Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

jesus and god?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    are you confused because catholics protest that virginal birth is 'nondoctronial'.

yoou said:
    is it possible to believe in Jesus as the son of man but not as the son of man?

A man?

i get the same visions as you SuperHuman, we talked b4?... don't be thinking because you've witessed and felt god you have sort of samaritan like burden to discharge to society. KNOW WHAT i mean? you're not obligated to a life of sin free, virginal life.. i'm thinking of becoming catholic myself i too am very spiritual

i think god should represent the human race as originally found. we're naturally competitive and all capable of all things including murder.. its only civilised society that keeps us together...

write back.. got a lecture now. syas
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheSovereign
    are you confused because catholics protest that virginal birth is 'nondoctronial'.

yoou said:
    is it possible to believe in Jesus as the son of man but not as the son of man?

A man?

i get the same visions as you SuperHuman, we talked b4?... don't be thinking because you've witessed and felt god you have sort of samaritan like burden to discharge to society. KNOW WHAT i mean? you're not obligated to a life of sin free, virginal life.. i'm thinking of becoming catholic myself i too am very spiritual

i think god should represent the human race as originally found. we're naturally competitive and all capable of all things including murder.. its only civilised society that keeps us together...

write back.. got a lecture now. syas
    god won't look kindly on you becoming a catholic ...he hates the practise of bowing before idols ...he doesn't allow people to be called father in a religous sense ...your getting conned.
  • Options
    morrocan roll.. so you're not a christian??
    or are you??
    why do you hate religion?

yes... Jesus was a real person... as many people have stated... he's in historical records..

however, if you don't believe in Jesus as God, your Savior, you're not a christian...

also.... what do you mean by a "religious" person?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Angel121077
    morrocan roll.. so you're not a christian??
    or are you??
    why do you hate religion?

yes... Jesus was a real person... as many people have stated... he's in historical records..

however, if you don't believe in Jesus as God, your Savior, you're not a christian...

also.... what do you mean by a "religious" person?
    i'm just me ...i don't belong.
    i actualy believe in a creator ...i believe the bible to be an amazing book with a lot of historical truth ...even prophetic truth ...or news before it happens if you like ...i don't believ christ to be god ...i think the catholic church is actualy an anti christ in everything it does.
    i hate organised religion.
    i think the pope should be thrown in jail for fraud and deception.
    leyts say that satan is a real live entity ...missleading the inhabitants of the earth ...wanting to be worshipped ...wouldn't he set up a religion that fooled people ...maybe even fooled them into thinking they were worshipping god?
    if the bible has any insight into what god would expect of us ...what pleases and displeases him ...how come the catholic church goes against as much bible teaching as possible?
    how come the fat one calls himself 'the most holy father'?
    surely that is a direct challenge to god.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    i'm just me ...i don't belong.
    i actualy believe in a creator ...i believe the bible to be an amazing book with a lot of historical truth ...even prophetic truth ...or news before it happens if you like ...i don't believ christ to be god ...i think the catholic church is actualy an anti christ in everything it does.
    i hate organised religion.
    i think the pope should be thrown in jail for fraud and deception.
    leyts say that satan is a real live entity ...missleading the inhabitants of the earth ...wanting to be worshipped ...wouldn't he set up a religion that fooled people ...maybe even fooled them into thinking they were worshipping god?
    if the bible has any insight into what god would expect of us ...what pleases and displeases him ...how come the catholic church goes against as much bible teaching as possible?
    how come the fat one calls himself 'the most holy father'?
    surely that is a direct challenge to god.

