Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Shooting burglars

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by lukesh
    martin was frightened.

thats wy he got a reduced sentence not a lifetime in prison, he still did kill someone, and if he was that frightened, he would have got temporay insanity

however though, martin had his case heard, the boy no matter how pikey he was, didnt have a chance to do that
  • Options
    god is all around us and is looking down at you so behave duck!

This has got NOTHING to do with God. This is a state given right. God tells you to turn the other cheek, that if someone takes your shirt to give him your coat also. I don't hear you advocating that. So don't bring something in you don't understand.
  • Options
    insult has no capmarison with something physical like a punch.

whose to judge, i take insults very personally, they scare me :rolleyes:
  • Options
    insult has no capmarison with something physical like a punch.
    Oh so it is okay to murder someone if they punch me?

Can I jump on their heads until I'm satisfied I've killed them, if they punch me first?

Is that what you're saying?
  • Options
    anyway you guys wnat guns to be legal so he would be fine.

Back it up or retract it.
  • Options
    anyway you guys wnat guns to be legal so he would be fine.

And who has said that apart from LabRat? In fact I think if you look at gun control threads we all pick at Labrat because of his views on this issue.
  • Options
    that he was punished for protecting his family.

whats your problem with victims protecting them selves? You do have a problem with that one! Victims always come 2nd in your eyes.

I think, we more have a problem with murderers getting away with it.
  • Options
    that he was punished for protecting his family.

whats your problem with victims protecting them selves? You do have a problem with that one! Victims always come 2nd in your eyes.
    But that is the fucking point Luke. Will you listen for once?

MARTIN WASN'T DEFENDING HIMSELF WHEN HE SHOT THE BURGLAR!!!

Do you understand that very simple principle?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    But that is the fucking point Luke. Will you listen for once?

MARTIN WASN'T DEFENDING HIMSELF WHEN HE SHOT THE BURGLAR!!!

Do you understand that very simple principle?

Does martin even have a family?
  • Options
    My soul tells me to look after my family.

Yourself tells you. This has got NOTHING to do with God.
  • Options
    Ultimately, the problem here is the term "reasonable force". The Home Office admits that no legal definition of this term exists.
  • Options
    Originally posted by stargalaxy
    Ultimately, the problem here is the term "reasonable force". The Home Office admits that no legal definition of this term exists.

It IS a legal definition in of itself. The judge decides whether or not the actions of the person in each case are justified.
  • Options
    He wasn't defending himself.

The burglar was running away.

Martin took aim carefully and shot the kid in the back as he was running away.

Do you understand now? Or do I have to send a five-year-old to explain it to you?
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    It IS a legal definition in of itself. The judge decides whether or not the actions of the person in each case are justified.

OK, but what does reasonable force mean? Does it mean you can shoot someone? Or does it mean you must invite burglars in for a nice cup of tea?
  • Options
    God is all around us, god bless!

this has got nothing to do with God and neither does your point of view
    Matthew 5:38-42
    38 "You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.' 39 But I tell you, don't stand up against an evil person. If someone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other cheek also. 40 If someone wants to sue you in court and take your shirt, let him have your coat also. 41 If someone forces you to go with him one mile, go with him two miles. 42 If a person asks you for something, give it to him. Don't refuse to give to someone who wants to borrow from you
  • Options
    He was defending hims elf from the bugular ever trying to do anything.

Mate stop getting so wound up over nothing.

You should learn to chill out like me, it feels so much better.

huh

and what id you mean earlier by"what if it was the other way"

the boy didnt kill him!?
  • Options
    The judges are 90 year olds who don't understand life these days. The home office needs to make its mind up on whats legal and whats illegal.

back it up or retract it.
  • Options
    im not even religious and

" Matthew 5:38-42
    38 "You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.' 39 But I tell you, don't stand up against an evil person. If someone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other cheek also. 40 If someone wants to sue you in court and take your shirt, let him have your coat also. 41 If someone forces you to go with him one mile, go with him two miles. 42 If a person asks you for something, give it to him. Don't refuse to give to someone who wants to borrow from you"

means something to me, and its not too ambigous either
  • Options
    Nice one my friend!
    For the record, I have no political links or friendship with Lukesh. Not even I can befriend this dreadfully right-wing David Blunkett soundalike.
  • Options
    I think in some cases is pretty clear.

