Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Jobseekers and Holidays?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I can't book my holiday for any other times, flights to this particular greek island are thursday to thursday, and I'm going to a wedding - so it's not like I can rearrange that!!

And I had to mention it to them, because I'll miss a signing on, and they'll want to know where I've been - I'm playing by the rules, I thought that's what we're meant to do. I'm being paid to look for a job, and when I'm out of the country I'm not exactly available to work, therefore cannot claim jsa.

Ilora x
  • Options
    do u sign on weekly then. i used to do it fortnightly.
    tell them youre looking for work abroad too.
  • Options
    Hehe yeah like they'd believe that! hehe.

I'm signing on weekly atm, because I've been on job seekers for a couple of months, before it was fortnightly.

Ilora x
  • Options
    dont know what to suggest then sorry.
    just do it the official way or get a job but tell them youve got prebooked holiday - they should honour that. The longer youve been on JSA for whatever reason, the harder it will be to get a job in the long run. Employers dont like it.
  • Options
    How do employers know?

Ilora x
  • Options
    because you have to explain away the gaps in your employment history.
    Ive been there.
    You might be ok, because you can tell them about your courses, and just pretend they were more full time than they actually were. I know I made loads of stuff up.
  • Options
    enjoy your holliday.
    just think where that few miserable quid you take off the tax payer actualy goes ...it goes to people who own shops and stuff.
    it moves money around the system creating wealth and jobs.
    for fucks sake don't start feeling guilty for spreading a bit of wealth ...
    Strangely, I find myself very sympathetic to this. In effect, by taking a holiday, money is being put into the economy. Not a bad thing at all. Hmm, infact, I rather agree. Enjoy your holiday, let them know you'll be away for a little while, then carry on your jobsearch. Interesting... the wisdom of Morrocan Roll has had its effect once more.
  • Options
    Sign off, get yourself a job. Any job will do, it has to be better than being on Job Seekers. If you say you have not had a job for a couple of months you are obviously not working hard enough to find one. I lost my job 12 days ago, and worked my backside off to find another one. I start next week and it is not a shop based job but a good career job. Jobs are always available, try recruitment agencies, contact companies directly, just do not be a scrounger and take benefits.
  • Options
    ginge86 wrote:
    (1) If you say you have not had a job for a couple of months you are obviously not working hard enough to find one. (2) I start [a new job] next week and it is not a shop based job but a good career job. Jobs are always available, try recruitment agencies, contact companies directly... (3) just do not be a scrounger and take benefits.
    I really must challenge you on these points.
    (1) Oh yes? What about those who have had long-term injuries? What about those who were in education for that time? Are you saying THEY aren't working hard enough to find one?
    (2) Let me get this straight... are you saying working in a shop isn't really a proper job at all? Isn't that rather insulting to the millions who work in shops in the service sector of this country?
    (3) Are you saying that everyone who takes benefits is a sponger?
  • Options
    I would like to reply to your comments!

I believe that 99% of people on benefits are 'spongers', of course there are certain exepmtions from this and I did state that I had a career occupation rather than just a job. I was simply stating that if you work hard enough you can find a job with good prospects.
  • Options
    ginge86 wrote:
    I would like to reply to your comments!

I believe that 99% of people on benefits are 'spongers', of course there are certain exepmtions from this and I did state that I had a career occupation rather than just a job. I was simply stating that if you work hard enough you can find a job with good prospects.
    (1) Who are the exceptions to the apparent rule that 99% of those on benefits are spongers?
    (2) What's wrong with having a job, not a career? Aren't both something to welcome and not denigrate?
    (3) Really? Ever tried coming to North Wales? Or up in Scotland? Or Northern England? Or one of the many areas of the UK where the economy isn't doing as well as the figures would have you believe? Has no one told you that outside of South East England and London that the UK isn't in tip-top condition?
  • Options
    I think that after thorough investigation the exceptions should be people claiming allowances concerning disability.

People should have some drive in them, Im sure that most people would prefer to have a career rather than working for min wage.

