Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

suicides rates amongst young men

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
theyre increasing every year and well no-one seems to be doing a thing about it

one of the main causes is apparatly disillusionment of their role as they dont know what to be, as women take on more traditional 'mens' roles, whilst a man still has to be a 'manly' man to not be frowned and mocked upon in society

what can be done???
hmmm im gradualy coming quite disillusioned myself as its all good women are getting more choice in life, so they aint chained to house, but men still have to be all macho to not be seen as a geek or fag *excuse my language* and it not just men who do it to them, as women want men who like to try and take control still

Comments

• Options
    Men can't have problems without looking weak.

If there is nowhere to turn to, death seems quite a convenient way out.
  • Options
    political correctness and fucking psycological fads and fashions have completely fucked up the role of many men.
    we now have to be seen as caring ...nappy changing ...crying ...done all these things myself and continue to do so cos thats how i was brung up ...but ...i'm also an old fashioned kind of bloke who will give you a punch in the gob if i believe it to be a rightous punch in the gob ...so i've done ok ...i haven't had to change.
    for many young men ...they are afraid of being tough for fear of being labelled a moron/thug. they are afraid of seeing a cute and gorgous five year old girl and saying ...'oh arent you gorgous' ...for obvious reasons these days.
    men are expected to wear perfume and follow fashion ...totaly new idea! in this world of self/image ...the poor old blokes seem to be lost.
    theres no heavy industry which was soley the domain of men ...men can't even have a men only club anymore!
    me ...i survived cos i have always told everyone to shove their political correctness up their arses ...and no i don't follow fashion worry about image and looks ...so much more important and enjoyable things in this life ...
    ramble super lager ramble.
  • Options
    i agree with what you are saying but in northern ireland the situation is different, we have the highest rate of suicide among young men in the UK, personally, i know 3 young men who have killed themselves in the past 5-10 yrs, and in a village of roughly 3000, that is very high, they live in fear, they are afraid to suceed, they leave school early, have no job or qualifications, get trapped in drugs, get harrased and suicide is the only option for some, its a sad situation and i don't see an end in the forseeable future
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    i agree with what you are saying but in northern ireland the situation is different, we have the highest rate of suicide among young men in the UK, personally, i know 3 young men who have killed themselves in the past 5-10 yrs, and in a village of roughly 3000, that is very high, they live in fear, they are afraid to suceed, they leave school early, have no job or qualifications, get trapped in drugs, get harrased and suicide is the only option for some, its a sad situation and i don't see an end in the forseeable future
    it's similar here in wales turl ...it is indeed a very sad problem.
    a problem we seem to have no idea how to deal with.
  • Options
    The only people to blame are the men.
    I think in this day and age it more open for the men, they dont tend to hide their feelings as much. Men can cry now without looking silly......once upon a time fellas wouldnt.

so anyways, just be who you are and if sommats bothering you then speak up. How I see it is that it takes a bigger man to admit he's got some problem or sommats bugging him, dont act all hard and macho cos somtimes you need to open up.

sorry im waffling now :)
  • Options
    Re: suicides rates amongst young men
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo

Maybe because the people who try to help them, dont bring GOD in the mix.

one of the main causes is apparatly disillusionment of their role as they dont know what to be, as women take on more traditional 'mens' roles, whilst a man still has to be a 'manly' man to not be frowned and mocked upon in society

One of the main causes is from satan, satan will try everything to bring a person down.

what can be done???

Teach people about GOD and how GOD loves you.

hmmm im gradualy coming quite disillusioned myself as its all good women are getting more choice in life, so they aint chained to house, but men still have to be all macho to not be seen as a geek or fag *excuse my language* and it not just men who do it to them, as women want men who like to try and take control still

The men and women of this world is foolish and some of them do not believe in GOD or care for GOD , and neither do they follow any of his commandments and laws, thus by me speaking, they bring destruction upon theirself with their ungodly work. Suicide is for the weak.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    The only people to blame are the men.
    I think in this day and age it more open for the men, they dont tend to hide their feelings as much. Men can cry now without looking silly......once upon a time fellas wouldnt.

so anyways, just be who you are and if sommats bothering you then speak up. How I see it is that it takes a bigger man to admit he's got some problem or sommats bugging him, dont act all hard and macho cos somtimes you need to open up.

