Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

the banning of globe ...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    There are many subjects which are not politics which can be discussed, you dont have to be well informd on the subject you just need to have an opinion. Be prepared to back down if after a debate you realise your argument was wrong, or if after debating someone has changed your point of view then open your arms up and say 'hey, I never thought of it that way'.
    It is not especially easy to admit to being wrong in such an environment. I have often been accused by others of showing inconsistency if I admit that I had the wrong idea about something, or if I change my way of thinking. Maybe I just haven't got the balance right yet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    you dont have to be well informd on the subject you just need to have an opinion. Be prepared to back down if after a debate you realise your argument was wrong, or if after debating someone has changed your point of view then open your arms up and say 'hey, I never thought of it that way'.
    Many people come to these boards with the attitude that THEY are right so everyone else is WRONG........thats bullshit cos we all can change our way of thinking when things are put to us in a different way.
    hear hear.
    Ive learnt plenty from various debates here and elsewhere. I must say I try not to get involved in debates I dont feel i have any prior understanding of, unless its to ask questions rather than debate.
  • Options
    Originally posted by stargalaxy
    It is not especially easy to admit to being wrong in such an environment.

Hey forget about which forum this is, yes some of them are very intelligent people theres no getting away from that but at the end of the day they are no better than anyone else, if they can educate me on something I aint got a clue on then I'll ask them what they mean (even if it is in PM) :lol:

We all make mistakes, even the intelligent people...nobodys perfect.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    I try not to get involved in debates I dont feel i have any prior understanding of, unless its to ask questions rather than debate.

Exactly, we have a choice of which debates to join in with. Ive learned loads of stuff from this forum and I think in mnay ways I discuss things more now than I used to.....I think :D
  • Options
    hic x
  • Options
    you have to have a level of consistancy, but in specific issues its alrite to agree with their point

many of the issues do vary eith what priorities peoples have and ideoligies etc

globe was annoying but he made it fun to debate with lol
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    hear hear.
    Ive learnt plenty from various debates here and elsewhere. I must say I try not to get involved in debates I dont feel i have any prior understanding of, unless its to ask questions rather than debate.

you love arguing with me! :D
  • Options
    If Globe has been banned then it proves what myself and a few others have suspected for a long time: that the mods will only allow people to have an opinion if it fits in with their agenda.

freethepeeps, rabid expletive that that creature is, can label someone a "baby killer" and not even get so much as a warning. why? I'd love to see the justification of that.

Uncle Joe again mentions the "disruptive crumbly" argument, I notice. Using TheSite's demographic, Blagsta, Aladdin, Man of Kent, bongbudda, Clandestine, BeckyBoo, Morroccan Roll, Rainbow Brite, wheresmyplacebo and a few others should be banned. Um, maybe not, eh?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    If Globe has been banned then it proves what myself and a few others have suspected for a long time: that the mods will only allow people to have an opinion if it fits in with their agenda.
    You only have to go back to one of the threads Globe started, like the Iraqi insurgents thread, to see that he hasn't been banned, at least, last I checked. Certainly, MR still hasn't come up with a recent example of a call to ban the former Marine, and if I've missed one, I doubt it was a call that the mods would have had any difficulty resisting.
    freethepeeps, rabid expletive that that creature is, can label someone a "baby killer" and not even get so much as a warning. why? I'd love to see the justification of that.
    Pay attention, as FTPs might gratingly say ;) I've said that numerous people are currently posting in a fashion that may be bad for fostering a wide range of opinions on this board, including yourself, occasionally. Lots of people (well, a good handful) have, IMO, jumped to conclusions about what FTPs is trying to say about Bandaid, and attacked him personally without justification for that reason. On some sites, they'd be looking at 24 hour 'cooling off' bans, with longer durations to follow if they didn't 'fly straight'. Everyone is getting a lot of leeway, so this 'x should be banned if y gets banned' is just raising the temperature to no good purpose.
    Uncle Joe again mentions the "disruptive crumbly" argument, I notice. Using TheSite's demographic, Blagsta, Aladdin, Man of Kent, bongbudda, Clandestine, BeckyBoo, Morroccan Roll, Rainbow Brite, wheresmyplacebo and a few others should be banned. Um, maybe not, eh?
    'Again'? At age 38 last August, I've always been very wary about using an age argument. Even now, I've phrased it pretty mildly. Let me put it another way: Globe gets treated pretty well for a poster outside the Site demographic who suggested that another poster would happily bend over to be anally 'raped' by an enemy. That's the jist of the comment that got him banned (I wasn't around for his previous ban(s?)), and while he came back to claim that it was an unfair ban - and was given the chance to make that claim - it was the moderators' call, and they haven't changed their minds. And he's still allowed to continue posting as 'Globe'. Again, not doing so badly, particularly since he alleges on Mil.com that leftwing sites, as he claims this one to be, don't tolerate conservative views like his.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Uncle Joe
    Everyone is getting a lot of leeway, so this 'x should be banned if y gets banned' is just raising the temperature to no good purpose
    I was going to add 'that some people are espousing' to that part of my post because I don't think it was something that Kermit in particular was suggesting, but I hate editing posts after the deadline for getting a 'This post was edited...' tag has passed. It makes it look like I might have said something hostile that I came to regret with hindsight :)
  • Options
    I like that he's so different. And I have an idea that I'm gonna change him a bit by my point of view someday.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: the banning of globe ...
    His posts either contain arguments, cut and pastes to support his arguments, or a large dose of bile directed at certain posters, notably Jaqueline, who have lost his respect in previous debates.

