Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The quickest way to rob a man..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is to print more money.

Say there are 10,000 pounds in total in the economy. I add a thousand pounds. The value of the first 10,000 has just dropped.

Every "dial for a loan" customer, everyone who has taken equity from their home by getting the local bank to put a few imaginary pounds on the screen has stolen from everyone else in the economy.

Now imagine that there is 11,000 pounds in the economy, the bank wants 5% interest on it's loan of 1000. Where does this cash come from if it has never been printed or put on a screen?

By the way, does anyone know what is "Promised to pay" in the text on a Fiver, Tenner or twenty pound note?

Comments

• Options
    Lol. I have my own business, Rich kid. Like all people should be, I am my own boss.

Interesting attack though. Any comments on this other than the vitriol?

You had time to waste on it too, btw. :) Perhaps you should follow your own advice.
  • Options
    Printing money isn't particularly quick. Surely it would be quicker to hold a knife against his throat?
  • Options
    erm you can rob him while he sleeps, without him ever knowing it's happened. you can even give it a name....inflation, say, and tell him it's part of the economic process.

Providing you are convincing enough he will go along with you, meek as a lamb.

And he can't resist even if he knows it's happening.
  • Options
    Not the quickest though, is it?

BTW I might have a problem raising inflation. In fact I think you have described the hardest way for me to rob a man.
  • Options
    Attack of the free marketeers! Quick, run away!
  • Options
    Well not really, the company offering the loans and mortgages will need to finance that themselves, they can't just loan money to people that they don't have!
  • Options
    Wow you are naive. They have no money, they show that process they will use to an insurer, who underwrites the whole process.

The insurer doesn't have the cash either, because he looks at all the probabilities and, even though he plays it safe, always underwrites more than he has cash to cover, hoping that his acumen will predict circumstances in the future. It's a massive legal confidence trick.

The "Bank of England" is a company.

It costs about £2500 to print £1M and about 3pence to write down on a piece of paper that they have it, knowing that the name alone will carry it through.

I was looking for thinking men....I found sheep. Man of Kent, is that a Billy goat I see above your bridge? Read the post again, where does it say "you"? Nowhere. Your posts aren't constructive I suspect, because you don't read all the words.
  • Options
    What is about the lunatic right and the lunatic left that when people disagree with them it is because these people are sheep (or sheeple)?

Surely we'd be more sheep like if we followed your argument just because you said it, rather than unsheepishly point out its inconsistencies and lack of logic...
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Is to print more money.

Say there are 10,000 pounds in total in the economy. I add a thousand pounds. The value of the first 10,000 has just dropped.

Every "dial for a loan" customer, everyone who has taken equity from their home by getting the local bank to put a few imaginary pounds on the screen has stolen from everyone else in the economy.

Now imagine that there is 11,000 pounds in the economy, the bank wants 5% interest on it's loan of 1000. Where does this cash come from if it has never been printed or put on a screen?

By the way, does anyone know what is "Promised to pay" in the text on a Fiver, Tenner or twenty pound note?

What on earth are you talking about?

In the real economy price rises are inevitably matched by wage rises (obviously) in the Short run there may be money illusion (people think there is real wage increase when it is only nominal) but in the LR there is likely to be little real effect, depends on lots of things.

People that lsoe form inflation are savers, people who gain are debtors, in this sense you were aiming in the right direction.........
  • Options
    Someone has pointed out flaws and inconsistencies?

Where? Not in this thread, that's for sure.

Please, if I have got something wrong and a logical argument has been put forward that refutes it (get a job etc not counting) could you tell me what it was.

You have underlying assumptions that I DO NOT SHARE AND AM NOT AWARE OF. Perhaps you should point some of them out for me so I can meet your position somehow.
  • Options
    Well frankly I have no idea what you are talking about when you say 'imaginary pounds'

Maybe we could start with that?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

I could be horribly wrong but I'm sure I was told in primary school that paper money is the equivalent to gold, so if you have a five pound note then you could exchange it for five pounds of gold at the bank, etc...
  • Options
    I could be horribly wrong but I'm sure I was told in primary school that paper money is the equivalent to gold, so if you have a five pound note then you could exchange it for five pounds of gold at the bank, etc...

Except they dont have the gold standard anymore, your £5 is probably backed up by some Euros or a few Yen.
  • Options
    Ah ok I can do that.

Originally the pound was backed with gold - I promise to pay the bearer on demand the sum of twenty pounds of gold. Gold was used because it was limited in supply so held it's value well and was needed for men to marry

You went to the bank and had to take the valuable substance out by proving your claim on it. Over time the bank started to issue "checks" - marks signed by people at the bank stating that the gold was in the bank. You gave that check to another person, they could present it at the bank and get the gold.

The gold was what was valuable, not the paper. Now the banks realised (over time)that they could hold onto the gold and merely issue checks, because few people ever asked for the gold, they were content with the checks.

At this point they started to grant loans to others, using the gold in the vaults to back it, knowing full well that it was astronomically unlikely that they would have to give it back all at once. The actual ratio is about 10% and is called the credit asset ratio.

On the loans they asked for interest, which was going to be difficult to pay because while the total amount of gold in the economy was, let's say 100 checks worth, they actually wanted paying back (out of the economy as a whole) 105 checks worth if they wanted 5% interest.