you make incredibly good points.. and that's why i too don't believe in what the catholic church believes...
    i mean, the Bible says that only God can judge and forgive your sins, so how can a priest tell you that your sins are forgiven if you tell him? you know?? only God can determine that...
    but there are other types of christians rather than Catholics...
    i was just wondering if you were a christian because you are so knowledgeable about it... to be honest, i am extremely impressed with your knowledge of the bible, the history, even what displeases God...
    and just because you are a christian doesn't necessarily mean you belong to an "organized religion"
    you can go by your own beliefs and call yourself a christian... the Bible can be intrepreted in so many different ways because no matter what, the translation will never be perfect, compared to the real thing...
    but, the only thing you need is to believe that Jesus is Christ, which you have stated that you don't...
    and what you said about Lucifer, is true, however something like that is going to happen in the future.. as far as i can tell, you know your shit.. so i'm sure that you know that there will be an anti-Christ... whom people will believe to be the real Christ, and worship him...
    and satan doesn't necessarily only want us to worship him.. he wants to do everything in his power to keep us from going to Heaven..
  • Options
    you make incredibly good points.. and that's why i too don't believe in what the catholic church believes...
    i mean, the Bible says that only God can judge and forgive your sins, so how can a priest tell you that your sins are forgiven if you tell him? you know?? only God can determine that...
    but there are other types of christians rather than Catholics...
    i was just wondering if you were a christian because you are so knowledgeable about it... to be honest, i am extremely impressed with your knowledge of the bible, the history, even what displeases God...
    and just because you are a christian doesn't necessarily mean you belong to an "organized religion"
    you can go by your own beliefs and call yourself a christian... the Bible can be intrepreted in so many different ways because no matter what, the translation will never be perfect, compared to the real thing...
    but, the only thing you need is to believe that Jesus is Christ, which you have stated that you don't...
    and what you said about Lucifer, is true, however something like that is going to happen in the future.. as far as i can tell, you know your shit.. so i'm sure that you know that there will be an anti-Christ... whom people will believe to be the real Christ, and worship him...
    and satan doesn't necessarily only want us to worship him.. he wants to do everything in his power to keep us from going to Heaven..
    see i don't believe in all that going to heaven either.
    the bible says the meek will inherit the earth.
    if you go into old graveyards and read some of the inscriptions on tombstones ...they mostly talk about waiting for the ressurection ...the dead rising from the ground ...the sea giving up it's dead.
    the bible also speaks of the dead being conscious of nothing.

the only reason i have any bible knowledge is from being in jail ...having a bible with those very thin pages was handy ...great for using as cigarrette papers. i smoked my way through the book of revelation first.
    but ...i had pangs of guilt about it ...always liked to hedge my bets you see ...so i would read the page before smoking it.
    some pages i read and re read ...found it fascinating.
    the prison chaplain could never answer my questions satisfactorily.
    not saying i'm right ...just sharing my point of view.
  • Options
    see i don't believe in all that going to heaven either.
    the bible says the meek will inherit the earth.
    if you go into old graveyards and read some of the inscriptions on tombstones ...they mostly talk about waiting for the ressurection ...the dead rising from the ground ...the sea giving up it's dead.
    the bible also speaks of the dead being conscious of nothing.

the only reason i have any bible knowledge is from being in jail ...having a bible with those very thin pages was handy ...great for using as cigarrette papers. i smoked my way through the book of revelation first.
    but ...i had pangs of guilt about it ...always liked to hedge my bets you see ...so i would read the page before smoking it.
    some pages i read and re read ...found it fascinating.
    the prison chaplain could never answer my questions satisfactorily.
    not saying i'm right ...just sharing my point of view.

there are a couple things you have to take into consideration, first of all there is a bit of symbolic writing... the book of John i have read numerous times, and each time i learn something new, something i haven't noticed before...
    secondly, i'm sure that the bible was not translated 100% correctly...

i was just saying how i'm very impressed with your knowledge... i think that it's awesome....
    and many things you say are right...

and i have to ask you this... though you might probably scoff at it...
    but don't you think there's a reason that you had pangs of guilt.... so as a result.. you read almost the whole bible???
    that's more than i have read....
    and also... if you had pangs of guilt.. don't you think that means you believe... even a little?? otherwise you wouldn't have cared... b/c if you truly believed that there was no God, and i'm talking about the God in the bible... not just any creator... then the bible would have been just like any story book to you... and you woudln't have felt guilty for smoking them away....