I never had it to begin with.
    To be honest, I find it quite sad, that he has to go down to that level of personal insults :)
    But what can I say, it says more about him than about me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by freethepeeps
    Hold on a minute - just because you don't like my politics, doesn't make me the same as Thanatos - who is already banned.
    I am banned?

Guess no one bothered to inform me...

Or would that be simply wishful thinking, on your part?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Globe
    I am banned?

Guess no one bothered to inform me...

Or would that be simply wishful thinking, on your part?
    Profile For thanatos Search for all posts by this user.

Date Registered: 07-08-2001
  • Options
    just in case anyone misunderstood this thread ...globe aint banned no one said he was about to be.
    the last couple of weeks there have been attcks on him of a personal nature and many times the metion of banning him or wishing he would get banned ...i was curious as to why thats all.
  • Options
    So it's the 'mention of banning him' now? Apart from me suggesting Globe might be trying to get banned, is there anything else that justifies the use of the words 'many times'? I seem to have missed all that.

Is this the most pointless thread on the board?
  • Options

brings up the question, is it hypocritical of the tolerant to drown the intolerant

and kermit i dont say things to that level..... :p

these extremists as lnog as they dont post stuff that is blatantly false, then they should be allowed to post here
  • Options
    Keep up with things freethepeeps, consider Globes sig........
  • Options

Is this the most pointless thread on the board?
    quite possibly uncle joe ...thanx for contributing.
  • Options
    If a member is banned because they have a view that differs to others, then that cannot be justified in a democratic country. A ban would be unjust and unfair.
  • Options
    If a member is banned because they have a view that differs to others, then that cannot be justified in a democratic country. A ban would be unjust and unfair.
    The funny thing is, that is exactly what they do over at mil.com :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    The funny thing is, that is exactly what they do over at mil.com :D
    The ".com" bit is all you need to look at. This means a website from the USA, not a proper democracy. (Not that we have that here, of course)
  • Options
    Actually stargalaxy, the "mil" is all you need look at. The place where all questioning and dissent is indoctrinated out of a person to make them a more effective drone for the MIC and the corporations for which it fights wars to secure market domination.
  • Options
    It all adds up.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    just in case anyone misunderstood this thread ...globe aint banned no one said he was about to be.
    the last couple of weeks there have been attcks on him of a personal nature and many times the metion of banning him or wishing he would get banned ...i was curious as to why thats all.
    Well you really are taking the biscuit here aintcha. The following quotes are from yourself and directed at me...
    your not bright ...your not funny ...ever considered ending it all?
    just don't see the point in being you. i see even less point in you being here. i see you as something on the bottom of my shoe that i accidently trod in. you are a waste of breath ...and breath is life.
    you are fucking twisted and seriously fucking annoying cnut to the point where ...i would have truly lost it by now in real life and would have fucking knocked you out!
    in real life i wpoiuld have seriously given him a fucking kicking by now.
    ...and these aren't personal attacks?!

"The hypocrisy!...The hypocrisy...!"
  • Options
    The ".com" bit is all you need to look at. This means a website from the USA, not a proper democracy. (Not that we have that here, of course)

.com doesnt mean a site from the US, while many are not all are american
  • Options
    Morrocan Roll, is it true that you said "your not bright ...your not funny ...ever considered ending it all" to eternalsunshine? And if so, what could justify such a comment?
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG
    .com doesnt mean a site from the US, while many are not all are american.
    Just generalising. ".com" means corporate, and many corporations are based in the USA. That's what I meant.
  • Options
    Morrocan Roll, is it true that you said "your not bright ...your not funny ...ever considered ending it all" to eternalsunshine? And if so, what could justify such a comment?
    It honestly doesn't bother me in the slightest star. It's just the sheer hypocrisy of Moorrocan Roll's thread that I find quite astonishing...stones and glass houses spring to mind here.
  • Options
    probably true.
    justify it!
    i think i was in a long queue of people and i was by no means at the front.
This discussion has been closed.