Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

what do u call a paki in a rubish bin?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    racist joke

I understand that the person who posted this thread probably did not mean to be racist, however, I am going to remove it as it has clearly caused offence to some of the site users. I want to make it perfectly clear that thesite will not accept racism, however, I agree that jokes discussing race are in some situations are not deemed as racist, for example when the Kumars poke fun at asian people. The context of a joke is very important, if an asian person is making a joke about asian culture it is usually not seen as threatening or a way to further discrimination towards other asian people. In the context of this site, using words such as 'paki' will be seen, much like the word '******', as an offensive term that is unacceptable to use. (The word that has been hidden/blocked is the word that was used offensively to refer to black people that begins with n - I've put this as I feel it is important that you understand the comparrison)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    Look at the first two posts posted 2 females. :)

Since when has rolly been female?!:crazyeyes
  • Options
    I don't mean to be rude, Luci, but isn't deleting the pun a bit silly? People could think it's a lot worse than it actually was.
  • Options
    I don't want to cause any trouble here, but I can never see why "Paki" is seen as offensive... its just a shortened word, after all. I know its used a lot by racists as a term, but its the same with any group of people... 'Scouser' is a common derogetory term, or 'Jocks' from Scotland, yet they all see it in jest. When 'paki' is used that group are highly offended.

I'm not criticising it, but I'm just interested as to why...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rocks

To be honest, I think different terms have different connotations and stuff.

Paki is still used a hell of a lot as a derogatory and racist term by mindless racists, and it's always going to be an issue because race relations haven't neccesarily come that far that we should assume people should laugh it off.

Also, it could be seen as offensive as a lot of Asians aren't from Pakistan at all, just because they happen to have a certain skin tone and have a certain accent they're automatically Pakis?

A bit like calling Rangers or Celtic fans dirty Orange/Fenian, theiving Weegie scum, because a lot of them have fuck all to do with the religion, and a lot of them aren't theiving Weegies.

There's probably a load of other cultural stuff that I don't understand.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    To be honest, I think different terms have different connotations and stuff.

race relations haven't neccesarily come that far
    in the fifties there was an influx of west indian families ...into a still ravaged from war uk. and a further influx of irish.
    we rebuilt the cities and by the 60's we were ready to welcome indian and pakistani people to fill the many vacancies left by the dead ...
    the asian comunity literaly saved the british corner shop from extinction ...from which was born the late shop ...cos these people grafted from morning till night.
    i know cos i was there and what i saw was ...racism was a middle class thing on the whole. it was institutionilsed into the fabric of british establishment ...but not down at the bus depot ...the steel mill ...the cotton mill.
    everyone was getting high and working hard toghether.
    the need for a race relations board missed the fucking point entirely!
    it should have been dealing with the institutes ...not spending years and money on daft fucking slogans and scattering broken glass on the floor between ...me and you.
  • Options
    "Disgusted", "horrified", "offended".

It's easier than being mature and just ignoring it, isn't it?

Can't say anything about anything these days, in case some poor dear gets offended. I get jokes about "convicts" all the damn time, you just laugh and move on- whinge and they've won. Or they used to, now you get half a million squids for hurt feelings.

Poor diddumses.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    i'm all for paddy jock paki queer... women ...men ...disabled etc jokes ...within reason of course.

I didn't hear it, but knowing me I'd have laughed. :p

I can't stand political correctness.
  • Options
    Sorry to bump n stuff.....
    That, yes. Actually, I find that more offensive than calling someone Paki. But that's 'cause of my stepmum.

I hope I have got the wrong end of the stick but when you say baa baa black sheep is racist are you refering to the childs nursery rhyme, because if you are then you are one very silly little girl for saying it's racist..
  • Options
    Originally posted by daz jones
    edited due to content

you didn't even have to put in any content for this thread to hit 4 pages of controversy

drama-free.gifmadnono.gif
  • Options
    I hope I have got the wrong end of the stick but when you say baa baa black sheep is racist are you refering to the childs nursery rhyme, because if you are then you are one very silly little girl for saying it's racist..

No, I'm not that stupid.

Although people like to think I am sometimes.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rocks
    I don't want to cause any trouble here, but I can never see why "Paki" is seen as offensive... its just a shortened word, after all. I know its used a lot by racists as a term, but its the same with any group of people... 'Scouser' is a common derogetory term, or 'Jocks' from Scotland, yet they all see it in jest. When 'paki' is used that group are highly offended.

Probably cos when you use the term Jock or Scouser you've taken the time and trouble to Identify the person as Scottish or from Liverpool.

When Paki is used how many people actually bother to make sure the person they are referring to is from Pakistan?

There are over 1,000,000,000 people in India - would you decribe a Billion people in India as French, or Americans, .. so Why do people use the word Paki, i.e. short for Pakistani.

I assume the original Joke was something to do with Osama Bin Laden who is Arabian

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/binladen/who/bio.html
  • Options
    Originally posted by *x*l'il miss socks*x*
    That, yes. Actually, I find that more offensive than calling someone Paki. But that's 'cause of my stepmum.

You find that offensive? Then you're a fucking MORON.
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Probably cos when you use the term Jock or Scouser you've taken the time and trouble to Identify the person as Scottish or from Liverpool.

