Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Shooting burglars

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    is in effect advocating the death penalty for burglars
    :no:

Stop persisting with this rubbish. That is not what anyone is suggesting or advocating.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    :no:

Stop persisting with this rubbish. That is not what anyone is suggesting or advocating.

Its exactly what is being advocated .........

A racist, crazy man shot a 16 year old burglar dead while he was running away and people are trying to justify that.

When you take all the circumstances into account, there is no way that the action amounted to "reasonable force" - it was pre-meditated murder.

:)
  • Options
    Luke is. Luke says if you break into a house and you get shot dead you get what you deserve.

And to be honest, the right wing papers that complained and still complain today that Martin should have not been found guilty after the Court veredict, are exactly advocating that.

In fact, how could you possibly see it any other way?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Luke is. Luke says if you break into a house and you get shot dead you get what you deserve.

And to be honest, the right wing papers that complained and still complain today that Martin should have not been found guilty after the Court veredict, are exactly advocating that.

In fact, how could you possibly see it any other way?
    I'm astonished that you are so blinkered.

The most anyone is arguing for is the right to defend yourself and your property with deadly force. That is not the same as the death penalty for burglary. It is a defensive reaction not an act of justice or vengeance.

Tony Martin is not a good example.
  • Options
    I'm astonished that you are so blinkered.

The most anyone is arguing for is the right to defend yourself and your property with deadly force. That is not the same as the death penalty for burglary. It is a defensive reaction not an act of justice or vengeance.

Tony Martin is not a good example.

Tony Martin is the perfect example.

There is no difference between "defending yourself and your property with deadly force" and a "death penalty for burglary"

So, you suspect that your wife is having an affair with a colleague, you invite him onto your property and then kill him....

Are we all happy with that?

(especially when we find that your suspicions were wrong?)

BTW, does property include apples?
  • Options
    What utter nonsense. :lol:
  • Options
    What utter nonsense. :lol:

I'll take it that you can't actually refute the argument.

I already said that I lived in a country where you could kill people on your property with virtual impunity, didn't I?

;)

That scenario was repeated more than once.......
  • Options
    You're not putting forward an argument, you're making up fantastic scenarios.

If you are saying that Tony Martin was not defending his home from burglars because they were running away, then his case is not a good example.

It would be better to discuss the case of Nick Baungartner.
  • Options
    It would be better to discuss the case of Nick Baungartner.

Why?

:confused:
    you're making up fantastic scenarios.

Nope.
  • Options
    Originally posted by freethepeeps
    Why?

Because he came home to find a burglar in his house who subsequently decided to attack Mr Baungartner. During the course of a 20 minute scuffle, the burglar died.

What do you think about that?
  • Options
    reasonable force, and he was being attacked, so its all self defence

you have to sperate the burglary and subsequent events, and shotting someone in the back as they escaping, thats no reason to let them off, othe than possible tempory loss of sanity
  • Options
    And the ruling was that he had used "reasonable force" after he was attacked

He was defending his person, not his property at that stage.

Which is a crucial factor.

Are apples property, that should be defended with "deadly force"?
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    reasonable force, and he was being attacked, so its all self defence

you have to sperate the burglary and subsequent events, and shotting someone in the back as they escaping, thats no reason to let them off, othe than possible tempory loss of sanity
    Fine, but if Tony Martin perceived an attack on him and his home, then the motive was the same.

I do not defend what Tony Martin did, and he is not a good example of defending your home from burglars, but his perception of attack and our opinion in hindsight and the cold light of day are clearly different.
  • Options
    Fine, but if Tony Martin perceived an attack on him and his home, then the motive was the same.

I do not defend what Tony Martin did, and he is not a good example of defending your home from burglars, but his perception of attack and our opinion in hindsight and the cold light of day are clearly different.

Which is why it is right to legislate for "reasonable force" and to examine all the evidence ...........

"Deadly force" is reasonable if your life is at risk, not if you think someone might take something as they run away.

Why won't you answer the "apple question?"

• Options

no cause the guy was fucking running away, how the hell do you interpret that as a threat!?
  • Options
    Why won't you answer the "apple question?"
    I don't think I understand the point of the question.

If someone is stealing from your property then they are subject to law. Just because apples are worthless in your eyes doesn't make it a non-crime. No, he didn't have the right to shoot the apple-scrumper, but the apple-scrumper didn't have the right to steal the apples.

I understand why people take the law into their own hands if the police take no interest. That doesn't make it right, but when the police cannot protect you, there is little choice.
  • Options
    no cause the guy was fucking running away, how the hell do you interpret that as a threat!?
    To run away, you have to have been there in the first place. Just because Barras was running away when he was shot, doesn't mean he was any less of a threat when Martin decided to shoot him. I'd feel threatened if a burglar came into my house no matter which direction he was moving.
  • Options
    To run away, you have to have been there in the first place. Just because Barras was running away when he was shot, doesn't mean he was any less of a threat when Martin decided to shoot him. I'd feel threatened if a burglar came into my house no matter which direction he was moving.

there was no risk, if you actually confronted by one, then defend yourself, but not beyond your means

and he did get a reduded sentence too, cause of the fear involved, but no matter what it was murder and unnecessery force was used
  • Options
    there was no risk, if you actually confronted by one, then defend yourself, but not beyond your means

and he did get a reduded sentence too, cause of the fear involved, but no matter what it was murder and unnecessery force was used
    No risk? It's easy to sit here and say that now.

