Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tories Set To Win Election

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    thats a poor aproach to take towards democracy. I don't claim to know alot about the mainstream political scene in the U.K. but it sounds alot like the U.S.

Lib dem=Green Party
    labour=Democrats
    Tory=Republicans

and if it's anything like the U.S. the Labour are farther to the right than they might seem.
    I'd say Labour, despite their "working-class" name, are more like Republicans, particularly New Labour. That word "New" is highly significant as its moved Labour to the Right into Conservative terroritory, which is causing problems for the Tories.

Lib-Dems is just are unlanced boil on the body politic! I wish they'd just leave the stage and stop confusing matters and duping voters!
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    And by happy coincidence YouGov has extensive links with the Tories and right wing people.

It's always been more of a cheerleader for the Right than a pollster.

Also formed by Peter Kelner - who once stood for Labour (though I think that he later moved to the Lib Dems). Apart from the Telegraph there clients include such right wing organsiations as Charter 88, the Observer, the Commission for Racial Equality and Channel 4 News.

In the 2001 General Election the error by YouGov on both the party support and labour's lead was 1%, the other pollsters managed an average error of 2.1% on party support and 5.1% on Labour's lead. It was also the closest on the 2003 elections to the Scottish parliament and the London Mayoral Elections.

And whilst probably not relevant it also predicted the 2002 results of Pop Iidol :D

http://pollingreport.co.uk/YGguide.html

You may not like the results, but YouGov in the last few years has developed a better reputation for accuracy than its more conventional rivals.
  • Options
    Doesnt the Today programme on Radio 4 also use YouGov, and interestingly their main presenter has a large number of shares in YouGov.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    I'd say Labour, despite their "working-class" name, are more like Republicans, particularly New Labour. That word "New" is highly significant as its moved Labour to the Right into Conservative terroritory, which is causing problems for the Tories.

Except they are not at all. New Labour has massively funded the public services, something Republicans are against, Labour is pro-choice, something the Republicans aren't really, Labour has softened drug laws, something Republicans dont do.

Granted on civil liberties they do have some similar points, but New Labour is far more similar to the Democrats of Clintons time than the Republicans.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Also formed by Peter Kelner - who once stood for Labour (though I think that he later moved to the Lib Dems). Apart from the Telegraph there clients include such right wing organsiations as Charter 88, the Observer, the Commission for Racial Equality and Channel 4 News.

In the 2001 General Election the error by YouGov on both the party support and labour's lead was 1%, the other pollsters managed an average error of 2.1% on party support and 5.1% on Labour's lead. It was also the closest on the 2003 elections to the Scottish parliament and the London Mayoral Elections.

And whilst probably not relevant it also predicted the 2002 results of Pop Iidol :D

http://pollingreport.co.uk/YGguide.html

You may not like the results, but YouGov in the last few years has developed a better reputation for accuracy than its more conventional rivals.
    Thanks for that NQA, I didn't know it.

Perhaps they're in the right and everyone else is in the wrong... I just find it funny that 4 different pollsters have consistently given Labour a lead of 3-4 points yet YouGov puts the Tories on a par with them.
  • Options
    Sadly I find stuff like this way too interesting - especially during election times.

If you're interested in polls and how they work, try this blog http://pollingreport.co.uk/blog/index.php?m=200503

The chap who runs it admits he's a Tory supporter , but there is very little bias as far as I can tell.
  • Options
    I honestly don't know what to think about this.

On one hand I detest the Tories and everything they claim to stand for, I agree with Anne Widdecombe's 'something of the night' comment on that nasty old snake Michael Howard and I dread to think what they'd do to public services, minority rights etc if they won the election.

On the other hand, I really don't like the idea of a third Blair term. Tbh it frightens me. ID cards, population database, anti-terrorism laws to be used against peaceful protesters, more police powers to retain info on people not charged ... by the end of a third Labour term this country will merit the description 'surveillance state,' if it doesn't already. Then there's the wishy-washy, centre-right Tory-lite agenda of the Blair government, which is about as appealing as a nice cup of cold vomit.

Parliamentary 'democracy.' Some fucking choice...
  • Options
    You could always vote for the Lib-Dems Ibex!
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

I have done in the past and may do again, although my views are much closer to the Greens than the Lib Dems. Either way, I have little faith in parliamentary 'democracy' anyway.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

Didnt you just say they were a boil of this parliment?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Didnt you just say they were a boil of this parliment?