sorry im waffling now :)
    trouble is ...most of the problem may well lay in the fact we are expecting men to behave like women ..or be equal too ...which is a nonsense in itself ...sit down and have a good cry and a biscuit with your mates ...
    didn't used to be like this. didn't used to be all these suicides .
    as humans we may well be very clever ...i don't believe we are any where near enough clever to deal with the latest clever ideas we come up with ...the proof is in the pudding so to speak.
    if we stop listening to the experts and the guidance councilors ...where would we be thats so bad?
    maybe the suicide levels would drop back to the near zero figures we used to enjoy?
    before you slag me off ...our unproven but magical sounding modern enlightenments are providing what exactly in human personal improvement and stability?
    we own ...therefore we are?
    we are scientificaly advanced therefore we are ...?
    for all our great achievments ...personal relationships and aceptance of self seem to be coming apart.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    trouble is ...most of the problem may well lay in the fact we are expecting men to behave like women ..or be equal too ...which is a nonsense in itself ...sit down and have a good cry and a biscuit with your mates ...
    didn't used to be like this. didn't used to be all these suicides .
    as humans we may well be very clever ...i don't believe we are any where near enough clever to deal with the latest clever ideas we come up with ...the proof is in the pudding so to speak.
    if we stop listening to the experts and the guidance councilors ...where would we be thats so bad?
    maybe the suicide levels would drop back to the near zero figures we used to enjoy?
    before you slag me off ...our unproven but magical sounding modern enlightenments are providing what exactly in human personal improvement and stability?
    we own ...therefore we are?
    we are scientificaly advanced therefore we are ...?
    for all our great achievments ...personal relationships and aceptance of self seem to be coming apart.

holy fuck where did you come up with that theory, its so true its unreal
  • Options
    Re: Re: suicides rates amongst young men
    Originally posted by Mystery Ridah

Suicide is for the weak.
    not sure which god your talking about here but ...a god who thought people were weak because they could take no more pain and missery and could find no other answer but to take their own lives ...aint a god i'd want to associate myself with ...or his followeres such as you.
    do you know anything at all about depression/desperation/sorrow/fear/hoipelesness ?
    didn't jesus go looking for the demoralised and broken?
    didn't jesus talk about saving the prostitutes and thieves ...didn't seem to say to much about saving the comfortable did he ...
  • Options

The men and women of this world is foolish and some of them do not believe in GOD or care for GOD , and neither do they follow any of his commandments and laws, thus by me speaking, they bring destruction upon theirself with their ungodly work. Suicide is for the weak.

you're saying this comment as if God has been scientifically proven to exist, how do you know there is a God, i know many law abiding normal atheists who are so happy that suicide is the last thing on their mind, but i also know many christains who have broken practically every law there is and are depressed to high hell, think before you speak my "prodical son"
  • Options

Maybe because the people who try to help them, dont bring GOD in the mix.

One of the main causes is from satan, satan will try everything to bring a person down.

The men and women of this world is foolish and some of them do not believe in GOD or care for GOD , and neither do they follow any of his commandments and laws, thus by me speaking, they bring destruction upon theirself with their ungodly work. Suicide is for the weak. [/B]

Is this a joke?!
  • Options
    holy fuck where did you come up with that theory, its so true its unreal
    if thats a genuine comment and not a piss take ...it's from years of living.
    being a good guy whilst being an outlaw. yes i have a robbin hood complex ...i can live with that.
    i have seen and experienced much.
    not much of it makes any fucking sense.
    hard men crying and even praying.
    soft men fighting for whats right against all the odds.
    and then there is this modern and very destructive and selfish now.
    destructive to the very ground that provides for us ...and even more destructive to each other and more so to self ...with this politicaly correct shit and the latest suedo scientific ideas about what it is to be a man and a woman ...fuck off and leave us all to work it out for ourselves and i'm sure we would be a million times better off and happeir in th long run ...sack all these so called fucking experts on sex/love/marriage/carear ...etc ...now!
    i am a bit pissed but i will stick to this.
  • Options
    i don't think he's joking, he's either one of those god-fearing people who go to mass 3 times a day or he's speaking metaphorical GOD=positive thinking SATAN=negative thinking

either way he's talking shit
  • Options
    if thats a genuine comment and not a piss take ...it's from years of living.
    being a good guy whilst being an outlaw. yes i have a robbin hood complex ...i can live with that.
    i have seen and experienced much.
    not much of it makes any fucking sense.
    hard men crying and even praying.
    soft men fighting for whats right against all the odds.
    and then there is this modern and very destructive and selfish now.
    destructive to the very ground that provides for us ...and even more destructive to each other and more so to self ...with this politicaly correct shit and the latest suedo scientific ideas about what it is to be a man and a woman ...fuck off and leave us all to work it out for ourselves and i'm sure we would be a million times better off and happeir in th long run ...sack all these so called fucking experts on sex/love/marriage/carear ...etc ...now!
    i am a bit pissed but i will stick to this.

