Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

smacking

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I personally believe that the 'type' of child you have depends on how you bring them up in the first place. A lot depends on environment.

I take offence at that, i have a almost 5 month old baby, he ALREADY has a very bad temper on him. Are you saying that he has this because of me?! I would like to know how i would have made him into a very bad tempered little boy (only on occasions) in such a short time?!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Good parents don't need to smack.

I disagree with that comment, when James is older if i see fit for him to get a smack will help him learn that what he did was wrong then i will, obviously only in certain circumstances.
    I don't think that makes me a bad parent at all.

I was smacked as a child also, i am in no way violent to anyone infact i am very much the opposite.
  • Options
    Originally posted by littlemissy
    wheresmyplacebo - i think you have it spot on :)

i spent all day on this forum yesterday arguing, how sad!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    Are you saying that he has this because of me?!

you are in no way to blame, he is an individual. We have cheeky babies, we have cute babies, we have babies who cry lots of the time and we have babies that sleep etc.
    Babies come with their own personality and if James has a bad temper then he must take after his Dad ;)

wheremyplacebo, you didnt argue...........debated sounds better ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    you are in no way to blame, he is an individual. We have cheeky babies, we have cute babies, we have babies who cry lots of the time and we have babies that sleep etc.
    Babies come with their own personality and if James has a bad temper then he must take after his Dad ;)

Yes yus thats it :). i know i am not to blame, i have done nothing but care for him & make him happy.
  • Options
    slightly off topic but have you noticed eccentric parents breed mature kids and nice/stirict/normal parents breed erm.... immature kids

strange that is
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo

wheremyplacebo, you didnt argue...........debated sounds better ;)

i totally agree with you becky. in reading this thread i kept thinking and getting annoyed with various arguments from other posters and then a bit further down there would be a reply from you saying exactly what i was thinking! :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by littlemissy
    so are you saying that people who have been smacked as a child will be bad parents. i take offence.
    erm, none was intended and ive reread my statements and cant see where ive said that or implied it. :eek2:
    paranoia.

I am saying that if youve been brought up being smacked, then sometimes you just do what your parents did without thinking because thats what comes naturally. Sometimes it might be harder for these parents to adjust and it will need support to make the transition to other forms of discipline and guidance - I was actually acknowleging that its not a case of bad parenting as such, but more like just a culture that continues and it wont be all that easy to just stop for some people. Parenting classes may or may not help, but they should be available for those that feel they cant cope without being able to smack.
  • Options
    I take offence at that, i have a almost 5 month old baby, he ALREADY has a very bad temper on him. Are you saying that he has this because of me?! I would like to know how i would have made him into a very bad tempered little boy (only on occasions) in such a short time?!
    dont worry about it Tweety. When Lenny was about that age, the health visitor told me he had a temper on him. He hasnt got a particularly bad temper at all now. Of course he has his moments like any other child, but its a learning process and at 5 months old, they cant comprehend the idea that things arent always exactly as they want them. Its not something you teach them, its something they just learn on their own.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    dont worry about it Tweety. When Lenny was about that age, the health visitor told me he had a temper on him. He hasnt got a particularly bad temper at all now. Of course he has his moments like any other child, but its a learning process and at 5 months old, they cant comprehend the idea that things arent always exactly as they want them. Its not something you teach them, its something they just learn on their own.

Can but hope. Apparently the star sign doesnt help, strong minded an all.
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    but banning smacking would also punish actual decent parents who use it in restraint

the parents that smack their kids in safeway, i wonder what theyre like at home? :confused:

the argument for not banning smacking gets highjacked by those who are like "its a quick punishment and beats no punishment at all"

whilst im just arguing almost every form of punishment has its place and i believe there is a place for smacking

like some of us have said already, theres a difference between a gentle smack and a beating

my only reason for arguing against this new law is that its a highly subjective law due to what constitutes a gentle smack, as if a parent leaves a gentle red mark as the kid has sensitive skin, then they could be prosecuted and what aobut kids with darker skin who dont get red marks etc

if a parent beats their kid theres already laws to stop it, so why not just enforce the laws better???