But moving on from Tony Martin, does a person have a right to defend his home from attack?
  • Options
    No risk? It's easy to sit here and say that now.

But moving on from Tony Martin, does a person have a right to defend his home from attack?

in what sense? booby traps?

if someones threatening you or your life sure defned yourself, but if your house is being burgled, if you take up arms, then next time burgulars will jsut go more armed than you

and its easy to disregards someones life cause they took your property, youre saying, he broke the law, he didnt threaten you, he was running away in fact, plain and simple, if you kill them as theyre running away, its murder, plain as, even if ti was a criminal, its the laws job to deal with criminals and punish them, not yours
  • Options
    in what sense? booby traps?

Who mentioned booby traps? :confused:
    if someones threatening you or your life sure defned yourself
    But this is my point. Where does burglary end and threat to life begin. The teacher who was killed by a burglar, Robert Symons, ended up dead but that was just a burglar, right?
  • Options
    and its easy to disregards someones life cause they took your property, youre saying, he broke the law, he didnt threaten you, he was running away in fact, plain and simple, if you kill them as theyre running away, its murder, plain as, even if ti was a criminal, its the laws job to deal with criminals and punish them, not yours
    Too many commas :crazyeyes. Kentish only has a small brain. Explain what you mean.
  • Options

Who mentioned booby traps? :confused:

But this is my point. Where does burglary end and threat to life begin. The teacher who was killed by a burglar, Robert Symons, ended up dead but that was just a burglar, right? [/B]

no he's not JUST a burglar as you put it so nicely, hes a burglar and a murderer at that too

noone has the right to shoot anyone, even if theyve broken into your home, otherwise wed all be going round killing eachother

and to sum up previous post, its the polices job to deal with criminals directly not you. you dont deal justice out

your saying its right to shoot someone cause theyve broken the law and are running away, if so - move to america please
  • Options
    no he's not JUST a burglar as you put it so nicely, hes a burglar and a murderer at that too

But he started off as a burglar, and only became a murderer when confronted.
    noone has the right to shoot anyone, even if theyve broken into your home, otherwise wed all be going round killing eachother
    Why, because we all go round burgling each other now?
    Who would you rather died: Robert Symons or the burglar?
  • Options
    and to sum up previous post, its the polices job to deal with criminals directly not you. you dont deal justice out

I agree.
    your saying its right to shoot someone cause theyve broken the law and are running away, if so - move to america please
    When have I ever said that? :confused:
    Don't put words in my mouth.

ps Does everyone who disagrees with you have to move to America?
  • Options

Why, because we all go round burgling each other now?
    Who would you rather died: Robert Symons or the burglar? [/B]

yes because it wasnt a pre-meditated killing, you only become a murderer once youve done it
  • Options
    yes because it wasnt a pre-meditated killing, you only become a murderer once youve done it
    You're answering a question no one asked. :confused:
  • Options

ps Does everyone who disagrees with you have to move to America? [/B]

erm cause if u run away from the law in america they shoot u,
  • Options
    I don't think I understand the point of the question.

If someone is stealing from your property then they are subject to law. Just because apples are worthless in your eyes doesn't make it a non-crime. No, he didn't have the right to shoot the apple-scrumper, but the apple-scrumper didn't have the right to steal the apples.

I understand why people take the law into their own hands if the police take no interest. That doesn't make it right, but when the police cannot protect you, there is little choice.

So, the "but" suggests you'd be prepared to justify someone being shot dead for scrumping apples?

Indeed, if he hadn't been confronted, he wouldn't have become a murderer.
    Which is a good reason why most people should think twice before physically confronting a burglar........

Essentially, your argument is the same as Luke's
    Originally posted by lukesh
    at the time of the incident, theifing was also illgeal.
    Originally posted by lukesh

Martin should NOT be prosecuted as NO one has the right to be in his house.

Its really simple and easy to understand..... the kid would be alive today if he wasn't a theif so he got what he deserved. Simple as that.

No?
  • Options
    So, the "but" suggests you'd be prepared to justify someone being shot dead for scrumping apples?
    No, that's not what I said. Both are crimes. Both are unacceptable.
    Indeed, if he hadn't been confronted, he wouldn't have become a murderer.
    Which is a good reason why most people should think twice before physically confronting a burglar........
    So you'd let them ransack your house and sit by? :lol:
    I don't know what I'd do - calling the police would be first on my mind, but if they are minutes or hours away, I'd pick up something heavy and investigate.
    Essentially, your argument is the same as Luke's
    No?
    No, because I don't think burglars deserve to die. I don't think anyone deserves to be killed, least of all innocent homeowners.