Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

evryfink.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by dr_carter
    Come on, be realistic here.

How much research has gone into showing that children mimic what they see on television, films and video games?

As a mother, do you really want your children growing up and having tons of fights with people because it was on Big Brother so they see it as alright?
    how do you know whats happening then?
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    how do you know whats happening then?

On Big Brother?

BBC News...
  • Options

As a mother, do you really want your children growing up and having tons of fights with people because it was on Big Brother so they see it as alright?

You are talking out of your arse........wake up will ya.

You obviously know nothing at all about me whatsoever because you would not have made that comment.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit

What a load of bollocks. There are far worse examples of violence in other television and film. Plus most of it goes out after the watershed.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    People who speak with an Estuary English accent, or use EE dialectal words, should be stabbed in the head.

Big Brother particpants* should be stabbed in the head. It'd be more entertaining (*the only exception to this would be that Scouse guy, who has used his "fame" for good and seems a reet gud blerk).

Anyone who thinks BB is good should be subjected to a slight electrical shock until they learn not to;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive
    What a load of bollocks. There are far worse examples of violence in other television and film. Plus most of it goes out after the watershed.

Thank you, I think I be correct in that many violent crimes have been commited by youngsters when they have copied something they have seen on a video nasty.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    People who speak with an Estuary English accent, or use EE dialectal words, should be stabbed in the head.

Big Brother particpants* should be stabbed in the head. It'd be more entertaining (*the only exception to this would be that Scouse guy, who has used his "fame" for good and seems a reet gud blerk).

Anyone who thinks BB is good should be subjected to a slight electrical shock until they learn not to;)

I will expect BeckyBoo to attack Kermit now, otherwise it'll be clear to me that I can say anything and she'll just argue with me because she wants to.

I'd also like to point out that while I don't know her, she doesn't know me. I never pretended that I did know her.
  • Options

Big deal. Children still find out about these things. What's to say they're not making a mental connection 'it happened on a TV show so it must be alright'?
  • Options

dont you start as well :mad:
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    You are talking out of your arse........wake up will ya.

Why am I talking out of my arse?

Because children copy what happens on TV and you don't want to associate that with a programme you love so much?
  • Options
    I will expect BeckyBoo to attack Kermit now, otherwise it'll be clear to me that I can say anything and she'll just argue with me because she wants to.

Hey it doesent matter who says something on here, if I dont agree with what they are saying i tell em.......so dont think your getting special treatment darling, cos your not.
  • Options
    Hey it doesent matter who says something on here, if I dont agree with what they are saying i tell em.......so dont think your getting special treatment darling, cos your not.

Well I do feel like i'm being victimised sometimes.
  • Options
    Big deal. Children still find out about these things. What's to say they're not making a mental connection 'it happened on a TV show so it must be alright'?

You going to stop the news broadcasting pictures of riots and wars. Don't be a tit.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Why am I talking out of my arse?

Cos you are....thats why :rolleyes:
  • Options

By me ? if you have a problem then report it.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I don't know if it's the same there, but here 70% of the people who've played in a BB-like thing become crappy-but-popular singers when they're out if they're men and covers in playboy if they're women. IMO, that's reason enough not to watch them.
    They're not choosing random people to let in a game, they're purposefully choosing some of them.
  • Options
    You going to stop the news broadcasting pictures of riots and wars. Don't be a tit.

I didn't mention news. There are thousands of child psychologists working on adoptive behavioural patterns from media sources and video games. This is one perfectly good reason why they have the watershed. This is why news reports often have the little 'the pictures in this report may be distressing' thing, to allow parents to take their children out of the room. The point is, children find out about Big Brother from all sorts of sources. Don't forget these are real people, and if real people can fight on TV, who's to say that doesn't justify fighting in real life to them?
  • Options

It's good to have strong opinions but you have to think carefully how you come across. If you come across as arogant you will most likely be given a hard time.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Cos you are....thats why :rolleyes:

Explain precisely what you think is inaccurate about my statements.
  • Options
    Explain precisely what you think is inaccurate about my statements.

No, cos your a tit and I cant be arsed.

tara :D
  • Options
    No, cos your a tit and I cant be arsed.

tara :D

I think that means i'm right and you just can't admit it.
  • Options
    well apparently domestic violence ...the kind where the husband smacks the wife in the gob and stuff ...is more common in middle class and upward type families than in working class ones ...so how do we deal with reality? not reality tv but REALITY?
  • Options
    Don't forget these are real people, and if real people can fight on TV, who's to say that doesn't justify fighting in real life to them?

And the same goes for the news. When there were riots in parliment square the other week the footage of the police battering the protestors wasn't preceeded by a warning of any sort. What sort of message do you think that gives?
    I think this is a silly line of argument. Violence exists in all walks of life. A little scrap after the watershed on BB is fuck all.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I think that means i'm right and you just can't admit it.

*Yawn* *Yawn*

Why are you trying to wind people up ?

Keep trying wont ya.........cos its having no effect on me yet.
  • Options
    Wow... You actually get to see a grown adult acting like a spoilt toddler? How fascinating.

I still don't get why it's so fantastic.

you should see spanish big brother. they actually have the big brother (gran hermano) channel HOW FUCKED UP IT THAT?

spanish reality TV is damn awful

someone:

PLEASE SHOOT DAVID BISBAL HIS VOICE FUCKING WELL KILLS MAN!!!! :eek2: please i beg you.

operation triunfo was a fucking mistake.

the repercusions of it..........the horrors.....oh the horrors....
  • Options
    *Yawn* *Yawn*

Why are you trying to wind people up ?

Keep trying wont ya.........cos its having no effect on me yet.
    is he boring you to death chuck?
  • Options
    On topic:I have a tendency to lapse into everyfinks when I'm tired. Tis shameful :(
    Off topic: Theres always someone who'll hate what someone else loves, and vice versa. And now lets get over it.
  • Options
    The doc is over-egging the pudding, but when the United Nations start copmmenting on how Hollywood violence breeds real life violence then I start sitting up and taking note.

The UN are concerned about the amopunt of violence in many Hollywood films, and how a lot of it is needless and projected against women. This is particularly true of sexual violence, which (in most cases) is used as titillation rather than as part of the plot.

The fact is that violence on TV and films serves to legitimise violence away from the screen. I'm not talking about "issues" in Corrie, but violence for violence's sake (such as in all Tarantino films) does this.
  • Options
    The doc is over-egging the pudding, but when the United Nations start copmmenting on how Hollywood violence breeds real life violence then I start sitting up and taking note.

The UN are concerned about the amopunt of violence in many Hollywood films, and how a lot of it is needless and projected against women. This is particularly true of sexual violence, which (in most cases) is used as titillation rather than as part of the plot.

The fact is that violence on TV and films serves to legitimise violence away from the screen. I'm not talking about "issues" in Corrie, but violence for violence's sake (such as in all Tarantino films) does this.
    i believe firmly that we are what we eat ...visual and auditory especialy.
    a diet of violent movies and games for youngsteras just has to be bad ...never having watche big bruvver i can't realy comment but ...i'm sure it's not mindless violence of the corrupting kind.
    more a bit of reality ...huge difference from the fantasy kind where there are no comebacks.
  • Options
    BB is just putting ten mental deficients in a house with nothing to do, in the hope that will fuck each other or stab each other. Or maybe even both. At the same time.

We are what we eat. But then we eat what we are- it's a vicious circle, and one that needs to be broken by Hollywood. It won't stop violence, but it'll stop glamourising it and making it look the correct way to live.