Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Caring folk?!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Other than mine, which ones?

pretty much just yours.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    pretty much just yours.

What about the one that the lovely kermie has highlighted?
  • Options
    I understand the sentiment that that money could have been spent on something more "worthwhile", but I believe that only the donor has the right to decide what is worthwhile and what is not.

I donate money to St Gemma's, CAFOD and CHUF. Quite a lot of people would disagree with the first two, fewer would disagree with the latter charity but even so, why should we spend money on a heart unit when kids don't have clean water?

The donor has the right to decide what cause is the most worthy of his hard-earned wedge. Insulting him for his charity is simply not on, IMHO.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Madgal99
    Indeed. This is true. Maybe people could get their head around this point before they try and belittle people with different points of view to theirs.
    No one's belittling you or anyone else. They are challenging your view, which is perfectly legitimate. It's up to you to defend it or back down.

I really don't think it's worth getting your knickers in a twist over.
  • Options
    Maybe people could get their head around this point before they try and belittle people with different points of view to theirs.

Said by the woman who attacked the Mansfield donors as "shallow" and "wasting their money on a shithole".

Oh, the irony.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    I understand the sentiment that that money could have been spent on something more "worthwhile", but I believe that only the donor has the right to decide what is worthwhile and what is not.

I donate money to St Gemma's, CAFOD and CHUF. Quite a lot of people would disagree with the first two, fewer would disagree with the latter charity but even so, why should we spend money on a heart unit when kids don't have clean water?

The donor has the right to decide what cause is the most worthy of his hard-earned wedge. Insulting him for his charity is simply not on, IMHO.

Ok, I maybe went about it the wrong way but I'm sure I got my point of view across. I don't believe the lights fund is a charity, therefore it isn't worthwhile in my opinion. It's all a bunch of sentimental bullshit. I just feel that people miss the point a great deal.
  • Options
    Ok, I maybe went about it the wrong way but I'm sure I got my point of view across. I don't believe the lights fund is a charity, therefore it isn't worthwhile in my opinion. It's all a bunch of sentimental bullshit. I just feel that people miss the point a great deal.

That depends entirly upon how important you think christmas is.
  • Options
    What about the one that the lovely kermie has highlighted?

opinion, which she is entitled to. not a personal insult.

if she went up to a specific person in mansfield and said 'you are a shallow arsehole', then i'd have a problem with it.
  • Options
    Said by the woman who attacked the Mansfield donors as "shallow" and "wasting their money on a shithole".

Oh, the irony.

I don't feel these statements were belittling anyone.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    opinion, which she is entitled to. not a personal insult.

if she went up to a specific person in mansfield and said 'you are a shallow arsehole', then i'd have a problem with it.

Can't say I've ever done this, maybe felt like it from time to time but have never done it.
  • Options
    I don't feel these statements were belittling anyone.
    Apart from the shallow wasters and everyone who lives in Mansfield... :lol:

Give it up chuck :)
  • Options
    I just feel that people miss the point a great deal.

The point of what, exactly?

You don't know what else they donated to, you don't know what else they feel strongly about. Just because they disagree with your idea of "worthwhile" doesn't mean that they "miss the point", it just means that they don't agree with your idea of "worthwhile".

Why do you think that your idea of "worthwhile" takes precedence over somebody else's?
  • Options

Oh I think christmas can be extremely important if you have people to share it with but it's not about the material things in my mind.
  • Options
    entirly
    Uh-oh. I spy a spelling error.

sp x10
  • Options

Oh I think christmas can be extremely important if you have people to share it with but it's not about the material stuff in my mind.
  • Options
    Oh I think christmas can be extremely important if you have people to share it with but it's not about the material things in my mind.

So, spending money, to spread the word that this is a time of year for family, friends and generosity, and to celebrate the birth of the saviour of all mankind. Not a good enough reason?
  • Options
    So, spending money, to spread the word that this is a time of year for family, friends and generosity, and to celebrate the birth of the saviour of all mankind. Not a good enough reason?

Ha! It may be about celebrating the birth of jesus christ our saviour but I think that's a load of bullshit as well.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    Uh-oh. I spy a spelling error.

sp x10

crap

crapcrapcrapcrapcrap.

I hate the letter 'e'. It's official.
  • Options
    Ha! It may be about celebrating the birth of jesus christ our saviour but I think that's a load of bullshit as well.

dingdingdingdingding. You've hit the belittling other people alarm. Not really for you to judge is it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    Apart from the shallow wasters and everyone who lives in Mansfield... :lol:

Give it up chuck :)

I think that's probably the best advice I've recieved all day.
  • Options
    dingdingdingdingding. You've hit the belittling other people alarm. Not really for you to judge is it.

I'm not particularly judging anyone. I think Christianity is so hypocritical it's beyond belief but that's a whole different debate.
  • Options
    I'm not particularly judging anyone. I think Christianity is so hypocritical it's beyond belief but that's a whole different debate.

No, actually, saying you think it's a load of bullshit is belittling someone else's belief, and saying that's a reason to stop them from giving money to christmas lights is judgement. What really makes me wonder, is why people think christianity is hypocritical, and no other faith is...
  • Options

There you go again, thinking that your beliefs are better than everyone else's.
  • Options
    There you go again, thinking that your beliefs are better than everyone else's.

I never once said my beliefs are better than anyone's.
  • Options
    I never once said my beliefs are better than anyone's.

No, you did.
  • Options
    No, actually, saying you think it's a load of bullshit is belittling someone else's belief, and saying that's a reason to stop them from giving money to christmas lights is judgement. What really makes me wonder, is why people think christianity is hypocritical, and no other faith is...

You've taken me the wrong way love. I didn't say that it should stop anyone from giving some money to a lights fund and I highlighted christianity because that was the religion we were referring to.
  • Options
    You've taken me the wrong way love. I didn't say that it should stop anyone from giving some money to a lights fund and I highlighted christianity because that was the religion we were referring to.

No, I havn't taken you the wrong way at all. Everything you've said has highlighted your own high-horse and dismissive attitude to anyone else's point of view.
  • Options
    No, you did.

I'm not going to do the - 'you did. I didn't' thing because it's not very productive is it? I don't think my beliefs are better than anyone else's. I have my beliefs, you have yours and we'll all be happy together. ;)
  • Options
    I'm not going to do the - 'you did. I didn't' thing because it's not very productive is it? I don't think my beliefs are better than anyone else's. I have my beliefs, you have yours and we'll all be happy together. ;)

well I'm glad you've managed to TOTALLY change your point of view in such a short space of time.
  • Options
    No, I havn't taken you the wrong way at all. Everything you've said has highlighted your own high-horse and dismissive attitude to anyone else's point of view.

And you're telling me you've never been that high you couldn't get back down again? :yeees: