Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

UK police can use information gained by torture.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Also, say you can torture someone and get exactly the right level of information thats always right. (which is not possible)

The question arrises as to what to do with them afterwards, you cant really release them otherwise they will tell all their friends what you've done. But you cant keep them forever, their family would know.
  • Options
    To be fair on "ourselves" Teagan, its more appropriate to note that "this mess" was brought about by our leaders and the refusal of the international community to stand up to the Project for the New American Century from the start.

The entire agenda in which we now find our nations woefully entrenched was spelled out clearly by the PNAC more than a decade ago and yet Blair happily went along with the charade and mockery of international law regardless.
  • Options
    I know what you mean, whats so depressing about it is the PNAC are SO blatent!

Their website has to be one of the most depressing set of documents ever set out in print.
  • Options
    Indeed, it is the "you're either with us or against us" mentality that rules the day and which i chide all European leaders for not having stood up to as a unified bloc.

Having ceded the right of way to the PNAC, however, it has become a matter of political expedience to avoid embarrassment or electoral isolation by just going along with the new status quo (regrdless of how prevalently the new US sanctioned moniker of "terrorist" is being used to assail, torture, or even kill off the legitimate political opponents of our numerous dictatorial "allies").

The whole WoT is merely the institutionalisation of practices we have long deemed reprehensible. In short, its a fraud.
  • Options
    It just seems to me that we are going out of our way not to actually reduce terrorism but to insult, spit in the face of and generally stir up trouble.
  • Options
    And?
    If a captured terrorist in say, Pakistan was tortured into releasing the names and addresses of sleeper cells in this country, are you saying we shouldn't be allowed to act upon it?
    Bollocks.
    You'd be the first ones screaming for the Chief Constable's blood if we didn't act on it and the information turned out to be true.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Teagan
    For instance, if one was aware that a dirty bomb was due to be detonated in central London but that this information had been extracted from an individual in some hellpit in darkest Pakistan, would one choose to ignore it based on how the information was gleaned - and obviously see and live with the result of many thousands of Londoners dead or seriously wounded that one may have saved - or would one have to say "I detest the manner in which this information was acheived BUT the information is out there now anyhow - and I must use it to save many more lives"?

I think that using information however it was gleaned is not necessarily in question. The authorities would check the hypothetical location regardless of where it came from and how.

I think what the question is more towards is where we go in the sense of torture as an interogation method, as I've said before most people will admit to anything given sufficient inducement. Where is the line drawn on where the information is ok and where it is not?
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I am far more critical of UK government policy because, well I have a vested interest in it being fair.

Yes its nasty if the DRC mistreats its people, but I am not personally effected.

Ah yeah, good point...

But the U.K.s citizens and inhabitants enjoy a great deal of freedom, equal to or more than anywhere else in the world I'd go so far to say.

Having lived in various European countries I'd also say that we have the best and fairest police force, apart from Scandinavian countries which also have really good efficient and fair police.
  • Options
    Originally posted by groovechampion
    Scandinavian countries which also have really good efficient and fair police.

From what I've heard, any country would be hard put to compete with scandinavian countries for anything. They've got great social policy.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Also, say you can torture someone and get exactly the right level of information thats always right. (which is not possible)

The question arrises as to what to do with them afterwards, you cant really release them otherwise they will tell all their friends what you've done. But you cant keep them forever, their family would know.

people can be made to dissappear
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    From what I've heard, any country would be hard put to compete with scandinavian countries for anything. They've got great social policy.

Yeah they have high taxes and good social services. I went to Finland and the cops were brilliant, spoke English and Swedish as well as Finnish obviously and were just as friendly and helpful as British coppers.

On a slightly related note:
    Can't say the same for Belgian or French police however. Was once in a Belgian Police station after my friend got mugged by a rather nasty Arab youth. The police caught him in the act, we all went to the police station, the policeman asks the youth his name to which he replies; "Mohammed", the copper laughs in face, slaps him and tells him he has a stupid name. Lovely.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG
    people can be made to dissappear

So are you saying we should torture and then kill all terrorist suspects?
  • Options
    As for Sweden, it cant continue, they are borrowing too much, their economy hasnt grown for god knows how long. Social reform will come in time, like it is in Germany.
  • Options
    Originally posted by groovechampion
    The police caught him in the act, we all went to the police station, the policeman asks the youth his name to which he replies; "Mohammed", the copper laughs in face, slaps him and tells him he has a stupid name. Lovely.

lol, classic. I'd have loved to see that acted out by someone with a dodgy french accent.

You ave a ztupeed name.

Sorry, inappropriate.:lol: