Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Caring folk?!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Madgal99
    As I've already said, the christmas celebrations will be over and done with in a month, that child may still be alive and suffering as well as others.

Why is one kid's brain tumour more important than an entire town's Christmas festivities though?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Economicaslly speaking, donating to the Christmas Lights appeal is a good investment.

People will come in to Mansfield, people will spend, putting money into the economy there. That money will then be donated again to someone else, somewhere else.

You see it as a waste of money, so don't donate to it. But you have no right to attack other people for thinking it is a charity worth donating to.

Most people who donate to charity don't just donate to one or two charities. I personally donate to three or four, when I have the money, and no doubt I would be attacked for at least two of the charities I sometimes give to.

I'm not attacking anyone, but I don't see it as a charity. Mansfield's a waste of space, how could they possibly think that some christmas lights will make it any more attractive?
  • Options
    Why is one kid's brain tumour more important than an entire town's Christmas festivities though?

I'm sure they could have some sort of christmas celebrations for a lot less than 25 grand. I'm not saying one kids brain tumour is more important, I'm just saying I think there are more worthwhile things to donate money to but who am I to say anything :yeees:
  • Options
    I'm not attacking anyone, but I don't see it as a charity. Mansfield's a waste of space, how could they possibly think that some christmas lights will make it any more attractive?

If it's that much of a toilet, then surely anything (nice) will make it more attractive.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    OK, but how is £25,000 going to prevent kids getting brain tumours?

The Christmas lights can be used next year, they might encourage spending in Mansfield which will improve the town, they might encourage people to give to charity. Would you rather a dreary town centre at Christmas? It is a celebration afterall.

The place is a hellhole, it'll take a lot more than some lights to make it a better place.
  • Options
    The place is a hellhole, it'll take a lot more than some lights to make it a better place.

well, it would be with grumpy shites like you living there.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    well, it would be with grumpy shites like you living there.

Did I ever say I lived in Mansfield, nope, not to my recollection. I don't happen to be particularly grumpy either, I just have some set views about things, as most people do.
  • Options
    I'm sure they could have some sort of christmas celebrations for a lot less than 25 grand.

Probably not, electricity doesn't grow on trees.

It's great to see your civic pride in full glow, btw. At least someone cares about that town, even if it isn't you.
  • Options
    Probably not, electricity doesn't grow on trees.

It's great to see your civic pride in full glow, btw. At least someone cares about that town, even if it isn't you.

No I'm sure electricity doesn't grow on trees. I don't give a shit about the town myself and for anyone that does, I feel for them greatly.
  • Options
    and a merry bloody christmas to you too.

Christmas pie anyone?
  • Options
    I don't give a shit about the town myself and for anyone that does, I feel for them greatly.

Well that, like this entire thread, says far more about your sanctimoniousness then anything else.
  • Options
    and a merry bloody christmas to you too.

Christmas pie anyone?

Thank you muchly.
  • Options
    I don't give a shit about the town myself and for anyone that does, I feel for them greatly.

If you don't give a shit about the town, why make a thread on it?

They probably care because they live there. Nothing wrong with that.
  • Options
    Well that, like this entire thread, says far more about your sanctimoniousness then anything else.

Oh I'm sure it does. What a pointless thread indeed. No one's ever done that before.
  • Options
    Originally posted by NaCN
    If you don't give a shit about the town, why make a thread on it?

They probably care because they live there. Nothing wrong with that.

Probably because it makes me angry to think they can raise £25,000 for some lights and be proud of themselves when there are much more worthwhile things out there that desperately need funding but as I said, who am I to have a point of view?
  • Options
    You'd best stop posting it then... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    and you wonder why people don't like coming in here.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    and you wonder why people don't like coming in here.

true. but really, if you've already posted your opinion 16 times, and each time someone's come up with a different yet valid arguement, and for the last 15 times you've ended with 'who am I to have an opinion...' why bother posting it up again?
  • Options
    You'd best stop posting it then... :rolleyes:

Maybe I should but then again, maybe I won't. If this was such a pointless thread, I'm surprised at the amount of replies it got.
  • Options
    true. but really, if you've already posted your opinion 16 times, and each time someone's come up with a different yet valid arguement, and for the last 15 times you've ended with 'who am I to have an opinion...' why bother posting it up again?

I actually only said that twice and if you read back you'd see that but I'm sure you have much better things to do with your time. Who's to say which points are valid or not. It's all relevant I'm sure.
  • Options

not everyone has mad debating skills. and there's a huge difference between disagreeing with someone and attacking them.

it sounds a lot like she was on the defensive. and i don't blame her.
  • Options
    not everyone has mad debating skills. and there's a huge difference between disagreeing with someone and attacking them.

it sounds a lot like she was on the defensive. and i don't blame her.

Don't blame her why?
  • Options
    Who said it was pointless.

You've got an opinion, good for you. We've disagreed, and said why, and you've thrown your toys out of the pram, saying "obviously I'm wrong, I shouldn't say anything :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:"

*shrugs shoulders*
  • Options
    Don't blame her why?

because i think some of the replies in this thread were unnecessary.
  • Options
    Who said it was pointless.

You've got an opinion, good for you. We've disagreed, and said why, and you've thrown your toys out of the pram, saying "obviously I'm wrong, I shouldn't say anything :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:"

*shrugs shoulders*

I agree maybe I did spit out my dummy but I'm entitled to once in a while.
  • Options

Other than mine, which ones?
  • Options
    I actually only said that twice and if you read back you'd see that but I'm sure you have much better things to do with your time. Who's to say which points are valid or not. It's all relevant I'm sure.
    You have a valid point of view. Differing points of view were expressed. Your pov was based on your dislike of Mansfield and support of other potential beneficiaries of the £25,000. This was challenged.

Such is the way of Politics & Debate.
  • Options

Starting with "they're shallow", "I really feel for them", and "Mansfield's a shithole, what a waste of money!"...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    You have a valid point of view. Differing points of view were expressed. Your pov was based on your dislike of Mansfield and support of other potential beneficiaries of the £25,000. This was challenged.

Such is the way of Politics & Debate.

Indeed. This is true. Maybe people could get their head around this point before they try and belittle people with different points of view to theirs.
  • Options
    Starting with "they're shallow", "I really feel for them", and "Mansfield's a shithole, what a waste of money!"...

Childish maybe but at least it's clear.