do you not agree with my previous points?
    Placebo I do agree with a lot of what you say, and i really like your debating style too. I see exactly what youre saying.
    I think your point about different children having different skin sensitivities, and thats an excellent valid point. I must say that I see that as a reason for banning it outright rather than leaving a halfway mark that might work for sensitive skinned white children, but youre not going to see a thing on a black child.
    I agree with you that it would be terrible to prosecute parents for an occasional slap. Im sure most parents have done it, and it would be completely outrageous for them to be criminalised. I have argued the same point myself in the past, but all evidence from the other countries where they have banned smacking has shown that there isnt an increase in prosecutions, noone actually gets prosecuted for one off incidents. None of the worries that people had have actually materialised. Child abuse rates have gone down because it gives a clear message to what is and what isnt acceptable. People arent given half hearted messages like here saying oh its OK as long as it doesnt leave a mark.
    The reason why its hard to enforce the child abuse laws as they stand is because there is always the defence of `reasonable chastisement`. If they ban smacking or regulate the boundaries, then there isnt that defence anymore. Child abusers cant get away with saying I did it because he was naughty.
    I actually argued a lot of the same points as you did on a seperate forum recently, but Ive had my mind changed. Im not against people who do give an occasional smack. Its the action I dont like, not the people.
  • Options
    Can but hope. Apparently the star sign doesnt help, strong minded an all.
    LOL, Lennys a Picses too :cool:
    creative, musical funny and a bit eccentric :cool:
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    erm, none was intended and ive reread my statements and cant see where ive said that or implied it. :eek2:
    paranoia.

sorry, i misinterpreted what you said but it has been implied by some people in this debate.
  • Options
    LOL, Lennys a Picses too :cool:
    creative, musical funny and a bit eccentric :cool:

James is an Aquarius, if hes anything like my sister eek! hehe
  • Options
    James is an Aquarius, if hes anything like my sister eek! hehe
    what am i saying, Lennys an aquarius too :o , I keep saying he is a picses because of the fact he was 5 weeks prem and he was SUPPOSED to be one LOL. his birthday is 8th feb. I think ive lost my mind.
  • Options
    How to explain this.

Children who grow up in an environment where smacking is the norm grow up to be parents who see nothing wrong with smacking. Children who grow up in an environment where there is no smacking are appalled at the thought of it when they are parents. It's why corporal punishment will be seen as a heinous and barbaric primeval act within a generation.

Young children and toddlers are a law unto themselves, but when children mature generally their behaviour is learned from parents and other role models. Hence why chauvinists breed chauvinists.

I agree with rainbow brite- it is the action that is distasteful, not the person doing it. Using violence, however slight, to control another person is wrong on so many levels, and no amount of "it never did me any harm" arguments will change that. The cane never did most people any harm, but it is still barbaric, cruel, and outdated in a modern society.

There are ways of controlling children without hitting them.
  • Options
    Maybe you have a point Kermit, i was smacked therefore i see no harm in it, not as a rare occasion if needed.

I still see nothing wrong with it in the right circumstances.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    How to explain this.

Children who grow up in an environment where smacking is the norm grow up to be parents who see nothing wrong with smacking. Children who grow up in an environment where there is no smacking are appalled at the thought of it when they are parents. It's why corporal punishment will be seen as a heinous and barbaric primeval act within a generation.

Young children and toddlers are a law unto themselves, but when children mature generally their behaviour is learned from parents and other role models. Hence why chauvinists breed chauvinists.

I agree with rainbow brite- it is the action that is distasteful, not the person doing it. Using violence, however slight, to control another person is wrong on so many levels, and no amount of "it never did me any harm" arguments will change that. The cane never did most people any harm, but it is still barbaric, cruel, and outdated in a modern society.

There are ways of controlling children without hitting them.

kermit i do agree with your own perspective, but just because i was brought up with a very smack, doesnt make me any less right than you...

being hit by a cane is very different to an occasional, not even that, a rare smack

and a smack isnt there to injure or cause abuse as shown below from the merriam webster dictionary site, and either of those is illegal anyway these days under child abuse, as it isnt reasonable chastisement

Main Entry: vi·o·lence
    Pronunciation: 'vI-l&n(t)s, 'vI-&-
    Function: noun
    1 a : exertion of physical force so as to injure or abuse (as in effecting illegal entry into a house) b : an instance of violent treatment or procedure
    2 : injury by or as if by distortion, infringement, or profanation : OUTRAGE
  • Options
    The crux of this argument restso on whether or not it is acceptable for a parent to ensure his or her child "behaves" with violence.

There is no definitive answer. Some people believe it is acceptable for a parent to hit a child who is not "behaving", some people believe it is not.

However the facts are that if I "tapped" an adult on the bottom for not "behaving" I would be liable for battery. Children should be treated as mini adults, and as such should be protected from battery for whatever reason, just as adults are.