If the burglar is coming towards you armed with a knife, baseball bat, gun, etc, then shooting should be okay.

if the burglar is not armed and is trying to run away, then shooting him dead or chasing him through the garden and beating him to death with a bat is not unreasonable force.

I'm sure there are a few cases were it is not so clear, but in the situations such as Martin it was crystal clear. Martin had said in the past he was going to kill someone. He had premeditiation. And on the day, he shot a kid that was unarmed and running away trying to escape.

But incredibly the right wing press and the likes of Luke believe you have the right to murder someone in such circumstances.
  • Options
    The burgualr was on someone elses land, tresspassing. In someone elses house at night.

yes and leave it to the police and judicary...

lynch mobs didnt exist any more i thought!

tonymartin had an oppurtunity to explain his actions, and thus was given leniancy

that boy neva even had the chance to admit guilt or even apoligise or make up for it in his actions, but in his murder
  • Options
    The burgualr was on someone elses land, tresspassing. In someone elses house at night.
    Is that punishable by death then?

Can we torture them as well? I'm sure you'd enjoy that.
  • Options
    if your not religious then your a hypercrite for using it.

how am i hypocrite, explain please!?

is it cause i dont bow down to an almighty god or something who will kill me for not believing, i didnt even think christians belived that! if all that shit really existed ill be judged by god on judgement day not some idiot on a internet forum

im allowed to read someones words and think "i like that idea" you know, no crime for it, so dont shoot me! :lol:
  • Options
    you can't go round picking shit out of the bible and say you should believe this because i do...

example the turn the other cheek

wtf just cause its the bible dont make it special, in my personal beliefs anyway, and since the bible is technically a collection of ministories and sayings, then i have every right to pick and choose individual things which i agree with, which in my opinion make the world a fairer place
  • Options
    and where did i say you should believe it, but you are a christian you claim thus believe in the new testament which that section is part of, unless you can argue it means something else that is
  • Options
    your crazy mate!
    Well you are the one who says it's okay to murder someone for breaking and entering, not me.

If you think a human life is worth so little then you probably think it's also okay to torture them a bit before shooting them.
  • Options
    i just believe in what i believe in. simple as that.

well dont say your a christian then... cause technically your not, your just similar-ish since that line forms a basis for the christian religion ie treat those as you want to be treated, and that it isnt your right to judge someones morality
  • Options
    my attitude has changed, i am my own beliefs, i dont label anymore.

well you always say "i said ehat i bleieve before"

and you normaly say ur a christian, so if you are, do and believe as it says!
  • Options
    see what i mean... your crazy mate

i hope you will be able to understand me some day

i guess you will like me and i'd like y7ou. we just dont understand ecah other. we just assume rubbish all time

peace
    Do you believe that people should have the right to murder a burglar even when they are not in danger?

Yes or no?
  • Options
    OK, the law is the law... But say for example you live in the country 5 miles from a town and an intruder comes in to the home. You're a woman who's husband is out at work (for arguements sake he works a night shift) and your three year old daughter and eight year old son are sleeping in bed.

It'd take a while for the police to turn up and you don't know who the hell is downstairs. They could hurt you or... More importantly your children.

I think it's easy to say that it's not right to murder a burglar, but in reality you could be frightened for your loved ones... You don't know who the fuck is downstairs or what their intentions are. Sometimes people snap under that sort of pressure.

I don't believe in killing burglars of course... But to 'murder' there's always a motivation and some psychological research shows that even in the most gentle of people, there can be a killer.