Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Jobseekers and Holidays?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been claiming job seekers allowance now for a couple of months and I'm going on one weeks holiday to Greece. I was told by one advisor in the jobcentre, that all I do is lose one week JSA because I'm out of the country and thus unavailable for work.

Now, at my last signing on, I queried this with another advisor and was told that I'd have to sign off and then sign on when I come back - this would include going through the whole interviewing process that I had to do to start JSA which took over 3 weeks....

So I'm confused and a little annoyed. Which one is accurate?

Ilora x

Comments

• Options
    is it just normal jobseekers? if so i suggest you sign off, go on your holiday and then sign back on and try and find a job. plenty of temp agencies will get you work within a day. even in one of the most depressed areas in the country like mine, there's work for everyone who wants it!

how the hell do you afford a holiday on jobseekers? i work full time and trying to scrimp and save to go away for a long weekend!
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    even in one of the most depressed areas in the country like mine, there's work for everyone who wants it!
    I think that's the key issue.
  • Options
    ^ Valid points.

What kind of job are you seeking?
  • Options
    its bloody annoying, i lost my last job, was made redundant and when i went to sign on, and by the time they'd processed everything i'd got a new job and wasnt entitled to everything cos the first 3 days dont count. even people with little or no experience can do something.
  • Options
    a) Yes, It's normal job seekers...
    b) My parents are paying for my holiday as we're going to a friends wedding (and they pay for all my holidays anyway)
    c) and to answer what kind of job I'm seeking; well to be honest I don't see why that's relevant to my initial post... so I'm not going to comment on that if you don't mind :)

So yeah, after 4 replies, I'm still left asking the same question... 'which situation is right?' Do I really have to go through the whole signging on/off process just for one weeks holiday!?

Ilora x
  • Options
    c) and to answer what kind of job I'm seeking; well to be honest I don't see why that's relevant to my initial post... so I'm not going to comment on that if you don't mind :)
    :eek2: You are seeking a job though, right?

Why don't you ask at the JobCentre for clarification?

The rules may even be on the web.
  • Options
    Haha of course I'm seeking jobs... just not the type of jobs they want me to seek; aka 'Sainsbury's Homebase have vacancies' :no:

Ilora x
  • Options
    Haha of course I'm seeking jobs... just not the type of jobs they want me to seek; aka 'Sainsbury's Homebase have vacancies' :no:

everyone's gotta start somewhere.

and although homebase might not be the most glamourous job going, you could do a lot worse.

and i doubt any more glamourous jobs would employ someone with limited experience who had been long term unemployed for no good reason.
  • Options
    I knew this would happen the minute I talk about jobs! :yeees:
    I'm not picky because I want to be, I'm picky because I have to be. I have an anxiety disorder and the thought of working in a supermarket/superstore with lots of people just makes me freak.
    So, I'm applying to small shops in the local city centre instead.
    I just won't tell that to my jobcentre because they'd pull a face and make me go on some random 'confidence building' programme. :no:

Ilora x
  • Options
    So, I'm applying to small shops in the local city centre instead. I just won't tell that to my jobcentre because they'd pull a face and make me go on some random 'confidence building' programme. :no:
    Well, it's good you're applying for that kind of job. To be frank, I prefer working in a smaller shop compared to a supermarket too. I think you're right not to tell the job centre about your anxiety, let's face it, they don't need to know about your private life. Simply state that working in a small shop is a personal preference.

Oh yes, and to those who say you shouldn't be taking holidays, pay no attention to them. What you choose to do is your choice, not theirs. It could easily be said that whilst I was on Income Support that I shouldn't have gone off to London in January. Remember you're legally entitled to Jobseekers Allowance, you're not sponging anyone. Ignore any fool who claims you are.
  • Options

Ilora x
    What exactly do you think you are being given Jobseekers Allowance for? It's not to sit on your arse and turn your nose down anything that you are offered in the hope that you will find something you aren't qualified for.
  • Options
    I knew this would happen the minute I talk about jobs! :yeees:
    I'm not picky because I want to be, I'm picky because I have to be. I have an anxiety disorder and the thought of working in a supermarket/superstore with lots of people just makes me freak.
    So, I'm applying to small shops in the local city centre instead.
    I just won't tell that to my jobcentre because they'd pull a face and make me go on some random 'confidence building' programme. :no:

Ilora x

Whats wrong with going on a confidence building programme - if you havent' got any then - you need to go and get some from somewhere.... Some of the training courses they send you on are actually quite useful.

Obv you can type if your able to communicate with us all here - why don't you go to some temp agencies and sign up for data entry jobs - that would mean less contact with people than in a shop.

