Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

100,000 dead in Iraq.

Latest independant reports suggest that the Iraq war has claimed some 100,000 deaths.

Heres the story;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3962969.stm
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How does this compare to similar situations?
  • Options
    Well, they've got a way to go to match Vietnam but they seem to want to get there.
  • Options
    And World War 2 claimed over 55million lives.
    I think the figure of 100,000 has been grossly inflated.
  • Options
    Both wars went on for much longer than the period of this count though. And this is a count of civilians, not of military dead.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    And World War 2 claimed over 55million lives.
    I think the figure of 100,000 has been grossly inflated.

And you're basing that on what exactly?
  • Options
    Surely this now qualifies as genocide?

More than 100,000 Iraqi civilians have now been killed as a result of Bush and Blair's imperialistic Crusade. Those Iraqis who are still alive are now 58 times more likely to be killed than before the US-led "liberation". Mission accomplished indeed.

That Bush and Blair are a pair of lying, cheating murdering war criminals is surely beyond questioning. What this latest figures reveal should be enough in my opinion to charge them both with Crimes Against Humanity. Perhaps they could be sent to The Hague and be tried together with their ex-best friend Saddam Hussein.

As a matter of fact, it is probably true to say that the US and Britain have now been responsible for more Iraqi deaths than Saddam Hussein. Don't you love the irony? :rolleyes:

I am now reaching the point where even the war-supporting, working-class hating, public service-destroying Tories are starting to look a more attractive than that murdering scumbag ****. Despite all the good things this government has done, I don't particularly like the prospect of the Prime Minister being a butchering war criminal of the worst kind.

:mad:
  • Options
    Fantastic really isnt it, to contemplate the thought that Sadam could have gotten a lot worse than he was and still not killed and injured as many people.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    Is this a true figure or has it been exagerated again?

OK If it is true that figure is frightening and just goes to show that the terrorists in Iraq that who are responsible most of the deaths don't care how many people they kill whether or not they are Iraqi muslims.

It was an independant survey of 1000 households throughout Iraq.

And no Lukesh, most of those will be from our bombings, not from terrorists. And of course from diseases and such.
  • Options
    Proof?

Herr Bremer forbade the collection of data on the war-dead.

Same as photos of US soldiers coffins were banned.

:)

Under the circumstances it is best to believe the worst.
  • Options
    Where is the proof that says that most of the deaths were form US-UK bombings?

do you really think that more than 50,000 would be because of terrorists?
  • Options

Censored by the purveyors of "freedom and democracy" (TM reg)

Considering that both Bush and Blair were told that deposing Saddam would lead to serious instability, they have some responsibility for all the deaths.

;)
  • Options

Do you know how many terrorist bombings there would have to be to kill that many people Lukesh.

Lets say you can pop 50 in one go, thats a big bomb, so 100,000 / 50 = 2,000 individual bombings. Thats a fantasticle rate of bombing.
  • Options
    Absolutley! terrorists don't care who they kill, how many they kill and in what form they do it.

And clearly neither do the US - who, as it happens, have killed many, many more than all the "terrorists" (by which I presume you mean those who use violence, who we don't agree with) put together.

Stop reading those tabloids, they'll rot your brain ..........
  • Options
    If they ahd more international backing from the likes of France and Co then it would of gone a bit more better. I admit, the war is a mess but god I can never say I didn't agree with getting rid of a tyrant like saddam, Never!

Even though it was an illegal act, and made life for the average Iraqi far WORSE?

:eek:

Too late, the rot has clearly set in already.....
  • Options
    Terrorists are capable of anything - you should know this by now!

By what standards exactly, what have they done?

You seem to think them varst armies of evil death merchants plowing down all before them.

The monster under your bed isnt there.
  • Options
    Hummm get this into your head....

what is the aim of the coalition troops?
    what is the aim of the terrorists?
    terrorists are there to kill..... coalitions troops are there to bring peace, peace that has never been present in Iraq.

coalition troops, especially american troops are under orders to kill all insurgency, no matter what the 'collateral damage' basicaly

the terroists aims, well they arent terroists, well there are some there but most are rebel insurgents, theyre different, and thier aim is to kill as many americans as possible, and makes the americans either pull out or be even more angered and indiscriminate, thus making them kill more civilians, so more peopel lose family and decide the americans have to leave and join them
  • Options
    I don't really understand this but I'll have ago...

do you mean that i am exagerating over the threat of terrorism?
    This is a view from a non realist!

I'm just curious that someone would believe outside terrorists able to all this.

Terrorism isnt the threat its made out to be.
  • Options
    The way you look at it yes, but NO it certainly isn't!
    If being responsible for the deaths of 100,000 people under false pretenses doesn't qualify, you tell me what does...

