Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Shooting burglars

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    OK, the law is the law... But say for example you live in the country 5 miles from a town and an intruder comes in to the home. You're a woman who's husband is out at work (for arguements sake he works a night shift) and your three year old daughter and eight year old son are sleeping in bed.

It'd take a while for the police to turn up and you don't know who the hell is downstairs. They could hurt you or... More importantly your children.

I think it's easy to say that it's not right to murder a burglar, but in reality you could be frightened for your loved ones... You don't know who the fuck is downstairs or what their intentions are. Sometimes people snap under that sort of pressure.

I don't believe in killing burglars of course... But to 'murder' there's always a motivation and some psychological research shows that even in the most gentle of people, there can be a killer.

theres a claim for MAJOR leniacny in that though, not the same as aiming and shooting someone in the back as they running away
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    Fiend are you depressed? Can't you have a laugh?

Why is it, when proven wrong, you try to suggest you were being funny?
  • Options
    you can't go round picking shit out of the bible and say you should believe this because i do...

example the turn the other cheek

Shut up talking shit Lukesh, I posted the same reference at you
  • Options
    i say i am a christaina as my views mostly come from there, some from islam other relgiions too.

You say you're a christian and are LYING. You are not a christian.

sorry about multiple posting lads, havn't got time to mess about.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Do you believe that people should have the right to murder a burglar even when they are not in danger?

Yes or no?

If someone broke into my house on a night how would I know if they were armed with any weapon ? How would I know if they were breaking in or gonna rape me ?

You cant ask him to reply because at the end of the day any break in or an intruder on your property can automatically put you in danger, you dont know wether they are high on drugs.......you dont know nothing about the intruder.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    If someone broke into my house on a night how would I know if they were armed with any weapon ? How would I know if they were breaking in or gonna rape me ?

You cant ask him to reply because at the end of the day any break in or an intruder on your property can automatically put you in danger, you dont know wether they are high on drugs.......you dont know nothing about the intruder.

thats covered, its up to judge to decide if you used reasonable force

if theyre escaping you wouldnt shoot em in back would you?
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    thats covered, its up to judge to decide if you used reasonable force

if theyre escaping you wouldnt shoot em in back would you?

Aladdin asked that question to Luke, so I replied with my thoughts.

No I wouldnt shoot...because i aint got a gun, well apart from a water pistol :D

If they were leaving id let them go and call the police, what id do if they were in my house I honestly dont know. Isd probs just tell em to take whatever they want and hope they got out very quick.
  • Options
    radio two today.
    a barrister explained that if you were faced with a real threat to your life ...a mad axe man or even a young thief flashing a knife at you then reasonable force may well be a baseball bat or bullet ...as long as the gun was legal of course.
    luke ...if you were to break into my house in the night you would fill me with uncertainty and fear...you would get hurt and may possibly even get yourself killed ...
    but if you were a hundred yards away and making your escape ...my fear would have gone ...i would not take aim and shoot you in the back ...like martin did.
  • Options
    The whole point about the Tony Martin case becky is that he was fully aware the kid was escaping, and decided to shoot him anyway as 'revenge'.

I'm sure there can be a million different situations where it is dark, confusing, you're scared and you don't know where the burglars are coming or going. If you shoot in the belief your life is in danger, of course that's a different situation. But it became very clear in Tony Martin's case that none of the above applied. He simply and in cold blood took aim and shot a child as he was running away from his property, and for all we know shouting ''take that you gypsy cunt" as he did so.

That is cold blooded murder. And incredibly, the right wing newspapers and the likes of Luke actually argue Martin should have been allowed to escape prosecution for cold blooded murder.

And those people call themselves Christians!
  • Options
    i aint a theif so i got nowte worry bout.
    missed the point somewhat luke.
  • Options
    the point is mate if your not a theif, you got nothing to worry about.

rolly said "if you were a thief", thats a hypothetical statement, you should've also replied in a hypothetical manner
  • Options
    THE POINT IS

You are allowed to defend yourself with reasonable force, you are not allowed to by law to shoot someone in the back
  • Options
    the point is mate if your not a theif, you got nothing to worry about.

