Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

the meaning of work

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Oh dear....

Working as a manual laboyur in a East Asian paddy field empowers no-one.

Why do you think people work in these factories? they are not forced to, so why do they do it?

in the uk ...millions of people were lured and often forced ...out of the countryside and into the dark satanic mills of a new kind of poverty and desperation and disease under the illusion that life would be better.
    what is so wrong in working in the fields?
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    every tribe that ever existed though has dominated another.
    the strong will always manipulate the weak ...yes. if necessary making them weak.
    thats our history i'm afraid ...unless you believe in a garden of eden scenario in the distant past and even in paradise ...it would seem that you had to watch your back ...

Did you study this, or invent it?

:confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by freethepeeps
    Did you study this, or invent it?

go on ...please tell me i'm wrong.
    suerly you can do better than change the subject?
  • Options
    go on ...please tell me i'm wrong.
    suerly you can do better than change the subject?

There's a fair bit of theory on "egalitarian societies" - maybe they're all wong, maybe not.

And it was a direct response to your statement - not changing the subject at all.

I guess if you think that human beings are cavemen that can't modify their behaviour, then you have one world view. If you think that humans are capable of adapting their behaviour you have another.

Mine is the latter.

:)
  • Options
    There's a fair bit of theory on "egalitarian societies" - maybe they're all wong, maybe not.

I guess if you think that human beings are cavemen that can't modify their behaviour, then you have one world view. If you think that humans are capable of adapting their behaviour you have another.

Mine is the latter.

well theory is one thing and reality is another.
    i know from experience how an individual can change but see no signs of it on a lrger scale ...in fact i see the world getting more and more selfish by the day so i'm afraid the theories will remain no more than pipe dreams.
    nowt wrong with hoping and dreaming though.
  • Options
    Oh dear....

Working as a manual laboyur in a East Asian paddy field empowers no-one.

Why do you think people work in these factories? they are not forced to, so why do they do it?

That of course does not mean that people should be deliberately exploited but it true that the majority of people would rather work in a factory than on a farm because it is simply better, little dispute........

Also no-one controls their own economy or their own economic future, this is impossible in any countrey, any industyr anytime anyplace.....

Oh dear oh dear.

I rather think that having control over your own means of production is rather more empowering than being forced to work for a pittance in a factory making trainers for the west.

And if you don't think people are forced (either physically or economically), I suggest you find out a bit more about it...
  • Options
    I think you'll find that I was querying the idea that we have a "tolerant, modern, capitalist society" ...........

It'd be a start if people realised that its not at all tolerant, benign or even nice .

;)
    Truly pathetic, as ever.

:):)

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    Truly pathetic, as ever.

Yes - and?

Do you think calling me pathetic will make it nice, benign and tolerant?

You're crap at the ad homs - marginally better at the debate - stick to the latter, eh?

;)

Anyway, we were discussing "the meaning of work"

Have we got anywhere with it yet?

• Options
    Truly pathetic, as ever.

Haven't you got anymore to say? Are you saying that capitalist society is tolerant and benign?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Haven't you got anymore to say? Are you saying that capitalist society is tolerant and benign?
    You will note that I have avoided saying that, but these terms are relative. I am asking freethepeeps what he thinks an suitable alternative would be.
  • Options
    And I, failing to see the relevance of the question, declined to answer.

• Options
    And I, failing to see the relevance of the question, declined to answer.

Do I really have to explain the relevance?

Criticising modern capitalism without providing an improved alternative is utter nonsense.
  • Options
    Do I really have to explain the relevance?

Criticising modern capitalism without providing an improved alternative is utter nonsense.

Is it?

Says who?

• Options
    Is it?

Says who?

you do this often.
    if you can't answer then say so.
    you conveiantly move on ...
  • Options
    Is it?

Says who?
    Yes. Me.
  • Options
    you do this often.
    if you can't answer then say so.
    you conveiantly move on ...

I don't see what my ideas about the way forward have to do with it - I do have some, and I'm choosing not to share them.

And I don't think anyone has moved on, on this thread. Those who thought capitalism was benign and tolerant at the start of it, still do so. Those who didn't, still don't.

And we definitely haven't established anything about "the meaning of work," which is what the thread really is about, I believe.

• Options
    I don't see what my ideas about the way forward have to do with it - I do have some, and I'm choosing not to share them.

And I don't think anyone has moved on, on this thread. Those who thought capitalism was benign and tolerant at the start of it, still do so. Those who didn't, still don't.

And we definitely haven't established anything about "the meaning of work," which is what the thread really is about, I believe.

as in any conversation it broadens out.
    saying wood isn't a good material to build an engine with, would surely lead on to why ...and what is better.
  • Options
    as in any conversation it broadens out.
    saying wood isn't a good material to build an engine with, would surely lead on to why ...and what is better.

Except that there isn't any kind of agreement that there is a problem here, so I don't see any point in discussing alternative scenarios when the majority appear happy with what they've got.

I doubt very much that an alienated, atomised, greedy, authoritarian society is going to turn into anything better ........

• Options
    I think that everyone has ther own idea of what the perfect society is and to be honest I don't get what the thread was originally about... :eek2:

As for tolerent... I think that maybe we could look at two areas... One being laws and the other people's attitudes... I mean you can abide by a law and not agree with it, aye?

