Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The quickest way to rob a man..

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    klintock wrote:
    Basic economic analysis? We have enough stuff, but we use systems that lead us to view the world as limited, money in particular leads us to these conclusions. How many people do things that they know to be against their own interest for cash?

:banghead:

How does that system work? What are its main features? Is there any way to change it? What would work better?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Are you saying that pointing out how the money system actually works means I can't also say it's a shit system?

You haven't pointed it out though.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Oh and statements of fact aren't an argument, they are statements of facts.

Come on, you're the wannabe philosopher...surely you can see how fraught with philosophical difficulties this statement is?
  • Options
    Oh and statements of fact aren't an argument, they are statements of facts.

your not doing very well as a philosopher ...but theres obviously the right stuff in you to become a politician ...
  • Options
    Okay I'll bite. Never said I want to be a philosopher, that was your idea.

The main part of "the system" is convincing people that there is one. Imaginary borders being just one of many examples of this. The school systems etc specifically pick out those who are best at hallucinating and discard those who are the worst at it.

Teaching you from birth "this is your country" has different effects from saying "we pretend that there is a border here although there isn't, because it's generally useful". It gets a lot more people killed for a start.

It's no use, imo, to start from the point of view of nations, states etc, because you have already accepted a whole load of stuff by taking on the very idea that will fuck up any solutions you come up with, especially if your point of view is that you are using "nation" or "state" as a fact, not an optional fiction.

"You haven't pointed it out though"

I have pointed it out, at least twice on this thread and on others as well.
  • Options
    :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
  • Options
    So if we stopped believing in it, it would go away? Errr...yeah.

*backs away slowly*
  • Options
    15 pages in and I still think the quickest way is with a knife...
  • Options
    Lol @ MoK The thread is badly titled, my approach godawful. This I know, what you gonna do. I fail, I learn, I get back up and try again.

No of course not. The thing to do is to ask questions of those who seek to control you using these methods. Rather fortunately, in order to maintain the appearance of fairness and choice, they allow you this chance.

If you stop believing in it, you notice it was never there anyway.

Have you stopped believing in it? Or did you never in the first place?
  • Options
    15 pages in and I still think the quickest way is with a knife...

Shotgun's better :D
  • Options
    all good sixties hippy stuff this you know.
    armchair evenings ...sussing and sorting the world ...man.

but doing nowt.
    why?
    cos it's a reality that will always rule ...it is part of mans mismanagement of man.
    man will NEVER ... get any further than mismanagement.
    simple as.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Lol @ MoK The thread is badly titled, my approach godawful. This I know, what you gonna do. I fail, I learn, I get back up and try again.

No of course not. The thing to do is to ask questions of those who seek to control you using these methods. Rather fortunately, in order to maintain the appearance of fairness and choice, they allow you this chance.

If you stop believing in it, you notice it was never there anyway.

Have you stopped believing in it? Or did you never in the first place?

What a load of 6th form idealistic nonsense.
  • Options
    Glad to see you have totally given up before you start.

What are you basing "What a load of 6th form idealistic nonsense." on Blagsta?

Ever tried it? Or are you still thinking that "the government" are anything more or less than people?

I manage myself pretty damn well thanks, the problems come in when others try to do it for me.
  • Options
    Fucks sake. Your "analysis" gets you precisely nowhere. As I asked before (and you conveniently ignored) - How does that system work? What are its main features? Is there any way to change it? What would work better?
  • Options
    Huh?

The main part of "the system" is convincing people that there is one. Imaginary borders being just one of many examples of this. The school systems etc specifically pick out those who are best at hallucinating and discard those who are the worst at it.

Teaching you from birth "this is your country" has different effects from saying "we pretend that there is a border here although there isn't, because it's generally useful". It gets a lot more people killed for a start.

It's no use, imo, to start from the point of view of nations, states etc, because you have already accepted a whole load of stuff by taking on the very idea that will fuck up any solutions you come up with, especially if your point of view is that you are using "nation" or "state" as a fact, not an optional fiction.

This was my answer to your question. What are you after?
  • Options
    :banghead:
  • Options
    I better get it soon, or Blagsta is gonna pop a bloodvessel. Sorry I don't know what you are after, Blag.

Give us a clue, please.
  • Options
    A useful analysis that starts from the real world. For instance, what do people need? They need shelter, food, warmth etc. How do we organise that? In a world of enough resources, how come some people are homeless and some own 2 or more homes. Answer (or part of the answer) - the way that resources are produced and distributed. Then take it from there.
  • Options
    Oh ok.

Persuasion.

The most persuasive through words, trade or force get the most stuff. The less ability to persuade others you have, the less you get. Interesting that I come up with this one, given how bad I obviously am at persuading you. Everyone is self interested first and foremost. Whether that self interest leads to conclusions like "look after everyones health so I can stay healthy"
    or "let em rot" depends on how much the individual knows, their beliefs etc.

Those who can persuade whole swathes of others to believe in things that have no actual connection with the "real world" can persuade them to part with their stuff much easier then would otherwise be the case. It's easy to look at "citizens" of a "country" as belonging to a giant cult, if that's a good analogy.

This is their weakness, for the "power" that the persuasive through words have can only be backed up one of two ways when words fail - trade or force. If the persuasion of a "government" as an example rests on it's "fairness", "freedom" (there is that word again) blah blah blah, it's got to match that rhetoric at least partially when it acts, or the game is up and it's got to go to plan "b" - force. Shame they don't have a plan "c".
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Those who can persuade whole swathes of others to believe in things that have no actual connection with the "real world" ".
    oh there is a REAL world then.

the rest is all just so obvious ...
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Oh ok.

Persuasion.