Considering I used to live in Scotland until recently I know what it is like, and I still disagree with you. I might live in an affluent suberb now, but I have seen both sides, and anyone with some self respect would rather try hard and get a job than sign on
  • Options
    ginge86 wrote:

Who would that leave to clean? If we all had a profession who would clean the public toilets, serve you in shops, drive taxis, wait on you in restaurants? You aren't seeing the bigger picture are you?
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:
    Who would that leave to clean? If we all had a profession who would clean the public toilets, serve you in shops, drive taxis, wait on you in restaurants? You aren't seeing the bigger picture are you?
    It's brilliant, isn't it? If some people had their way, hospitals would be staffed entirely by management consultants and no doctors or nurses! Such is the warped way some view the world.
  • Options
    From the Decision Makers Guide

Volume 4 - Chaper 20: (Page 118 of the PDF)
    Tracy has been regularly going to Littlehampton JC on Tuesdays to sign declarations as she was told by a notification (ES40). She tells the JC that she will be on holiday the next time she is due to attend. Form ES 674 is completed and is noted with the date that she is to attend following her return home.
    On her return from holiday Tracy does not turn up and makes no contact with the JC. Tracy‘s entitlement to JSA will end because
    1. she has failed to attend at the place mentioned in a notification and
    2. the notification did not tell her to attend an employment programme or training scheme and
    3. she does not show good cause.

Sooo, it looks like you have to there, fill in Form ES 674, agree the next date that you will sign on, and make that date.

Oh yes, and then you should have a great holiday.

:)
  • Options
    ginge86 wrote:
    Sign off, get yourself a job. Any job will do, it has to be better than being on Job Seekers. If you say you have not had a job for a couple of months you are obviously not working hard enough to find one. I lost my job 12 days ago, and worked my backside off to find another one. I start next week and it is not a shop based job but a good career job. Jobs are always available, try recruitment agencies, contact companies directly, just do not be a scrounger and take benefits.
    Jesus christ, and I thought I wouldn't find someone who was more pretentious than myself - I guess I was wrong.
    Get your head from up your arse and look at the bigger picture for God's sake.

If you actually read any of my posts in this thread you'll see that there are some circumstances in which a person is not ABLE to just 'get a job'. For some people it's not as easy as walking into a place and being offered a job on the spot.

For a start, I have never been employed before, due to wanting to concentrate on my A-Levels, and have therefore no experience in employment - this also makes it difficult to get a job because most employers want people with SOME experience.

I also suffer with social anxiety and may also be diagnosed with ADD - Which, when diagnosed, would be registered as a disability. This also presents difficulties in employment.

I am not a 'sponger' and do my fair share to actually get a job. I have been to over 10 job interviews since Oct last year when my degree at uni fell through, only I have been unlucky enough to choose places that either want experienced staff, or don't even get back to me after receiving my CV. I have been to interviews and told that I was 'unsuccessful in my application' so many times before. Although, this doesn't seem to stop me, because I have applied for 2 jobs this week.

I don't know where you get your ideas from, but you certainly need to open your eyes and your mind and stop judging people before you know their circumstances.

Whatever happened to 'each to their own'????? Ilora x
  • Options
    Thanks Morrocan Roll.

And that's true... most of my jsa is spent on crap like clothes and shoes and ebay, so I'm actually putting my sponging back into the economy... you should be grateful :lol::naughty: Yes, I'm joking...

Ilora x

I'm so glad to here that your spending my hard earned tax on a load of crap - how great - I work full time and cant' even afford to buy new clothes unless its really necessary. Since the beginning of this year i've bought two tops and a pair of jeans - i simply cannot afford to buy anything else.......

I too didn't work till i left school but i still managed to get a job.

Have you been to see any agencies??? lots of places don't even bother advertising for jobs they will just use and agency insted............
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    I'm so glad to here that your spending my hard earned tax on a load of crap - how great - I work full time and cant' even afford to buy new clothes unless its really necessary. Since the beginning of this year i've bought two tops and a pair of jeans - i simply cannot afford to buy anything else.......

I too didn't work till i left school but i still managed to get a job.

Have you been to see any agencies??? lots of places don't even bother advertising for jobs they will just use and agency insted............

Hurrah!!!

Has it ever occurred to you that making you work hard and then not paying you enough to clothe yourself adequately is:

a) exploitation

and

b) Not the posters fault?

Furthermore, if the poster was to get a job, exactly what difference would in make to you?

The poster requested advice about how to sort out her benefits whilst she goes to a wedding .... the question has been answered.

And there are at least 2 threads looking at the issues of "dependency culture" and "welfare reform" in P+D - why don't you take your irrational and misplaced anger over there?

:nervous:
  • Options
    i really dont think anyone has a excuse for not being able to get a job these days, as has been said before, try job agencies. they find you a job within days, sometimes without even an interview.
    and as a tax payer myself, people who refuse to work make my blood boil! disabled is a different story, at least they have a genuine issue that keeps them from working, but even thats not all of em. there are plenty of disabled people who work.

i think if you are gonna blame social anxiety on not getting a job, then i really think you need councilling etc..not just sit counting your JSA money.

and every job doesnt require experience, and i dont care whereabouts you live, theres always work for those who want it!
  • Options
    Hurrah!!!

