Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is Israel about to attack Iran?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by lukesh
    I think I can put my hand on my heart and say I trust the Uk and the United States to never use thier WMD unless someone else uses thier on the countries. We would never stroke first.
    The UK wouldn't. The US has made no secret that it has seriously considered the use of nuclear weapons in the past, most notably in Vietnam, and it is currently developing 'battlefield nukes' to target enemy troops and bunkers on a first-strike basis.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Funny how we don't hear you demanding that Pakistan is invaded and bombed and their nuclear facilities destroyed. As ever, for as long as the dictator in question is a puppet of the US, all is forgotten eh?

It's interesting that you've brought it up. Why aren't we invading to pacify Pakistan and India, it was only two years ago that the Home Office jerked everyone out of the region because they were waving nukes at each other.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    The UK wouldn't. The US has made no secret that it has seriously considered the use of nuclear weapons in the past, most notably in Vietnam, and it is currently developing 'battlefield nukes' to target enemy troops and bunkers on a first-strike basis.

Yeah, I do trust the UK more than the US but Nukes put the fear of God in me.
  • Options
    It's unacceptable as they are afriad of Israel maybe attacking them. They are trying to protect their selves.

It's unacceptable to protect yourself? Come on luke you said yourself that small posts don't cut it. You've got to be clear. Who's unacceptable, Iran or Israel?
  • Options
    I have asked for informaiton about their country, I havn't got detailed information. As far as I know Israel has the exact same demcracey as the Uk. Iran doesn't as far as I know.

Democracy doesn't equal freedom mate, the Third Reich was a democracy.

And it's clear that Israel doesn't have democracy in the way the UK does, the UK Government would never wall off Wales.
  • Options
    Fiend how many times... if you hate me so much leave me alone.

I don't waste my time hating people Luke. I'm telling you that you should look for things yourself in some cases. When you bring up an arguement about two countries you should really have looked up what they are like in advance.

I admit, today I asked Aladdin to provide more information, but his opening post was basically one line. So it's not quite the same.
  • Options
    You asked for information on Israel and the prevailing doctrines which has guided it from its creation to the present day and I gave you those links. You are less than honest in claiming you didn't receive links and you know it Luke.

Truth is you never bother to actually sit down and read any links that have more words than a comic book or a tabloid newspaper.
  • Options
    Right I know all the arguements about right wing sources, etc, etc...

But, I think you should throw this into your bookmarks Luke -

http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications/factbook/index.html

Yes, it's the CIA factbook but despite it's viewpoint it does provide a good overview of economy and history for every country in the world.

Many people would disagree with much of the content but it's a nice starting point to get past the whole - who are they, are they a democracy, when were they set up stuff.
  • Options
    The US has made no secret that it has seriously considered the use of nuclear weapons in the past, most notably in Vietnam

It was Korea where nukes were the closest to being deployed. And with good reason. The Chinese invaded the Korean peninsula.
    the UK Government would never wall off Wales.

The UK govt doesnt have murderous Welsh fanatics strapped with explosives blowing themselves up in the middle of London demanding that all English people leave Britain forever.
    the Third Reich was a democracy.

Wrong, Hitler abolished elections and representative parliament in the Reichstag, he was elected cdemocratically, but the 3rd Reich itself was a police state.
    Who's unacceptable, Iran or Israel?

Iran, Muslim theocracies are much less preferable to Western Democracies. Sad, but True.
  • Options

do you really think the United States would use WMD against the world?

The USA is the only country in the world to ever use a nuclear strike. The only country in the world to use a WMD against a foreign target. Yes it would use WMDs, it has used WMDs.
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore

Wrong, Hitler abolished elections and representative parliament in the Reichstag, he was elected cdemocratically, but the 3rd Reich itself was a police state.

I should have said started as a democracy, the elections were controlled by the presence of SS and SA troops. Including the ones in which Austria voted for anschluss.
  • Options
    The USA is the only country in the world to ever use a nuclear strike.

Yes, but for very good reason. Just becuase they used it 60 years ago to save millions of lives doesnt equate to them using it now on say, Iraq or Iran.
    Yes it would use WMDs, it has used WMDs.

The USSR had thousands of Nukes, and it was more unstable than the US, ditto China.
  • Options
    It was Korea where nukes were the closest to being deployed. And with good reason. The Chinese invaded the Korean peninsula.
    Good reason?

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    we all shouldn't have the but the world is far too dangerous not to have them right now. One day before i pop off I hope the world is nuke free.

The world is more dangerous that it ever could be because we have nuclear weapons. It's not too dangerous to get rid of them, it's dangerous because they exist.
  • Options
    Good reason?

Yup, it was war, and the most populous country had just invaded. Therefore, you make plans for the deployment of your main advantage : nuclear weapons.
  • Options
    Yes, but for very good reason. Just becuase they used it 60 years ago to save millions of lives doesnt equate to them using it now on say, Iraq or Iran.

The USSR had thousands of Nukes, and it was more unstable than the US, ditto China.

Having studied it, I don't think it was a good reason. I don't ever think there has been a good reason. Not to say it didn't work, but it's not a good reason.

What has the USSR or China got do do with anything? It had and has got Nukes, what is your point?
  • Options
    Not a lot Luke. You are about the only person in the world who thinks the US wouldn't use nukes as a first strike.

But naturally you must be right and 6 billion people must be wrong.
  • Options
    the countries such as China you should be concerned about than the United States of the Uk!
    You never seem to look at China though, always the United States, easy target!
    Would that be because the US has bombed 21 countries in the last 5 decades?
  • Options
    I don't think it was a good reason. I don't ever think there has been a good reason

Think about it. Japan had a population of about 100 million, all dedicated to their God-Emperor.

They would have fought to the death, it was a martial culture.

Plus, the US would have lost upward of a million men pacifying Japan.

200,000 lives, while a terrible price, was the lesser of 2 evils.
    What has the USSR or China got do do with anything? It had and has got Nukes, what is your point?

Just because a country has WMD, doesnt mean they will use them. YOu have tolook to the country in question, its stability and the sanity of its leaders as well as other things to decide if they will use them.
  • Options
    LOL!!! Just what I thought! What more can I say?

What is just what you thought Luke? That the USA is the most dangerous nuclear power on earth by virtue of it's record?
  • Options
    "All with a valid reason"

Rubbish. Two or three with a valid or semi-valid reason. As you know it.
  • Options
    all with a valid reason. What is Chinas excuse to killing Students?

At least china was killing it's own people Lukesh. It wasn't involving itself in another country's internal affairs. I don't know the exact war record for China, but as far as I know the last foreign incursion was in the Korean war.
  • Options
    It all comes down to opinion, you dispise the US obviously your going to come out with this. I don't and think there are many other worries in the world than the United States's WMD. (That they would never use first!)

Don't put words in my mouth.

You clearly aren't paying attention Lukesh, it's not a question of the USA never using them first, it's already happened, without any fear of being nuked back, they were the only nation on Earth to have them.

It's now a question of when they'll use them again.
  • Options
    At least china was killing it's own people Lukesh. It wasn't involving itself in another country's internal affairs

'At Least' you heard it here first. In NO WAY does it excuse a country when it kills 'its own' people. Remember the Great Leap Forward? Caused a famine in which over 30 million Chinese peasents perished. Cultural Revolution? Red uards killing anyone they thought was a 'class enemy'.
    as far as I know the last foreign incursion was in the Korean war.

Chinese troops were involved in the Vietnam war, they later fought a war with North Vietnam and invaded Tibet.
  • Options
    own or not, NO justifcation!

You wouldn;t know anything about China, your too focused on critising the US!

I'm not justifying china, I've studied it in detail. It's not a nice place. But the US are imposing their perspective on the entire planet. By force.
  • Options
    It's now a question of when they'll use them again.

No it isnt, you have no way of knowing this, do not make assumptions. That goes for Lukesh as well.
  • Options
    if they use them again it will be justified.
    LOL x 1,000,000.

And how on earth do you know that???
  • Options
    Chinese troops were involved in the Vietnam war, they later fought a war with North Vietnam and invaded Tibet.

Thanks for in info.
  • Options
    You had the attempt by the Chinese to invade India in 1962 and the Vietnamese border war in 1979
  • Options
    No it isnt, you have no way of knowing this, do not make assumptions. That goes for Lukesh as well.

Mate, it's a question of 'when' until every nuke has been dismantled.