Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Condoms

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Just buy them on the internet!

There are many decent, secure sites to buy from. Many have 'jumbo' deals which are good value for money. Also look on e-bay

Happy shopping!

Condoms on ebay? Why would you do that?
  • Options
    White NoiseWhite Noise Posts: 624 Incredible Poster
    kobraski wrote:
    anyone who is embarrassed by buying condoms is not mature enough to have sex. fact.

common, explain yourself. please feel free to include as many 'facts' as you like :rolleyes:
  • Options
    common, explain yourself. please feel free to include as many 'facts' as you like :rolleyes:

If you are embarrassed by buying condoms then you are either embarrassed about having sex, or embarrassed about who you are having sex with. If you feel embarrassment about sex then you are not mature. If you are not mature you shouldn't be having sex.

Fact.

kobraski is perfectly correct with their comments.
  • Options
    I cant realy agree with that If my Dad and his partner decided to use condoms, (theyve got a kid dont think she's hit the menopause yet)I could see my dad being embarised about getting them.

I was once going to see a girl and stopped off at a garage (only a few years ago I was bout 26) put some petrol in and was going to buy some condoms went up to the garage only 1 pretty girl behind the counter and a que behind me and I winmped out of buying them (before is similer situations I have bought them but this time I just wimped out)

anyway it worked out OK cause she didnt have sex with me, we didnt get on and I never say her again.
  • Options
    White NoiseWhite Noise Posts: 624 Incredible Poster
    Kermit wrote:
    If you are embarrassed by buying condoms then you are either embarrassed about having sex, or embarrassed about who you are having sex with. If you feel embarrassment about sex then you are not mature. If you are not mature you shouldn't be having sex.

Fact.

sorry, your logic's a bit out there. being embarrassed by buying condoms doesn't mean someone can't have safe and responsible sex. I'm guessing when you mention maturity, in this sense, that’s what you meant?

OK, if someone's so embarrassed that they don't buy any and has unprotected sex, then yes, they shouldn't be doing it but this doesn't mean that anyone who is embarrassed and does buy them shouldn't have sex.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Fact.

Using sweeping statements like that shows a very immature attitude, there are a number of reasons why someone may not wish to but condoms from a shop, Kermit, growing up is about understanding other people, not judging them.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Boozy wrote:
    Using sweeping statements like that shows a very immature attitude

Sweep;ing statements like what?

And how, exactly, is my attitude immature?
    there are a number of reasons why someone may not wish to but condoms from a shop

I'm sure there are.

If you are too embarrassed to buy condoms from a shop then you are immature about sex. You can be 99 and immature about sex. You shouldn't be having sex if you are immature about it.

If you don't buy condoms from a shop because dad owns the shop and he'll murder you if he sees then that is a valid reason, nothing to do with either immaturity or embarrassment.
    growing up is about understanding other people, not judging them.

Thank you for that useful titbit of information.

I can understand why people are embarrassed by buying condoms in shops. But that doesn't stop it being immature behaviour.

Immature people shouldn't be having sex, but I understand why they may want to.

You are yet to learn that it is possible to understand all of someone's reasons without actually liking any of them.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Fact.

I'd call that pretty much a sweeping statement, and a statement I would expect from a 14-15 year old. With maturity usually comes the ability to analyse and look at issues in other colours than black and white.

Now if you stopped to think about it a little more, I'm sure you would understand how silly your statement was.

Lets give you some examples I have a friend who is a muslem woman, she's having a relationship that her parents would not think kindly about, now she's not embarrassed about the relationship, but she would rather her parents didn't find out about it, now she is terrified that someone might see her buying the condoms and tell her parents. It's a risk she doesn't want to take.

A young person may well think that they will be asked for id when buying condoms and wish not to be put in that position.

I used to have a very bad stammer, the thought of buying a packet of condoms in a chemist freaked me out, because I was terrified that the assistant was going to engage me in conversation, so I found that on the odd occasion I needed to aquire a condom, it was far better to use the machine in the pub toilets.

I've had friends who have said they were to nervous to buy condoms, they wern't embarrased about their girlfriends or the fact they were having sex however.

Remember also that in a lot of peoples minds condoms are associated with a liberal attitude to sex and not with being in a stable relationship, that is especially true of older people.

Immature behaviour is buying a packet of condoms, they using them as water balloons, or winking at the checkout girl as you buy them.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    You are yet to learn that it is possible to understand all of someone's reasons without actually liking any of them.

Whether you like a reason or not, it doesn't make a persons choice invalid, you are trying to impose your views your prejudice on other people, you don't have to agree with someone or like like a person to understand them.

I was in two minds as to whether your tagline was poking fun at those extreme right wing elements or sympathising with them, your comments are suggesting to me that you probably share there views.
  • Options
  • Options
    Boozy wrote:

A young person may well think that they will be asked for id when buying condoms and wish not to be put in that position.

Indeed they might. But if you actually read what Kermit was saying, he wasn't talking about that, he was talking about being too embarrased.

Read the scenerio that bigmama described again. bigmama wasn't worried about being asked for ID, wasn't bothered by some kind of difficulty that might have made buying condoms a difficult task, and wasn't expecting someone to leap over the counter and knife them for buying the condoms.. bigmama was, to quote
    so embarrased i ran out!

And that's what he was talking about.
  • Options
    Boozy wrote:
    I have a friend who is a muslem woman, she's having a relationship that her parents would not think kindly about, now she's not embarrassed about the relationship, but she would rather her parents didn't find out about it, now she is terrified that someone might see her buying the condoms and tell her parents. It's a risk she doesn't want to take.

