Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Vanunu as Glasgow Uni rector.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well, Glasgow Uni has just elected Mordecai Vanunu as its student rector, the chap who blew the whistle on Isreal's nuclear programme in the 80s.
One two
What do you think about this? Not sure if this will benefit him more than the students of Glasgow, but at least he is someone a bit more integrity than the River City actress who also went for it.

Comments

• Options
    What does such student rector do?

If it's merely a symbolic position, then fair enough, he needs to support himself like everybody else.
    If it's a position that requires competences (which I doubt he has in the educational field) then I oppose inserting him there only for his overall reputation, and not for the competences he posseses.
  • Options
    Vannau is a traitor, the students who voted for him have robbed themselves of any dignity by electing such a loser.
  • Options
    Jac:- Well, the rector is a sort of figure head for the students, it's a position for the 4 ancient unis of Scotland, of which Glasgow is one. They are also supposed to represent the students in certain issues, housing, fees etc etc. So it's a bit of a dual role, neither one or the other.

Disillusioned:- So, telling the international community abotu your country's illegal nuclear arms programme is bad? How so?
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheKingOfGlasgow
    Disillusioned:- So, telling the international community abotu your country's illegal nuclear arms programme is bad? How so?

It's bad because he didn't perfom analingus on the Israeli government, like every good Jew should.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheKingOfGlasgow

Vanunu used illegal methods to pursue a blatantly political agenda and abused his position, he was employed by the State of Israel and broke the confidentiality and discretion expected of somebody in his position.

Someone guilty of the same crime in France or the USA would probably be still in jail for the kind of betrayal Vanunu is guilty of. In China he’d have most certainly been executed, in Iran or Syria he’d have probably been tortured…
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    It's bad because he didn't perfom analingus on the Israeli government, like every good Jew should.

No. It's bad because he let out information which is classified. Just like my dad not being able to tell trade secrets when leaving a company to start working for another.

If it's Israel, or if it's a multinational company, it is seen as traitorous.

So maybe you leave the term of being a good Jew out if it, since it really is none of your concern for the time being.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    If it's Israel, or if it's a multinational company, it is seen as traitorous.

Point is, though, a dangerous state such as Israel cannot build nuclear weapons and then claim it is a "trade secret". It isn't.

It wouldn't be if Iran built weapons.
  • Options
    I think that if we observe history, then we can pretty sure state that Israel would only use them if it was totally necessary, as in protection.

Another thing, I am beginning to wonder, what was the whole "Good Jew" about?
  • Options

The spin, the libel and the "incentives" to be quiet that a lot of anti-Likhudnik Jews suffer. As you well know.

I personally don't trust the state that has the most UN resolutions against it to tell me the time, tbh.
  • Options
    1. You make it sound as if every non-Likhudnik faces death threats on a daily basis.
    2. Again what has this got to do with being a Good Jew?
  • Options
    2. Again what has this got to do with being a Good Jew?

Note the sarcastic use of the term "good Jew".

It has nothing to do with following your religion well, nothing. But if you disagree with the far-right agenda in Israel you are labelled as "bad" by those pushing the far-right agenda.
  • Options
    Note the sarcastic use of the term "good Jew".

It has nothing to do with following your religion well, nothing. But if you disagree with the far-right agenda in Israel you are labelled as "bad" by those pushing the far-right agenda.

I did notice the sarcastic tone. I just don't understand why you had the need to bring it into the discussion at all. For what use?

And the latter is quite obvious. Just like the far-left groupings in Israel, will deem anyone with opinions differing from their own as "bad".
    And that isn't even exclusive for Israel, it happens all over the world :eek:
  • Options
    I did notice the sarcastic tone. I just don't understand why you had the need to bring it into the discussion at all. For what use?

And the latter is quite obvious. Just like the far-left groupings in Israel, will deem anyone with opinions differing from their own as "bad".
    And that isn't even exclusive for Israel, it happens all over the world :eek:

You're wilfully missing the point.

It is the Israeli government that blurs the lines between state and religion, not me.
  • Options
    You're wilfully missing the point.

It is the Israeli government that blurs the lines between state and religion, not me.

No. It's you who brought it up in this thread.
    You (people in general) make so much noise about it, most probably unintentionally, and don't realise that you only add to blowing it all out of proportions.
  • Options
    I think that if we observe history, then we can pretty sure state that Israel would only use them if it was totally necessary, as in protection.

How the fuck would looking at history tell us that Israel would only use them if necessary? That's bullshit of the highest order.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    How the fuck would looking at history tell us that Israel would only use them if necessary? That's bullshit of the highest order.

Because that is the way they have acted througout history.
    And face it, whatever you might believe, Israel's main goal is not to rid the world of Arabs or Muslims or Palestinians or whatever you might think.

