Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

100,000 dead in Iraq.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    oh how many mothers with burnt children must be praying for the stability they had under saddam.
    how many people are being driven to madness and the urge to kill and destroy because of what WE have done.
    i have just read the report in the guardian ...i haven't read this thread but i'll bet ...
    luke and others still believe we are doing something right ...something good here.
    this is genocide.
    bush and blair should be hung from a lampost.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    oh how many mothers with burnt children must be praying for the stability they had under saddam.
    how many people are being driven to madness and the urge to kill and destroy because of what WE have done.
    i have just read the report in the guardian ...i haven't read this thread but i'll bet ...
    luke and others still believe we are doing something right ...something good here.
    this is genocide.
    bush and blair should be hung from a lampost.

erm not to kill this thread, but the average white straight germans life was stable under hitler, they had jobs and shops and trade and food on table - doesnt make it a good place
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    ..... coalitions troops are there to bring peace,
    i've read the thread now ...why am i not surprised?
    with thousands upon thousands upon thousands upon thousands upon thousands ....of dead children ...dead women ...destroyed hospitals and power stations ...water treatment plants anhialated ...and an estimated one and a half million dead children because of depleted uranium and sanctions which WE put in place depriving children of essential medicine ...what i wonder is your definition of war if this is peace.
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    erm not to kill this thread, but the average white straight germans life was stable under hitler, they had jobs and shops and trade and food on table - doesnt make it a good place
    hitler was invading all around him with an agenda of ruling the world ...bit different don't you think?
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Did anyone actually go to that site which was linked?

Hmm, perhaps not the best news source ever. And even if its bang on, its 'reported' deaths. Is there a clear and effective reporting system?
    The Iraq Body Count site is viewed by most as a pretty reliable source. Obviously the information released today gives a very grim 'update' on the situation.

At the end of the day, remember that the US "doesn't do body counts" :mad:

I cannot say anything about mrmeathcliff's comments about 600,000 executions since I haven't seen the link or the claim itself. All I can say is that I have consistently seen figures of between 100,000 and 300,000 people killed by Saddam's regime. Some people add the 500,000-700,000 people killed in the Iran-Iraq war to Saddam's total to bring it over the famous 'million people killed' claim.

But then it could be just as easy to add the 500,000 to 1m people killed by US-led UN sanctions to the Allies death count.

It is my belief that in view of the latest figures released today, the Allies have now killed at least a very similar number of people as Saddam has- and probably more.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    The Iraq Body Count site is viewed by most as a pretty reliable source. Obviously the information released today gives a very grim 'update' on the situation.

At the end of the day, remember that the US "doesn't do body counts" :mad:

I cannot say anything about mrmeathcliff's comments about 600,000 executions since I haven't seen the link or the claim itself. All I can say is that I have consistently seen figures of between 100,000 and 300,000 people killed by Saddam's regime. Some people add the 500,000-700,000 people killed in the Iran-Iraq war to Saddam's total to bring it over the famous 'million people killed' claim.

But then it could be just as easy to add the 500,000 to 1m people killed by US-led UN sanctions to the Allies death count.

It is my belief that in view of the latest figures released today, the Allies have now killed at least a very similar number of people as Saddam has- and probably more.
    lets not forget the iran/iraq war was our war akso.
    when americas shawas chucked out ...we aremd saddam with anything and everything he wanted ...so he could destroy those who hated the great satan ...so most of that blood is on our hands as well.
  • Options
    A good point. If people insist on adding the victims of that war to Saddam's 'account', I think they should be shared between the puppet and the puppetmasters that armed him and supported him.

Though remember, the bottom line for some is that if people are killed by a dictator who is an ally of the West, they are just collateral damage. But if the dictator then becomes an enemy of the West, his victims are suddenly mourned the world over and the killings portrayed as a horrible crime that must not be tolerated.
  • Options
    what abut saddam what are you going to doa bout hoim? the terrorists? chinas murdering clan too!!! and the rest!
    Are you well

What's your point here?
  • Options
    Originally posted by eternalsunshine
    Are you well

What's your point here?
    i don't think he is well ...he's on mind bending drugs ...or maybe should be!
  • Options
    We're talking about a report that reckons that in excess of 100,000 Iraqi civillians have been killed since the so called liberation took place! The vast majority caused by precision bombings on Wedding parties and the like

That's what we are talking about

Get it?
  • Options
    all you ever do is moan about how bad Bush is. My point is you easily forget the rest pf the world and how bad that really is!