no i wouldn't take the piss out of you, i can genuinely say that everything you've said in this post, and the "ya can piss off" post has all been in my head but i couldn't find the words to express, i know exactly what ya mean, i think drugs have unlocked a part to our brains, you can become so analytical and cynical, i've read things on this site that have made me wanna cry, laugh, every emotion known to man, the truth is, 90% of people on this site are pathetic and haven't got a clue, fuck them all
  • Options
    fuck them all
    send for the vicar ....satans got a hold of this guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    the site dot org ...your guide to the reasl world aye ...
    real doesn't seem to actualy count for much anymore does it?
  • Options
    send for the vicar ....satans got a hold of this guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    the site dot org ...your guide to the reasl world aye ...
    real doesn't seem to actualy count for much anymore does it?

depends on your perception of real, my dreams are just as real as "reality" sometimes
  • Options
    depends on your perception of real, my dreams are just as real as "reality" sometimes
    my reality is mostly what my dreams were ...apart from the fact i'm alright jack ...but the rest of you can suffer.
    that doesn't sit well with me.
    it concerns me that so many people commit suicide ...for what exactly?
    it concerns me that so many young people are convinced by the brainwashing they have had that a mortgage and another ton of lifelong debt is what it's all about ...always has been and always will be.
    it's new ...it won't last ...believe me ...
  • Options
    society has convinced us that life is indespensable, its unimportant and money is the only joy, i'm gonna hold on to this life thing for as long as i can and i'm not gonna let me throw it away
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: suicides rates amongst young men
    not sure which god your talking about here but ...a god who thought people were weak because they could take no more pain and missery and could find no other answer but to take their own lives ...aint a god i'd want to associate myself with ...or his followeres such as you.
    do you know anything at all about depression/desperation/sorrow/fear/hoipelesness ?
    didn't jesus go looking for the demoralised and broken?
    didn't jesus talk about saving the prostitutes and thieves ...didn't seem to say to much about saving the comfortable did he ...

Actually, im talking about my GOD and your GOD and the worlds GOd, thus its only 1 GOD. Also didnt i just say that people should bring GOD in the mix of talking with those who are "weak" , translation = those who commit suicide, which btw is something that is wrong is the eyes of GOD.

The only way to heal people "is" to discuss GOD, haha, not to start a bible discussion here, im just saying that those who "do" kill theirself, or thinking about killing theirself, wouldnt be in that solution if they would wake up and understand that, GOD is the only one who cares for you and can heal the pain that you are feeling.

I say unto you , that you seek after him in the early life,
  • Options
    [B i'm gonna hold on to this life [/B]
    good for you mate but ...don't just hold on ...get using it ...get enjoying it.
    get past the bullshit.
    there is enjoyment to be had even when flat broke and having nothing.
    like bob dylan said ...'when you aint got nothing ...you aint got nothing to loose.'
    trying to livce up to this media fucking version of life must be murder!
    yes i have sex three times a day and orgasm six times in each session. does that make you feel inadequet or what!
    the reality is that most people have sex twice a week and the woman doesn't always orgasm but enjoys to hell the whole thing.
    where does this bullshit come from ? whyu are we bombarded with all this unatainable stuff that makes us feel inferior ...fucked if i know in this fucked up world ...but what i do know for sure ...is it is damaging everyone beyond belief.
  • Options
    men still have to be all macho to not be seen as a geek or fag *excuse my language* and it not just men who do it to them, as women want men who like to try and take control still

TBH I can't really think of anything that can be done, I suppose men have to bite the bullet and stop thinking it's "gay" to do certain jobs, like for example being a hair dresser. I love being a fag, and I find it funny when people call me a fag, I'm proud of who I am, and homophobia is slowly dying, so I don't see why men would hate to be seen as a fag, they know who they are so why should they care so much as to what others think? Having said that, I'd hate to be called a geek, as I am not, so I suppose I'm contradicting myself a bit.:eek2:
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: suicides rates amongst young men
    those who commit suicide, which btw is something that is wrong is the eyes of GOD.