and just out of curiosity.... what parts fascinated you the most?? i would like to read them....
  • Options

and just out of curiosity.... what parts fascinated you the most?? i would like to read them....
    oh god ...oops ... where do i start?
    i come from an atheist family.
    but had to endure religous education at school.
    what i was taught was all the nice little stories about jesus.
    what i read for myself ...was different to what i had been taught.
    things like ...do not be called father ...
    abednigo and his mates refusing to bow before idlols cos it displeased their god ...yet seeing the church people bowing before idols.
    the fact that meek and mild jesus ...actualy got seriously angry with the religous people to the point of trashing the place.
    a verse about priests liking to wear special robes to set themselves apart from others and sit at the top of the table when invited round for dinner.
    the fact that jesus called the religous leaders hypocrites and vipers and sons of satan ...just how i picture them.
    a verse which says ...so you are teaching men not to marry ...this is not what we taught you but the teachings of demons ...again priests came to mind. (ist timothy 4:3
    i smoked revelation first and found a whore called babylon ...
    who's seat of power lay on seven hills ...(rome?) who's robes and timbers and insence ...are well described ...having power over many people ...god asking HIS people to get out of her ...meaning i pressume people who were praying to him but being misled by a ...harlot who is described as the mother of harlots .and has the name 'mystery' painted on her ...the catholic church calls itself female and the mother of all churches and uses the word mystery a lot ...not only does the catholic church call itself female but ...declares itself to be the bride of christ ..in revelation this whore who sits on the seven hills has also been a fornicator ...unfaithful to her husband by living it up with the kings and generals and merchants of the earth ...
    revelation17 through 18 if memory serves me correctly.
    read it and tell me who else upon this planet these verses could possibly be describing other than the catholic church ...the popes who not only ignore the command not to be called father ...but have the gall to call themselves ...the most holy father.
    who teach their priests not to marry ...who killed all the saints in these verses? the catholic church has a history of murdering anyone who spoke out against their teachings ...anuone who dared to translate the bible into peoples common languages ...anyone who exposed or challenged the teachings of the church ...you tell me who it can be describing if i'm wrong.
    i was electrified when i discovered in the prison library ...that this thinking is old ...it's not just me.
  • Options
    Rolly

I bow to you sir.
  • Options
    Re: Rolly
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    I bow to you sir.
    it's all coming back to me now ...someone in the bible bowed before an angel and the angel told the person they must never do that ...he was just a messenger ...
  • Options
    Sounds OT message from God, or Revalation styly... Give me a few years and I'll have it down.
  • Options
    I'm a believer that Jesus being the 'son of God' is metaphorical... He exists, but is used as an example as to how 'God' (sentient or not, that's another debate) wants us to be... A personification so to speak.

However, a lot of the Bible is thought to be taken from Sumerian mythology anyway. So it could be simply myth layered over real life accounts... Modified, touched up and used for the church.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    I'm a believer that Jesus being the 'son of God' is metaphorical... He exists, but is used as an example as to how 'God' (sentient or not, that's another debate) wants us to be... A personification so to speak.

good theory but if there is a God, the "personification" so to speak should be shown through us, not some man a couple of thousand years ago, all this original sin is a cover up, humans are weak, humans don't have control, humans wallow in religion to hide their own self pity, their own fears and always put a smile on their faces, as if oging to mass is a good thing, that they're good decent people, don't tell me they don't secretly masturbate, fantasize about murder or other sick things that we shouldn't think about.
  • Options
    This thread has made me want to start reading my bible again.
    Think I might skip numbers tho....
  • Options
    As a newly-converted Christian, debates like this never fail to intrigue me. God can be different things to different people. I was taught a lot of this by a long-time Christian friend, who encouraged me to convert. It took me a little while to make a connection with God, but it was worth the patience. I'm convinced I have him to thank for the fact I've recently met a very special person to me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by stargalaxy
    As a newly-converted Christian, debates like this never fail to intrigue me. God can be different things to different people. I was taught a lot of this by a long-time Christian friend, who encouraged me to convert. It took me a little while to make a connection with God, but it was worth the patience. I'm convinced I have him to thank for the fact I've recently met a very special person to me.