The most persuasive through words, trade or force get the most stuff. The less ability to persuade others you have, the less you get. Interesting that I come up with this one, given how bad I obviously am at persuading you. Everyone is self interested first and foremost. Whether that self interest leads to conclusions like "look after everyones health so I can stay healthy"
    or "let em rot" depends on how much the individual knows, their beliefs etc.

Those who can persuade whole swathes of others to believe in things that have no actual connection with the "real world" can persuade them to part with their stuff much easier then would otherwise be the case. It's easy to look at "citizens" of a "country" as belonging to a giant cult, if that's a good analogy.

This is their weakness, for the "power" that the persuasive through words have can only be backed up one of two ways when words fail - trade or force. If the persuasion of a "government" as an example rests on it's "fairness", "freedom" (there is that word again) blah blah blah, it's got to match that rhetoric at least partially when it acts, or the game is up and it's got to go to plan "b" - force. Shame they don't have a plan "c".

So you basically have a Hobbesian view of human nature. What has made you reach that conclusion?
  • Options
    Yeah, Roll, it's that one that when you get to the edge of a "country" there is bugger all there but land or sea.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Yeah, Roll, it's that one that when you get to the edge of a "country" there is bugger all there but land or sea.
    it's only sea and land if thats how you percieve it though.
  • Options
    Hobbesian?

I am a hypnotist, amongst other things, and I know that you can get people do things against their best judgement, see things that aren't there etc etc if you are persuasive enough. (Not that I ever have got people to go against their judgement, just that I am aware of the principles involved and what you can do with them)

Not too fond of "human nature" though and don't really hold my view as some sort of universal constant, more like a "that's what it looks like from here" with an option to change my mind the second new data comes in.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

I am a hypnotist, .
    obviously a self hypnotist.
    when i say country ...you will snap out of it.
  • Options
    Lol.

Yeah Roll, so if it's only sea and land if that's how you perceive it, what makes that country "real"?

Another "none of it is so countries must be" misfire.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Lol.

Yeah Roll, so if it's only sea and land if that's how you perceive it, what makes that country "real"?

get in touch with whoever taught you hypnotism.
    they obviosly played a very dirty trick on you klit.
  • Options
    Should be easy, I am self taught.

You on the other hand are seeing things that aren't there still, so hows about putting some proof for your delusions up?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Is to print more money.

Say there are 10,000 pounds in total in the economy. I add a thousand pounds. The value of the first 10,000 has just dropped.

Every "dial for a loan" customer, everyone who has taken equity from their home by getting the local bank to put a few imaginary pounds on the screen has stolen from everyone else in the economy.

Now imagine that there is 11,000 pounds in the economy, the bank wants 5% interest on it's loan of 1000. Where does this cash come from if it has never been printed or put on a screen?

By the way, does anyone know what is "Promised to pay" in the text on a Fiver, Tenner or twenty pound note?

That was Klintock`s original post as this thread(interesting as I thought it was) went off somewhere else.

And here`s a little ditty:

Let's say we have 2 people who trade with one another - one of them provides beef, the other grain. When these two people trade, they exchange an item of worth. Perhaps one pound of beef for 2 pounds of grain. But what if the grain famer has enough beef for the moment, yet the other fellow still needs grain right away? To pass this obstacle the two agree that an IOU will be sufficient. That the grain farmer will provide grain in exchange for a note from the rancher stating, "This IOU is good for XXX amount of beef on any date." Ah! Problem solved! But now let's introduce 100 other people into this circle - - all of a sudden no one can keep track of the IOU's from all the different people involved. Some are forged, some are lost - arguments break out all around. Now, let's bring in Mr. Sleaze. Mr. Sleaze shows up one day and claims to have the answer to all of their problems. "A common unit of exchange! One piece of paper will be backed by one pound of beef, thus allowing everyone to gauge the approximate value in relation to what they are trading!" So now the grain famer knows that he should charge one of these notes for every 2 pounds of grain. Still with me? Good - here's where it gets interesting.

After several years pass and the group has become accustomed to the new unit of exchange (we'll call it "The Sucker"), Mr. Sleaze starts to prey on the poor. He offers to loan them some Suckers to buy the things they need with the understanding that they must pay him back or he will take something of value such as their home. Well of course, the poor rarely emerge up from the problems they are mired in, so inevitably Mr. Sleaze finds himself the owner of several new homes. And what price did he pay? The cost of a few pieces of paper that he printed up to supply the loan. He is able to do so because he presumes that no one will actually attempt to redeem these notes for beef from him, they will spend their Suckers elsewhere. The ownership of all of these assets soon places him in a position of authority. With such a profitable business (for this has cost him absolutely nothing...he's doing these people a FAVOUR, remember?) and a rise to power, Mr. Sleaze decides to expand by bringing a few people in on the secret. He sends them out to introduce The Sucker to other communities in need. However, these neophytes are not nearly so good at business as he is, and soon there is a steep drop of confidence in The Sucker. The people flock to Mr. Sleaze and demand to redeem their suckers for beef, since that's what they are backed by after all. Sensing the impending collapse of his scheme, Mr. Sleaze uses his authority to declare beef illegal. He then calms the people by giving out virtually interest-free loans. Since the people now have a long history with this form of currency, they are blinded by their greed - "With this new loan I can buy so much land the naked eye won't be able to see the end of it, and all it will cost me is a bag of grain a month for 5 years!" Of course, Mr. Sleaze will have to create new Suckers out of nothing in order to make these loans. This increases the supply of Suckers which in turn causes the people to get into price wars, "I'll pay you TWICE what he's offering! I really need that grain!", thus causing the number of Suckers required for a given item to increase without the value of the item actually increasing. The Sucker has lost value simply due to the number of them in circulation.

seeker
  • Options
    Could anyone be arsed to read that?