Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Is Israel about to attack Iran?

As you might have heard, the Pentagon believes an official was passing classified information to Israel. Full story

The information relates to US policy on Iran, and many observers believe the Israelis are quite interested in knowing what the US position on an Israeli attack on Iran would be. The Israeli government has recently said that it reserves the right to attack any Iranian installations it might consider a threat (i.e. nuclear reactors that might be used to make N-bombs).

Iran has said that it will retaliate in the strongest possible terms to any aggression.

So is Israel planning to repeat its 1981 escapade to Iraq and launch bombing raids against Iranian nuclear facilities? I do pray to the heavens that isn't the case. Apart from the supreme hypocrisy of having amassed your own illegal arsenal of nuclear, biological and chemical weapons and yet believing it is your right to use force to stop others from getting their own bombs, such move would make the region infinitely more volatile.

It will be very interesting to see how the spy allegations develop... Not very nice to spy on your closest ally is it?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    hmm shows how trustworthy this almost facist israeli government is
    yes.
    america can't be seen to do it ...america can't send ground troops into a third theatre of illegal war ...they are bogged down in iraq and afghanistan is a joke ...but they do have the biggest opium crop in history to help them out financialy.
    i believe israel will blow the fuck out of irans nuclear programme.
    but ...iran knows this ...they must have something up their sleeves ...
    I say we switch sides. I mean, we go on about preserving freedom and the best things about humanity, yet we stand shoulder to shoulder with America and Israel. Iran may be no angel either actually, I say we ally with Norway and Belgium. Mmmm, neutrals :yum:
    noone in history has ever had respect for the neutrals.
    Being neutral means you will be invaded last once everyone else has finished fighting!

I do think we need to distance ourselves from the USA and Israel though, they keep dragging us into their mess.
    Israel will only end up invading Iran if the UN and international community turn a blind eye to Iran’s nuclear programme.

Whatever you think about Israel we can trust Israel more than Iran. Remember the fiasco earlier this year with Iran regarding British sailors supposedly being in Iranian waters? Although it later turned out that was not the case and the Iranians forced the British sailors into Iranian territory.

I think it’s very unlikely that Britain, or even America would join Israel in going to war with Iran unless Iran attacked Israel first. Personally, I would oppose Britain going to war with Iran unless Iran initially attacked Israel.

Saying that hopefully both Israel and Iran can sort this out peacefully.
    Good post, well done mate.
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Good post, well done mate.

Cheers.
    Originally posted by lukesh
    no, we either involve our selelves or we don't.

i hope we don't
    if Iran launches an attack on israel for nothing then we should!
    How about if Israel launches an attack on Iran for nothing?

As it is about 100 trillion times more likely to be the case?

Disillusioned, I don't Iran to arm itself with nuclear weapons. Just as I don't want anyone else to do so. But ultimately if anything is to be done about it (and anything more serious than a trade embargo would be a great injustice) it's up to the UN, not Israel to take action.

Israel has but very little ground indeed for protesting or even thinking of taking unilateral action, considering it itself has many UN resolutions outstanding concerning its own illegal arsenal of WMDs. Some of these resolutions are probably older than you and me, and other countries have been bombed to pieces for less while Israel continues to be allowed to ignore UN resolutions and worldwide demands to at the very least open up its installations to inspections.
    Israel won't launch an attack for nothing, they will for a reason.
    They already did: Iraq 1981. They illegally violated Iraq's airspace and perpetrated an act of war by bombing nuclear installations. Just because.

And before you said anything, this was when Saddam was a very good friend of the West and not the "threat to world peace we kept being told about.

Apparently the Israeli government, proud owner of 200 thermonuclear warheads and unspecified amount of chemical and biological weapons, believes it has the right to illegally bomb other nations if they try to make their own nukes.
    There is no inherent goodness to what Israel would or would not do than there is for Iran, Luke. You seem too ready to buy into the "good guy" PR for one whilst presuming any act by Iran against Iarael would be "for no reaon".

At the level of power politics, all hands are as dirty as the next.
    lets wait and see

You don't quite grasp the nature of International Relations do you?

One country's actions are governed by no other consideration that that of realpolitik, the consideration of power. Israel will act on what is best for Israel in terms of control and power, and this may well involve preventing Iran from gaining WMD in order for Israel to maintain it's own hegemonic supremacy in the Middle East. There are no considerations of morals or reason, the only reason any country has in International Relations is increasing it's own power at the expense of its neighbours.