To be honest I think that the majority of laws in the UK are sound when reguarding equal opportunity and we don't exactly have the death penalty and jail... from what I've read is hardly as bad as say... the jails in Cuba...

However, as far as attitudes are concerned, with papers like the Sun creating smoke screens and blaming our problems on minority groups.... It ain't that hard to see where prejudices arise from.

Is capitalism fair? is it bollocks, but it's the way the UK is. There will always be people on top controlling those less affluent through the media... Thus the working man who earns a fiver an hour and perhaps might be unhappy with the situation he lives will be able to legitimise his pain by picking oin whoever the fat cats are scapegoating at the time... If that makes sense...

Just my opinion.
  • Options
    Oh dear oh dear.

I rather think that having control over your own means of production is rather more empowering than being forced to work for a pittance in a factory making trainers for the west.

And if you don't think people are forced (either physically or economically), I suggest you find out a bit more about it...

Subsistence farmers are not empowered, what could make you think this? :crazyeyes

Subsistence farming is the lowest from of economic existence, the vast majority of the people in the world who live in poverty are subsistence farmers.

Western society is rich today because our ancestors worked for low wages in factories, would you rather we were still at the level of the 17th century?

Would you personally rather be a subsistence farmer than do the job you do now? Of course not..........

There are many problems with how developing countries industrialise, many areas where peoples lives could realisitcally be made better but the baisc tenent that to become a rich country like ours then a poor country must go through a phase of industrialisation where workers are likely to be low paid etc is true, and cannot be avoided.......
  • Options

Western society is rich today because our ancestors worked for low wages in factories, .......
    your having a larf mate. western society is rich today cos we went round the world plundering ...especialy the case for the uk.
    we had the biggest and wealthiest empire this world has ever seen ...we still live on that wealth to a degree to this day.
    by the way ...people are still working in factories for fucking buttons ...fighting for a minmum wage etc etc.
  • Options
    your having a larf mate. western society is rich today cos we went round the world plundering ...especialy the case for the uk.
    we had the biggest and wealthiest empire this world has ever seen ...we still live on that wealth to a degree to this day.
    by the way ...people are still working in factories for fucking buttons ...fighting for a minmum wage etc etc.

No

Western societies are rich because they industrialised, thus they produced a lot of stuff, which they sold, thus having lots of money....

Plundering resources etc, is no use if you don't have factories etc.

Why do you think Germany (small colonial empire) is richer than Portugal or Spain (vast colonial empires)?
  • Options

Western societies are rich because they industrialised, thus they produced a lot of stuff, which they sold, thus having lots of money....

Plundering resources etc, is no use if you don't have factories etc.

Why do you think Germany (small colonial empire) is richer than Portugal or Spain (vast colonial empires)?

yes but many african countries that were thriving hundreds of years ago are now in ruin
  • Options
    I do not question that colonial influence in Africa has been less than positive in many cases.

It would also be wrong however to suggest that the state of many African nations is 'all our fault' or that the state of these nations before we arrived was particulalry good either.......
  • Options
    I do not question that colonial influence in Africa has been less than positive in many cases.

It would also be wrong however to suggest that the state of many African nations is 'all our fault' or that the state of these nations before we arrived was particulalry good either.......

Did anyone suggest that?

The fact remains we take twice as much out in debt repayments as we put in in aid, we continue to plunder raw materials at ridiculously low prices, bring them here, process them and sell them back at super inflated prices.

And we continue to hold whole societies hostage to an economic system whose core values are anathema to their culture.

I challenge you to seperate out any single political development in post-colonial Africa and show that the west had no part in it.

;)
  • Options
    Subsistence farmers are not empowered, what could make you think this? :crazyeyes

Subsistence farming is the lowest from of economic existence, the vast majority of the people in the world who live in poverty are subsistence farmers.

Western society is rich today because our ancestors worked for low wages in factories, would you rather we were still at the level of the 17th century?

Would you personally rather be a subsistence farmer than do the job you do now? Of course not..........

I'm not talking about subsistence farming - I'm talking about people having control over their own lives.
    There are many problems with how developing countries industrialise, many areas where peoples lives could realisitcally be made better but the baisc tenent that to become a rich country like ours then a poor country must go through a phase of industrialisation where workers are likely to be low paid etc is true, and cannot be avoided.......

There is nothing inevitable about it at all - collectivisation can work.
  • Options
    Did anyone suggest that?

Well yes just above the bit of mine you quote?
  • Options

The fact remains we take twice as much out in debt repayments as we put in in aid, we continue to plunder raw materials at ridiculously low prices, bring them here, process them and sell them back at super inflated prices.

And we continue to hold whole societies hostage to an economic system whose core values are anathema to their culture.

I challenge you to seperate out any single political development in post-colonial Africa and show that the west had no part in it.

;)

Yes exactly so the development of industry is vital, thankyou for agreeing.......

What exactly is anathema to which developing countries?
  • Options
    I'm not talking about subsistence farming - I'm talking about people having control over their own lives.

There is nothing inevitable about it at all - collectivisation can work.

Industrialisation is a requirement of development, the road to riches, this is pretty much a fatc, does matter if it is free-market or communist etc, industrialisation is necessary.......

What kind of control are you talking about?
  • Options
    It might be vital, but does it have to be capitalist or communist?