Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tories Set To Win Election

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Tories win election ratings bid

So what is it like knowing your country is about to be controlled by a "racist", "lying", "scare mongering" Iraq war supporter?

Comments

• Options
    are they fuck. they can't actually win, unless they get the biggest landslide of all time, which.. really wont happen.

p.s , you live here too bud.
  • Options
    reminds me off a lukesh thread...i think it went something like "the tories are within 2 points of labour...they're gonna win"

btw...the chances of the tories winning are about 100 000-1
  • Options
    noog wrote:
    are they fuck. they can't actually win, unless they get the biggest landslide of all time, which.. really wont happen.

p.s , you live here too bud.

Polls clearly show they are equal with Labour. Anyone who has researched past polls and election results will know Conservative voters have a habit of voting more consistently and in numbers greater then the pre election polls usually indicate.
  • Options
    Polls clearly show they are equal with Labour. Anyone who has researched past polls and election results will know Conservative voters have a habit of voting more consistently and in numbers greater then the pre election polls usually indicate.

The only poll that shows the Conservatives equal with Labour is from the Torygraph
  • Options
    Born Slippy do you really think the tories are gonna win...if you do you're a fool...
  • Options
    tories have got no fucking chance!!!......vote labour!!
  • Options
    if i vote lib dem, will it be wasted? will it mean labour lose and we have to suffer a conservative reign?
  • Options
    if i vote lib dem, will it be wasted? will it mean labour lose and we have to suffer a conservative reign?

Labour would like you to think so.

I say risk it.
  • Options
    for gods sake don't vote lib dem,you may just aswel vote tory.
  • Options
    If you've got any sense you're vote Tory!
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

i disagree with the core values of the conservative party. i am gay, middle class, female, liberal, animal rights activist etc.... a tory party in power would be hell
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    don't listen to this man on a mission,he twists and turns,like a twisty turney thing!
    he does not represent real people! and will be gone after the election.
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    he does not represent real people! and will be gone after the election.
    I don't represent any political party, just my own take on things but wait and see my friend, I'll still be here after the election!!!
  • Options
    if you work for an average wage,then you must vote labour!
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:

Are you actually on the party payroll?
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    Why? They're tax you more, and besides they don't give a toss about the working-class!
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Why? They're tax you more, and besides they don't give a toss about the working-class!
    nothing wrong with paying tax,if you want public services and the tories certainly don't give a toss about working class people.
  • Options
    ginner wrote:
    Are you actually on the party payroll?
    lol, no just wan't to keep this government.
  • Options
    Born Slippy,

I don't believe that the Tories are going to win. A Labour win, albeit with a reduced number of seats, is almost certain. One reason to believe that is that almost all polls point to a Labour victory.

Frankly, your opening point about the number of people who saw the Tory PPB (12.8m) and the Labour PPB (11.9m) is pretty uninteresting.

However, you do raise an interesting point about opinion polls.
    Anyone who has researched past polls and election results will know Conservative voters have a habit of voting more consistently and in numbers greater then the pre election polls usually indicate.
    The underestimation of the Tory vote was most pronounced in '92. Two points:
    • Pollsters tried to learn the lessons on '92 and, I believe, started making adjustments to take into account a greater reluctance among Tory voters to admit their intentions to pollsters.
    • I'm not sure that there is any longer a greater shyness among Tories than among people intending to vote Labour. The '92 election was after 13 years of Tory rule. After eight years of Labour government, it may well be Labour voters who are shy of saying that they'll vote for the government.
  • Options
    In the UK polls show % of people and who they'd vote for aren't actually much use. Apart from YouGov they only ask how you would vote, not whether you intend voting..

And they don't split people up by constituency. The average Tory Constituency has 75,000 population, the average Labour is 65,000. The Tories need to get about 10% more of the popular vote than Labour to gain an overall majority.
  • Options
    Every single one of the Polls except one [YouGov] show Labour the more popular. YouGov shows Tories and Labour on equal parring.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

if you think that the conservative party care about the proles, you are sadly mistaken.
  • Options
    Now I cant float back to grab the quote and im also being lazy so im going to type it

"if i vote lib dem is that my vote wasted, as i dont want to see a Troy rule"

That was the jist of it I believe. :) Right well this was brought up the other day in all places I tell thee! At 1 am in the middle of a wet Pembrokeshire field trip and really I didnt know how to anwser! I can see both points of view, and I would myself like to vite lib dems but conservative party are my least favourite out of the three and thats bad IMO if they win.

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Bopz :)
  • Options
    well lib dems will win durham, they must do with the amount of leaflets i have been giving out
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    well lib dems will win durham, they must do with the amount of leaflets i have been giving out

Oh good, I am pleased, I haven't been pulling my weight. Glad someone is.
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:

Actually in this area (surrey heath), the labour people are telling us to vote for lib dem, because labour know they have no chance here, and its the best way to try to remove the tories.
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:

thats a poor aproach to take towards democracy. I don't claim to know alot about the mainstream political scene in the U.K. but it sounds alot like the U.S.

Lib dem=Green Party
    labour=Democrats
    Tory=Republicans

and if it's anything like the U.S. the Labour are farther to the right than they might seem.
  • Options
    The truth is that this election is the most unpredictable since 1992. In theory it should just be a question of how big will Labour's majority be? The constituency boundaries are heavily weighted in Labour's favour, as has been mentioned the Tories need a 10-11% lead to get a majority but there are some interesting things to consider about the polls...

All the pollsters have differing methods of surveying opinion - the net, phone or in person; then how do they weigh it - only those certain to vote? everyone? some other magic formula? MORI in particular have been interesting - they went from a 5% Conservative lead when the election was called to a 7% Labour lead this week, while the others have had a tie widening to a small Labour lead.

Also remember that it is harder than ever to get people to talk to pollsters - only people who are really interested in politics are likely to go onto a pollster's website to vote; people may be out when the pollsters phone and there are a lot of people on the Telephone Preference System so they cannot be contacted legally; people are less willing to stop in the street for pollsters etc.

Furthermore, the electorate is more uncertain than it has been for years - I think the statistic was something like only 25% were uncertain who to vote for when the election was called in 1987 and 1997 - this figure is now over 40% and people are much more willing to change their support if they have made a decision!

I still think the old chestnut about pollsters overstating Labour support still applies, this is not new. People often tell the pollsters what they think they should say rather than what they feel - and the Conservatives have an image of being a party of selfish people so it looks better to say you support Labour. In the 80s people said they felt the most important issues were unemployment, the health service, schools etc and that they felt Labour had the best policies on this - yet they still voted Tory because not many people want to go up to a stranger and say "I'd rather have a nice tax cut thanks.".

I don't think the Conservatives will win, but I seriously doubt these polls that are predicting another 100+ seat majority. Personally, I'm following the bookies estimates which seem to suggest a Labour majority of between 50-60 seats.

On the subject of whether you should risk voting Lib Dem or whatever, I would go to the BBC's election website and have a play with Peter Snow's swingometer - then I'd follow this procedure:

If you live in a currently Conservative seat - go for it.
    If you live in a Labour seat which they could lose but still have a majority - go for it
    If you live in a Labour seat which if they lost would cause a Hung Parliament - go for it
    If you live in a Labour seat which if they lost would lead to a Conservative government - hold your nose and vote Labour.
  • Options
    The only problem I have with analysis of the polls predicting low for the Tories is that most of the information comes from when the Tories were in power. There doesn't seem to have been a close look at whether it's the Tories people aren't willing to admit they vote for, or if it's the government.

I mean, most of what is being said about polls and voting is just related to the 1992 fiasco isn't it? The pollsters have been running scared ever since Major walked back to number 10.
  • Options
    Panthro wrote:
    Every single one of the Polls except one [YouGov] show Labour the more popular. YouGov shows Tories and Labour on equal parring.
    And by happy coincidence YouGov has extensive links with the Tories and right wing people.

It's always been more of a cheerleader for the Right than a pollster.