Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

teenager gets 6 months in young offenders for using video phone in court

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I didnt know wether to start a new thread or put my thoughts here so here goes anyway.

Im confused as to why a judge can give a 6 month sentence for this crime yet in the case of a rape or something like that give 2 years....ish.
    Why do they work like this ? I mean this lad here didnt actually hurt anyone :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    I didnt know wether to start a new thread or put my thoughts here so here goes anyway.

Im confused as to why a judge can give a 6 month sentence for this crime yet in the case of a rape or something like that give 2 years....ish.
    Why do they work like this ? I mean this lad here didnt actually hurt anyone :confused:
    I'd have thought that rape would be more than two years...

But someone earlier asked whether the stiff penalty was due to the fact that the court itself was the victim. I can see that point.
  • Options

I agree. I've always thought sentencing in this country to be rather bizarre. I was just discussing this with my mum (she had a little chuckle at some of the views expressed here) and she asked why people who mug elderly people, or break into people's homes are often let off with a caution?

12 year olds who terrorise who neighbourhoods with their anti-social behaviour sometimes seem beyond the law, and yet this lad gets an actual custodial sentence. I think this is the reason many people here have expressed concern at the sentence passed.
  • Options

but he broke the law BB and according to some in here ...breaking the should always result in sitting ina fucking cell!
    everyone of us breaks the law ...i can't wait for luke to leave home ...get a car ...a job ...etc etc ...then i will be screaming for his imprisonment the minute he takes a cash bonus off his boss or drives at 32 ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish

But someone earlier asked whether the stiff penalty was due to the fact that the court itself was the victim. I can see that point.

Yeah, that was me. The way I see it (and I can't put it eloquently so bear with me!) is that the judge thought to himself 'hang on, how dare this lad do this in my courtroom! Grrr! What can I do about it? Ah, I know, I can punish him harshly, to make me, the victim feel better!' (said in suitably gruff judge-esque style voice much like the judge in The Simpsons)
  • Options
    Not quite like that, more of a crime against the system itself and the crown, and that is serious.
  • Options
    I'd have thought that rape would be more than two years...

I did add ish on the end...maybe I did over exagerate a bit, but you get the gist of what I mean.

It just seems so pathetic to me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    (said in suitably gruff judge-esque style voice much like the judge in The Simpsons)
    well done ...i can see the bifocals and wig and robe ...i can even smell the whiskey soaked breath!
  • Options
    (said in suitably gruff judge-esque style voice much like the judge in The Simpsons)
    Yeah, the Grrr! made it convincing for me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    light crimes: moths in priso.... community work etc
    hard crimes: forever in prisonor massive years

Who decides which crime fits into which category though?

And why should months in prison be akin to a community sentence?
  • Options
    so ...i'm going to start a new thread ...FAO LUKE ...please answer honestly.
  • Options
    Is prison there to punish or rehabilitate?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Not quite like that, more of a crime against the system itself and the crown, and that is serious.

but who did he physically hurt ?
  • Options

Well, heres the kicker, the same judge gave a 17 year old who slept with an 11 year old a 2 year conditional discharge.

:eek2:
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    i know it doesn't happen often but ...thankyou.

aaawwwwwww :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by freethepeeps
    Well, heres the kicker, the same judgegave a 17 year old who slept with an 11 year old a 2 year conditional discharge.

:eek2:

Decisions such as those would make most people question this man's capabilities.
  • Options
    Decisions such as those would make most people question this man's capabilities.
    most judges have never lived in the same reality as most people.
  • Options
    On the surface yes, but we don't know any details of the case so I shall abstain from judgement on that one.
  • Options
    On the surface yes, but we don't know any details of the case so I shall abstain from judgement on that one.

Point taken. :)
  • Options
    Fucking moron.

Maybe now he'll realise that a Crown Court is not a place to "have a laugh". Stupid people should be banned.
  • Options
    Originally posted by NaCN
    Fucking moron.

Maybe now he'll realise that a Crown Court is not a place to "have a laugh". Stupid people should be banned.
    banned?
    from freedom to make stupid mistakes?
    banned from being human?
    banned and sent off to the gulag for the most minor of infringements against the state ....
    imprisoned for ...breaking every and any law?
    a grocers scales are slightly out from wear ...instead of a 100 gramms you recieved 98 ...he should go to jail?
    parking in a dangerous place ...
    evading a hundred and twenty quid on tax or vat ...should mean jail?
  • Options
    i'm off to my bed ...having consumed about two quids worth of an illegal substance and four cans of beer.
    i shall sleep soundly knowing the nutters haven't yet taken control ....but worrying that they are ...more and more slowly gaining power ...cos of some you peoples thinking ...meaning i can know that i risk being imprisoned for my behaviour and beliefs.
    some of you ...are helping to build something far bigger and more repressive than stalin could ever have dreamed possible.
    sleep well ...while you can ...goodnight and god bless.
  • Options
    I wonder how young Luke would react if he was sent to jail for, say, insulting somebody during an argument.

Break the law, face the consequences eh Luke?

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    I wonder how young Luke would react if he was sent to jail for, say, insulting somebody during an argument.

Break the law, face the consequences eh Luke?

:rolleyes:

Except insulting somebody in an argument isn’t illegal. Freedom of speech. :)

Taking photos in a courtroom however is illegal.

And er Luke’s also been insulted many times in an argument himself on here so if Luke was punished for that it would be inconsistent for so many other people here not to be also punished…

I do think however 6 months seems a bit harsh, people commit far more serious crimes than that and get less than 6 months. I dunno how long this guy should have got, a month or so would have had the same effect.
  • Options
    As far as I know insulting someone constitutes verbal assault and it is indeed a crime, whether it is in an argument or not.

If calling Tony Blair a cunt weren't illegal it'd be on the front pages of most newspapers every day.
  • Options
    Oh good. So, given your proud zero tolerance towards crime, would you agree if a judge sentenced you to a few months in prison for insulting someone?

If you say no, you'd be a massive hypocrite.
  • Options
    You don't think a 6-month sentence for using a video phone in court is daft though?

Where do you draw the line Luke? If we were to give anyone who commits any crime a life sentence without parole, the rest of the population would learn soon enough to behave. Do you think that'd be a good idea?
  • Options
    does lukesh realise that the entire trial had to be started again, at much and huge cost to the taxpayer
  • Options
    does lukesh realise that the entire trial had to be started again, at much and huge cost to the taxpayer
    no doubt and the guy should be punished accoringly.

Perhaps a lengthy community service order and/or hefty fine.

How much more is this now going to cost the tax payer.

ridiculous sentence, clear and away the most over the top and in appropriate sanction i have seen yet under english justice (no doubt theres worse out there but this is clearly a ridiculous sentance).
  • Options
    i liked the idea of him digging and sorting out old peoples back gardens that was mentioned earlier, give the weedy boy some muscles and respect for his peers