Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

suicides rates amongst young men

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: suicides rates amongst young men
    Originally posted by lukesh
    what/ no one reads the bible? yeha in your world! The bible helps with with their lives, it's quite releavnt to todays world I think. it teachers right from wrong.

Well then if the bible is relevent in the modern world and teaches us right from wrong then apparantly slavery is ok then:thumb: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: suicides rates amongst young men
    what/ no one reads the bible? yeha in your world! The bible helps with with their lives, it's quite releavnt to todays world I think. it teachers right from wrong.

What the fuck? I did not, once in my post say that no one reads the Bible, did I? No. :rolleyes:

I have no problem with the Bible helping people with their lives, that, is a benefit of religion, it gives people something to live by. However did you ever take into account that wars are caused more often by religion than anything else?
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: suicides rates amongst young men
    quote, explain, futher more yeah?

Im not exactly a fan of the bible so Im not going to go through the bible quoting things. :rolleyes: There are a lot of things 'forbidden' in the bible that are now common practice. I dont see how a story written 2000 years ago has any relevence.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: suicides rates amongst young men
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    Im not exactly a fan of the bible so Im not going to go through the bible quoting things. :rolleyes: There are a lot of things 'forbidden' in the bible that are now common practice. I dont see how a story written 2000 years ago has any relevence.

Luckily I have a lot of time on my hands. Taaa daaa:

Ephesians 5:22-24 Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

Exodus 21:20-21 If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property.

Peter 2:13 Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every authority instituted among men.

2:18 Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh.

Leviticus 25:44-45
    Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: suicides rates amongst young
    the new testament certainly does.

An example please.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: suicides rates amongst young men
    so.
    Yep I know it does. Don't see the point though.

"So?"?? You said that I had said no one reads the bible. Then you said "Yeha right in your world!" I did not say in my post that no one reads the bible. I was simply proving you wrong.

My point is that you said religion helps people with their lives, whereas it actually actually causes people to make a lot of effort, constantly changing things they do for their religion, this causes a lot of stress and I don't see how it helps peoples lives, I'm sure they'd be a lot happier if they could do what they wanted, rather than worrying if something they were thinking of doing would make them go to hell. :rolleyes:

Some religions, more laid back religions like Paganism hold morals but let you get on with parts of your life other religions don't. Sexuality is a large part of peoples lives, and many religions only allow heterosexual relationships. Therefore Christianity never helped me. Not once.

Also if it helps people with their lives, then how come they end up doing what their religion tells them not to, killing another human is a huge sin, yet people do it because others have different religions???
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: suicides rates among
    what search for the new testament? to show you? and critise more? get lost

go look your self. if you aint got one, i am sure there are plent of online versions.

This yet another argument you can not back up then?
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: suicides rates among
    what search for the new testament? to show you? and critise more? get lost

go look your self. if you aint got one, i am sure there are plent of online versions.

Give me an example of it being relevant to your life. That's all I asked for. Jeez.

ETA: And I'm still waiting for dinosaurs to be explained.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: suicides rates amongst young men
    There are a lot of things 'forbidden' in the bible that are now common practice. I dont see how a story written 2000 years ago has any relevence.

Then more fool you, really. Anyone can take a random example which made sense 3000 years ago (such as not eating pork) and "prove" that the Bible has no relevance.

It's a moronic thing to do, as the book needs to be used as a guide and not a literal example.

Take evolution, for example. Think of each "day" as a developmental stage and suddenly it all makes sense. The Big Bang theory explains how things came into being, but it doesn't explain how the Big Bang happened. If there was nothing it couldn't have happened, so does that mean a "God" created it?

But if you think that the BIble is "not relevant" does that mean that "thou shalt not murder" is no longer relevant?
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: suicides rates amongst young
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Then more fool you, really. Anyone can take a random example which made sense 3000 years ago (such as not eating pork) and "prove" that the Bible has no relevance.

It's a moronic thing to do, as the book needs to be used as a guide and not a literal example.

Take evolution, for example. Think of each "day" as a developmental stage and suddenly it all makes sense. The Big Bang theory explains how things came into being, but it doesn't explain how the Big Bang happened. If there was nothing it couldn't have happened, so does that mean a "God" created it?

But if you think that the BIble is "not relevant" does that mean that "thou shalt not murder" is no longer relevant?

You have a good point....

fine there are *some* things that no longer seem relevent to me at least. Then again it is likely my views will be somewhat skewed anyway. As previously stated I am not a fan of religion. I fail too see how a 'God' can exist.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: suicides rates a
    Originally posted by Infinite
    Give me an example of it being relevant to your life. That's all I asked for. Jeez.