This is patently impossible. Luckily for those who still owed the bank, they allowed further loans of "gold" attached to property (mortgages etc) again in check form. More time passed, and they pursuaded their friends in government to change the law so that the pound wasn't backed by any real world substance at all.

The bank does not have enough real world assets to cover all it's debts if they were presented all at once. Any time you ask for a loan, the bank merely adds the numbers to it's total column, and out of that total, keeps 10% of that new total available just in case.

If you go to the bank and ask for goods instead of paper, you know as well as I do that they wil laugh at you. Yet the law clearly states that legal tender is that which should not be normally refused in pursuit of a debt.

Any questions? I may have gone a little fast.
  • Options
    if theres ten thousand pounds in the economy and rich kid stuffs five thousand of it in his matress the rest of us are fucked.
  • Options
    I do find it all hard to get my head around really...Its like if I get paid from work that goes straight into my bank account, which I access online, and if I were then to spend all my money on online purchases, or just using my debit card, I would never even see any money at all, just arbitary numbers...

I would be interested to know what happened if you walked into a bank and asked to exchange say, a ten pound note for actual goods (be it gold or whatever it is they are supposed to give you?).
  • Options
    You get told that the note doesn't entitle you to any property at all. (If you insist that is, at first they laugh)

They won't write this down, funnily enough.
  • Options
    i could write anyone a note if they wanted one

which would entitle themto a good beating :D
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Ah ok I can do that.

Originally the pound was backed with gold - I promise to pay the bearer on demand the sum of twenty pounds of gold. Gold was used because it was limited in supply so held it's value well and was needed for men to marry

You went to the bank and had to take the valuable substance out by proving your claim on it. Over time the bank started to issue "checks" - marks signed by people at the bank stating that the gold was in the bank. You gave that check to another person, they could present it at the bank and get the gold.

The gold was what was valuable, not the paper. Now the banks realised (over time)that they could hold onto the gold and merely issue checks, because few people ever asked for the gold, they were content with the checks.

At this point they started to grant loans to others, using the gold in the vaults to back it, knowing full well that it was astronomically unlikely that they would have to give it back all at once. The actual ratio is about 10% and is called the credit asset ratio.

On the loans they asked for interest, which was going to be difficult to pay because while the total amount of gold in the economy was, let's say 100 checks worth, they actually wanted paying back (out of the economy as a whole) 105 checks worth if they wanted 5% interest.

This is patently impossible. Luckily for those who still owed the bank, they allowed further loans of "gold" attached to property (mortgages etc) again in check form. More time passed, and they pursuaded their friends in government to change the law so that the pound wasn't backed by any real world substance at all.

The bank does not have enough real world assets to cover all it's debts if they were presented all at once. Any time you ask for a loan, the bank merely adds the numbers to it's total column, and out of that total, keeps 10% of that new total available just in case.

If you go to the bank and ask for goods instead of paper, you know as well as I do that they wil laugh at you. Yet the law clearly states that legal tender is that which should not be normally refused in pursuit of a debt.

Any questions? I may have gone a little fast.

And this is one of the resons we are richer today than we have ever been.

You talk as if there is something wrong with this system or in fact that a gold based system was superior. This is bollocks........
  • Options
    I am sorry, you lost me with that one.

A group of people slowly take control of all the wealth behind the scenes, unelected, unaccountable and get this, with OTHER PEOPLE'S money and we are "richer than we have ever been."

Unless you work for a bank.....this is bollocks.
  • Options
    You actually think that it would be better to live, what 500 years ago?

Or ina country with no financial system, maybe Somalia?

I do not think so.
  • Options
    Again you lose me. A financial system based on wealth available in the real world is worse than one dependant on a scam that can break down at any point?

This is bollocks.
  • Options
    Yes it could break down but it does not and we are better off for it, woudl you rather live in Somalia or 500 years ago, no....
  • Options
    You are quite right. All of Somalias problems are due to it's lack of acceptance that money has to be worth more than the paper it's printed on.

And if only we had adopted the idea 500 years ago, why we would be flying around in hover jets and living on the moon!!!

Get a grip man.
  • Options
    klintock, are you on drugs?
  • Options
    your point is wasted on this lot klintock, who are in need of a simple economics lecture.........everyone thinks that because the banks provide a useful service they are a vital part of our economy, which is true...........what people don't realise is in reality they leech off the average joe and are a drain on the economy.......it's called the mandrake mechanism.........the only u.s. presidents who disagreed with handing over all the power to the banks were lincoln and kennedy, and they didn't last long.......
  • Options
    Yup. I am kinda thinking that I am. These guys could use some Chomsky in their diet.

MoK, you are the only one here who has claimed to see the things that aren't there, although you did it in my other thread.
  • Options
    c50322-orlandini-a.gif

It looks like those printing presses will need a good oiling soon.Not to worry,we are all getting "richer" by the second.God bless America :D

seeker
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Yup. I am kinda thinking that I am. These guys could use some Chomsky in their diet.

MoK, you are the only one here who has claimed to see the things that aren't there, although you did it in my other thread.

You're bigging up Chomsky yet seem to be posting in favour of neo-liberal economics? Are you on crack?
  • Options
    Ermmmm I am posting facts, not opinions.

Also.....you have to start babies on mush before they move to solids.

Why does everyone accuse me of using drugs? I find it very strange, considering I am the only one not hallucinating.

What the bearded ferk are Neo-liberal economics, and what do they have to do with a post about how banks factually operate?