Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Vanunu as Glasgow Uni rector.

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Re: Vanunu as Glasgow Uni rector.
    Originally posted by eternalsunshine
    Absolute class King. Congrats to Glasgow Uni.

So who the fuck has got a beef about this appointment then?

As an anti-Israel fanatic with extreme views I find your delight unsurprising eternalsunshine. Most people of moderate political persuasion however recognise that honouring traitors such as this one is distasteful in the least; simply disgusting to be blunt.

Nonetheless I couldn’t really care a great deal as it’s of little significance. A few ignorant and uninformed students electing some washed out has been…not really the end of the world is it?

Meanwhile looking forward to 2005, perhaps peace is finally possible. That terrorist Arafat is finally dead, over the festive period it’s worth all of us perhaps raising a glass to his thankful demise whilst hoping that 2005 finally brings a peaceful conclusion to the conflict.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Vanunu as Glasgow Uni rector.
    Originally posted by Disillusioned
    As an anti-Israel fanatic with extreme views I find your delight unsurprising eternalsunshine.
    What makes you think that I am an 'anti-Israel fanatic' with 'extreme views' Disillusioned? Do you know me?

Are you trying to tell me that if an Israeli citizen decides to tell the world of his country's nuclear programme then he should be jailed for being a 'traitor'?

Is it okay in your book to allow a country (rogue state) such as Israel to pursue a clandestine nuclear capability without the knowledge of the international community yet other states are not?

I smell hypocrisy of the highest order here.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Vanunu as Glasgow Uni rector.
    That terrorist Arafat is finally dead, over the festive period it’s worth all of us perhaps raising a glass to his thankful demise whilst hoping that 2005 finally brings a peaceful conclusion to the conflict.
    Shame then that the state terrorist, mass-murdering war criminal child-killing fat bastard Ariel Sharon is still alive and in office, isn't it?

Not much chance of peace for as long as he and all the ultra-zionist 'Greater Israel' fundamentalists who populate the Israeli government are around.

Unless of course they were suddenly to decide to comply with the dozens upon dozens of outstanding UN resolutions and get the fuck out of Occupied Palestine once and for all.

Incidentally Disillusioned, and going back to the starting topic, I was just wondering: would you describe French civilians who created and/or joined the Resistance, fought the Nazis and the puppet French government that was installed and assisted Jewish people in hiding from the Germans as "traitors"?

Or do you recognise that in some instances committing acts against your own government/state are commendable and should be applauded?
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Vanunu as Glasgow Uni rector.
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Shame then that the state terrorist, mass-murdering war criminal child-killing fat bastard Ariel Sharon is still alive and in office, isn't it?

Not much chance of peace for as long as he and all the ultra-zionist 'Greater Israel' fundamentalists who populate the Israeli government are around.

I think you’re under some kind of illusion Aladdin. The Israeli government is not populated by ultra-Zionist fundamentalists…Labour are even more moderate than Likud. But, no I would not say it's a shame that Sharon is still in office. I think he’s been a good leader for Israel; he’s showed strength against terror whilst making a worthwhile concession by planning withdrawal from Gaza. Israel’s economy is also doing well. As a supporter of Israel and the Zionist movement I think Sharon has done a good job but not being an Israeli citizen I'll think I'll leave it up to Israelis who they elect in their free and fair elections...Btw, how many Arab states have leaders elected in free and fair elections?

Originally posted by Aladdin
    Unless of course they were suddenly to decide to comply with the dozens upon dozens of outstanding UN resolutions and get the fuck out of Occupied Palestine once and for all.

Incidentally Disillusioned, and going back to the starting topic, I was just wondering: would you describe French civilians who created and/or joined the Resistance, fought the Nazis and the puppet French government that was installed and assisted Jewish people in hiding from the Germans as "traitors"?

Or do you recognise that in some instances committing acts against your own government/state are commendable and should be applauded?

I find the comparison you’re trying to draw pretty sick. Vanunu breached a state secrets act, he publicly revealed classified information. This is a punishable crime everywhere. Brits have committed this crime and served time as a result, as have Americans, as have French citizens and citizens of most countries. Would you consider it acceptable for somebody working for the Spanish government to reveal sensitive information to say Morocco? The simple fact is Vanunu betrayed the trust of the Israeli government. Now I don’t see what that’s got to do with the bravery of the French resistance and the acts of brave citizens in occupied Europe hiding Jews. Are you trying to say that people who do things to harm the State of Israel, like Vanunu are equal to people like the French resistance who did their best to harm the Nazis? The Nazi/Israel comparison is fictitious, offensive and nasty.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Vanunu as Glasgow Uni rector.
    I think you’re under some kind of illusion Aladdin. The Israeli government is not populated by ultra-Zionist fundamentalists…Labour are even more moderate than Likud. But, no I would not say it's a shame that Sharon is still in office. I think he’s been a good leader for Israel; he’s showed strength against terror whilst making a worthwhile concession by planning withdrawal from Gaza. Israel’s economy is also doing well. As a supporter of Israel and the Zionist movement I think Sharon has done a good job but not being an Israeli citizen I'll think I'll leave it up to Israelis who they elect in their free and fair elections...Btw, how many Arab states have leaders elected in free and fair elections?
    Well you were proposing a toast all around over the death of Arafat and suggested now there is a chance for peace. I am merely pointing out that Ariel Sharon is a murdering scumbag infinitely more despicable and bloody than Arafat could have possibly been, and that since he has throughout his political life supported the proliferation of illegal settlements, and has no intention whatsoever to withdraw from the West Bank, chances for peace are next to nil.

And as for fundamentalist zionist, I mean those who simply believe the whole area that comprises Palestine and Israel belongs to the Jewish people by Divine Decree, and who consequently have no intention whatsoever to withdraw from the West Bank.

And I'm sure you'll agree there are few people in Likud who are prepared to withdraw from the West Bank.

I find the comparison you’re trying to draw pretty sick. Vanunu breached a state secrets act, he publicly revealed classified information. This is a punishable crime everywhere. Brits have committed this crime and served time as a result, as have Americans, as have French citizens and citizens of most countries. Would you consider it acceptable for somebody working for the Spanish government to reveal sensitive information to say Morocco? The simple fact is Vanunu betrayed the trust of the Israeli government. Now I don’t see what that’s got to do with the bravery of the French resistance and the acts of brave citizens in occupied Europe hiding Jews. Are you trying to say that people who do things to harm the State of Israel, like Vanunu are equal to people like the French resistance who did their best to harm the Nazis? The Nazi/Israel comparison is fictitious, offensive and nasty.
    What Nazi/Israeli comparison? :rolleyes:

I mentioned the French resistance for two main reasons: They are a very good example of people working against their 'official' state and government (therefore technically traitors) and they are the ultimate example that betraying your rulers or governments can sometimes be the right thing to do.

Vanunu exposed a government that was illegally acquiring a massive arsenal of nuclear weapons while denying it even had the capacity. Indirectly he also exposed the repugnant biological and chemical programmes Israel had embarked into so happily as well.

By doing so he actually made Israel a safer place (even if that wasn't his intention) since it made the country an 'official' nuclear power- and one nobody would like to mess up with too much. He also exposed both Israel and the USA as disgraceful hypocrites, which can only be a good thing since Israel and the US already have too much advantage and care too little about international law and commitment to justice.