Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Caring folk?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was really quite sickened to read this in a nottinghamshire paper how can they call themselves caring folk? £25,000 to switch on some damn christmas lights and they think they're caring. It makes me so angry, these people are so shallow. When it comes to a good cause they'd be lucky to raise £50 :mad:

Comments

• Options
    As they say in France: bof
  • Options
    There's a vicar of dibley episode this has reminded me of. They raise £50,000 for a new stained glass window for the church, but there's been an earthquake, and lots of people in foriegn country (can't remember what it was in the show) were in a really shit way. So they spent £600 quid getting a clear glass window, and gave the rest to the charity. That's how it should be.
  • Options
    Sorry, did you have a point there?

What gives you the right to decide what charities and good causes people donate to?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Sorry, did you have a point there?

What gives you the right to decide what charities and good causes people donate to?

So an event like switching on some christmas lights is a good cause or a charity?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Madgal99
    So an event like switching on some christmas lights is a good cause or a charity?

For some people yes, for others no.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    For some people yes, for others no.

All I can say is good luck to those people then. The only word that comes to mind though, is shallow.
  • Options

What's so shallow about civic pride?

Just because you don't have any doesn't mean that those people are "shallow" for footing the bill for their town's Christmas festivities.

It's great to see that sanctimoniousness is alive and well.
  • Options
    i've been to mansfield, and i don't blame them :p

serious though, it's their money. let them spend it or give it away any way they see fit.

it seems kinda silly to me, but considering how many clothes i've bought this year, i don't think i'm in a position to call anyone shallow. you know?
  • Options
    It's like, I donate money to St Gemma's Hospice in Leeds, and obviously that is "shallow" because it isnt saving people, its pampering them on their deathbed.

I seriously doubt you are in a position to call anyone else shallow, magdal. Few are.
  • Options
    All I can say is good luck to those people then. The only word that comes to mind though, is shallow.

shallow for wanting Christmas decorations?

expect the Ghost of Christmas past to come visiting sometime soon...;)
  • Options
    What's so shallow about civic pride?

Just because you don't have any doesn't mean that those people are "shallow" for footing the bill for their town's Christmas festivities.

It's great to see that sanctimoniousness is alive and well.

Yet, in the same paper, the week before - "THE caring sister of a courageous Mansfield Woodhouse schoolboy suffering from a brain tumour for a third time is launching a fundraising drive to help raise awareness of the disease."

I wonder how much she'll raise. Probably nowhere near £25,000.
  • Options
    It's like, I donate money to St Gemma's Hospice in Leeds, and obviously that is "shallow" because it isnt saving people, its pampering them on their deathbed.

I seriously doubt you are in a position to call anyone else shallow, magdal. Few are.

Oh yeah, of course I'd call that shallow :rolleyes: I'm really evil for thinking it's a complete waste of money. What I don't understand is how they can call themselves caring?
  • Options
    Yet, in the same paper, the week before - "THE caring sister of a courageous Mansfield Woodhouse schoolboy suffering from a brain tumour for a third time is launching a fundraising drive to help raise awareness of the disease."

Depends on how many people come forward to help with the fundraising, maybe you should volunteer.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    Depends on how many people come forward to help with the fundraising, maybe you should volunteer.

Maybe I should.
  • Options

Which is the better use of money: "raising awareness" of a vanishingly rare brain tumour, or cheering people up as they do their Christmas shopping in Mansfield?

I see your point, but the world is more complicated than that. As Kermit said, don't underestimate civic pride.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, of course I'd call that shallow :rolleyes: I'm really evil for thinking it's a complete waste of money. What I don't understand is how they can call themselves caring?

you don't know how much money they gave to other causes.

is it still shallow if someone gave £10 to the lights fund and £150 to a children's charity?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    Which is the better use of money: "raising awareness" of a vanishingly rare brain tumour, or cheering people up as they do their Christmas shopping in Mansfield?

I see your point, but the world is more complicated than that. As Kermit said, don't underestimate civic pride.

I don't really see that Mansfield have much to be proud of, in my personal opinion, it's the arsehole of britain, excuse my language. Or maybe it's one of many. This is only in my experience of course.
  • Options
    I don't really see that Mansfield have much to be proud of, in my personal opinion, it's the arsehole of britain, excuse my language. Or maybe it's one of many. This is only in my experience of course.
    Well maybe a few sparkly lights is what's needed then.
  • Options
    Well maybe a few sparkly lights is what's needed then.

Yes I'm sure it'll make many people feel all warm inside and I'm happy for them.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    you don't know how much money they gave to other causes.

is it still shallow if someone gave £10 to the lights fund and £150 to a children's charity?

Granted, I don't really know how much money they give to other causes but I'm willing to bet it wouldn't come to that much. I think a children's charity would benefit more from the money than the lights fund.
  • Options
    That depends on the 'charity'.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    That depends on the 'charity'.

What depends on the charity?
  • Options
    What depends on the charity?

One whether they'd benefit more than this christmas light fund. I quite like pretty lights in town to be honest.
  • Options
    Granted, I don't really know how much money they give to other causes but I'm willing to bet it wouldn't come to that much.

i think you'd be surprised. the hospice Kermit mentioned isn't a big charity, but they still make more than £11,000 every day.

the big, national charities (RSPCA, Cancer research, etc, etc) make a lot more than that.

people are more generous than you think.

I think a children's charity would benefit more from the money than the lights fund.

i don't think anyone's disagreeing. the point is, that's not your decision to make. those people earn their money, and so they're free to spend it any way they want.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin i don't think anyone's disagreeing. the point is, that's not your decision to make. those people earn their money, and so they're free to spend it any way they want. [/B]

Yes I agree totally that it's their money to spend as they wish but it's just Mansfield all over. I myself would rather give my money to something or someone that would benefit, the christmas entertainment and lights will be over and done with in a month and in my opinion that's £25,000 down the drain, maybe I have my priorities wrong.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    i don't think anyone's disagreeing.
    I am. I put it to you that the Christmas lights will do as much good as a charity seeking to raise awareness of a rare medical condition based on one child's death. Heartless though it may sound, just because something is called a charity doesn't mean it does any good, or deserves funding.
  • Options
    I am. I put it to you that the Christmas lights will do as much good as a charity seeking to raise awareness of a rare medical condition based on one child's death. Heartless though it may sound, just because something is called a charity doesn't mean it does any good, or deserves funding.

The child isn't dead though. And I'm also willing to bet he isn't the only one who has suffered from this, there will be other people. As I've already said, the christmas celebrations will be over and done with in a month, that child may still be alive and suffering as well as others.
  • Options
    Depends how important you think christmas is.
  • Options
    Economicaslly speaking, donating to the Christmas Lights appeal is a good investment.

People will come in to Mansfield, people will spend, putting money into the economy there. That money will then be donated again to someone else, somewhere else.

You see it as a waste of money, so don't donate to it. But you have no right to attack other people for thinking it is a charity worth donating to.

Most people who donate to charity don't just donate to one or two charities. I personally donate to three or four, when I have the money, and no doubt I would be attacked for at least two of the charities I sometimes give to.
  • Options
    The child isn't dead though. And I'm also willing to bet he isn't the only one who has suffered from this, there will be other people. As I've already said, the christmas celebrations will be over and done with in a month, that child may still be alive and suffering as well as others.
    OK, but how is £25,000 going to prevent kids getting brain tumours?

The Christmas lights can be used next year, they might encourage spending in Mansfield which will improve the town, they might encourage people to give to charity. Would you rather a dreary town centre at Christmas? It is a celebration afterall.