Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

whats this new craze liquid ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, i have been told their is this new liquid or drink or something that actually helps you after you have taken a pill, i am not to sure if its before or after you take a pill, its meant to replace the depletion of chemicals in your brain or something stupid like that, but its meant to help, i think it begins with H or something like that, does anyone have some sort of idea what i am on about? I think its a drink

Comments

• Options
    haven't got a clue...there's loads of "cures" for comedowns but i'm not sure if they're all reliable...
  • Options
    Do you mean 5HTP? There is some debate as to whether it actually helps but it can be bought from most health stores.

Some info here: http://drugs.greenparty.org.uk/health/5htp.htm

TheSite article on coping with comedowns is fairly helpful while if you search the drugs forums for 'comedowns' and '5htp' you'll find more info too.

Susie :)
  • Options
    yep thats the one

yeah, thats the one so what have you heard about it?
  • Options
    thanks susie

so do you know anywhere it can be bought from ?
  • Options
    Holland and baratt sell it, although their tubs fo 5-HTP capsules also contain valerian root which helps relax and send you to sleep.
  • Options
    this is a supplement that helps in the production of serotonin, much like bannanas can. This supplement is NOT an antedote to the effects of E no matter how much you take, it may help speedthe recovery but will not effect the severity of the comedown in the sense of being even a partial antedote.

the solution to a bad comedown is not to cain it up.
  • Options
    mmmmm

so do you reckon ecstacy is a certain damage to seratonin, even though i like do it once in a blue moon, you see i am trying to control myself from taking it to often as i did used to cain them in the past, and now i only do them like at a big rave, i am trying to give it up,but it is like pretty hard, so what i am saying to myself now is only take them like every six months at a big due, its all mind games with these little fellas, cause my liking for dance music and trance, the people are all crazed on the drug scene,and its hard trying to get past that barrier of loving the music without taking like a pill, its so like confusing, so for now, i am just trying to find out a way i can keep my body a bit safer after taking drugs if you know what i mean
  • Options
    well within the context that you ARE going to use E, if i were you i would restrict my use to not more than 2-3 pills a night (i mean if you can do it on one bean then thats more desirable), avoid mixing with anything else (including alcohol) and i know this is a proper mortal sin, but try your very hardest not to smoke weed on the comedown, it will complicate matters.

take regular breaks and plan your use around which sets you wanna be at, not the other way round. For example if you are out and theres a 3-4 hour spot in which there are alot of sets you wanna get in on then plan your dropping around that so you dont end up caining in situations you dont really need to.

Test your pills. If you arent doing them too often then it could be good to do this, wont cost you too much to get a testing kit. Beans are so cheap these days that you CAN afford to throw away the bad ones.

In terms of damage, there is alot of evidence that caining of E does damage the serotonin receptors themselves which do not heal. Serotonin depletion is another matter however and this is treatable but we dont want it to come to that. Severe and chronic use has been shown to create a lasting effect of serotonin production however the long term effects of mild use are debatable.

Seeing as you have cained it in the past, you may find it hard to settle for a more reserved usage...Your tolerance to MDMA never goes down enough to matter, it only goes up.

Proceed with caution and if you start exhibiting depressive or paranoid or anxious symptoms or you just dont feel yourself after taking them any more...the hard reality might be that they honeymoon is over, its not worth getting into mental illness for...
  • Options
    the days are over,but the music is still alive

you know what, you are right and thats what worries me, that first pill, where you get that touchy feeling its just gone! that first euphoric high! all gone.....
    i miss the good old days! but i understand what you mean, i am soon gonna stop anyway, just dont get the same feeling anyway, i suppose its like most recreational drug users, they go through the same phase.... anyway, Global Gathering this year will be my last, fours years on and off is a long time!!
  • Options
    yeah the problem with E is that it really IS another world...its somewher you wanna be and do what you want, and those beans go like sweets if they are in your pockets.