Oh and just dont' bother signing on for a week - i dont' think it matters that much - just say you've been on holiday - then if you have to sign on again i'm sure they will just give you the forms.
  • Options
    What exactly do you think you are being given Jobseekers Allowance for? It's not to sit on your arse and turn your nose down anything that you are offered in the hope that you will find something you aren't qualified for.
    Ultimately, the problem with Jobseekers Allowance is that it's a benefit designed to just cram people into jobs they aren't really suitable to do or don't want to do. I was rather lucky - I was referred to the jobcentre by a mental health clinic. I was passed onto an agency that got me the kind of job I wanted. I think working in a supermarket wouldn't be all that different - duties in all shops are fairly similar. Just there's more people in a supermarket.
  • Options
    I have unfortunately got experience of Jobseekers and benefits in general myself. I know it's not perfect. But it's meant to stop you starving while you can't find a job, not give you the luxury of waiting for your ideal career.
  • Options
    I have unfortunately got experience of Jobseekers and benefits in general myself. I know it's not perfect. But it's meant to stop you starving while you can't find a job, not give you the luxury of waiting for your ideal career.
    Yes. Also, it's worth bearing in mind very few people actually end up in their dream job. Oh yes, and the perfect job doesn't exist. Myself, I'm just glad to be off Income Support and earning money. :D
  • Options
    Not give you the luxury of waiting for your ideal career.
    I'm not on JSA to get my 'ideal career' I'm studying part time on 2 adult education courses to do that.
    Please stop the attitude, we can't all be perfect like you.

Ilora x
  • Options
    dont just rely on the jobcentre to find you jobs! there are plenty of private agencies where you can specify exactly what work you will and wont do. they'll find you something.

and i think its wrong for you to dismiss confidence building courses, when you obviously need em if you cant even work in a shop.

everyone must have worked in a job that they didnt like at one point, im 21 now and have never really enjoyed any of my jobs, but i do it. its part of life.

get out there, get a job, maybe it'll force some confidence into you. its obviously not a medical issue or surely you would have got some kind of treatment!

eta: and i do think it is sponging personally when theres jobs out there, especially someone who's never paid anything into the system through not working. i think its shocking
  • Options
    It is a medical issue and I have tried professional hypnotherapy to help with my anxiety. I'm also waiting for a referal to a clinic in London to do with ADD, as it seems that I may have Attention Deficit Disorder like my mum and sister. :yes:

Ilora x
  • Options
    I'm not on JSA to get my 'ideal career' I'm studying part time on 2 adult education courses to do that. Please stop the attitude, we can't all be perfect like you.
    Amazing, but I'm finding myself defending GWST here. I don't accept she sees things like that. Her and Kermit are very similar in some ways - both are brutally honest characters. I wouldn't say she has an attitude problem. But neither have you, come to that. However, with ADD now coming to our attention, I find it difficult to work out a way you can avoid letting the jobcentre know about that. If you don't tell them about that, it could come back to haunt you later.
  • Options
    I haven't been officially diagnosed with ADD yet. Until then, the jobcentre have no reason to know about it.

Ilora x
  • Options
    I haven't been officially diagnosed with ADD yet. Until then, the jobcentre have no reason to know about it.
    Okay Ilora, I've got the message! So, what are you gonna do in the meantime?
  • Options
    Go on holiday!! lol. I'm just plodding along, applying for jobs when they crop up. What I really wanted to know was whether or not I'd have to reapply for jsa when I came back from Greece not an ethical discussion/argument as to why I'm on benefits and whether or not I'm a sponger.

But thanks anyway, I think I'll ask elsewhere for advice next time, you lot seem to be too judgmental to give unbiased advice.

Ilora x
  • Options
    What I really wanted to know was whether or not I'd have to reapply for jsa when I came back from Greece not an ethical discussion/argument as to why I'm on benefits and whether or not I'm a sponger. But thanks anyway, I think I'll ask elsewhere for advice next time, you lot seem to be too judgmental to give unbiased advice.
    :yeees: I think it's you who's too judgemental of us. You rather remind me of myself at my worst, and that's never a good thing. Ask Kermit, GWST or Morrocan Roll. They can tell you...

The answer to your original question: as far as I understand it, you have to declare all dates when you will not be available for work, and also have to visit your jobcentre every two weeks to tell them how you're getting on. If the holiday clashes with either, the answer is yes, you almost certainly will have to re-apply. Contact your Jobcentre and they will be able to tell you more.
  • Options
    I'm not on JSA to get my 'ideal career' I'm studying part time on 2 adult education courses to do that.

Well done you. You still haven't explained why you can't take these jobs that are being offered to you.

I never claimed I was perfect. I've probably made more fuck ups than most. But I've never taken the piss and expected things on a plate like you seem to.
  • Options
    Well done you. You still haven't explained why you can't take these jobs that are being offered to you.
    We still don't know what these jobs actually were. But the part about attending classes is certainly an encouraging sign. :)
  • Options
    It is, and education/training is one of the best ways to get yourself off benefits :)
  • Options
    It is, and education/training is one of the best ways to get yourself off benefits :)
    I'm inclined to agree. One basic requirement from any employer is that the person they hire has a brain. Oh, and a few pieces of paper which claim they can pass exams. Cynical, maybe, but also true.
  • Options
    enjoy your holliday.
    just think where that few miserable quid you take off the tax payer actualy goes ...it goes to people who own shops and stuff.
    it moves money around the system creating wealth and jobs.
    for fucks sake don't start feeling guilty for spreading a bit of wealth ...
  • Options
    Thanks Morrocan Roll.

And that's true... most of my jsa is spent on crap like clothes and shoes and ebay, so I'm actually putting my sponging back into the economy... you should be grateful :lol::naughty: Yes, I'm joking...

Ilora x
  • Options
    If it was me, id book my holiday for the time inbetween signing on, and dont tell them. Youre mental for even mentioning it to them.
This discussion has been closed.