In the anarchic arena of International politics, all countries are as "good" or as "bad" as each other. You want to read Carl Schmitt.
    Originally posted by Disillusioned
    Israel will only end up invading Iran
    they wouldn't dream of invading iran!!!!!!!!!!
    but they would send a few missiles into irans nuclear facilities just like they did with iraq mentioned earlier.
    ...and they will ...anytime soon.
    good for them, one less job for us.
    when people are fighting and or struggling for their very identity ...your against it if it isn't the Mcdonalds identity. the consume the planet identity. the anything goes identity.
    are you that convinced ...realy ...that consumerism is the ultimate path for mankind?

Iran is not a threat to the security of either Great Britain or the United States. The Irani regime is highly distasteful, but the Irani people chose that regime ahead of a more liberal Western regime.

It's horses for courses. We have no right to dictate to another country how it should be run, not given our long and illustrious history of overthrowing democratic governments that were not amenable to our financial interests.
    Ther is your double standard in operation Luke. You give the thumbs up to Israel attacking Iran with a mere "one less job for us" remark, yet the on the issue of the potential for Iran to hit Israel (which has shown itself to be a far greater and longer running violater of UN resolutions than Saddam and Iraq ever were) you voice only condemnation.

Since when should any country or government allow itself to be defenseless against possible attack from its neighbours simply because YOU don't like its governing ideology?

Are you on another planet today luke? What has it got to do with us? Not even the most rabid US president or insane UK PM could try to claim that Iran provides even the slightest threat to either country. It's a thoroughly unpleasant regime, but where is it written that we have the right to dictate to them what they should think about the way they live.

It's double standards mate, Israel has no right to invade, but we do? Rubbish.
    Pre-emptive strikes are totally ridiculous, especially when their pre-emptive to the point that the other nation basically has no army.

Pre-emptive is a poor excuse used by the greedy and stupid.

And hopefully this will teach you luke, not to use such short answers in such a big problem.
    I am not at all giving Israel the thumbs up to illegally attack Iran for no reason. If there is a reason, a justification, yes then why not.
    But there isn't one.
    If Iran imposes a threat to Israel, she has the right to protect her self. Why is it everytime Israel protects her self there is an outrage?
    Answer this honestly: If Iran attacked Israel tomorrow and attempted to destroy the nuclear capability Israel already has in order to protect yourself, would you acknowledge this? Or would you be crying out about another Muslim nation attacking Israel for no reason?

Try to be a little less unbiased, and try to recognise bullshit when you hear it. Iran doesn't pose any more of a threat to Israel than Israel does to Iran (as a matter of fact there is only one nation with a full arsenal of WMDs at its disposal, and it ain't the Iranians). Israel would NOT be defending itself by illegally bombing Iran.

Unless you're now prepared to say that every single war that the Arab nations have started in the last 5 decades were legitimate actions to defend themselves against the Israeli threat.
    Israel has nuclear weapns (WMD). Also iran does.
    Iran hasn't yet.

Who you trust not to use them? I put my money on Israel, of course, you put your money on Iran. I agree that both should not have them but Israel needs them in order to scare off potential threats.
    And so does Iran. Considering that Israel is always rumbling about attacking, and the extremely dangeous evil US government has already said Iran "is next", can you really blame them for trying to acquire weapons that will protect them from aggression?

If Iran attacked Israel, she needs to protect her self. Visa Veras.
    No one needs to attack anyone else. Certainly not in this case anyway. Lies, manipulation and quests for total control and power masquerading as "protecting oneself".
    Israel has nuclear weapns (WMD). Also iran does. Who you trust not to use them? I put my money on Israel, of course, you put your money on Iran. I agree that both should not have them but Israel needs them in order to scare off potential threats.

If Iran attacked Israel, she needs to protect her self. Visa Veras.

Here are some Q&A on Iran's nuclear capability. You will note that Iran does not yet have nuclear capability, and is claiming that the fuel is for Civil Nuclear Projects (Read nuclear power plants). Iran has no WMDs.
    Iran has agreed under pressure to open up its nuclear facilities to inspection.