can you show me where you get that from?
  • Options
    Originally posted by chaos_insomniac
    TBH I can't really think of anything that can be done, I suppose men have to bite the bullet and stop thinking it's "gay" to do certain jobs, like for example being a hair dresser. I love being a fag, and I find it funny when people call me a fag, I'm proud of who I am, and homophobia is slowly dying, so I don't see why men would hate to be seen as a fag, they know who they are so why should they care so much as to what others think? Having said that, I'd hate to be called a geek, as I am not, so I suppose I'm contradicting myself a bit.:eek2:
    good on you chaos ...your a changed man! maybe thats it ...you have grown from boy to man ...all power to you.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: suicides rates amongst young men
    good on you chaos ...your a changed man! maybe thats it ...you have grown from boy to man ...all power to you.

hmmm, I'm sure you've said something like that before. You can stop now. Really. My head doesn't need to grow, it grew enough yesterday with people on here calling me fit :lol:
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: suicides rates amongst young men
    can you show me where you get that from?

First here is something you should read:

Yes, Elijah felt totally alone—and not without reason. A great many of his fellow prophets had been killed. A death threat was hanging over his own head, and he was on the run for his life. But was he truly alone? No. GOD let him know that there were some 7,000 loyal people who, like him, were faithfully trying to serve the true God in those dark times. (1 Kings 19:1-18)

Second, the bible mentions that you are suppose to lived and die for GOD, not for yourself, not for another man, or woman, but GOD and GOD only.

Also i dont think it mentions suicide in the bible, but its common sense. GOD is long suffering, GOD is loving, Why thou takest life the wrong way, when the right way is to lived?
  • Options
    My apologies now if this sounds a little blunt, but the bible doesn't make any difference to me, and in a world where Christianity is dying, do you really think that there are many people who want to commit suicide but will turn to God and decide not to do it?

edited because it made little sense. lol.
  • Options

below is an abstract of some research near by to me. Things are being done, but up until recently people have ignored suicide. Devon has one of the highest rates, infact, the rate here is higher than Mosside in Manchester. Owens, the author of this study has done a number of studies and written other papers and done various presentations such as "why are young men killing themselves" and others.

http://www.nimhe.org.uk/priorities/suicide.asp will show that suicide and preventing it is a priority. Mental health NHS trusts have targets for implementing the NIMHE tool kit.
    other research shows that regular A&E atendees have a higher risk of suicide. therefore psychological/psychiatric assessments in A&E have been given the resources they need to be effective.
    Things are being done.

Crisis. 2003;24(3):113-21. Related Articles, Links

Suicide outside the care of mental health services: a case-controlled psychological autopsy study.

Owens C, Booth N, Briscoe M, Lawrence C, Lloyd K.

Mental Health Research Group, Peninsula Medical School, Exeter, UK.

BACKGROUND: Three-quarters of people who commit suicide are not in contact with mental health services at the time of death. No previous UK study has focused specifically on this group of suicides. AIMS: To identify the characteristics of people who commit suicide while outside the care of mental health services. METHOD: A case-control study was conducted in SW England involving 100 individuals who committed suicide while not in contact with mental health services and 100 age-sex matched controls drawn from the living population. Data were collected by means of semistructured interviews with key informants and from medical records. RESULTS: Key predictors of suicide were previous attempted suicide, social and interpersonal problems, current mental illness, past mental illness, and previous contact with specialist services. However, nearly a third of cases (32%) appeared to have no current mental disorder. CONCLUSION: This group is distinguished by a markedly lower rate of mental illness than has previously been recorded. The findings highlight the difficulty of identifying individuals outside specialist mental health care who are at risk of suicide and therefore support the continued development of broad population-based measures rather than the targeting of high-risk groups.

PMID: 14518644 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
  • Options
    The only way to heal people "is" to discuss GOD, haha, not to start a bible discussion here, im just saying that those who "do" kill theirself, or thinking about killing theirself, wouldnt be in that solution if they would wake up and understand that, GOD is the only one who cares for you and can heal the pain that you are feeling.

The Romans had the right idea with people like you.
  • Options

I say unto you , that you seek after him in the early life,

Why is it that when I see this, all I can think to respond is with this:

Originally posted by Mr Roll
    fuck off and leave us all to work it out for ourselves and i'm sure we would be a million times better off and happeir in th long run

We don't need preaching to. We need to be allowed to work things out for ourselves. The "right" answer for me is not necessarily the right answer for eveyone.

If you find solice in religion Ridah then all power to you, but you should be so arrogant as to assume that we will all find salvation in that.

For me, when I was contemplating suicide, it certainly wasn't God I spoke to.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: suicides rates amongst young men
    Originally posted by Kermit
    The Romans had the right idea with people like you.

Nice theory.

I think that animal rights would complain about teh standard of food being offered to the lions though...