Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Environment

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    there may well be some built in mechanism then for dealing with such natural events.
    like the oceans and the rain forrests both of which we have stripped and damaged.

the the thing we pump more crap into the air, then remove the natural buffer mechanisms like trees etc which soak it all up

and volcanoes themselves buffer as they may pump a lot of gas but the solid they pump into the air, blocks out the sun too, so producing big cycles of hot then cold then hot then cold
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    the the thing we pump more crap into the air, then remove the natural buffer mechanisms like trees etc which soak it all up

and volcanoes themselves buffer as they may pump a lot of gas but the solid they pump into the air, blocks out the sun too, so producing big cycles of hot then cold then hot then cold
    in my lifetime there have been many large erruptions ...didn't notice much change in temperature.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Yes, I think we are. :)

Even when it's clear that what we do is nothing compared to the activity of volcanoes?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Even when it's clear that what we do is nothing compared to the activity of volcanoes?
    there may well be some built in mechanism then for dealing with such natural events.
    like the oceans and the rain forrests both of which we have stripped and damaged
  • Options
    like the oceans and the rain forrests both of which we have stripped and damaged

Sorry, just read that above.

Which again, returns to the question, how much slack is there in the system?
  • Options
    in my lifetime there have been many large erruptions ...didn't notice much change in temperature.

haha i mean big scale eruptions, which we humans have never seen, like non typical volcanoes, as in they are lakes of magma and extremely high pressure gases, all stuck under a layer of crust, like yellowstone national park in america has literally blown up in past.
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    haha i mean big scale eruptions, which we humans have never seen, like non typical volcanoes, as in they are lakes of magma and extremely high pressure gases, all stuck under a layer of crust, like yellowstone national park in america has literally blown up in past.

Yellowstone will take the state with it when it goes.

There was a supervolcanic explosion that reduced the human population on earth to the thousands about 600000 years ago.
  • Options
    Sorry, just read that above.

Which again, returns to the question, how much slack is there in the system?
    i think the problem may well be that it is manmade and the way it is pumped out ...instead of a big bang a 24hr stream of it ...with huge cities giving off big heat 24hrs a day ...to such an extent that spring arrives earlier in the city than it does in the countryside.
    we have no real way of knowing how much slack there is or isn't.
  • Options
    There being a difference between town and country isn't really surprising, microclimates exist. However, if we can't be sure how much slack there is, how can we be sure we're to blame?
  • Options
    if we can't be sure how much slack there is, how can we be sure we're to blame?
    why take the chance?
    we need to clean up our act.
    this world could be very very beautiful ...but we use it and treat it like a toilet.
    not a good idea.
  • Options

Oh well, it doesn't matter what we do to the planet then. My mistake.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Oh well, it doesn't matter what we do to the planet then. My mistake.

:) Sorry, i'm deliberatly playing devils advocate, it encourages further thought in the matter.

It may not matter what we do to the planet, on the basis that in the scheme of things (the planet's life-span) it won't really make any difference. It all depends on how much we want to live.
  • Options
    I had a quick look at the BBC website it has a section on global warming

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/sci_nat/04/climate_change/html/climate.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3928017.stm

There is slack in the system, however our actions are tipping the balance which has existed in nature for millions of years.

Volcanoes do release CO2 and some scientists have argued that volcanic activity in the past has bought about mass extinctions. But volcanic activity does not explain the way that CO2 started to increase when societies started to industrialize and started using fossil fuels.
  • Options
    :) Sorry, i'm deliberatly playing devils advocate, it encourages further thought in the matter.

It may not matter what we do to the planet, on the basis that in the scheme of things (the planet's life-span) it won't really make any difference. It all depends on how much we want to live.
    here you go fiend ...i believe your a xtian ...the last sentance in revelation 11 v 18 ...seems to suggest that yes we are to blame.
  • Options
    :D

Revelation 11:18
    The people of the world were angry, but your anger has come. The time has come to judge the dead and to reward your servants the prophets and your holy people, all who respect you, great and small. The time has come to destroy those who destroy the earth!

Well done rolly. I bow to you.
  • Options

Well done rolly. I bow to you.
    any chance of a bit of scraping as well?
  • Options
    Why would you get more than anyone else?

Now, what is the best way forward?
  • Options

Revelation 11:18
    The time has come to destroy those who destroy the earth!

interesting sentence aye?
  • Options
    Why would you get more than anyone else?

Now, what is the best way forward?
    well if theres any truth in that sentence ...clean up your act!
  • Options
    interesting sentence aye?

Especially considering

quote:
    Originally posted by J
    Like some kind of two headed beast rising up!
  • Options
    THE TIME OF THE SECOND COMING IS UPON US! ALL YE SINNERS REPENT OR SUFFER THE WRATH OF GOD!!!!one111one!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    The earth is a living organism, and we are the disease it tries to get cured of. Floods, hurricanes etc. are only defense mechanisms.
    I don't remember who said it (or the exact wording) but I get more and more convinced that it's true.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    I don't remember who said it (or the exact wording) but I get more and more convinced that it's true.
    i'm convinced the other way.
    without humans there would not realy be any point in the planet.
  • Options
    i'm convinced the other way.
    without humans there would not realy be any point in the planet.

Elaborate?
  • Options
    Elaborate?
    your a pain the arse today fiend!
    no inteligent minds to wonder ...to look at the stars ...to measure and build ...to record ...no history.
    the planet earth would be just like all the other dead planets but with cows.
  • Options
    Would that mean there is no point? Or does there have to be conciousness for thought and therefore a point to exist?
  • Options
    Would that mean there is no point? Or does there have to be conciousness for thought and therefore a point to exist?
    it would be such a shame ...such a waste ...for such a fabulous planet to exist without high inteligence and the gift of creativity to enjoy it all ...we are not a disease.
  • Options
    We are fallen.
  • Options
    We are fallen.
    and dragging everything down with us at this rat5e.
  • Options
    Global Warming? Natural Selection.

Humans evolved brains in order to use and abuse the landscape around them.

Like (for example) if i went hunting and shot a goose , thats pure natural selection.