i've connected to God without all this christ bollocks, every religion in the world is too obsessed with ritual, image and worship, is it not alright to sit by yourself and be one with god, do u need to go to mass or pray everyday to prove you are religious, hell no.
  • Options

There have been a couple of times when I have felt a connection with God, or what I believe to be a connection. I dont pray anymore because the things I tend to pray for are selfish and therefore are not granted. The last time I prayed it was before my aunt died. I prayed that she would stay alive just that little bit longer so that I could say goodbye. She died before I got to see her one last time. This was selfish of me to ask because she would have been in pain just that little bit longer.

When I used to go to church there were people saying that they had visions and saw angels singing in the back of the church but I never saw it. I felt it. I could feel a presance, at first it was cold and I got goosebumbs, then I felt this amazing sence of love. Like I knew someone was looking out for me.

I feel so weird talking about this lol.

I dont go to church now becuase I dont like the people preaching at me telling me that I will go to hell for having sex and saying bad words. I believe that as long as you are good to the best of your ability then God will love you no matter what happens in life
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    i've connected to God without all this christ bollocks, every religion in the world is too obsessed with ritual, image and worship, is it not alright to sit by yourself and be one with god, do u need to go to mass or pray everyday to prove you are religious, hell no.

:yes:
    you are right.. in fact the bible says, do not be like the pagans who pray on the streets and blah blah blah just for praise... but instead do it in private...
    b/c praise is all the reward you will get... but if you do it in private.. He will store treasures for you up in heaven...

and i'm not sure if i read this correctly or not.. but i kinda skimmed through the posts.. (except morroccan roll's b/c his knowledge amazes me...)
    and i think someone said that Jesus is an example of what we're supposed to be...
    and that's true.. we are supposed to aim to be "Christ-like"
    but Christ's greatest command (it's in the book of John, not sure what verse) is, "love one another as I have loved you." and when you follow this command, all the other rules will follow...
    and no matter what.. a human cannot reach perfection... which is the whole point of Him coming down and lowering Himself to a mere human... so that we would have salvation...
    so as a result.. there is no one who is "more religious" than another.. b/c everyone has sinned...
    and i have no idea what my point was anymore.. or where i was going with that...
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough

I keep my religion very close to my heart. Not even my parents know that I've become a Christian. I never go to church, because I'd rather not be lectured at. And I'd rather not sit in a damp, cold church on a Sunday morning sitting on hard wooden chairs, and spending the rest of the week suffering from piles. No, I prefer to keep things close to me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zella
    There have been a couple of times when I have felt a connection with God, or what I believe to be a connection. The last time I prayed it was before my aunt died. I prayed that she would stay alive just that little bit longer so that I could say goodbye. She died before I got to see her one last time. This was selfish of me to ask because she would have been in pain just that little bit longer.
    My aunty died earlier this year. She was in hospital, and had contracted that ghastly MRSA bug. I was saddened, I had planned to go and see her, but she died before it happened. It taught me: tell people you love them before it's too late.
    I dont go to church now becuase I dont like the people preaching at me telling me that I will go to hell for having sex and saying bad words. I believe that as long as you are good to the best of your ability then God will love you no matter what happens in life.
    I fully agree with you on this, Zella.
  • Options
    none of you have much of a concept of god i'd wager.
  • Options

Please elaborate?
  • Options
    Please elaborate?
    no.
    you elaborate.
    i'm off to bed.
    goodnight and god bless.
  • Options

My concept of God is rather strange. I dont believe that he is this big guy with a long beard sitting on a cloud in heaven. I'm not sure what I think heaven is yet...I believe God to be a sprit, you cant see him or touch him, he is everywhere at once, he lives inside of you, in your heart. Not your physical heart mind, but the heart that you feel love and hate with, your soul type heart. I dont know how to explain it very well. Its hard to put into words.
    Psalm 139 really gets to me. It explains what I think of God much better than I can explain in my own words.