Turn the other cheek? Treat your neighbour as you would treat yourself?

Pretty damn relevant I'd say. And don't say it is "common sense"- if it was common sense people would actually do it.

ETA: And I'm still waiting for dinosaurs to be explained.

Each "day" as a stage spanning millions of years?

Don't forget that the Bible was written for primitive people to udnerstand it- treat it as a metaphor and it makes a lot more sense. Like the parting of the Red Sea- there is evidence to suggest that it was a tidal mudflat, so the tide will have been out and then coming rushing back in to swallow the Egyptians. A bit like what happens on Morecambe Bay.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: suicides rates amongst y
    Yfine there are *some* things that no longer seem relevent to me at least.

That is because we don;t need to be as careful now.

Before refrigeration pork was dangerous to eat, as it rotted quickly, was difficult to cook, and it HAD to be cooked properly or else serious poisoning could occur. Circumcision was a good way to protect against disease it hot climates where washing often was difficult.

As previously stated I am not a fan of religion.

fair enough, I aren't. Organised religion is what happens when faith meets politics- religious leaders will act in their own self interest in order to maintain power, it is just human nature. Or, more accurately, some will. "Priest teaches children, doesn't rape altar boy" isn't a very good news headline, is it?

I fail too see how a 'God' can exist.

I fail to see how there cannot be one. The Big Bang theory explains how the Universe was crated, but it doesn't explain what caused the Big Bang.

I happen to believe that science shows what God did, rather that proves that God does not exist.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: suicides rat
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Turn the other cheek? Treat your neighbour as you would treat yourself?

Pretty damn relevant I'd say. And don't say it is "common sense"- if it was common sense people would actually do it.

Each "day" as a stage spanning millions of years?

Don't forget that the Bible was written for primitive people to udnerstand it- treat it as a metaphor and it makes a lot more sense. Like the parting of the Red Sea- there is evidence to suggest that it was a tidal mudflat, so the tide will have been out and then coming rushing back in to swallow the Egyptians. A bit like what happens on Morecambe Bay.

That's very true. I hadn't considered that. I stand corrected.

Edited to add: However, one contributer to this thread is taking the bible as fact.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: suicides rates a
    well done. spot on there mate!

Thank you.

Shame you couldn't do it yourself mind :yeees:
  • Options
    Maybe someone should make a GOD/Atheist/Evolution Topic.

Then i would glad to answer some of the questions that i am reading. Im done with the suicide issue, i mean everybody got problems, but suicide is still for the weak. People have time to change , and people have time to know GOD, but they "choose" not to know GOD. :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mystery Ridah
    Y
    Or for that matter, what aint nothing changing into something else :lol::lol: ?
    (flowers, cats, dogs, the sun(which btw happens to be in the right place), the moon, the heavens, etc)

The sun doesn't just happen to be in the right place, neither does the Earth. Life has just evolved to survive in its environment. We have evolved to this environment. I doubt that microbes on Mars or Titan, and possible sealife under the thick ice layers of Europa are thinking that they just happen to be in the right place. It would have just evolved to suit it's own particular environment, which happens to be completely differnt from our own.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mystery Ridah
    Yea 22, going 23. Evolution is suppose to be a process, that continues over a period of generations(thats what i been told by people on a very active evolution message board). So if we are suppose be getting faster and stronger, more questons has risen up:

Evolution takes thousands of years :eek:
    HOw come people are dying at a younger age ?

Well we ain't... we're living longer, but if you're speaking of a rise in suicide rates I can see one of either two immediate explainations. One that people are more aware of suicide, plus the attitudes have changed or two... That technology and society in the west is changing faster than we are evolving... thus we're not adjusting as well to our environment.
    Whereas, in the old time, which we callest the early bible times: The people of the old times was living at a higher age, around 500 and 900 years old

Early Bible times???? Uhm... what planet are you on?
    Im sticking with the proof of GOD. hUMANS are not faster or stronger or smarter:

What proof of God?
    Then i would glad to answer some of the questions that i am reading. Im done with the suicide issue, i mean everybody got problems, but suicide is still for the weak. People have time to change , and people have time to know GOD, but they "choose" not to know GOD.

What is 'GOD'? I ask again...
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    The early Bible times reference was highlighting the fact that the original characters of the Bible lived for many hundreds of years. Noah lived for several centuries as I recall. The ages gradually decreased to a normal life span.

Ah I see... I thought the guy was giving a history lesson.