Another comedy classic.
  • Options

So what is it like knowing your country is about to be controlled by a "racist", "lying", "scare mongering" Iraq war supporter?

What do you mean? Labours been in governmjent for years!
  • Options
    satehen wrote:
    What do you mean? Labours been in governmjent for years!
    Love it!!! :):):)
  • Options
    Tories cant get in even if the most optomistic polls are beaten, unless they get 40% and Labour slide to 34% they wont be able to get a majority because of the electoral system. Next genral election could see the very real posibility of a weakly represented party holding a majority. This election is already a forgone but the next could prove a real riot, quite literaly.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

Lib-Dems is just are unlanced boil on the body politic! I wish they'd just leave the stage and stop confusing matters and duping voters!

yeah that's pretty much the same over here, democrats sold out the left to a conservative agenda.

but those Lib-Dems sound like a group i would like...
  • Options
    My advice to Labour supporters is don't bother going out in the cold & rain to vote, Phoney is going to walk it anyway, every poll says so.
    So stay at home with your feet up in front of the TV with a nice cup of tea or a beer!
  • Options
    LOL... New instructions from Central Office, are they?

Voter apathy being the Tories' only remote chance for a victory, it'd make sense for you to encourage people to stay at home. Very good! :D

The funniest thing of all is, it's Howard's turn to the far right that is making millions of disenchanted Labour voters change their minds and lend their vote to Labour once more...

Just make sure Howard remains as leader... makes things much easier.
  • Options
    For all those on this forum who randomly use words they don't really understand, eg calling Michael Howard a "racist", should take note of an interesting bit of info'.

According to the pressure group Operation Black Vote, the Tories have more ethnic minority candidates than either Labour or the Lib-Dems!!

Doesn't really square with being a "fascist" party as some of you called it in your usual uninformed manner!!

Can't see members of the ethnic minorities wanting to stand as fascist candidates, can you?
  • Options
    Many if not them would have joined the party years ago, well before Howard decided to steer the party towards the far right (which only happened 2 or 3 months ago).

In any case (one of the finer ironies in life) established immigrants can sometimes be amongst the most prejudiced of people. Those who are naturally find themselves in harmony with the party that shares their views.
  • Options
    I dont think the Tories are racist, not specifically, they are xenophobic, which is just as offensive but different. They are trying to use peoples irrational fear of 'the other' to scare them into voting.

All this stuff about immigrants and the EU is in that vien.
  • Options
    Yeah fair enough... they're not blanket racists- they are selective towards the people and races they don't like coming into this country.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Many if not them would have joined the party years ago, well before Howard decided to steer the party towards the far right (which only happened 2 or 3 months ago).
    If what you say is true the I haven't seen any mass resignations, in fact none at all!!! :)
    In any case (one of the finer ironies in life) established immigrants can sometimes be amongst the most prejudiced of people. Those who are naturally find themselves in harmony with the party that shares their views.
    Personally I find that not only condescending and patronising in the extrem but it also carries with it heavy hints of racism! Are you in fact a secret right-wing racist?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Personally I find that not only condescending and patronising in the extreme but it also carries with it heavy hints of racism! Are you in fact a secret right-wing racist?

I've heard from numerous sources suggesting that recent immigrants quite likely to support tighter immigration. Many believe it is because they dont want their position to be undermined by further immigrants.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I've heard from numerous sources suggesting that recent immigrants quite likely to support tighter immigration. Many believe it is because they dont want their position to be undermined by further immigrants.
    Precisely.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Theres an implied undertone of racism in your comment which I personally find disturbing! Are you too a secret racist?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Theres an implied undertone of racism in your comment which I personally find disturbing! Are you too a secret racist?

If you think what I said was racist report it to a Mod, I'd be more than happy for you to do so.

Oh, and you can explain to me why its racist too.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

if anything was racist it was the comments he has heard from someone else you twit
  • Options
    He must be on ket...
  • Options
    I'm not into reporting anybody. I'm a big boy. Besides I've noticed that the moderators have a very sensible policy of allowing a wide range of free expression which I'd like to commend them for.