100,000 dead in Iraq is the topic.......

You wanna start a discussion about China? G'wan, dazzle us with your insight into China, G'wan, g'wan, g'wan...........

Just start another thread please.

:)

Did Saddam kill 1.6 million Iraqis?

We should be told.........
  • Options
    your clan make saddam look like an absolute angel! didn't many of ya taking your holidays there though

Who's in "my clan" and where did I take ny holidays?

We should be told

• Options
    your clan make saddam look like an absolute angel! didn't many of ya taking your holidays there though
    What on earth are you rabbiting on about?

Spooky no :eek:
  • Options
    a bit of research for you there
    What research?!

Are you well :confused:
  • Options
    What research?!

Are you well :confused:

Me thinks he doesnae wish to discuss how many Iraqi babies we blew to smithereens.........
  • Options
    Originally posted by freethepeeps
    Me thinks he doesnae wish to discuss how many Iraqi babies we blew to smithereens.........

What do you mean "we"..it's not as though the general public had any say in the matter.
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    What do you mean "we"..it's not as though the general public had any say in the matter.

Did 'we' stop them?

Did we heck!
  • Options
    Did 'we' stop them?

Did we heck!

How on earth were "we" supposed to stop them huh?
  • Options

If 5% of the people who joined that March in Feb, had gone to the bases and dismantled them and disarmed the planes, we might well have stopped them.

:eek2:
  • Options
    I very much doubt that would have been possible, but it's a nice thought.
  • Options
    Its 100 000 people - yes we could have......

Which quite by coincidence is the estimated number of dead......
  • Options
    10,000 people with weapons and authority like the army?

If they had done that, they would have all been arrested. It would not have worked.

Not to mention that the army has bases all over the world. Causing havoc at one, would not halt a war.
  • Options
    Jaw jaw perhaps?

I think we've really got to look at the real reasons for this illegal invasion of Iraq. Why?

Because 'we' are all children of this world.

It's one world PussyKatty and my brothers and sisters are being bombed to fucked and I don't like it one tiny bit.

Is that enough for you?

Think global...act local
  • Options
    If 5% of the people who joined that March in Feb, had gone to the bases and dismantled them and disarmed the planes, we might well have stopped them.

:eek2:
    Oh yes :D
  • Options
    Jaw jaw perhaps?

I think we've really got to look at the real reasons for this illegal invasion of Iraq. Why?

Because 'we' are all children of this world.

It's one world PussyKatty and my brothers and sisters are being bombed to fucked and I don't like it one tiny bit.

Is that enough for you?

Think global...act local

Excuse me?
  • Options
    10,000 people with weapons and authority like the army?

If they had done that, they would have all been arrested. It would not have worked.

Not to mention that the army has bases all over the world. Causing havoc at one, would not halt a war.

If people had been killed in this country taking action against an illegal war, it may well have forced the government to pull out.

Some people took action - but it needed to be more - 100 000 people determined to dismantle bases could do it.

What will you do next time?

:confused:
  • Options
    Excuse me?
    Why, what have you done :confused:
  • Options
    The government wanted to go to war. I don't think anything, including a protester dying, would have made any difference at all.

I said excuse me because I didn't understand your point. What do you mean "is that enough for you?"
  • Options
    The government wanted to go to war. I don't think anything, including a protester dying, would have made any difference at all.

The government pretends that it is "our" government - and we should definitely push it when they start committing mass murder IN OUR NAME - 100 000 arrests would be a major victory for us..........

Dismantling the bases would have been superb.

What will you do next time?
  • Options

I said excuse me because I didn't understand your point. What do you mean "is that enough for you?"
    Do you believe that non-violent direct action has a role in our ever changing society?

I'm thinking ploughshares here