In a world where its acceptable to shoot people in the back, whilst they're running away, you've got lots to worry about.

You look at me funny, I shoot you dead, I say you tried to steal my flowers. You don't argue.

:)
  • Options
    you can't predict the punishment...... so do what the law says.
    which according to is or should be ...ok to shoot someone in the back who is running away from you?
  • Options
    define resonable force
    have you had a frontal lobotamy luke?
  • Options
    you can't predict the punishment...... so do what the law says.

You want the law to say its okay to shoot people in the back.

I lived in a country where it was okay to shoot people in the back.

It wasn't a very nice country.........
  • Options
    martin must have been in a bad situation - he did what he thought was the option available 2 him

you're so right, how did martin know that the burgular wasn't running away to get a WMD to blow up his house
  • Options
    stop assuming not once have i said its ok to shoot people

u guys make it up all time

So, you agree that Tony Martin committed a crime?

:confused:
  • Options
    stop assuming not once have i said its ok to shoot people

u guys make it up all time
    i think you need to read what you have been saying ... you run round in fucking circles like a headless chicken luke!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    The whole point about the Tony Martin case becky is that he was fully aware the kid was escaping, and decided to shoot him anyway as 'revenge'.

He wasnt just your 'normal' kid though was he, your making him out to be a model citizen when infact he wasnt. How long had tony been taunted by people like him ? I personally feel that he reached the end of his tether, not that its an excuse to kill cos its not.
  • Options
    He wasnt just your 'normal' kid though was he, your making him out to be a model citizen when infact he wasnt. How long had tony been taunted by people like him ? I personally feel that he reached the end of his tether, not that its an excuse to kill cos its not.

Tony Martin had no idea of his background when he shot him as he ran away .......

The fact is that shooting someone when they're running away is disproportionate force, you're not actually in any danger .....
  • Options
    for allhe knew it could have been bin laden! cud of been anyone. u guys dont care what martin was thiniing..... crinimals always come first
    their rights are alwayd first

:lol: how do their rights come first, the little shit should have been arrested and thrown in the cell, not murdered, you're the one that doesn't see the point.
  • Options
    crinimals always come first
    you can't find one reply that says anysuch thing luke.
  • Options
    always come first

You've just decided that you prefer one criminal to another .....

:p
  • Options
    Originally posted by freethepeeps
    Tony Martin had no idea of his background when he shot him as he ran away .......

I didnt say he did, I was clarifying that this lad wasnt just a little innocent kid. i felt as though Aladdin was implying he was a model citizen......just a poor little kid kinda thing.
  • Options
    I didnt say he did, I was clarifying that this lad wasnt just a little innocent kid. i felt as though Aladdin was implying he was a model citizen......just a poor little kid kinda thing.

its irrelevant .........
  • Options
    So should we be allowed to shoot certain people in the back?

This is a strange concept. How on earth is one to distinguish between who needs shot and who doesn't
  • Options
    Originally posted by freethepeeps
    its irrelevant .........

Why ?

Its a part of this story so how can it be irrelevant ?

You just want people to hear one side of the story ?

All have a go at Luke eh and try to make him look stupid.......well you aint gonna try and do the same to me.
  • Options

All have a go at Luke eh and try to make him look stupid
    if you read through this again BB i think luke has done that himself.
  • Options
    Why ?

Its a part of this story so how can it be irrelevant ?

You just want people to hear one side of the story ?

All have a go at Luke eh and try to make him look stupid.......well you aint gonna try and do the same to me.

The issue is not about the unknown personality and forensic history of the person fleeing as fast as they can, while you point your illegally obtained gun at them.

Its about how the use of disproprtionate force is (rightly so) a crime.

:)