Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How come.....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
90% of the newbies don't last longer than a month top, then they go and never return... whats with this.. people sign up and go away:(

Comments

• Options
    I went away, but I came back again :D
  • Options
    ^^^^ me too.... but people like stargalaxy and fiend85 just keep on coming lol
  • Options
    :( awww... well i stayed and can't leave sadly, i've not even been here so long..
  • Options
    I guess it's because they're too frightened to become involved or something...
  • Options
    Originally posted by dr_carter
    I guess it's because they're too frightened to become involved or something...

it's not like people bully the n00bs... do they?:p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    :( awww... well i stayed and can't leave sadly

shame :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by SupaStar
    shame :p

:( Thats mean.. *adds to ignore list* meanie mc mean:p
  • Options
    it's not like people bully the n00bs... do they?:p

Yeah, but sometimes these boards turn into a violent slanging match of views. It can be quite daunting.
  • Options
    Yeah, but sometimes these boards turn into a violent slanging match of views. It can be quite daunting.

yup it certainly can, but yet it's only the odd knob jockey that goes off on a slagging rampage.. your mostly safe.. well aslong as you got kevlar armor ;)
  • Options
    yup it certainly can, but yet it's only the odd knob jockey that goes off on a slagging rampage.. your mostly safe.. well aslong as you got kevlar armor ;)

Generally speaking though, to be referred to as prick, cunt, dickhead, moron etc... just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't lend itself to good debating practise. Except in the Australian Parliament that is...
  • Options
    Generally speaking though, to be referred to as prick, cunt, dickhead, moron etc... just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't lend itself to good debating practise. Except in the Australian Parliament that is...

Well thats why these people stay out of politcs and debate, scary place there, i swear half of them never leave the forum:p
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster

not true. the slightest thing can set alot of people off.
  • Options
    Originally posted by littlemissy
    not true. the slightest thing can set alot of people off.

mmm i think out of the 11000 members the 1000regularish posters there are only a few (about 50) who would start a massive slagging match,

I think this place is becomeing worse at attracting new members,
  • Options
    mmm i think out of the 11000 members the 1000regularish posters there are only a few (about 50) who would start a massive slagging match,

Define regularish.

If there's a problem at attracting members surely the mods need to address it...
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster

there's not 1000ish regular posters. the ones who would start a slagging match are alot of the regular posters.

you of all people cant say that there isnt much slagging on the boards.

these boards intimidate people which is why they sign up and dont come back.
  • Options
    there's not 1000ish regular posters. the ones who would start a slagging match are alot of the regular posters.

I haven't been in a major slagging match for ages, it's alot better (for me anyway) than what it was ages ago:)
  • Options

These boards are a bit like the Church of England really.

It's very much a case of them and us, those who come in from the outside are generally welcomed, but are intimidated by the internal abuse and banter, feel excluded and decide they really can't be bothered.
  • Options
    These boards are a bit like the Church of England really.

But without the cake. And I don't think these boards where started by Henry the Eigth. I could be wrong though.

I'd imagine that a lot of people sign up for a specific problem and either get a reply or just forget about the board.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Infinite
    But without the cake. And I don't think these boards where started by Henry the Eigth. I could be wrong though.

I'd imagine that a lot of people sign up for a specific problem and either get a reply or just forget about the board.

I meant in terms of the club aspect.

A lot of people just sign up, finito.
  • Options
    I meant in terms of the club aspect.

A lot of people just sign up, finito.

Ah. Then yes you're right. I'd imagine it would seem that there are a lot of in-jokes etc. I suppose that's always going to happen when you have people that have been on the boards for three years plus.
  • Options
    maybe the mods sign up with different names and never post to look like the boards popular ;)
  • Options
    maybe the mods sign up with different names and never post to look like the boards popular ;)

Probably so that Dom has stuff to thrust under the noses of the sponsors so that they actually get paid!
  • Options
    Probably so that Dom has stuff to thrust under the noses of the sponsors so that they actually get paid!

:yes: my thoughts eactley.. mods own up.. 9000 of the 11000 are you aren't they
  • Options
    Originally posted by Infinite

I think this is the most logical answer really - or they are just shy it took me ages to pluck up the courage to post anything. Though now I clearly have gotten over my fear of offending anyone.

x
  • Options
    There are some people joining though. What are the mods doing to promote TheSite?
  • Options
    I joined, became a regular (I think :P), left, forgot about this place, returned. Oh, and I also have another inactive username.

The boards don't seem worse now than they used to. Clique's will always exist, and people will always sign up, post once or twice or never, and then never be seen again.

I don't really think there's a problem here.
  • Options
    Whats wierd is there is virtually always a thread on here about how its getting worse. But if it were going down hill at the rate its said to be there would be no one left by now.

Members come and go. I actually think certain sections have gotten noticably better of late.

TheSite still plods onwards very much like it has done for the whole time I've been here.
  • Options
    I dunno. I think a lot of n00bs come in here and don't respect the etiqutte of the place and all that jazz, and piss people off. Mostly a flaming is deserved (sometimes it isn't though), and sometimes people just get petty and vindictive (map thread about Lukesh being a prime example of late). I still feel like a n00b sometimes though, and I've been here 3 years... :(
  • Options
    Or people sign up ask their question/query get the answers that they are looking for and don't feel the need to stick around and post again, untill perhaps a new situation arises for them?
  • Options
    cause their a rare breed mon peeps like us are way better you get me borther.