Has it ever occurred to you that making you work hard and then not paying you enough to clothe yourself adequately is:

a) exploitation

and

Furthermore, if the poster was to get a job, exactly what difference would in make to you?

The poster requested advice about how to sort out her benefits whilst she goes to a wedding .... the question has been answered.

And there are at least 2 threads looking at the issues of "dependency culture" and "welfare reform" in P+D - why don't you take your irrational and misplaced anger over there?

:nervous:

I earn loads more than the minimum wage - I have out goings as well - there are people who bring up whole families on less than i earn.

JSA isn't supposed to be pocket money for people to spend on clothes and shoes, its supposed to be used by people who are in REAL need to cover them whilst they search for a job to pay for things like food, electricity etc.

If Ilora and others like her got jobs then maybe my tax bill would go down.
  • Options
    Hurrah!!!

a) exploitation

and

Oh, please.

It probably wouldn't make any difference to anyone else in employment, if the poster in question were to get a job. The point you so clearly missed is that a lot of people find themselves in situations where they are literally working to live, and have no expendable income. This might be because they live in an area where rent is high in comparison to wages, it might be for one of many other reasons. That's really not the point.

Therefore while this probably isn't the place to discuss it, and while it's definitely not helpful arguing over it, it is a little jarring to hear that someone on JSA (who should therefore be actively seeking and then doing their damndest to get any work put their way, even if only to tide them over) is admitting to frittering away what money they have, on expendable, indulgent things.

I don't know Ilora from Adam, so I'm not going to make any assumptions about her. As you said, she can do whatever she wants in terms of remaining on JSA and spending her money on whatsoever her heart desires. It's also true that the thread has deviated, but I still think it's a valid point that some tact and discretion would be advisable. Spend your money on whatever you want, but don't flaunt it in the faces of people who are often working their arses off to cover the rent and put food on their table.
  • Options
    I'm 18 years old for christ's sake. Why are you all so angry that I'm on jsa and don't have a job??? If was any 'normal' 18 year old like my friends, I'd be at university, spending myself into thousands of pounds worth of debt.

I'm doing it my way, and that's the way it should be. I'm not just going to take any job just to make YOU lot happy. I have to be happy in what I'm doing, not what you think I should be doing. I'm sorry that you have an attitude towards people on benefits, but benefits have been around for decades, so stop getting angry about it there's just no point.
    I'm actually trying to get myself ahead in life, maybe you should air your anger out on people that actually are sponging and make no attempt to seek employment. I'm just on benefits until I can find a small part time job to keep me going, and to be honest, I can't see what your problem is.

Ilora x
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Spend your money on whatever you want, but don't flaunt it in the faces of people who are often working their arses off to cover the rent and put food on their table.

Did I miss the part of the post where she said what clothes and shoes she buys, or what stuff she buys on ebay? Nope? I don't think so.

Do you think that the unemployed should be banned from buying clothing, or perhaps that they should attend interviews in rags?

A lot of assumptions are being made here - and I repeat, the backlash to a request for advice is out of order, vitriolic and irrational.
    Wyetry wrote:
    JSA isn't supposed to be pocket money for people to spend on clothes and shoes, its supposed to be used by people who are in REAL need to cover them whilst they search for a job to pay for things like food, electricity etc.

Can you find me the regulations that rule what claimants are allowed to spend benefits, which are only available under draconian measures on please .......
    Wyetry wrote:
    If Ilora and others like her got jobs then maybe my tax bill would go down.

Yeah, the nice politicians would take your NI money that is meant to spent on health, benefits and pensions and put it in your pocket - to get votes - in the full knowledge that they cannot afford to pay the pensions that NI controbutions were made for.

If I was Ilora, I'd consider going on the sick. Much less hassle......

:yeees:
  • Options
    Did I miss the part of the post where she said what clothes and shoes she buys, or what stuff she buys on ebay? Nope? I don't think so.

Do you think that the unemployed should be banned from buying clothing, or perhaps that they should attend interviews in rags?

A lot of assumptions are being made here - and I repeat, the backlash to a request for advice is out of order, vitriolic and irrational.

If you pulled your head out of your arsehole long enough to read my post properly, I aknowledged that this wasn't the right place to address the issue. It's also not the right place for you to air your grievances about minimum wage employment and entitlement for all!!!!111!!! Retreat to your thread in P&D, I believe your work is done here. Huzzah!

I have to say I don't really understand the first part of your post, or the relevance of it.

I would guess that the glib little comment about attending interviews "in rags" isn't a serious comment, because I'm fairly confident that most people on JSA aren't in a situation where they're clothing themselves in rags and transporting their worldly possesions in a Tesco carrier bag. Irrelevant.
  • Options
    To actually answer your question -

Ring them up on the day in question and tell them you have an interview at the same time as you are supposed to be signing on. Tell them you will be back in as soon as possible.