So no, that not bullshit of the highest order. Actually it's not bullshit at all.
    You might want to calm down a bit.
  • Options

Look at the history and you will see...

The only time Israel has reacted is in defence of it's borders. I may not agree with their methods, I may believe that they have been heavy handed, but they do tend to react rather than be the agressor...

But that's beside the point. Vanunu was Israeli, he betrayed his own country's state secrets. By definition he is a traitor.

Same goes for any spy, in any nation.

What we have here is a stereotypical response from a student body. In my day they deified Nelson Mandela or Che. Vananu is being used here for the students to make a political point against Israel.
  • Options

Riiight.

Would you care to back any of that up with facts? Or was that just one of your spontaneous posts filled with angry, uninformed and unhelpful tripe?

If you had a decent grasp of the history of this conflict anyway you’d have realised the original post you were responding to made a totally valid and accurate point.
  • Options

So why go to such lengths to deny that there is any nuclear capability?

It's only a deterrent (i.e. for "defence") if someone knows about it.

For the record, I do agree that it would only be used for defensive purposes.
  • Options
    So why go to such lengths to deny that there is any nuclear capability?

It's only a deterrent (i.e. for "defence") if someone knows about it.

For the record, I do agree that it would only be used for defensive purposes.

The US won't give aid to countries with nuclear capabilities or something like that. And while the US knows that Israel has nuclear weapons, then they can't continue giving financial support when it's official. For now they can brush it off by saying that it's all rumours.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    What we have here is a stereotypical response from a student body. In my day they deified Nelson Mandela or Che. Vananu is being used here for the students to make a political point against Israel.

Yup, this is the key point. His appointment is simply an expression of a very widely held anti-Israel bias, which too often is accepted as legitimate without any attempt to be balanced.
  • Options
    Originally posted by nckdn
    Yup, this is the key point. His appointment is simply an expression of a very widely held anti-Israel bias, which too often is accepted as legitimate without any attempt to be balanced.

Legitimate?

Come back when you can speak English.
  • Options
    Legitimate?

Come back when you can speak English.

nckdn actually makes a good point Kermit. The acceptance of the anti-Israel bias that appears to exist in Britain today is worrying, there's no attempt to view the situation from a balanced perspective and consider both sides.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Disillusioned
    Vanunu used illegal methods to pursue a blatantly political agenda and abused his position, he was employed by the State of Israel and broke the confidentiality and discretion expected of somebody in his position.

Someone guilty of the same crime in France or the USA would probably be still in jail for the kind of betrayal Vanunu is guilty of. In China he’d have most certainly been executed, in Iran or Syria he’d have probably been tortured…
    Or Katharine Gunn, who betrayed the confidence of Britain's GCHQ, by revealing that they'd been listening in on Koffi Annan's phone conversations. We (at least, the ordinary citizens) seem to value whistle blowers, though...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Disillusioned
    nckdn actually makes a good point Kermit.

He hasn't made a good point since he joined.

You might not agree that Israel is <i>wrong</i> for what it does, but you cannot claim that criticism of the modus operandi and agenda of Israel and the IDF is not "legitimate". It quite blatantly is.
  • Options
    The US won't give aid to countries with nuclear capabilities or something like that. And while the US knows that Israel has nuclear weapons, then they can't continue giving financial support when it's official. For now they can brush it off by saying that it's all rumours.

why lock up the guy for breaking secrecy laws then if he said they had :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Uncle Joe
    Or Katharine Gunn, who betrayed the confidence of Britain's GCHQ, by revealing that they'd been listening in on Koffi Annan's phone conversations. We (at least, the ordinary citizens) seem to value whistle blowers, though...

Nah, some of us saw that as betrayal too ;)
  • Options
    He hasn't made a good point since he joined.

You might not agree that Israel is <i>wrong</i> for what it does, but you cannot claim that criticism of the modus operandi and agenda of Israel and the IDF is not "legitimate". It quite blatantly is.

Criticism of Israel, after carefully assessing it's policies is of course legitimate (I never said otherwise) and perhaps justified (I think it is), but I doubt that any real analysis on the part of most of the students preceded Vanunu's appointment. That's the point Kermit. Israel / Palestine is one of those issues where many people, without any real interest or knowledge just go with the flow and sign up to the accepted, even the only acceptable(!) viewpoint. Just as with the deification of scum like Mandela and Che (or Churchill, Martin Luther King, Gandhi, Einstein, Mother Theresa and so on). They may be sheeple being lead in the right direction, but they're still sheeple. That was my point.
  • Options
    Why do you say that Mandela is scum?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Nah, some of us saw that as betrayal too ;)
    I never said it wasn't a betrayal (see above). But was it a betrayal you disapproved of? I didn't, because she was betraying those who wished to prosecute an illegal war. Only a jingoistic 'my country, right or wrong' type would think otherwise ;)