Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

evryfink.

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by morrocan roll

never having watche big bruvver i can't realy comment but ...i'm sure it's not mindless violence of the corrupting kind.
    more a bit of reality

When there was violence on the last BB it was highly cut, you didnt see them really fighting, although we knew that things were getting heated in there.

Most kids go to bed for shool the following day...well thats responsible adults like myself who think 9 yr olds should be in bed 8-8:30 on a school night.....BB used to start at 9pm during the week.

When BB goes live they are warned about swearing, she says "Big Brother house, this is Davina, you are live on Channel 4, please do not swear"

They see more violence on Eastenders or Corrie so I aint got the foggiest why dr is making an exhibition out of this for.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    When there was violence on the last BB it was highly cut,

Not really on the late repeat.
  • Options
    you should hear it with a welsh accent!

I don't have a welsh accent do I rolly? :eek2:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    Not really on the late repeat.

Sorry, I meant on the earlier showing.

Id hope kids were in bed at the time the later one was shown.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    The real violence is in the playground. It always has been - long before violent movies were common.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Sorry, I meant on the earlier showing.

Id hope kids were in bed at the time the later one was shown.

Define "kids".

Younger teenagers are just kids, but 14 year olds would see it. And they are the most impressionable, far mroe than younger kids.
  • Options
    Originally posted by chaos_insomniac
    I don't have a welsh accent do I rolly? :eek2:
    i don't fink you do actualy chaos ...but wrexham is realy in england according to the bala people.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Define "kids".

Younger teenagers are just kids, but 14 year olds would see it. And they are the most impressionable, far mroe than younger kids.

14 yr olds would probably be like myself.....pissing themselves laughing at the contestants when they have a squabble.

If you want to take it that bit further then look at it this way. They see people arguing but then they make up....everyone says sorry and its all forgotten.
    Now on some of these action movies they see 'the good' and 'the bad'......they rarely make up and are out to kill each other......so yes I agree on BB there is arguing, but not to the extent that some people are trying to make out. BB is no where near as bad as some of the movies we see.
  • Options
    14 yr olds would probably be like myself.....pissing themselves laughing at the contestants when they have a squabble.

If you want to take it that bit further then look at it this way. They see people arguing but then they make up....everyone says sorry and its all forgotten.
    Now on some of these action movies they see 'the good' and 'the bad'......they rarely make up and are out to kill each other......so yes I agree on BB there is arguing, but not to the extent that some people are trying to make out. BB is no where near as bad as some of the movies we see.
    the way the world is going BB ...arguing will be illegal soon.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Define "kids".

At the end of the day mate it was 'real', they could have just as easilly seen the fight in the street or at school.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive
    At the end of the day mate it was 'real', they could have just as easilly seen the fight in the street or at school.

True.....very true.
  • Options
    Fighting is fighting, people are always going to have their difference and disagree on things and punch each others lights out.

:banghead:
  • Options
    wrexham is realy in england according to the bala people.

The who? (No references to Roger Daltrey please.)
  • Options
  • Options

:yes:

but i don't watch BB.......because it's crap.

infact i don't watch much TV at all.

and only little shits who think that they can own the world are THAT impressionable by the age of 14.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    The who? (No references to Roger Daltrey please.)
    bala ...corwen ...carrog ...little villages around north wales ...like 25 miles from wrexham ...
    if a corwen person goes for a drink in bala ...5 miles apart ...a huge fight will ensue often involving a stabbing.
    i am not exagerating here or taking the piss ...if your from one village there is a tribal thing ...mountain boy mentality ...that you do not come into their terrortry.
    being english is dangerous. but ...they are that busy fighting each other that you can get away with it.
    wrexham is a medium sized industrial town on the english border which the sawmill boys see as being england.
    thisis hillbilly country ...seriously. tribal warfare. stabbings are a regular occurence.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    Fighting is fighting, people are always going to have their difference and disagree on things and punch each others lights out.

:banghead:

Definitely.

I just don't like BB because it is cheap and tacky- it is exploiting otehr people's emotions of entertainment and for money. Yeah, they chose to be on it, but it's voyeurism at its very worst.

Violence in films was what I was talking about, though.
  • Options

Not necessarily. 14 year olds are sometimes so rash and unpredictable that you have absolutely no idea what they're going to do next. You can link more murders by 14-16 year olds to what they have seen on television, movies and videos than you can to any other age group.

I'm trying to say that kids will watch BB and then go out and start fights. I'm saying that we ought to be careful, because this show is heavily billed as 'reality tv', hence creating the illusion that 'this is reality, this is what people do'. I know you and I know it's all been strategically engineered to create these situations, however we can't seriously know how a kid sees it unless we have some psychic power.
  • Options
    bala ...corwen ...carrog ...little villages
    stabbings are a regular occurence.

Ah right. I see. It's simillar in some parts of the Highlands.
  • Options
    I'd just like to say I was really out of order to lots of people last night and it really wasn't fair. I'm not trying to get everyone to say 'aww, i'm sorry i judged you' or anything, i'm just asking people to give me the benefit of the doubt.

I do, however, stand by what I said earlier in this thread, and i'd like to add that we cannot truly say that nothing is absorbed about socially acceptable behaviour from BB. I'm not saying things are absorbed, i'm saying we need to be careful with this type of programming.

I think it's totally shite anyway, but that's my opinion.
  • Options
    It's most common with 14-16 year old kids down south.
  • Options
    It makes me think of snotty little schoolboys with adenoid problems.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dr_carter
    I'm trying to say that kids will watch BB and then go out and start fights.
    Are you having a laugh. There was one little fight, handbags at 10 paces. They will definately see worse things weekly in the playground. I can accept your view that the show is shit because I thought that until the last one when BB went evil but to say this kind of show could be related to kids violence is an absolute joke. You could say the same about Karate kid, but I bet most of us watched it when we were little without rampaging around the school playground karate chopping pressure points in peoples necks.