Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Vanunu as Glasgow Uni rector.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Why do you say that Mandela is scum?

Is he another of your sacred cows? His approval of the Church Street massacre alone is enough to convict him of scumhood in my book.
  • Options
    Originally posted by nckdn
    Is he another of your sacred cows? His approval of the Church Street massacre alone is enough to convict him of scumhood in my book.

I'm asking you a question and you turn it into a battle. Whats the matter with you?

People do horrible things in a war. That doesn't necessarily make them "scum".

As for my opinion of Mandela? I don't have one either way.
  • Options
    People do horrible things in a war. That doesn't necessarily make them "scum".

Deliberate targetting of civilians can be justified? The word scum is too harsh a label for such people?
  • Options
    I'm not condemning nor condoning. But to label someone as "scum" is simplistic in the extreme.
  • Options
    I'm not condemning nor condoning. But to label someone as "scum" is simplistic in the extreme.

Funny that you comment on the words usage the 67889th time it's been mentioned in this forum, and never before...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Uncle Joe
    I never said it wasn't a betrayal (see above). But was it a betrayal you disapproved of? I didn't, because she was betraying those who wished to prosecute an illegal war. Only a jingoistic 'my country, right or wrong' type would think otherwise ;)

No, I don't think my country right or wrong.

I do think that it was wrong to give away intelligence details like this. Nothing was gained from her action other than to highlight that the UK spies.

We were listening in to Koffi, so what?
  • Options

I have a hunch that you'd condemn Ariel Sharon if he condoned the targetted bombing of Palestinian civilians in rush hour, and wouldn't argue with someone who labelled him scum.
  • Options
    *utterly baffled*

Comparing Sharon and Mandela is absurd.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Funny that you comment on the words usage the 67889th time it's been mentioned in this forum, and never before...

:rolleyes:

Can you not see that simply condemning Mandela as "scum" for one thing is absurd, given the situation in South Africa at the time and all the other things Mandela has done and stands for?
  • Options

Apart from giving us some insight into the rabid rancid racist literature your sully your already dirty mind with, theres no evidence that Mandela approved of the bombing, is there?

:)
  • Options
    *utterly baffled*

Comparing Sharon and Mandela is absurd.

I didn't compare Mandela and Sharon, and I think you understood that. I suggested that you might have double standards about their issues and behaviour. You haven't denied it.

freethepeeps- Mandela still does not condemn such acts as the 'Church Street Massacre', the slaughter of Zulus at Shell House (is the 'racist' accusation the first resort of bigots on this site?) or other terrorist atrocities. Pull your head out of the ground and be even-handed and critical about Blacks (and Whites, Inuits, Maoris or whatever), as you are so pathologically critical of Israel. Amnesty International declared in 1985 that scumbag Mandela was no longer to be considered a 'political prisoner' because he 'participated in planning acts of sabotage (terrorism!-nckdn) and inciting violence'. It's a reasonable viewpoint and you're unreasonable to imply that I'm racist. Please reconsider your rash judgement of me.
  • Options
    *even more baffled*

You brought Sharon up, therefore you must have thought it was a useful comparison.
  • Options
    *even more baffled*

You brought Sharon up, therefore you must have thought it was a useful comparison.

You're not *even more baffled*. You're dishonest.
  • Options
    Eh? :confused:

You're trying to compare what you think my opinion of Sharon is to what you think my opinion of Mandela is. How do you get from that absurd comparison of two totally different people in two totally different political situations, to calling me a liar? :confused::confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    Just as with the deification of scum like Mandela and Che (or Churchill, Martin Luther King, Gandhi, Einstein, Mother Theresa and so on). They may be sheeple being lead in the right direction, but they're still sheeple. That was my point.

Why don't you like Martin Luther King? Einstein?

I guess some disagree with Martin Luther King. I know if his logic quite a few people here would be classed as anti-Semitic...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    No, I don't think my country right or wrong.

I do think that it was wrong to give away intelligence details like this. Nothing was gained from her action other than to highlight that the UK spies.

We were listening in to Koffi, so what?
    The supposition, and it's a very credible supposition, is that 'we' were trying to trawl up something that would undermine the credibility of the UN, a key objective with the efforts to justify an invasion of Iraq suffering serial setbacks. Namely, some evidence that Annan was in cahoots with the Iraqis. Such eavesdropping is perfectly understandable behaviour for someone who believes that the UN does more harm than good, and that we'd all be better of without it. I don't subscribe to that belief, so I think that the UN head should have his privacy respected, rather than some rather morally ambiguous characters making free with his confidences.

Additionally, it's not as if Gunn's revelation has imperilled the lives of any field agents, which is the usual accusation made against 'traitors'.
  • Options
    Eh? :confused:

You're trying to compare what you think my opinion of Sharon is to what you think my opinion of Mandela is. How do you get from that absurd comparison of two totally different people in two totally different political situations, to calling me a liar? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

I post : "I didn't compare Mandela and Sharon.."
    You post in response: "...absurd comparison of two blah blah..."