Now you know where I said that "daddy finding out" isn't about embarrassment?

Thank you.

That's not embarrassment either.
    I used to have a very bad stammer, the thought of buying a packet of condoms in a chemist freaked me out, because I was terrified that the assistant was going to engage me in conversation, so I found that on the odd occasion I needed to aquire a condom, it was far better to use the machine in the pub toilets.

That's not embarrassment about condoms.

Now we could go on all day like this, as you don't seem to have grasped my point in any way. I'll try again.

If you are too embarrassed to buy condoms then you are immature about sex. People who are immature about sex should not be having sex.

Immature people are not bad people. But they are not mature enough to deal with the consequences of sex if they go bright red and run out of a shop when buying a family pack of Durex. Therefore they shouldn't have sex.

My tagline is a very old joke played on me by the boss of TheSite a very long time ago.
  • Options
    I don't agree with you Kermit (but then, what's new ay ;) )

There are certain things I get embarassed about, and then there are some things I don't... I find it embarassing buying condoms from a shop.

However, talking to my partner about them and using them, I don't get embarassed because I have chosen to use them/talk about them with someone I'm comfortable with.

When you walk into a shop, you don't want the whole of aisle 9, knowing about your sex life really, do you? (unless you're some form of exhibitionist!)

So, does that make me too immature to be buying condoms, purely because I get embarassed about a stranger knowing I have a sex life? when I'm completely comfortable having a sex life with someone I'm comfortable with?

I get embarrased buying anything at a checkout let alone condoms. Does that make me immature? and if so, how?

Ilora x
  • Options
    when I'm completely comfortable having a sex life with someone I'm comfortable with?

If you're completely comfortable then what difference does it make whether a few strangers see you buying a pack of condoms? Really, they will most likely have better things to do in their life than bother about what you're buying in any case.
  • Options
    I havn't used condoms for a very long time, (in a steady relationship, hope my wife would agree, wife far happier with the pill), I'm not ashamed of my wife or us having sex, when she has her injection, I drive her to the clinic and wait in the waiting room for her to finish, but I would not like it if we had to buy condoms, my personal opinion is that they are horrible things, things that stop you and your partner getting close, and I wouldn't want people to see me buying them.

Mind you my partner has never had a problem buying them, but people are different, if we were all the same the world would be boring.
  • Options
    I don't think it would bother me at all, and I'm 15. But then again I've never been in that situation - either my bf has supplied the johnnies, or, for the last 5 and a half months, I've been on the pill.
  • Options
    I get embarrased buying anything at a checkout let alone condoms.

If you are embarrassed by the social contact then that is different to being embarrassed by the condoms. Do you also have difficulty reading?

If you are only embarrassed by purchasing condoms then yes, that makes you immature. It makes you one of those silly giggly people who thinks sex is dirty and should be hidden away.

If you are embarrassed by purchasing general items from a shop then that makes you socially incompetent. Whether that counts as immaturity is not what is being discussed.
  • Options
    Wow, Kermit, you really are a jerk. You couldn't be any more up your own arse if you tried.

And I thought I was opinionated. :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Wow, Kermit, you really are a jerk.

Why thank you.

Given that you're wrong about everything else, that's a really nice compliment.
    And I thought I was opinionated.

I love this.

You ask me to justify what I think, and when I do I'm "opinionated".
  • Options
    Shit, I'm immature... I find it really embarrasing buying condoms :rolleyes:
  • Options
    My first b/f was pathetic though, he said he was mature enough and ready for sex, but he point blank refused to buy condoms cos "its a girls job" :eek2: :eek2:

If its a girls job to get the condoms it shoul be a guys job to have periods (imagine... a whole life without it :chin: )

I dont have any problem buying them... If you're old enough go to a sex shop and buy them from there, its no secret what your doing there, you dont have to be embarassed about it and while you wait you can see somenthing else for yourself (of your parter ) :thumb:
  • Options
    Wow, Kermit, you really are a jerk. You couldn't be any more up your own arse if you tried.

I'm sorry but i kinda have to agree... I sometimes am less at ease walking into a shop and ask for something than when i enter a sex shop or buy condoms...

Does that make me immature for shopping?

Good Lord Kermit... Think a bit for gods sake... :banghead:

I also read above that if someone was afraid that their parents would find out, they were also immature.... Look, my b/f mother knows that he has sex, my entire family doesnt but my friends all know... Familys are different you know?? I know I wouldnt want my mother asking me if I used a condom or taken the pill!!

That would be more embarassing than beeing caught at it!!! :shocking: :shocking:
  • Options
    true, everyone's confidence is difference too. we can't all be comfortable with it.

As long as you use protection in the end, who gives a crap if you were embarrassed to buy em eh?
  • Options
    yayyy :D
  • Options
    I don't think being embarassed makes you immature. Although when I first bought condoms I wasn't so much 'embarassed' but anxious. I realise now that I had no reason to be anxious but doing something for the first time..arent you always a little bit worried? The feeling soon fades as you get used to it.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    I don't think being embarassed makes you immature. Although when I first bought condoms I wasn't so much 'embarassed' but anxious. I realise now that I had no reason to be anxious but doing something for the first time..arent you always a little bit worried? The feeling soon fades as you get used to it.

I would say I was anxious as well but I figure a way to get around I just went into ann summers and bought them in my city centre. I thought well they are used to people buying all sorts of different stuff to do with it. I have to say i did relax alot more lol