When Paki is used how many people actually bother to make sure the person they are referring to is from Pakistan?

It was a joke though. For all intents and puproses, the person in the joke was Pakistani.

Ever notice jokes like these are only an issue if the person isn't white? White people can tell jokes about each other without getting offended, so why can't coloured people? And no, don't make up some bullshit reason about black's being treated as second class citizens, 'cause up to 60 or 70 odd years ago it was happening to the Irish, Catholics etc. over here as well.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    You find that offensive? Then you're a fucking MORON.

Thanks. I think so too.
  • Options
    Thanks. I think so too.

It's a kids nursery rhyme. It has fuck all to do with race, religion, gender or whatever else. How in the name of fuck can you be offended by this?
  • Options
    It's a kids nursery rhyme. It has fuck all to do with race, religion, gender or whatever else. How in the name of fuck can you be offended by this?

Like I said earlier, it's the context it's being used in. If some fucker decided to go and shout 'baa baa black sheep' at my stepmum, I would be offended. Surely you can get that into your head?
  • Options
    Like I said earlier, it's the context it's being used in. If some fucker decided to go and shout 'baa baa black sheep' at my stepmum, I would be offended. Surely you can get that into your head?

WTF? Where the hell did you get shouting it at your mum from? The guy was talking about a kids nursery rhyme for fuck sake!
  • Options
    You'd be insulted.

That isn't the same thing. IF I shouted "Big Mac!" at your mum you'd be insulted, it doesn't mean Big Macs are offensive.

Peopl;e are "offended" and "distraught" at the drop of a fucking hat these days, they need to learn how to be adult and just deal with it.

Oh, and Kiezo, blacks can insult blacks, and blacks can insult Arabs and Asians, and they can insult whites. Only white people can be racist.
  • Options
    WTF? Where the hell did you get shouting it at your mum from? The guy was talking about a kids nursery rhyme for fuck sake!

How do you know? Are you him? I think not.

The way I saw it was, if that was shouted at someone in the street, would it be offensive? I thought, fuck yes.

And one thing, try reading. I said STEPmum. And actually, I dare someone to shout that at her...I would love to see the look on their face when she has her say :p
  • Options
    Ever notice jokes like these are only an issue if the person isn't white? White people can tell jokes about each other without getting offended, so why can't coloured people?

I'm white.
  • Options
    This thread is conclusive proof that the masses are asses.

It's amazing you can all figure out how to breathe in and out.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    This thread is conclusive proof that the masses are asses.

It's amazing you can all figure out how to breathe in and out.
    Either that or people are in an anooying mood ;).
  • Options
    IF I shouted "Big Mac!" at your mum you'd be insulted, it doesn't mean Big Macs are offensive.

I think I'd laugh.

Anyway, I think people are being too sensitive and/or trying to stick too rigidly to the insane political correctness that passes for being a decent, moral human being these days.

End of the day, the joke wasn't funny anyway.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    Either that or people are in an anooying mood ;).

But getting insulted by an nursery rhyme?

Gawd, remove head from anus.
  • Options
    But getting insulted by an nursery rhyme?

Gawd, remove head from anus.

No not insulted, i don't really like it when people take the piss out of anyone. Yes i am over sensitive but there you go.
  • Options
    And one thing, try reading. I said STEPmum. And actually, I dare someone to shout that at her...I would love to see the look on their face when she has her say

Why would anyone in their right mind call someone baa baa black sheep? At least insult them properly, like your ma is well fat and smelly.
  • Options
    No not insulted, i don't really like it when people take the piss out of anyone. Yes i am over sensitive but there you go.

I wasn't talking about you, I was commenting that people aaren't being annoying, they're being spoons.
  • Options
    Why would anyone in their right mind call someone baa baa black sheep? At least insult them properly, like your ma is well fat and smelly.

People who are like that generally don't have right minds....
  • Options
    How do you know? Are you him? I think not.

It was kinda obvious to anyone with the slightest bit of common sense. Do you usually see people running around shouting "Ba ba black sheep!" at black people? No?

Use the 'ead, love.
    And one thing, try reading. I said STEPmum.

And that alters anything, how?
    I'm white.

Let me get this straight, you're 22, have a baby, and get offended by stuff like that? Have you been living with your head up your ass all your life or what?
  • Options
    It was kinda obvious to anyone with the slightest bit of common sense. Do you usually see people running around shouting "Ba ba black sheep!" at black people? No?

Use the 'ead, love.

I don't, but even if he did mean it in the sense of the nursery rhyme (which, seriously, totally unrelated) , the way I see it is if someone was shouting it at someone, it would be offensive. To be quite honest, I couldn't give two shits how he meant it.
    And that alters anything, how?

It means you clearly can't read, especially since I said stepmum several times throughout my argument.
    Let me get this straight, you're 22, have a baby, and get offended by stuff like that? Have you been living with your head up your ass all your life or what?

How does being 22 and having a baby make any difference to her being offended by something? My dad's 56 and has 5 kids, and I'm sure he'd get offended by it. And seriously, my dad has not lived with his head up his ass.