Libya recently decided to get rid of its weapons of mass destruction. The situation in Iraq has also clearly changed.

But then there is Israel.
    Israel says it would like to see a Middle East free of nuclear weapons.

But as to whether or not it has a nuclear capability, Israel prefers to adopt a policy of what is calls "nuclear ambiguity".

It neither confirms nor denies whether it possesses nuclear weapons.

While Israel has never admitted to having nuclear weapons, few international experts question the Jewish state's presence on the world's list of nuclear powers.
    Its nuclear capability is arguably the most secretive weapons of mass destruction programme in the world.
    Unlike Iran and North Korea - two countries whose alleged nuclear ambitions have recently come to the fore - Israel has never signed the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, designed to prevent the global spread of nuclear weapons.

Israel is the most obstructive state in the Middle East. I do not trust any country with Nuclear weapons, they are there to be used.
    Yet... excatly!

Please be truthful, honest and not biased. What is Irans resgime like?

Luke, there are countries all over the world who don't yet have nuclear capability, that doesn't mean they're going to get it.

Here is a country profile of iran provided by the BBC.
    Yet... excatly!

Please be truthful, honest and not biased. What is Irans resgime like?
    What has that to do with anything??? :confused:

What's the Israeli regime like?
    Fiend the UK has nuclear weapans don't you trust your own country?

So, OK, Iran doesn't have Nuclear Weapsn as yet, Israel clearly does.
    Also, you have highlighted a achievement from the Iraq War, Lybia.

If countries can cooperate just like Lybia are just now then we would have a much safer world. Israel will rid of her WMD in time, I don't blame them right now for not destroying them.

No I don't trust my country not to use them should the 'need' arise. I'm not ignorant of my own countries nuclear capability, I may be more inclined to say my own country is less likely to use them than the USA, but that doesn't mean we'll never unleash a nuclear strike at another country.

Now do you have anything sensible to say about the sources and quotes I've brought forward?
    If countries can cooperate just like Lybia are just now then we would have a much safer world. Israel will rid of her WMD in time, I don't blame them right now for not destroying them.
    And I don't blame the Iranians for trying to get their own.

Stop circumnavigating please. Do you agree that it would be totally unacceptable for Israel to attack Iran and destroy its nuclear facilities or not?
    freedom, rights for everyhuman being... just like the UK.

Do the people of Iran not have the right to live the way they want without foreign incursions into their country?
    Thanks Fiend.

But it doesn't really describe the governmet, it doesn't sound like a depressing resgime from what the website said.

50% are under 25, ouch!

I have to say I'm bored of doing your research for you Luke. It's not hard to do a quick search on the BBC News page it's a very useful tool.
    freedom, rights for everyhuman being... just like the UK.
    Er... no. There aren't rights for every human being. Not the same rights anyway. As for freedom, go and click on the bottom link of my signature.

But let me ask you again: what does this has to do with anything regarding WMDs?

Funny how we don't hear you demanding that Pakistan is invaded and bombed and their nuclear facilities destroyed. As ever, for as long as the dictator in question is a puppet of the US, all is forgotten eh?
    I think I can put my hand on my heart and say I trust the Uk and the United States to never use thier WMD unless someone else uses thier on the countries. We would never stroke first.

Sorry? Arn't we debating already? If you find it boring, go to another thread. Stop the back chat at the bottom of your posts please.

Perhaps not first, I'm not totally convinced, because the US already has a record for first-strike potential.

As to the other, I apologise.
    Obviously you never did really sit down and read the list of links i provided you on the Zionists, their historic militancy, elitest and exclusivistic two tiered doctrine for Israeli society (where Arab Jews and Muslims alike are 2nd class citizens with less rights than Ashkenazi Jews who form the bulk of the right wing Likhud) and history of human rights abuses.

Until you truly bother educating yourself about the true nature of Zionists and their political ideology, you will continue to show yourself to merely be regurgitating longrunning Zionist propaganda and spin.

You talk of other people being biased and go on to demonstrate your own transparent biases with every post you make.

As for the US and first strike potential, you should learn further about the PNAC agenda which now controls US foreign policy lock stock and barrel. "Pre-emptive" means exactly that, striking first without a valid prior threat.

The UK government will follow what Washington dictates in that regard as has already been clearly demonstrated repeatedly.