for a week, and when I come back from Greece, I can do a rapid re-claim, which will be back dated to when I make my initial re-claim. I don't have to go through the whole interview process again, I was apparently mis-informed by one of the Job Centre's so called advisors!

Thankyou and goodbye. I'll be thinking about you all when I'm lying on my sunbed with an ice cold Frappé, on a hot and lazy day by the pool. Ta Ta, for now. Ilora x
  • Options
    Finally, someone who knows what social anxiety actually is. "well if you can do that then why can't you do this?" - my sister asks me that all the time, and still I can't explain it, only someone with real knowledge of SAD will know how it effects my life.

just two quick points from someone who knows what social anxiety actually is:

1. if an anxiety disorder is sufficiently severe as to prevent you from working, you can claim illness-related benefits. this is infinitely better than being on jobseekers if you are not actually intending to seek a job.

2. the recommended treatment for social anxiety is CBT. and the generally accepted method of therapy for a specific anxiety is exposure therapy. i.e. doing the thing that scares you. i.e. getting a job.
  • Options
    Have a good holiday :)
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    being on jobseekers if you are not actually intending to seek a job.
    Where in any of my posts have I said that I'm not seeking a job? I am actively seeking a job, and have applied for 2 this week, I'm awaiting interviews.

If I wasn't actively seeking work, I wouldn't be on Job Seekers.

Ilora x
  • Options
    I've been on jobseekers and it is not easy. Yes there are jobs out there, but some of them, such as bar jobs, finish late in the night when there is no safe way of getting home. Others are so difficult to get to that you would spend half of your wages on train fares. You don't have to just take any job.

Good luck with finding something.
  • Options
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    In terms of Job seekers and holiday I think we've established that as long as you are honest about your intentions and make alternative arrangements with the Job centre for signing on for JSA then you should be ok. The sooner you speak to them the better.

On that note - any further discussions about welfare should be taken to the P&D boards and to avoid this turning into any more of a slanging match I shall now close this thread.

:wave:
This discussion has been closed.