Then turn in as soon as you can. they will know you are bullshitting but that's ok because they think everyone does. (Because they are scum :D ) No money lost, no worries. Just lie to them. You are in the situation you are in, make the best of it by any means necessary.

Above all - Know, down to the last cell in your body, that the other guy started it. He’s the one who put things in an ethical context where considerations like decency and mercy have no referent. The less pity/fairness moves you now, the sooner you can go back to being a nice guy/gal.

Oh and fuck this lot who want you to go and do some menial crap that you don't want to. Good luck in future too. :thumb:
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Above all - Know, down to the last cell in your body, that the other guy started it. He’s the one who put things in an ethical context where considerations like decency and mercy have no referent. The less pity/fairness moves you now, the sooner you can go back to being a nice guy/gal.

Oh and fuck this lot who want you to go and do some menial crap that you don't want to. Good luck in future too. :thumb:
    Thank you.

Ilora x
  • Options
    I'm not just going to take any job just to make YOU lot happy. I have to be happy in what I'm doing, not what you think I should be doing.

Oh please. I've just come home from a long hard day's work (I don't exepct you know what one of those is) on a crap wage, and it's not very good to see that my effort is going to allow you to sit on your lazy fat arse avoiding any job that doesn't make you "happy".

Well here's a newsflash honey: employment is shit. If you can tolerate your job you're doing well, but you are too lazy to get off your arse and do an honest day's work so you wouldn't know this. If you wait till a job you are "happy" in comes along, you'll be on JSA till you're 50.
    I'm sorry that you have an attitude towards people on benefits, but benefits have been around for decades, so stop getting angry about it there's just no point.

And so have lazy spongers who don't know the meaning of an honest day's work.

Oh, and don't presume that I'm condemning benefits because I'm saying you're a lazy freeloader taking the fucking piss out of us all. I was on benefits, but I wasn't so piss-takingly pretentious about what work I took, so don't think I'm a big meanie who doesn't know what he's talking about.

As has been suggested thousands of times, type "data entry clerk" into the JobCentre website and, would you credit it, there's a job waiting for you. Not doing that is just fucking lazy.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Oh please. I've just come home from a long hard day's work (I don't exepct you know what one of those is) on a crap wage, and it's not very good to see that my effort is going to allow you to sit on your lazy fat arse avoiding any job that doesn't make you "happy".

Well here's a newsflash honey: employment is shit. If you can tolerate your job you're doing well, but you are too lazy to get off your arse and do an honest day's work so you wouldn't know this. If you wait till a job you are "happy" in comes along, you'll be on JSA till you're 50.

And so have lazy spongers who don't know the meaning of an honest day's work.

Oh, and don't presume that I'm condemning benefits because I'm saying you're a lazy freeloader taking the fucking piss out of us all. I was on benefits, but I wasn't so piss-takingly pretentious about what work I took, so don't think I'm a big meanie who doesn't know what he's talking about.

As has been suggested thousands of times, type "data entry clerk" into the JobCentre website and, would you credit it, there's a job waiting for you. Not doing that is just fucking lazy.
    Don't you DARE 'Honey' me you condescending arrogant little shit. I'm sick and tired of you replying to my posts telling me how pretentious I am because quite frankly, it's none of your fucking business!!! I couldn't care less. You don't HAVE to read my posts do you?

Oh and for your information 'data entry clerks' don't have Carpel Tunnel Syndrome do they?? No.

You don't know me, nor my circumstances so take your arrogant opinionated self and shove it where the sun don't shine. I don't care how pretentious I come across to you, because you come across to me, like an absolute prick, so I guess we're just about equal, only I don't follow your every post reminding you how much of a prick you are.
    I don't expect to come here and ask for advice just to be abused and sworn at. So stop replying to my posts if you have nothing worth saying.
  • Options
    So stop replying to my posts if you have nothing worth saying.

To be honest though he is right.

Lots of people do sponge. And if you have the illnesses or disabilities of which you speak then you should be on disability allowance not JSA, as you come across as not seaking a job at all, but just using it to get by until someone somewhere diagnoses you with something. This is why people get annoyed at you.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    To be honest though he is right.

Lots of people do sponge. And if you have the illnesses or disabilities of which you speak then you should be on disability allowance not JSA, as you come across as not seaking a job at all, but just using it to get by until someone somewhere diagnoses you with something. This is why people get annoyed at you.

Don't ever go on an advice workers course. You'd just fail it and look silly.
This discussion has been closed.