Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

teen parenting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
dose anyone else feel strongly about how older people look down on teen parents .im a teen mum and i love haveing a baby but i hate the way some people look at ame like im dirty .i might only be 17 but im just as good a mum as anyone else.

Comments

• Options
    depends on how you act in public really
  • Options
    um

i know what you mean but im with my boyfriend and hes alot older than me we have been together for five years and were getting married . i act and look older than 17 but just cos im young older people think im some sort of slag to have a child.
  • Options
    I know what you mean kitten, I was 19 when I had my eldest many moons ago, like you I looked and acted older than my age and was in a stable relationship but purely because of my age some people treated me like some kind of juvenile delinquent, including my G.P!! I knew I wasn't, I was a good mum (still am I hope. :D )

The only advice I can give you is to try and ignore it as much as possible and learn to stand up for yourself and be assertive when you really need to, i.e. against Health Visitors and the like! You have to remember that going back a few decades into the last century, having babies young was the norm, nobody thought anything of it.

You know you're not some kind of slag. That's all that really matters.
  • Options
    Just ignore them. You know you are a good mum, so be proud of it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *TiNK*
    Just ignore them. You know you are a good mum, so be proud of it.

I agree as long as your a good mum then nobody can judge you.
  • Options
    its so much to give up though.

i would never never give up my education and my youth and my freedom to become a mother. i'm 18 now. i shant have kids until i've done my degree and then a post grad degree, got a stable job and partner etc.
  • Options
    I had James when i was 24 & i got those looks also, i looked younger & Chris looks older than me even though he aint. they looked at me disaproving & at Chris like he was a dirty old man.

I just stared back at them or ignored them.
    At the end of the day they don't know you & they don't matter.
  • Options
    I think its a disgrace how much discrimination young mums face.
    You hold your head up high, youve got nothing to be ashamed of.
  • Options
    ive known great teen mums who are devoted to their baby and ive known awful teen mums who couldnt give an arse about their baby. thankfully the good ones are more common, its your life and your baby dosent matter what other people think tbh
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    I just stared back at them or ignored them.

Yeah, that's the best thing to do if they're openly staring, stare back until they get uncomfortable and look away.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    Yeah, that's the best thing to do if they're openly staring, stare back until they get uncomfortable and look away.

Yep i got so mad i asked one woman what she wanted & she got all embarrased & walked away.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    Yep i got so mad i asked one woman what she wanted & she got all embarrased & walked away.

:lol: thats always the best! They never know what to do/say.
  • Options
    Lol. Well they seem to be setting out to make you feel uncomfortable so turn the tables on them. I'll never be in this position again I fear, although if I'm very unlucky people might think I'm just a very old mother when I have my first grandchild and stare at me for that! You never know.
  • Options
    none of you feel like you've thrown your life away?
  • Options
    Originally posted by xmizzcattyx

No i have brought a lovely little boy into the world with lots of love & hes very happy. He makes us happy too.
  • Options

My son was born a month after my 20th birthday. I had a few disapproving looks and a few people asked if I was throwing my life away. I don't think I threw my life away, it just took a slightly different path! My son makes me really happy and I feel complete. As long as you are a good parent then I don't think it matters what age you decide to have kids.
  • Options
    Not at all. my son was very much wanted. I wasnt a teen mother, and I wouldnt have chosen to have a baby that young either, but if someone does choose that then they deserve support to be be able to do the job as well as they can - not condemnation.
  • Options

:no: i wouldnt.
  • Options

What would they do instead that would be of more worth?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    What would they do instead that would be of more worth?

get an education
  • Options
    get an education

Are you taking the piss?
  • Options
    Are you taking the piss?

no i'm 100% serious. why get pregnant as a teen when you should be getting an education. we're a nation of idiots
  • Options
    no i'm 100% serious. why get pregnant as a teen when you should be getting an education. we're a nation of idiots

Or we could be a nation of unsupportable old people. Whoops, looks like we did that.

FFS, there is NOTHING more worthwhile than a good mother bringing up a child. That is NOT to say that teenage pregnancy is always a good thing. But there are women who want children young, and should NOT be looked down on because they didn't have a career, or a degree, they shaped a life, which is something that can NOT be topped by any first class fucking honours degree or being managing director of any fucking multi-national company.

I love my course, I love university, and I want a job, but I am NOT better than any young mother.
  • Options
    surely the best time to bring a vhild into the world is when you can support it properly. help it learn. hold down a stable job and have all the resources your child needs. how at 16/17 with no qualifications is it possible to bring up a child with all it needs? a life of council flats and scrimping and saving?!
  • Options
    Money does not =quality of life
    Money does not =happy child
    Money does not =well brought up child

You'd have to ask the ladies whether their children are happy. but I tell you, I've never met a child that was happen because of how much money their parents had in the bank.
  • Options
    Money does not =quality of life
    Money does not =happy child
    Money does not =well brought up child

You'd have to ask the ladies whether their children are happy. but I tell you, I've never met a child that was happen because of how much money their parents had in the bank.

i disagree. money SHOULDNT be necessary for happiness, but it is a huge factor. it also greatly effects life chances. if you want i'll dig out some statistics to back me up on that. without money life can be miserable. you need money to sustain even the most basic human prerequisites.

money definately = quality of life
  • Options
    also the poor die younger
  • Options
    also the poor die younger

Sell your womb on Ebay, if you think money means more. Perhaps you could give some of the money to the ladies here, seeing as they decided to start a family before they hit their thirties.
  • Options
    i never said that money means more

love means more to me than everything

but in the case of dependant children, simply to love them is not enough.

from another perspective then; what about an alcoholic mother who loves her children more than anything (apart from drink)? she loves her children with all her heart but she cant look after them properly and give them all the resources they need. is that enough for the kids?

edited to say: and also, my point about education you all assume is just about the financial outcomes of spending longer in learning. but what about the fulfillment and the quality of life that WE want? forget our children for a minute. why should we give up the chance to be knowledgeable, to understand, to build our intelligence? nothing is worth giving that up. we can be well educated AND have children. why choose one over the other when there is no choice to be made in the first place
  • Options

There's nothing to stop you getting an education when you've got kids. I had two when I did my degree.