One thing that might help, before you set off to GG, have a few weeks regular swimming or running to get the metabolism sorted, if you dont already, that will help quite a bit.
  • Options
    Your tolerance to MDMA never goes down enough to matter, it only goes up.

Hmm, are you sure about that.

I used to tan loads of pills up until summer '03. Then I stopped because it was getting stupid and I was starting uni. Then come summer '04 I hadn't touched them in a year. Took one pill at a party and I was clean out of it. I put this down to my MDMA tolerance levels decreasing dramatically after 1 year of abstinence.
  • Options
    well thats conclusive now isnt it...because one pill cant be that strong can it?

MDMA tolerance does go down, but so slowly that it happens on a timescale that means it wont drop enought to matter...we are talking centuries for it to dissapate depending on severity.

My money's on you having a particularly strong pill; and whos to say some of the pills you'd been getting werent MDA or other amphetamine derrivatives?
  • Options
    I wouldnt make definate statements like that Martin, I know people who only take beans once or twice a year and they find their tolerance has come down and their highs are almost as good as they used to be.

It totally depends on the person and the length of time between experiences.

You never do quite get back that magic from the first few times, but tolerance doesnt have to mean that MDMA totally looses its high.

MDMA is a very powerful drug, if you treat it with respect then it is relatively safe (though NOT totally so).

5-HTP does seem to work for some people in smoothing out the 'tuesday blues' but its not going to repair any neuron damage caused.

There is also the issue of 'dont take more than X amount of pills' which is somewhat meaningless really unless you are talking about above 5 or more. Pills vary in stregth so greatly.

Just be sensible, know your source, know your body and know what you are taking.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Martin, I am interested to know where you have been reading about the tolerance to MDMA, do you have any links you could send my way?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Just be sensible, know your source, know your body and know what you are taking.

Now why does that sound familiar? ;)
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    Now why does that sound familiar? ;)

Its not quite but very similar to the tag line of Erowid, sound advice certainly.
  • Options
    Iwouldnt go making definative statements like that Martin

I would; what you are indicating there is the 'high' as an end product, serotonin production levels fall and rise throughout our lives and this can play some part when a drug is introduced that artificially raises the levels temporarily.

The brain is a fluid chemical entity, not a solid state body. MDMA tolerance does not dissapate significantly over a life-time, what does vary is the brain's serotonin production ratio. The other side of the coin is that MDMA tolerance does not build on the same scale as say, opioids. What you are identifying there with your friend is a usage after a period of abstinence. Not neccessarily a sign of dramatically decreased tolerance but a better environment in which they drug can work...it depends how you look at it...

My advice was airing on the side of caution; i thought that going out and maybe taking one or as few as possible and enjoying the experience was the best and most sensible course BECAUSE we dont know how strong each pill is going to be...

I think we are getting crossed wires here...we are in danger of confusing physical tolerance with one (albeit the primarily desired effect of MDMA) effect of the substance and the parameters for optimal effect.
  • Options
    But you are then arguing for permenant changes to the brain after using MDMA, causing long term 'damage' perhaps, and there isnt the science to back that up.

Yes, it appears that the receptors are damaged with high use in hot conditions, but what is not clear is their re-growth.

And as you say, the physical brain itself is only part of it.

The tolerance issue I was refering to was someone having to use more of the drug to get a similar effect. I believe that this does seem to go down after prolonged time away from the drug. Though it is different for every person.
  • Options
    My advice was airing on the side of caution;
    Are you sure you weren't erring on the side of caution?
  • Options
    But you are then arguing for permenant changes to the brain after using MDMA, causing long term 'damage' perhaps, and there isnt the science to back that up.
    where'd you get that idea? i mean no such thing..

MDMA does create a temporary state of serotonin depletion...what is not proven is how long this goes on for and what other factors come into play in people who suffer prolonged chronic symptoms.

And before you say there isnt any science at all to indicate permanent effects, go and dig up that paper you sent me... chronic users of MDMA were shown to have a more prolonged period of serotonin depletion and the longtitute of the study was not sufficient to say whether or not this is permanent. There is not the science because there is not the conclusion.

What we do know is that for whatever reason many people who abstain after heavy periods of MDMA use find they both feel better in themselves and that when they return to occasional mild use an improved feeling is attained. This could be attributed to a combination of chemical (in the agonist), subjective, and chemical in the individual, factors.

I get the feeling you are playing devils advocate here...i am not arguing for long term damage or i would not be acknowledging the recovery scenario, what i am professing is the idea that MDMA is an enigmatic chemical that varys greatly in effect due to operational conditions. Serotonin levels always vary slightly in the brain anyway, and chronic use has been show to induce a state of temporary depletion in these levels which does recover in most and varys in recovery time. And thats from the paper YOU sent me...
  • Options
    erring
    :yeees:

shoosh you. this is an old form of Roman-English still used in the Mighty nation of Bhutan. (which is nothing like the kingdomOfBhutan.com of similar name)
  • Options
    What we do know is that for whatever reason many people who abstain after heavy periods of MDMA use find they both feel better in themselves and that when they return to occasional mild use an improved feeling is attained. This could be attributed to a combination of chemical (in the agonist), subjective, and chemical in the individual, factors....

But just a minute ago you said tolerance never went down, I dont mean to be arguementative for no reason (though I do sometimes) I think we're both confusing each other.
  • Options
    no no, i mean physical tolerance based upon the bodies ability to deal with and manage the physical effects, what i am not arguing against is that there are so many variables to the serotonin side of things, whichs lets face it overrides all others that it is not the fact that not as much serotonin is produced in the acceleration, it is base starting point and dosage that is already in question.
  • Options
    I think you're looking at this too complicated, it seems to me, and most others that even if you are a heavy user, if you take a break for a year or more then go back it will be a lot better.

Thats the tolerance I was talking about.

Obviously there are the receptors and seritonin levels and other physical reactions to the drug to take into account, but given that you cant actually measure any of those the end result is all that really counts.
  • Options
    ok in that case then im going to have to come foward with some of my inferrences that so far science has provided only inconclusive data on :D

There is a widely documented honeymoon period with E; from initial dose which when motived by 'yay this is wicked' increases use to a point where psycho-physical symptoms are presented which have an impact to the effect that it outweighs the delights of E (and they must be pretty bad to do that).

Some return and others do not, those that do commonly find initially that the period of abstinence has helped recovery time and the exaccerbation of other symptoms. One thing is certain; for many chronic use of MDMA precipitates very serious (time scale notwithstanding) psycho-physical consequences.
  • Options
    Yep, chronic use can lead to serious problems. But use anything chronically and you're bound to come unstuck.

Sensible recreational use of MDMA need not come with a whole list of downsides. It does have dangers but they are relatively minor for the overwhelming majority of users if the use is sensible.
  • Options
    but then who is sensible, i mean the vast majority of the Murphia on this board only use when drunk for example, not that im getting at anyone but everyone knows this isnt sensible.

Responsible drug use on a major scale is an ideology not a practical goal that can be attained within a time frame. Also that doesn not make the converse arguement valid (lock up druggy scum);

Theres a great quote from Jimmy Carter in PIHKAL;

(something like) "The penalties for possetion of a substance should never be more harmful to the individual than the effects of the drug itself"
  • Options
    Well quite, which is why education is the key, there does seem to be a serious failure in the drugs education when it comes to pills, they arent taken seriously anymore.
  • Options
    all to do with price i think...they are too available, too widespread and too affordable.
  • Options
    Yep, and the younger age group of people using them dont have the perception of danger that older people do. You think you are invincible when you're a teenager.

I think they are the worst combination of effects a teenager could be tempted by, which teenager doesnt want to feel empathy, to feel close to those around him/her to feel accepted?