It is certainly true that some of these Iraqis have been killed by the coalition forces but you need to remember that the vast majority have been killed by non Iraqi terrorists. You have still failed to realise this.
    "Vast majority" my arse.

And besides, what you conveniently omit is that all those people would still be alive if the illegal war hadn't taken place... because there was no terrorism WHATSOEVER in Iraq before the illegal war took place.

LOL Your sounding like a crazy political activist here.
    You make Saddam sound like an absolute saint! Geta grip!
    Just remember whatt he aim of this war was.... to get rid of Saddam Hussien. Forget the WMD business, we have got rid of Saddam, the real "cheating murdering war criminal".
    Can't you read now? I said that Saddam should sit in trial next to his pals. Stop distorting and talking rubbish.
    What? LOL There you go again! Your full of rubbish mate. You only believe in what YOU want to believe. Just for the record your country also played a role in this war for the vast majority of it.
    Just get this into your small open minded brain..... it is the terrorists stupid!
    Should we run the numbers Luke?

Directly killed by US-led Allied forces:

First Gulf war: at least 120,000
    Second Gulf war + post-war: at least 115,000 plus undisclosed number of Iraqi soldiers- let's say a conservative 10,000

Estimated victims from DU ammunition and cluster bombs: 100,000

Total number killed directly by Allies: 345,000

Directly killed by Saddam Hussein:

Some people put it at 100,000 and some at 300,000, so let's settle for 200,000

You do the maths Luke.

war supporting - working-class.... what?
    Don't you even know the basic of polices of the party you like so much? LOL[/B][/QUOTE]
    Public service destroying tories.... LOL.... look at the EU's mess now with benefits! LOL
    What benefits do you speak of? Do you have a clue? LOL

Your more loony than I first imagined. Labour have done this country good, they are far from perfect but with you the war makes them evil and scum. get a grip mate!
    Try to read what people post for once... :rolleyes:

I'm accusing Tony Blair, not the Labour party at large.

You're the loony one mate. Even many former warmongers and even neo-cons have now admitted the war was illegal and wrong. How many more people killed will it take for you to admit to it? 200 thousand? Half a million? A million?
  • Options
    Life under Saddam was far from perfect....

Iraq will get better!

Not for 100 000 it won't.

Nor for the 1.5million we killed with sanctions.

The "terrorists" haven't been nearly as succesful ........
  • Options
    Terrorism is here - open your eyes, wake up!

We close them far too often and gets us into a mess.

Where? We are chasing after shadows. Lashing out at people we dont understand.
  • Options
    they don't understand us either.

And thats a good reason to kill them?
  • Options
    is it a good reason for them to kill us too?

I think we have given them a good few reasons to kill us actually.
  • Options
    I thought you would look at it that way. Can't win with that attitude.

This isnt a battle we can win. And no, that doesnt mean 'letting them win' because its not a war in the proper sense at all. Terrorism stems from hatred, and untill we actually do something constructive to deal with that then we will be living with The Fear for ever.
  • Options

luke thier job aint to kill ,their job is scare us into abandong what makes us free fair countries, not warmongering imperialistic powers who therefore put more people on their side as they can say "look what theyre doing, theyre suppposed to be responsible"
  • Options
    for sheer numbers of casualties, the 'terrorists' have a long way to go to catch up with us, iraq is less stable than it ever was under saddam and its gonna stay that way, so we really havent done anyone any favours except ourselves, because hey iraq has second largest oil reserves in the world isnt that convenient......all we have done is given the extremists around the world a reason and opportunity to unite against the west, because they way they see it they are next for 'liberation', lol.........
  • Options
    I've lost the link now, but I believe that conservative estimates by the The Centre for Human Rights in Iraq estimated over 600,000 executions, and another 500,000 at least from the war with Iran.

http://www.iraqbodycount.net/ Estimates between 14,160 and 16,289 civilian deaths in Iraq.
  • Options

We close them far too often and gets us into a mess.

it's funny how the worlds eyes were closed to terrorism until september 11th
  • Options
    thats bout right son! well done.

Thats about right? And you're basing your judgement on what? A guess?
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Thats about right? And you're basing your judgement on what? A guess?
    No, when someone says something that meets Luke's agenda, Luke automatically sees the statement as undeniable truth.

Anyone, including newspapers or respected broadcasting corporations, who says something that goes against Luke's beliefs, is automatically dismissed.
  • Options
    Did anyone actually go to that site which was linked?

Hmm, perhaps not the best news source ever. And even if its bang on, its 'reported' deaths. Is there a clear and effective reporting system?