God IMO, does not do anything, he cannont stop you from doing anything. We have been given free will therefore we are free to do what we like. But we have been given this for a reason. He didnt want us to be robots following his every command to the T.
    We are free, but we have also been given a set of rules to follow at our will. Some of them are strict rules which should not be broken, such as do not murder and do not steal, but others such as do not covert thy neighbours ass(which i think means...either dont shag your mates donkey or dont wish for things that do not belong to you) are not so strict. I mean to wish for something that isnt yours is considered a sin, but isnt it just human nature to want more?
    I dont think God would mind if I wanted my mates top, but he would mind if I nicked it off her.

Ok I've gone off track here but I hope I've given you some insight as to my concept of God.
  • Options
    :lol: at the comment about Pagans praying on the street.

At the moment I haven't had much time to meditate or get close to what I revere... work work work and now I'm disconnected I feel a bit low (or maybe it's because I'm low that I disconnect).

Anyway... My theory on God... How can something that is soley male create life? It ain't gonna happen is it...

Personally I believe in a greater spirit, an energy that is inspiration, that is both love and hatred at the same time... It fules emotion, it is our muse, our best friend and worst enemy... It has a connection with each of us and seasons of darkness and light... And further more it also connects each and every one of us on another level.

This force has dual polarities and has been called so many names... Often the female part of it is left out and a few will leave out the male part... But I don't see why both male and female should not be revered together.
  • Options
    :lol: at the comment about Pagans praying on the street.

why is that funny???

it seriously says that...
  • Options
    Anyway... My theory on God... How can something that is soley male create life? It ain't gonna happen is it...

that is a seriously narrow minded view of the God of the bible.

Matt6:5"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites , for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 6But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

the bible also talks about fellowship, sharing and joint worship - its not all about sitting in your room on your own

- people do this - take one passage and don't read it in the context of the rest of the bible - the bible isn't a supermarket, we can't pick and choose, only taking what we want. As MR once said to me, its not about choosing what’s comfortable, its about searching for the truth.

now

God is many things, most of which none of us can ever imagine - our brains are too small, too restricted by our own views, prejudices, cultures and upbringing.

for me perhaps the best descriptions of what God is can be found in 1 John 4

God is Love, Jesus Christ was the embodiment of God - that is why he was such an amazing person - he took the abstract, the incomprehensible and made it real to those who followed him.

God is in everything - the OM, dwelling in all that exists
  • Options

God is neither sex. The reason that God is said to be male is because at the time the bible was written males were seen as the superier. IMO its better to say He rather than He/She/It.
  • Options
    i know where the heavens are ...where the spirit world is ...where god lives.
    with a pen put a load of random spots on a piece of paper.
    these spots represent the atoms that make up our material universe. from you to the table to the universe.
    everything we know as being solid is actualy an illusion as there is more space than solid in any given thing. everything is vibrating.
    look at your spots ...they don't connect with each other. but the space is one space ...in touch with itself all the time everywhere.
    here lay the home of the spirit world.
    not within matter but within one space that covers and surrounds all of material existence.
    when it is said that god is everywhere ...think of the space that holds the matter.
  • Options
    why is that funny???

it seriously says that...

Because I've never known a Pagan to pray on the street at all.. Kinda makes 'em sound like beggers. lol
    God is neither sex. The reason that God is said to be male is because at the time the bible was written males were seen as the superier. IMO its better to say He rather than He/She/It.

For tradition's sake perhaps...