Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.

Should I take Ecstacy???

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
    LadyJade wrote:
    I couldn't see they said anything about ephedrine, they do say they contain phenylalanine, which is an amino acid. According to the well respected European Bioinformatics Institute,
    Which doesn't sound that good to me.

Hi LadyJade,

it's true what you say but phenylalanine is in all the diet soft drinks aswell, I don't know much about phenylalanine but surely if it's in soft drinks its not a big problem? unless diet drinks would be stopped?
    Id say its not worth it. I had really bad come downs when i took it and it can become addictive. Wouldnt take it again!
    Fairy wrote:
    Id say its not worth it. I had really bad come downs when i took it and it can become addictive. Wouldnt take it again!

well thats you...i know people who get either mild or no comedowns at all and i know people who can take them only now and again....it's different for everyone...
    come downs
    Fairy wrote:

Ive had bad come downs and no come downs on e's, but then I've had bad hangovers off beer, point is i'll do them both again because the night before was worth it! have you stopped drinking because of a hangover?

*legalise cannabis but get rid of BUSH (he's full of shit!)*
    they were developed as a drug harm minimisation solution

unless BZP has undergone extensive (expensive!) medical trials, then this is bullshit.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Hi LadyJade,

it's true what you say but phenylalanine is in all the diet soft drinks aswell, I don't know much about phenylalanine but surely if it's in soft drinks its not a big problem? unless diet drinks would be stopped?
    Hi there, I suppose it would depend how much of it was contained in diet drinks as compared to how much was contained in pep pills really. Soft drinks are well regulated, and by the sound of it, pep pills are not, and that is what concerns me.
    As for being researched chemicals, how do you know what your getting in an e?

Most pills contain one of a short list of researched chemicals, MDXX family type drugs whose action is roughly understood, amphetamines which are well known and possibly Ket, which again has under gone extensive trials.

Compared to BZP your average esctasy pill is like a prescription tablet.
    :eek2: I know you are making a point Bong, but really....
    Its a simple simile, a little blunt perhaps, but valid.
    I'm just concerned that somone may imply from that comment that E is safe. (and you know I'm not saying this for your benefit, I just want to make it clear) Pharmaceuticals are rigorously tested before they are licenced for public consumption, E's are most definetely not. The content of each batch of pills differs form one to the next, and the long term effects are still relatively unknown. If E's were tested and researched as rigorously as pharms, we would be a lot more well informed.

*Rant over*
    Well yes, thats why I said 'compared to'.

But warnings are important.
    B careful if you take it!
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,285 Skive's The Limit
    LadyJade wrote:
    I'm just concerned that somone may imply from that comment that E is safe.

It is when you compare it to many everday activities that most people don't give a second though to.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    It is when you compare it to many everday activities that most people don't give a second though to.

Ahh, but then we are wandering into the world of relative risk, and thats very different from something being 'safe'.
    bongbudda wrote:
    Ahh, but then we are wandering into the world of relative risk, and thats very different from something being 'safe'.

There isn't much in life that's 'safe'. I consider it safe much like I consider alcohol to be safe - very safe if used properly though quite damaging if abused.

If you lived a life that was completely safe you'd have no life at all.
    Weekender Offender 
    Well of course, but you know as well as I do that TheSite cant be saying 'Pills are safe'.
    Well that would be because it would be a lie.
    Yes, but one could say it was relatively safe compared to other past times.
    Safe relative to other riskier pasttimes still doesn't make it safe, there is still risk involved which is dependent on the individual, the drug and the circumstances.

Now we are talking semantics, and you win already Bong, you are much more pedantic than I am. :D
    LadyJade wrote:
    you win already Bong, you are much more pedantic than I am. :D

Huruh!

Seriously though, it is easy to get relative risk confused, you only have to look at this latest food scare to realise that. This is why drugs education needs to be really truthful, any exageration of the risk/dangers will be seen as lies.
    LadyJade wrote:
    Well that would be because it would be a lie.

As much of lie as declaring horseriding, fishing or crossing a busy road as safe.

Safe is a measure of risk and everybody gives it a different value. For me, ecstasy is safe.
    Weekender Offender 
    thats a personal definition based upon your own experiences and your makeup both mentally and physically as a person. It is also based upon all the information you have available to you AT THE MOMENT. who knows whats around the corner?

Also the fact that they are safe 'for you' semi-acknowledges the idea that its a definition that cannot be extended to all people.
    Statistically horse ridding is considerably more dangerous.
    yes but what are we talking about in terms of consequence...just because someone doesnt go down, keel over or otherwise snuff it does not make it safe...

i would suggest that that statistic is turned on its head when one considers that there has been very little suggestion that horse riding might be dangerous for certain people in terms of long term mental health
    Yes, but there is only the suggestion of future mental health problems and there is a definate and certain higher rate of deaths and injuries from horse ridding than from pills.
    come back in 50 years and we'll compare those figures again.

i seriously dont need any medical evidence at all to at least strongly suggest that for some people the possibility of repeated ecstasy use being an antagonist for other mental health problems.
    Indeed, misuse does seem to have a correlational link with negative mental health impact.

I would say that the perception of horse riding is less risky than it actually is and that the use of MDMA is seen as more risky than it actually is.
    i'd have to agree...

the most ignorant thing i've ever heard...taking drugs, its stupid, its ... just...stupid.

now if i told you one the most wonderfully insightful experiences of your life could be inside this pill, and you considered it, would that be stupid?

was it stupid of Guthrie to test chloroform on himself, for the possible applications that lay beyond it.

drug education is one of the few areas of sencondary education where no dicussion or contestation is really tolerated or sought, people are taught like sponges (just absorbing everything) and so they act like it when faced with a problem.
    Quite, hell even the UN admited that MDMA was worthy of study.

None of us would be stupid enough to argue drug use comes with no risk, but its important to get that risk in proper perception.
    some would say (its a dialectical view, and getting a bit off topic i guess) that a proper evaluation of everything in realtion to everything else is desirable.

When someone takes ecstasy, the focus cannot just be on the pill, for the actual pill is not the majority of the equation. It doesnt make you high, your body reacts and makes you high, therefore each individual makeup is going to be as vital as the pill. Figuring out the contents of your own head is harder than that of a pill.