To which I charge that your continued responses avoiding the meat of my posts, do suggest (I say again) that you're being dishonest. Read back the thread and see if I'm being fair. I only said you were being dishonest after you'd avoided the meat five (!) times in one thread.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Disillusioned
    Why don't you like Martin Luther King? Einstein?

I guess some disagree with Martin Luther King. I know if his logic quite a few people here would be classed as anti-Semitic...

Google their names with 'plagiarist'.
  • Options
    Why do you think the students wanted Vanunu for an essentially bogus symbolic role Blagsta? Is it possible he's a bogus symbol of bogus sentiment?
  • Options
    Disillusioned I love Jews and love that you're always jumping to defend them, but MLK the communist clown isn't a great cover for defending Jews (particularly), and Einstein isn't a great Jew worth defending.
  • Options
    I post : "I didn't compare Mandela and Sharon.."
    You post in response: "...absurd comparison of two blah blah..."

To which I charge that your continued responses avoiding the meat of my posts, do suggest (I say again) that you're being dishonest. Read back the thread and see if I'm being fair. I only said you were being dishonest after you'd avoided the meat five (!) times in one thread.

Stop wiggling you little worm. You have compared what I might think about Sharon and Mandela by the very fact of bringing Sharon up in this context. Try thinking about what you write next time.

Where am I being dishonest?
  • Options
    Google their names with 'plagiarist'.

Oh dear.
  • Options
    Disillusioned I love Jews and love that you're always jumping to defend them, but MLK the communist clown isn't a great cover for defending Jews (particularly), and Einstein isn't a great Jew worth defending.

You fash always reveal yourselves due to your stupidity.
  • Options

freethepeeps- Mandela still does not condemn such acts as the 'Church Street Massacre', the slaughter of Zulus at Shell House (is the 'racist' accusation the first resort of bigots on this site?) or other terrorist atrocities. Pull your head out of the ground and be even-handed and critical about Blacks (and Whites, Inuits, Maoris or whatever), as you are so pathologically critical of Israel. Amnesty International declared in 1985 that scumbag Mandela was no longer to be considered a 'political prisoner' because he 'participated in planning acts of sabotage (terrorism!-nckdn) and inciting violence'. It's a reasonable viewpoint and you're unreasonable to imply that I'm racist. Please reconsider your rash judgement of me.

Hee hee - criticism of Israel = anti-semitism. And no doubt the Jews who criticise Israel hate themselves right?

Its about time you learnt to tell the difference between an ethnic (in the loosest sense of the term) group and an out of control landgrabbing state that commits acts of genocide on a daily basis. It really isn't very difficult to work out.........

You're confusing Amnesty Internationals narrow definition of "prisoners of conscience", with their support for Mandela - they never stopped campaigning for his release.......

You read the scummiest literature. No doubt you think that Mandela should have doffed his cap to the Bwana and accepted the indignity that your racist white heroes felt entitled to inflict on Mandela and the indigenous peoples of South Africa. Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one - I have no desire to visit the grubbier reaches of your racist mindset.

Bye bye.
    Originally posted by Disillusioned

That speech is almost definitely an hoax

Anyways, I refer the right honourable gentleman to my answer above. Were MLK alive today I am sure he would express disquiet at the way that Israel treats the Palestinians in the West Bank, Gaza and Israel.

;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Uncle Joe
    The supposition, and it's a very credible supposition, is that 'we' were trying to trawl up something that would undermine the credibility of the UN, a key objective with the efforts to justify an invasion of Iraq suffering serial setbacks. Namely, some evidence that Annan was in cahoots with the Iraqis. Such eavesdropping is perfectly understandable behaviour for someone who believes that the UN does more harm than good, and that we'd all be better of without it. I don't subscribe to that belief, so I think that the UN head should have his privacy respected, rather than some rather morally ambiguous characters making free with his confidences.

Additionally, it's not as if Gunn's revelation has imperilled the lives of any field agents, which is the usual accusation made against 'traitors'.

The fundamental role of the intelligence services is to gather information so that our "leaders" are able to make informed decisions.

When you dealing at the highest levels of politics you should not consider yourself immune from spying. Koffi included.

That our leaders make poor decision inspite of the intelligence services is another thing ;)

Gunn's disclosures certainly didn't imperil lives on this occasion. But that doesn't change the fact that she is a traitor.
  • Options
    Re: Vanunu as Glasgow Uni rector.
    Originally posted by TheKingOfGlasgow
    Well, Glasgow Uni has just elected Mordecai Vanunu as its student rector, the chap who blew the whistle on Isreal's nuclear programme in the 80s.
    One two
    What do you think about this?
    Absolute class King. Congrats to Glasgow Uni.

So who the fuck has got a beef about this appointment then?
  • Options
    glasgow has a university?
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG
    glasgow has a university?
    Obviously an interbred yokel who finds it hard to inter-connect with anything outwith its own narrow village idiot personna

Once again...congrats to all at Glasgow Uni :)

Any more info on Vanunu would be most welcome btw
  • Options
    im a local, but local to an english place
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG
    im a local, but local to an english place
    That's what I was alluding to numbnuts.

Now stop your dribbling village boy and behave